1 minute ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

what the fuck is an EP 

its an album in my books

An extended play record, often referred to as an EP, is a musical recording that contains more tracks than a single, but is usually unqualified as an album or LP. Lies is 4 songs and LLAS is 4 previously released songs. So in this case a double EP 

UYI is the follow up album to AFD

• Like 2

Just now, double talkin jive mfkr said:

no 

nobody fucking bought live like a suicide except like 40 people 

the combination is irrelevant 

its an album buddy - u buy an album in a music store its an album not some single tape 

Yeah, that’s why they included the songs on “B Sides and EP’s” on the recent remaster 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, guitarpatch said:

Yeah, that’s why they included the songs on “B Sides and EP’s” on the recent remaster 

yeah well in 89 or whatever it was an album for everoyne that didnt buy live like a suicide up until fernando's awesome box set with trinkets 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

6 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

It’s not an album. It’s an EP

I always considered the 2 EPS combined an album since you really couldn't buy LLAS.  8 songs isn't that many for an album these days but there are tons of all time classics from the 70's with 8 or 9 songs on them.  LIES is my second favorite Gn'R album. F'n love it. I actually just bought two Vinyl copies of it within the last week or two! \m/

4 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I always considered the 2 EPS combined an album since you really couldn't buy LLAS.  8 songs isn't that many for an album these days but there are tons of all time classics from the 70's with 8 or 9 songs on them.  LIES is my second favorite Gn'R album. F'n love it. I actually just bought two Vinyl copies of it within the last week or two! \m/

yeahhh boy 

name one other album with better drumming on the live shit at least then a complete filp of the coin with the acoustics and axl belting out his angry rasp at its finest  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I go by how many record contracts defined the difference during that time. Specifically new songs that were above a certain number of tracks or running length. I don’t think Lies meets that criteria. Its more of a double EP 

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:
1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

care to explain why to me its the best album where 5 guys jammed as best as possible and no other frontman came close to vocal range 

Axl’s vocals on this album are incredible. This album was the perfect follow up to AFD. 

I like Lies but it's the not best "album" compared to Appetite or the Illusions. You're Crazy & Patience are my favorite tracks from that double EP, the rest besides One in a Million are just decent I guess buy I dont like the fake crowd on the LLAS tracks (yes I do know why the fake crowd is mixed in) but I do like the Niven demos from Lies. Overall I'd rate it 6.5/10.

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

no 

nobody fucking bought live like a suicide except like 40 people 

the combination is irrelevant 

its an album buddy - u buy an album in a music store its an album not some single tape like yesterays and november rain

No its a double EP if anything. 

It is also only 4 new songs. Live like a suicides sale numbers is irrelevant. 

Lies is great but saying its the best so called in your words "album" of all time is a over statement on so many levels.

Heh, as a "collection of songs" I think it is great. As a kid, I mostly listened to the acoustic tracks and Mama Kin, but lately I have grown very fond of Reckless Life. Killer song. To me, that song is very representative of GN'R pre-Appetite.

Anyway, the distinction between EPs and LPs (albums) might not be as obvious today in the era of online releases, but growing up with vinyls it was. The distinction was also important to GN'R when Lies was released:

Duff: "[…] we just did it in like two days. We recorded that. This is not our next album, you know, I must clarify that, it's just an in-between. The next album we'll start recording in January. That's when we're gonna to take a lot of time, months, okay? So this is just...how do I word this, I don't wanna say it's filler because it's not, but it's just in between the two records, it's a different side of us." [Interview with Steve Harris, December 1988]

Slash: "This EP is just to hold everyone off until we get the next album done. Since this record's done so well, we stayed on tour longer than we expected. That pushed our recording plans back a bit. We want everyone to understand that this EP isn't our second album - it's just to fill the gap until that record's done. We've already gotten a lot of songs written for that one and they're really good. We think it's safe to say that we're gonna be around for a long time to come - no matter what everyone says about us." [Hit Parader, March 1989]

Slash: "The EP's not meant to be taken all that seriously. It's not done... It wasn't done expensively. It's not like, a major album. It's not anything... It's just like, a sort of filler. [...] I didn't think should go on the actual album. And we needed something to put out to fill the gap between the first record and the next one. It's really not that big a deal. [...] It's not meant to be taken as seriously as, say an album is taken. It's real sloppy, it's got us talking in the background, guitar picks dropping. You know, stuff like that. It's out of tune at a lot of places. It's just us sort of hanging out, getting drunk and playing." [MTV, October 1988].

More here: http://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p90-the-history-in-their-own-words#15913

• Like 2