If LLAS was recorded with the same quality as the Spaghetti Incident or the acoustic tracks (obviously it was an EP and their first release, it's not going to be the same quality as TSI or even UYI for that matter); then for me it would probably be the second best GN'R record. But currently, it is an EP with 3 original songs, one of which we'll never hear live again, and a re-release of their first EP--which is just fine. Honestly it must've been such a tease in '88 after Appetite

Even though it is a "double" EP, I always somewhat considered it as an album too. Why? Because it was really done well, with an interesting cover/booklet and had enough content coming from the same period of the band (first year and half) to satisfy me after Appetite. Also, it went a little deeper in the concept of Side A (Guns) with LLAS and Side B (Roses), as was cleverly put in AFD. So I loved it since day one. OIAM is one of my top 5, the arrangements there are simply outstanding, borderline genius.

I love the quality of LLAS, I think it was done extremely well, and naturally captures the band in all its primordial raw glory without unnecessary and redundant overdubs (apart from the crowd fx). Yet the sound is so freaking clear.

Edited by AncientEvil80
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

20 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

OIAM has always been one of my favorite Guns songs .. Not because of the lyrics .. But because the music is so fucking good!

agreed it gives a smidgen of what could have been GNR moving forward with the entire band in unison and the piano in the outro is so fucking killer nothing more bad ass then the last minute of that song - u wont find axl ever reaching those same notes again on much too high 

I actually like the shit quality recording on the LLAS tracks, I think it suits them. I even think I would prefer to hear some of the rockers off UYI recorded like that. Right Next Door, Perfect Crime and Garden of Eden are similarly paced etc but sound almost too polished in the production for what they are.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

adlers drumming on nice boys may be the best drumming on any gnr song minus brownstone 

With you on that.. Well it's maybe not amazingly complicated but it's fast and pounding with good swing and some nice fills, it's one of my favourite tracks (so is Browstone)

Lies is amazing, there isn't a shit song on it, lyrics of OIAM aside. 

I think You're Crazy is one of the best examples of Axl's vocal versatility, it's sublime. 

Edited by Nice Boy
  • Like 1

This is the same old same old. The fact is, all this comparison is completely nonsensical. GN’R are a unique band in many aspects, one of them being that given the small amount of records and the frequent line-up changes, it’s impossible – or rather illogical – to seriously compare the albums. Lies is not better than TSI, TSI is not better than Lies, Appetite is not better than UYI, UYI is not better than Lies... Each of the albums was created in different times, by quite a different people, with a different sound, intent, stage, and configuration than any of the others. 
And btw, comparing Lies with Spaghetti is ridiculous in particular, although I sense it was just a joke. Different people, different era, one is an acoustic/live stuff from the early days, the other one is a studio record of solely cover versions, with utterly different sound and made by a band that was about to break up... no need to go on. 
People surely have favourite songs and perhaps albums, but any serious attempt at logical comparison is just nonsense. 
Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by jamillos

On 11/20/2019 at 12:57 AM, SoulMonster said:

but lately I have grown very fond of Reckless Life

This song continues to grow on me. I have always loved it but now I find it phenomenal.. I am contemplating getting a tattoo that says "Reckless Life"..  It is very fitting

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 3:00 AM, Popcorn crew said:

Lies are the last straw of old GnR AFD era. I do love it and you can feel the band unity which is important after we all know what happened. It is almost like you are at some party and someone brings guitars on and singing starts.

Brilliant. And I prefer less songs and not 14 songs album with 6 fillers.

Yup.. 8 awesome songs no filler (in my opinion). 8 songs is enough to constitute an album for me. All Aerosmith's classic albums in the 70's either had 8 or 9 songs on all of them. Same with AC/DC.. Led Zeppelin IV only had 8 songs as well. The list could go on forever. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 8:52 PM, Evil Doer said:

I think it was Tom Zutaut who said that Reckless Life should have been on Appetite and I agree.  A finished version of Reckless on Appetite would have been a great fit.  Shadow should have been on Lies.

Reckless Life and Shadow replacing Anything Goes and You’re Crazy on AfD are the only two things that could have made that album more perfect than it is. You’re Crazy was so much better on Lies and belonged there.

• Like 1