it's more a compilation really, an artificially put together bunch of songs. great songs at that.

but the repeat of "you're crazy", even in it's slow acoustic version, was a bit lazy.

So basically, 7 "new" songs. A bit too little.

the best album by any band, is still undecided

27 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Duff: "[…] we just did it in like two days. We recorded that. This is not our next album, you know, I must clarify that, it's just an in-between. The next album we'll start recording in January. That's when we're gonna to take a lot of time, months, okay? So this is just...how do I word this, I don't wanna say it's filler because it's not, but it's just in between the two records, it's a different side of us." [Interview with Steve Harris, December 1988]

Duff being spineless and cautious as usual

2 minutes ago, action said:

it's more a compilation really, an artificially put together bunch of songs. great songs at that.

but the repeat of "you're crazy", even in it's slow acoustic version, was a bit lazy.

So basically, 7 "new" songs. A bit too little.

the best album by any band, is still undecided

I'm pretty sure You're Crazy originally was supposed to be acoustic but then Mike Clink made them do a rock version of it. The original version of You're Crazy was a B Side on WTTJ

• Like 1

I like the record, it captures them in a certain moment or phase, but it’s definitely not the best one (although determining a single best record is impossible for me anyway). The faux live songs (still don’t understand why they didn’t use their own crowds) including covers, the acoustic second part, and Axl saying retrospectively he wasn’t satisfied with his voice there (I like it, though). It’s an EP, a great one but not the best thing made by them. Not that it’s really comparable...

13 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I like the record, it captures them in a certain moment or phase, but it’s definitely not the best one (although determining a single best record is impossible for me anyway). The faux live songs (still don’t understand why they didn’t use their own crowds) including covers, the acoustic second part, and Axl saying retrospectively he wasn’t satisfied with his voice there (I like it, though). It’s an EP, a great one but not the best thing made by them. Not that it’s really comparable...

exactly the last part is why i think its number one - you can't compare it to anything 

1 minute ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

exactly the last part is why i think its number one - you can't compare it to anything 

it's not a race to be "uncomparable", but a race to be "the best".

the two don't have anything in common. being special does not mean "being the best".

per analogy; you can't compare prince andrew to any other royal. Does that make him the best one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I'm pretty sure You're Crazy originally was supposed to be acoustic but then Mike Clink made them do a rock version of it. The original version of You're Crazy was a B Side on WTTJ

It was indeed written on acoustic guitars and its original form was acoustic: http://www.a-4-d.com/t81-you-re-crazy

I am not so sure Clink was involved in electrifying it, though, seems like the band itself wanted a harder version of the song.

• Like 1

Lies are the last straw of old GnR AFD era. I do love it and you can feel the band unity which is important after we all know what happened. It is almost like you are at some party and someone brings guitars on and singing starts.

Brilliant. And I prefer less songs and not 14 songs album with 6 fillers.

• Like 1

LLAS is fucking awesome. Its Guns perfecting Rock N Roll. Its also, it must be said, them pretending to have come from an independent label scene, which they did not.

The acoustic side has Patience, so thats fantastic. 

Just exploring the term EP, Extended Play, it carries a few meanings. In this case I would suggest the one that Duff and Slash are alluding to - the EP is to extend the successful album cycle. Put out just in time for Christmas it was Guns first cash grab.

Dont shoot the messenger - Guns were prepared to call their own tour doc "Perfect Crime!"

Lies is fuckin' great. One thing I think the band could have done if they didn't have new material at the time is choosing 4 Rolling Stones tunes and cover them acoustically. Would have been perfect if they had 4 more original acoustic tunes in the same quality of what got released on the album though.

I do think LLAS and the 4 acoustic tunes work really well together.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Lies is fuckin' great. One thing I think the band could have done if they didn't have new material at the time is choosing 4 Rolling Stones tunes and cover them acoustically. Would have been perfect if they had 4 more original acoustic tunes in the same quality of what got released on the album though.

well said

its the only album that gives credence to the fact that gnr could have produced any genre of music ranging from country (youre crazy) to pure rock (reckless life) to spanish themed tunes à la used to love her 

furthermore the only half filler song is move to the city, appetite has more filler 

what they should've done is included shadow and dead flowers then u got the best album - i know i was exagerating a tad here boys

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I think that band could've wrote a few decent EP track in their fuckin' sleep that'd piss all over most mainstream bands releases of the day if they weren't such a bunch of fuckin' wankers.

• Like 1

Four "live" songs, featuring two covers, an alt take of an existing song, a homophobic/racist song that the band all but disowned, a fun but ultimately sexist song, and Patience. Not exactly groundbreaking or even the pinnacle of GnR's catalog.  But you're welcome to feel that way.  That's the great thing about opinions, we're all entitled to them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

well said

its the only album that gives credence to the fact that gnr could have produced any genre of music ranging from country (youre crazy) to pure rock (reckless life) to spanish themed tunes à la used to love her 

furthermore the only half filler song is move to the city, appetite has more filler 

what they should've done is included shadow and dead flowers then u got the best album - i know i was exagerating a tad here boys

Well they deliberately left Shadow of Your Love off Lies precisely because it is too similar to Reckless and Nice Boys, fast punky hard rock.

They couldn't realistically have put Dead Flowers on the same record as Used To Love Her, because UTLH just is their own reworking of Dead Flowers. 

How do you figure Crazy is a country song? It's a heavy blues track created from jamming around The Seeker. I don't hear much country in it. UTLH is more country than Crazy.

10 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

Well they deliberately left Shadow of Your Love off Lies precisely because it is too similar to Reckless and Nice Boys, fast punky hard rock.

They couldn't realistically have put Dead Flowers on the same record as Used To Love Her, because UTLH just is their own reworking of Dead Flowers. 

How do you figure Crazy is a country song? It's a heavy blues track created from jamming around The Seeker. I don't hear much country in it. UTLH is more country than Crazy.

you're crazy is classified as country if you put closed captioning on such as in the film gone baby gone 

furthermore its intro is similar to Dwight Yoakam - guitars and cadillacs