On 11/20/2019 at 5:41 PM, TMAC20 said:

One in a Million - Is my fav off the record - Axl Preaching - Love Slash’s part - I completely understand his lyrics on the song -  where he is coming from 

“ Much to High “ 

This is a song that is funny when you're an early teenager because says the N-word and the F-word. Then, when you get out of your teens, you realize that they are in fact the words of a racist and a homophobe and the implications are hateful. As I said earlier, the band has all but disowned the song. Hell, they only ever played it live twice.  The last time was almost 32 years ago. Musically, it's a great song. Lyrically it belongs in the past.  

3 hours ago, fantomas said:

This is a song that is funny when you're an early teenager because says the N-word and the F-word. Then, when you get out of your teens, you realize that they are in fact the words of a racist and a homophobe and the implications are hateful. As I said earlier, the band has all but disowned the song. Hell, they only ever played it live twice.  The last time was almost 32 years ago. Musically, it's a great song. Lyrically it belongs in the past.  

Yeah ”nothing but a fucking pussy, suck my fucking dick, turn around bitch I got a use for you, dying in the ditch you better back off bitch, got to peel the bitch of my back” that’s just nice songs about love...

2 hours ago, Mourner said:

Yeah ”nothing but a fucking pussy, suck my fucking dick, turn around bitch I got a use for you, dying in the ditch you better back off bitch, got to peel the bitch of my back” that’s just nice songs about love...

I never said they weren't misogynistic.  

5 hours ago, fantomas said:

It depends on how you look at it. Years ago it was a more open society, and at least we could have a intelligent conversation over these things without being condemned by the entire country. Not sure if you heard his side of it, but here it is.

Edited by ax1

18 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Not at all. 

agreed the music comes first and Axl is singing a persona that is all - it may have been through his eyes when he first arrived in LA nevertheless its real 

16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Listening to Lies straight through for the first time in forever right now. 

I'm on Move To The City right now. I still think the first side of this LP is crazy overrated. 

unfortunately only for move to the city - had they replaced that one with the acoustic box set version then no - the other live ones are awesome 

mama kin is better than the original? controversial statement but true imo 

reckless life ages like fine wine

nice boys adlers and axl's best collab 

I would have rather seen Lies V2 (how about "More Lies?") with November Rain Acoustic being the anchor and having another side A cover songs and side B all acoustic originals rather than Novermber Rain on UYI which I did love. If only I were the manager, what could have been lol

Edited by ax1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ax1 said:

I would have rather seen Lies V2 (how about "More Lies?) with November Rain Acoustic being the anchor and having another side A cover songs and side be all acoustic originals rather than Novermber Rain on UYI which I did love. If only I were the manager, what could have been lol

agreed the acoustic nr is superior to studio UYI

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Just finished One In A Million. I don't hate the first side, but dammit, all the songs on side 2 are so much better. 

I actually didnt like side A when I was a kid back in 88 listening to it that much, but side B just made me crave so much more. I appreciate and enjoy side A much more these days, but Lies always was and still is mostly about side B for me.

Edited by ax1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ax1 said:

I actually didnt like side A when I was a kid back in 88 listening to it that much, but side B just made me crave so much more. I appreciate and enjoy side A much more these days, but Lies always was and still is mostly about side B for me.

exactly side B isn't side B without A and over the years i've appreciated side A a lot more 

this was one of the first albums i bought therefore the sentimental value is there and i would look at the artwork leaflet all the time trying to figure out the mystifying nature of the band, what personalities 

59 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

exactly side B isn't side B without A and over the years i've appreciated side A a lot more 

this was one of the first albums i bought therefore the sentimental value is there and i would look at the artwork leaflet all the time trying to figure out the mystifying nature of the band, what personalities 

That Lies album art is most the most memorable and favorite album art for me in all of music history.

• Like 2

This is how I would rank the songs for the most part.. Could probably swap 3 & 4 at times and 5 & 6 at times...  I love them all but Patience just drags for me until they get to the solo.. From that point on it is awesome.

One In A Million
You're Crazy
Reckless Life
Nice Boys
Mama Kin
Used To Love Her
Move To The City (The versions on L&L were superior to this one). Still love it though. 
Patience

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

This is how I would rank the songs for the most part.. Could probably swap 3 & 4 at times and 5 & 6 at times...  I love them all but Patience just drags for me until they get to the solo.. From that point on it is awesome.

One In A Million
You're Crazy
Reckless Life
Nice Boys
Mama Kin
Used To Love Her
Move To The City (The versions on L&L were superior to this one). Still love it though. 
Patience

kind of agree but safe to say that the main reason the album is awesome is that the ranking order progresses by its order, each song gets better  and better as it reaches the pinnacle of OIAM 

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Listening to Lies straight through for the first time in forever right now. 

I'm on Move To The City right now. I still think the first side of this LP is crazy overrated. 

I love move to the city, why this isnt in the setlist i have no idea.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Agree i got it on vinyl when it first came out, still have it to this day.

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

fuck vinyl must sound out of this world especially OIAM 

I love listening to the vynyl because it sounds more organic. It must have been 89 when i got the record and always used to spin it when getting ready for school in the mornings. Funnily enough move to the city and mama kin were the 2 songs that got played on rotation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

fuck vinyl must sound out of this world especially OIAM 

I bought two copies over the last week or two.. The first was a reissue overpriced replica and the second is an original pressing with the original unedited cover and Inner Sleeve.. Hoping it gets here today.  Cannot wait to soak it all in..

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I love move to the city, why this isnt in the setlist i have no idea.

love the bass in that song

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Yeah... definitely a top 5 GNR record :P

No, actually I would rank it just before or right after UYI II on second or third place. But thats just...

I pretty much love all their records up until '93

-AFD, UYI II, Lies, UYI I

-TSI

So no matter what, Lies is a great record 

Not to derail the thread but

Appetite
LIES
UYI II
UYI I
Live Era
TSI

On 11/22/2019 at 8:52 AM, fantomas said:

jesus christ you're fucking annoying. go cry in a corner about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, paranoyd androyd said:

jesus christ you're fucking annoying. go cry in a corner about it.

Your post made me actually lol. 

I have to laugh at the idea that OIAM should be stricken from existence. To me, that's the same idea as book burning. 

As a further reply to that post you originally quoted: I don't know anyone who thought it was cool that Axl said the N word, then they "grew out of it". That idea is hilarious to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I don't know anyone who thought it was cool that Axl said the N word, then they "grew out of it". 

I could write an essay of where I thought Axl's head was at when he wrote the song and why and relate it to my own personal experiences and how I viewed things when I was younger compared to how I view them now.  In a long and complicated way I can almost see what the poster was trying to say there but I would have to take some time to carefully articulate that to have it make sense. This is something I have wanted to do for awhile. 

BTW, I am not siding with the person who posted that at all and One In a Million is still probably my 2nd favorite Guns songs. 

• Like 1

Just had to remove a link to an unofficial video. Everyone please make sure you're up to speed on this rule that's being forced on us:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/223008-no-more-links-to-unofficial-or-unlicensed-content/?tab=comments#comment-4753744

We will have to enforce this rule going forward. We know it's bullshit, but we have to do this for obvious reasons.