33 minutes ago, ax1 said:

Back in the day they were kicked out of the AIDS benefit concert because of protests of that song.

I appreciate you offering this piece of history, but it doesnt really add up to me. In the 80s AIDS was largely associated with homosexuality (socially for sure, and as far as I understand medically as well?). Its not surprising that the event organizers wouldnt want to include someone who wrote and sang "F@ggo7s make no sense to me.... or spread some fucking disease." The event organizers embracing there own freedom of expression and freedom of association is not at all the same as banning the song from existence. :shrugs:

Its "freedom of speech" not "freedom from consequence" right?

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

It's because no other GNR site is under direct attack by "fan(s)" who claim to be working directly on behalf of the bands management. 

So HTGTH, other GNR forums and pretty much every other site on the planet doesn't have to deal with this bullshit. Just us because we're the sole target for this mess, which the bands management has no interest in assisting us with. 

pretty lame - i guess it means were doing something right tho and it obviously implicates TB behind the stalin era communist censorship 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

15 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That is unfathomable to me.. The production on that song is absolutely perfect to my ears.. I wish a lot of the illusions tracks were mixed and produced like OIAM. 

If you mean that UYI would be better if it were mixed to sound more raw and with Izzy in the mix, then I agree 100%.

But I mean, the Lies acoustic sessions were recorded and mixed rather quickly. When I listen to it that doesnt surprise me. Performance wise, his singing is incredible.

Oddly, now that Im comparing the two mixes I almost think theres some similarities in the sonics of UYI and OIAM - like lots of reverb on the two acoustic guitars, lots of high end frequencies on the acoustic guitars, which is both similar to Slashs lead sound on UYI. Theres lots of breathy Axl vocal ad libs in OIAMs outro, like on UYIs. Most of all, is OIAM the first time we hear piano on an officially released Guns track??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soon said:

I appreciate you offering this piece of history, but it doesnt really add up to me. In the 80s AIDS was largely associated with homosexuality (socially for sure, and as far as I understand medically as well?). Its not surprising that the event organizers wouldnt want to include someone who wrote and sang "F@ggo7s make no sense to me.... or spread some fucking disease." The event organizers embracing there own freedom of expression and freedom of association is not at all the same as banning the song from existence. :shrugs:

Its "freedom of speech" not "freedom from consequence" right?

What I remember when I was a kid in the 80s was that alot of people blamed homosexuals for AIDS and its primarily them. Even if statistically it shows gays as the majority, its certainly not a homosexual disease.

The AIDS event was still a private event so they can do whatever they want all I care. The way I look at it, there were consequences that GNR was hit that day, but the event also had to endure the consequences of banning them due to their perception of the song and this is just a guess but Id bet it hurt AIDS research fiscally, at least a little.

Other than that, its comical because Im not sure Slash even knew what a condom was at that time, lol.

Edited by ax1

Disappointed I can't find the anniversary t-shirts online in the UK.

The Mama Kin tee looked good.

Haven't listened to LIES for some time. I'll listen to it later.

The Skin N' Bones leg of the Illusions tour with the couch section was great.

Anyone else a fan of how Patience was played in 2002? 

Unpopular opinion no doubt but imho, Lies is an average at best album. Best thing to come out of it was the killer live renditions of You're Crazy and Used to Love her that they did on that tv show in '88/89. Still the best ever versions of those songs.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

If you mean that UYI would be better if it were mixed to sound more raw and with Izzy in the mix, then I agree 100%.

But I mean, the Lies acoustic sessions were recorded and mixed rather quickly. When I listen to it that doesnt surprise me. Performance wise, his singing is incredible.

Oddly, now that Im comparing the two mixes I almost think theres some similarities in the sonics of UYI and OIAM - like lots of reverb on the two acoustic guitars, lots of high end frequencies on the acoustic guitars, which is both similar to Slashs lead sound on UYI. Theres lots of breathy Axl vocal ad libs in OIAMs outro, like on UYIs. Most of all, is OIAM the first time we hear piano on an officially released Guns track??

yes other than the gay synth on paradise city 

1 hour ago, soon said:

If only they did that acoustic November Rain demo and completed it with the Lies quality recording and mix that would have been absolutely incredible.

I heard one of them, maybe Slash or Duff that just about every song starts acoustically, and they said if it sounded good acoustically then it would sound good full production.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ax1 said:

What I remember when I was a kid in the 80s was that alot of people blamed homosexuals for AIDS and its primarily them. Even if statistically it shows gays as the majority, its certainly not a homosexual disease.

The AIDS event was still a private event so they can do whatever they want all I care. The way I look at it, there were consequences that GNR was hit that day, but the event also had to endure the consequences of banning them due to their perception of the song and this is just a guess but Id bet it hurt AIDS research fiscally, at least a little.

Other than that, its comical because Im not sure Slash even knew what a condom was at that time, lol.

I have written a bit about this (apologies for the fucked up design of this chapter):

uten_n45.png

The entire chapter can be read here: http://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p120-the-history-in-their-own-words#15958

• Like 1

A bit earlier in this thread the topic of the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert and the protests against GN'R playing there, came up. Here's a bit of info about Act Up and their protests before the event:

uten_n46.png

Despite the event being a success and GN'R doing a great appearance, the organization Outrage lived up to their name and threw some pretty wild accusations at Axl:

uten_n47.png

And a couple of gracious quotes from Elton John about Axl:

uten_n48.png

• Like 2

And some more quotes from Roger Taylor and Brian May of Queen, from a review of the tribute concert in Rolling Stone:

After the lineup was announced, the AIDS activist group ACT UP London began screeching about Guns n' Roses' participation, first demanding that Guns be dropped from the bill, then urging other artists to shun them and the Wembley crowd to boo them off the stage--a concept the members of Queen found ludicrous.

"ACT UP will have no influence on the audience whatsoever," said an angry Taylor. "And I have a two-word message for them, which I'm prepared to give them at any moment they want it."

"People seem so blind," said May earnestly. "Don't they realize that the mere fact that Guns n' Roses are here is the biggest statement that you could get? We think it's time that everybody realizes that whether you're gay or straight, you're entitled to your feelings. You cannot come down on anybody because of the way they feel. That's got to be an outdated concept, and I hope that the concert will help to bring that about."

http://www.a-4-d.com/t1902-1992-04-20-freddie-mercury-tribute-wembley-stadium-london-england#14577

• Like 3

On 11/26/2019 at 6:30 PM, RONIN said:

Unpopular opinion no doubt but imho, Lies is an average at best album. Best thing to come out of it was the killer live renditions of You're Crazy and Used to Love her that they did on that tv show in '88/89. Still the best ever versions of those songs.

I'd have to give some push back, I think the Live Era version of You're Crazy is better. But the late show versions are great

• Like 1

On 01/12/2019 at 9:59 AM, double talkin jive mfkr said:

can someone clarifty the music video for patience if that was actually their recording studio - seems like the only moment we have in guns history of video of them recording - its probably for the video but i believe it was within the same recording 2 days they were there??/

I dont know if its a recording studio but as theres no booths maybe a rehearsal studio?. Lies came out in 88 and the patience video came out in 89. I wonder if the room in the video maybe at rumbo recorders or at mates rehearsal.

17 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I'd have to give some push back, I think the Live Era version of You're Crazy is better. But the late show versions are great

They are both great.. Overall I think I would go with the Live Era version but that Slash soloing on the Late show is incredibly good.  

• Like 2

i hate the live your're crazy version on apetite - it's the worst song on the album and hence why LIES is better 

weakest link on lies is move to the city and 

move to the city> you're crazy appetite 

so I stand correct LIES is the best and you're crazy on lies is one of the best GNR AXL recordings ever along with OIAM  

55 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i hate the live your're crazy version on apetite - it's the worst song on the album and hence why LIES is better 

weakest link on lies is move to the city and 

move to the city> you're crazy appetite 

so I stand correct LIES is the best and you're crazy on lies is one of the best GNR AXL recordings ever along with OIAM  

I agree that the Lies version of You're Crazy destroys the version on Appetite. 

In turn, the version on Live Era is fucking amazing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I agree that the Lies version of You're Crazy destroys the version on Appetite. 

In turn, the version on Live Era is fucking amazing. 

the live era version is superior to the appetite one 

then the used to love her live era is absolute shit 

they only did that one good justice on the live TV show, there best group performance ever as confirmed by adler and slash both in their books and they were two LIES songs baby

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

You're Crazy is my least favorite song on Appetite.. Still not a bad song..

I like the UTLH on Live Era.. I like all those live electric versions from the 80's.

fair enough, i find all appetite songs in top tier category including anything goes and think about you (prob my fav on the album and in general) 

however, you're crazy on appetite is a real nose dive compared to all the other tracks, they should've just put something else instead like you could be mine 

but back to LIES : what if they had added don't cry in there within the mix, imagine a bit of a slowed down version with adler on the drums DAMN - the UYI version ain't too good in my opinion but Don't Cry original 5 live is amazing such as the version played at the Marquee 

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:
1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

You're Crazy is my least favorite song on Appetite.. Still not a bad song..

I like the UTLH on Live Era.. I like all those live electric versions from the 80's.

Agree with you about  You're Crazy.