Do you think Axl is "over" Chinese Democracy?

In retrospect I've been thinking more and more that we've been barking up the wrong tree for years and that the CD release was continuously sabotaged by record companies, executives, producers and what not. All because they saw more money in a reunion. Yes, Axl works at glacial speeds himself, 2002-onward seems like much less his fault now. 

CD was what it was and it turned out to be - EPIC failure.

A proof for Axl he is just 1 piece in GNR puzzle.

With Duff alone, that puzzle is not getting bigger and and Fartus/Frank and 58 others that passed through the band proved with CD 'they aren't the ones' and can be traded on.

With Slash/Duff/Ax we have 50% of the puzzle completed. However, the fact the only thing they managed to release in 4 years being Shadow of your love - it is pretty obvious who and what they need to get on AFD - UYI heights.

The question is, when and if Axl will realize that.  If not, his peak will forever end in 1993.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Angelica said:

Why? Those songs were being written as they were falling apart. Estranged is definitely about Erin, he’s spoken about it. She was his muse (his words) so I’d put Breakdown, Locomotive, alt lyrics Don’t Cry in her column too.

I mean, Stephanie is  ostensibly playing her in the videos she did with GNR 🤣 For better and worse, Erin and that relationship was a significant inspiration for him.

Interesting i just thought from the whole court case between axl and erin that there was no love lost  from  their relationship mainly because it appeared to be a toxic relationship for both parties.

1 hour ago, username said:

In retrospect I've been thinking more and more that we've been barking up the wrong tree for years and that the CD release was continuously sabotaged by record companies, executives, producers and what not. All because they saw more money in a reunion. Yes, Axl works at glacial speeds himself, 2002-onward seems like much less his fault now. 

In my view The intended 2000 release and the recent song leaks are better than what appeared on the official 2008 release. I feel that the record company was trying to stall and block him from progressing in the hope he would give up and try and bring slash back.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

If anything, I would imagine Axl isn't over how the actual release was handled. It's the very definition of "fumbled at the one yard line". 

However, I think it would help him a great deal to speak out about it. 

I'd have to agree, surely it must be frustrating--I'd imagine in Axl's mind this is how he wanted CD to go.

Record ~1998-2000

Release 2000

Work on second record.

Could you imagine how he felt dealing with the bullshit? Goes on tour, barely does anything productive (as he is one to do), then the release in '08 has bullshit with it too. Maybe he'd have been open to an earlier reunion in 08 or 09 if the album released in 2000 or 2002, and he toured the world with CD. Who knows, I'm just glad Axl (from what it seems) organically opened up to the reunion. I want my favorite artists to have their own agency, and I felt like Axl finally his some catharsis with his life between 2000-2014.

• Like 2

I don't know, if these are the right terms.

He made the right decisions thoughout the last years. He got that all working and talking to Slash after all that shit and all these years. That's not easy!! Remember ACDC in which he had not been the boss. He delivered very well. I have to say, he delivered more, than I thought he was capable of. So, that alone is a legacy to be proud of.

6 minutes ago, HWolllert said:

I don't know, if these are the right terms.

He made the right decisions thoughout the last years. He got that all working and talking to Slash after all that shit and all these years. That's not easy!! Remember ACDC in which he had not been the boss. He delivered very well. I have to say, he delivered more, than I thought he was capable of. So, that alone is a legacy to be proud of.

It's very easy to make these reunions happen. Money talks. 

I don't know if he is over Chinese Democracy, but a lot of fans are. Nearly 20 years of discussion about this album among fans and was it really good enough to warrant that kind of interest? Enough already. Everything with this band has become boring and predictable - every subject discussed on the forums is now a dead horse that has been flogged ad infinitum. 

Even among the diehards here, I'd bet there are a good amount that have already checked out of any new material this band puts out. 2019 Axl and Slash reheating 20+ year old demos is not very exciting to me. Them putting together new compositions is even less exciting as they're a decade plus from their prime at this point.  It all feels so anticlimactic like the general feeling here in 2008 when we finally had an official release date for CD. 

If these guys really want to strike the goldmine - just release material from the glory days and the chinese democracy sessions. All the demos - just dump them all online. I'd love to see extensive documentaries of the pre-afd hellhouse days, the legendary AFD tour, and especially the 1994-2003 era of the band. Give us all the drama and soap opera which is the selling point of this band now anyway. Sell the story to HBO and have them do a no-holds barred series on GnR. Axl throwing italian food at fans from his hotel, smacked out Slash running through a golf course trying to escape Predators, Izzy pissing on a plane and getting arrested - all of it. Season 1 - the road to AFD, Season 2 - Illusions, Season 3 - Band breakup/Chinese Democracy.

End the show with Buckethead quitting the band and the official disbanding of the "freakshow" lineup (the OG nu-guns lineup). Maybe do an epilogue of 2004-2016 (the less interesting era of the band) to complete the story. Milk that whole thing to death - that would be way more interesting than whatever they're doing now. 

5 hours ago, RONIN said:

I don't know if he is over Chinese Democracy, but a lot of fans are. Nearly 20 years of discussion about this album among fans and was it really good enough to warrant that kind of interest? Enough already. Everything with this band has become boring and predictable - every subject discussed on the forums is now a dead horse that has been flogged ad infinitum. 

Even among the diehards here, I'd bet there are a good amount that have already checked out of any new material this band puts out. 2019 Axl and Slash reheating 20+ year old demos is not very exciting to me. Them putting together new compositions is even less exciting as they're a decade plus from their prime at this point.  It all feels so anticlimactic like the general feeling here in 2008 when we finally had an official release date for CD. 

If these guys really want to strike the goldmine - just release material from the glory days and the chinese democracy sessions. All the demos - just dump them all online. I'd love to see extensive documentaries of the pre-afd hellhouse days, the legendary AFD tour, and especially the 1994-2003 era of the band. Give us all the drama and soap opera which is the selling point of this band now anyway. Sell the story to HBO and have them do a no-holds barred series on GnR. Axl throwing italian food at fans from his hotel, smacked out Slash running through a golf course trying to escape Predators, Izzy pissing on a plane and getting arrested - all of it. Season 1 - the road to AFD, Season 2 - Illusions, Season 3 - Band breakup/Chinese Democracy.

End the show with Buckethead quitting the band and the official disbanding of the "freakshow" lineup (the OG nu-guns lineup). Maybe do an epilogue of 2004-2016 (the less interesting era of the band) to complete the story. Milk that whole thing to death - that would be way more interesting than whatever they're doing now. 

I feel like I’m over Cd. People were talking about the leaks and demos, before they were released, in terms as if they were a hidden Beatles album or something. I mean come on, I like CD, the demos even more, but this isn’t SMiLe we’re talking about here. Was the money, time and anticipation really worth it for State of grace, eye on you, etc.? 

Give me proshots from each each era of the band and hopefully a new record-one that isn’t recycled tracks like Hardschool. I don’t want to hear old scraps. I want a new album that has collaboration. CD suffers from being Axl tracks with pasted on solos... that’s not what I want from slash, duff, fortus. I get it, the appetite 5 is never coming back. But it’s time to stop talking about CD as if it’s some watershed moment. If you like the album, I’m happy for you-I do as well. But maybe it’s tome for us all to move on

• Like 1

Axl is not stupid, like no lunatic is - but he is not as smart as he may think.

You don't break up the winning team. Once he managed to replace Adler, he should have made a big sigh it all went well.

Due to his obnoxious behaviour, we all lose Iz - GNR still rules the world.

Now he decides to kick them all out (Slash/Duff/Gilby/Matt), by pushing them till they finally leave - WTF!?

Once you are on top of the world there are tw ways to go on a) try to stay there    b) down the abyss     Ax choose to go down to the core of the Earth.

Not something an inteligent person would do.