Q Sound mix

jimisbatman

Its different in that it sounds like shit IIRC. Maybe its whoever-did-the-transfer's fault wayback when. But its the same (or not noticably differently) mix but if it was played through an AM radio station.

Also I might be getting it confused with either "Axls Advanced Copy" or Slash's Ruffs", but I think some of Izzys scratch guitar is different than the album. Its not amazing  just a different take (for instance, Dont Damn Me's slow part is different than the album). 

Not that the Qsound versions arent interesting, an actual interesting thing worth checking out would be the MSFL remix/remasters of UYI that were done in 97'. More dynamic range and a slightly punchier low end/bass and kick. 

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

Unsure where to ask this question, however, with regards to UYI, what was the q sound mix?  Who done it, and how is it different to released mix?

Q Sound was an experimental way of recording music in 3d. You need to be listening through at least 5 speakers to hear it properly, hence why there weren't alot of albums made in it.

They were on rough mixes of selected tracks from both UYI's. November Rain, Estranged, Pretty Tied Up for example. Not Coma, Perfect Crime ect., however they did use Instrumentals of Breakdown and Locomotive.

If you have the speakers, it's very cool. You won't get what the fuss is listening through just headphones or your computer.

Edited by AtariLegend
spell check
  • Like 1

Actually, there were Q sound albums that could be heard just fine through 2 speakers, like Roger Waters' 'Amused To Death'

Trouble is, they were only 'just fine' if your speakers were aligned exactly right with eachother. And you were sat in the exact right position. Ain't nobody got time for that!

So, UYI in Q sound without exactly the right set up would have been unlistenable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sausagebrain said:

Actually, there were Q sound albums that could be heard just fine through 2 speakers, like Roger Waters' 'Amused To Death'

Trouble is, they were only 'just fine' if your speakers were aligned exactly right with eachother. And you were sat in the exact right position. Ain't nobody got time for that!

So, UYI in Q sound without exactly the right set up would have been unlistenable. 

Side note: if you do get to hear ATD with the right set up (which I've had the pleasure of doing), it sounds absolutely astounding. 

9 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

Bob Clearmountain did the Q Sound mix. One of the band found a notepad of his. He was planning to add a load of drum hits over Matt Sorum's track. They fired him and hired someone else for the final mix. 

That's what I remember from Slash's book.

Yep thats when they got bill price in.

• Like 1