Do you think Axl is "over" Chinese Democracy?

What I mean is, all the fuckery that came with making and releasing that album, the lukewarm reception to it, etc. I mean, all of that clearly took a toll on him for a long time. But it's been 11 years now, do you think he still holds any resentment, anger, or insecurity about this album? 

Edit: I should clarify that when I mention anger and insecurity, I’m not referring to the album itself, but the process of releasing it and the reception of it. 

Edited by GNRfanJen

Axl did say in 2016 that his favorite tunes to play live were the Chinese ones. Also Hard School was on the setlist and some say it was rehearsed and he played Slash and Duff unreleased Chinese material. (relevant cause he said he always viewed Chinese as a double album)

No way of knowing what Axl is thinking, but just because the process of creating it was a nightmare according to him, doesn't mean he thinks about it in a negative way. When he talked about Chinese after it came out he seemed to be proud of it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

It's a good question and I would love to hear his thoughts on the whole thing. Wish he'd do another interview soon. 

I really thought getting the album out in 2008 would have removed a huge monkey from his back and he could move on, but he's had 11 years to Rock the Rock and still no new music. Which I find absolutely shocking, and frustrating (as I'm sure we all do). 

If I had to guess, I'd say he is proud of the work but especially after the reunion is now "over" the whole thing to a large extent. We'll see if the rumours are true with regard to actually moving on, in March.

• Like 2

axl mentioned on jimmy kimmel if he could take back a year from his life it was during the release of CD 

that means its something deep on his councious and the fact that he continues to try and peddle CD to the unintersted masses and the fake jovial duo of sluff means that he's probably starting to come to his senses that it really wasn't all that 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Regardless if he is or not, hope we get to hear the rest of the songs from this period, as its currently my fav gnr period. And I know thats a stupid thing to say around here. 

Nah, not stupid at all. CD is my favorite GNR album and I'll keep saying that no matter how many people don't like it lol

2 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

axl mentioned on jimmy kimmel if he could take back a year from his life it was during the release of CD 

that means its something deep on his councious and the fact that he continues to try and peddle CD to the unintersted masses and the fake jovial duo of sluff means that he's probably starting to come to his senses that it really wasn't all that 

lolwut.... I thought it was clear that he meant all the hell he went through that year in the final stages of getting the album released. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

“Over it” can mean many things. 

Is he over the songs in general? 

Is he over the process in releasing music on a major label? 

Is he over it in sense that era of the band is done and has moved on? 

We don’t know. He hasn’t really spoken about it. To think we know anything on how that guy feels about subjects week to week seems a bit much to ask 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Nah, not stupid at all. CD is my favorite GNR album and I'll keep saying that no matter how many people don't like it lol

lolwut.... I thought it was clear that he meant all the hell he went through that year in the final stages of getting the album released. 

yes and no, because he dind't really want to release it which would've been a better move due to the ludicrous expectations set 

2 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

I think the question should be rephrased "Is Axl over Stephanie Seymour?"

The answer is "no"

Guy needed to throw his money at snake-oil salesmen to try and justify why the women he abused left him

The best we can hope for is Mr. I'm Not Bipolar Even Though I Admitted I Was staying on his meds and not harming anyone else - the man is incapable of remorse

No one feels sorry that you got dumped by a Supermodel, Axl - move the fuck on with your life

YES!!!!! although its understandable that a bad break up can really hurt for a long time 

the solution was not surrounding yourself by leeches and crying on their shoulder until their sweaters got full of your snot while alienating your old bandmates and fanbase 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

I think the question should be rephrased "Is Axl over Stephanie Seymour?"

The answer is "no"

Guy needed to throw his money at snake-oil salesmen to try and justify why the women he abused left him

The best we can hope for is Mr. I'm Not Bipolar Even Though I Admitted I Was staying on his meds and not harming anyone else - the man is incapable of remorse

No one feels sorry that you got dumped by a Supermodel, Axl - move the fuck on with your life

Sorry, but how the fuck did we get to throwing opinions about his private sentimantal life from discussing about the release of an album?

I think the issues with the CD release were all about the business side of the deal, I don't really think the album was postponed because of a break-up.

I mean, we even got proof that most of the tracks were basically complete by 2002.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeadHorseinaComa said:

Sorry, but how the fuck did we get to throwing opinions about his private sentimantal life from discussing about the release of an album?

I think the issues with the CD release were all about the business side of the deal, I don't really think the album was postponed because of a break-up.

I mean, we even got proof that most of the tracks were basically complete by 2002.

the two go hand in hand - CD = Stephanie they are the same person per say 

an ode to his muse and axl becoming the muse as a result 

a fledgling work of more than personal songs that really were too personal and borderline cringe to release 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

2 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

a feathering work of more than personal songs that really were too personal to release 

Too personal to release? it's music. Isn't it supposed to be personal? and I don't think Chinese is an "ode to his muse". Some songs could be about her, but it's not like the entire album is a weepfest about love. He also bitch-cries and deals with other issues (Slash, lying, killing sprees and more)

Yeah, let us pretend we know Axl personally and what was/is happening in his mind in regards to a failed relationship decades ago... Use your illusion, let it take you where it may. 

Back on topic, I think CD and the 'unreleased' material from that time period still have a lot left to give.... I don't know how Axl feels about it, the best I can tell is that we will not be seeing these songs leave the set anytime soon and that's a good thing. I only hope whatever negative feelings he has about the release of CD motivates the release of "new" material. 

• Like 1

How long was he dating Stephanie anyway?  Probably not even 2 years.

I think he met her not long before they filmed the don’t cry video and they broke up before the November rain video was released. That’s only a window of about 18 months at best.

what a cry baby,  write a bunch of ballads

• Like 1

4 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

a fledgling work of more than personal songs that really were too personal and borderline cringe to release 

Alright, but how many ballads do we actually have in the album?

We have This I Love and Street of Dreams, with the first one that allegedly is about her and is the one that got actually played almost every night until a few months ago.

I don't know, if a relationship held that much weight I wouldn't dream of playing a song that reminds me of it every single night, especially when GnR is in a rather peaceful place and doesn't really have to put any "sentimental" effort.

3 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

How long was he dating Stephanie anyway?  Probably not even 2 years.

I think he met her not long before they filmed the don’t cry video and they broke up before the November rain video was released. That’s only a window of about 18 months at best.

what a cry baby,  write a bunch of ballads

On and off from early 91’ to around Christmas ‘92. And it was a long distance thing the majority of that time. 

"[Youth] had "four or five" spells working with Rose in [1998]. [...] 'I went to his house and we started writing songs, strumming guitars in the kitchen', says Youth. 'That was a major breakthrough because it got him singing again which he hadn't done for a long time.' (Q Magazine, 05/01)

I guarantee "Nothing" is one of those songs

Also, I just made a connection from the next passage in Chinese Whispers:

"He hadn't been singing for around 18 months. I think the record had turned into a real labour. He was stuck and didn't know how to proceed, so he was avoiding it." (Youth, The Times, 03/18/05)

Youth signed on as producer in April 1998 - 18 months prior would have been October 1996, the month Slash quit

So Axl was recording vocals for the new album up until Slash quit...and then stopped

Maybe "Hard School" is in fact from the 1996 sessions

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Like 2