Happy Bday CD!

While I don’t consider it a GnR album (it’s Axl solo) it was released this day 2008.  I remember how pumped I was.  SOD (The Blues), TWAT, Prostitute etc....great songs.   I could opine more but it’s just hard to believe from UYI’s to 2019 that’s all we got out of Axl and or Guns.  

• Like 1

It felt like forever waiting for this. It's hard to believe that more time has passed since the release than the time I was waiting for it to be released.

I remember all those tentative release dates. I didn't have internet yet (I would surf at friends and relatives, reading all about Guns N' Roses) so I just went to the record store and asked if Chinese Democracy had been released. That was like 2000/2001. I did this multiple times. One time the seller replied that I'm not the first one asking about it that day. It's crazy it took eight more years until it finally arrived.

In november 2008 I went to buy it as soon as it was avaliable in my country, it might have been the 24th, I remember walking into the store and they were playing Chinese Democracy on the speakers. :) 

Loved this record from the beginning. Still love it today. I listen to it more than any other Guns N' Roses record though I obviously prefer the old records.

If they had trimmed a few layers here and there Chinese would have been even better.

Edited by Sisyphus

7 hours ago, jamillos said:

The only record of original music released in the entire period I've been a fan, which is approaching 30 years. Funny. 

I'm approaching 20 years as a fan, maybe that's why I appreciate CD for what it is I don't know. Still...the road is long! With many a winding...

54 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm so glad to see you and a few others saying it's your favorite. I get destroyed on here on a regular basis because it's my favorite GNR album. 

I've actually had people try to tell me that it's NOT actually my favorite lol. They've literally tried to convince me that I don't think that. 

What's really weird is that it's my favorite GNR album, but none of the songs apart from TWAT would make my top ten. It's still the album I enjoy the most and the album I go back to the most out of all their albums.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Original said:

While I don’t consider it a GnR album (it’s Axl solo) it was released this day 2008.  I remember how pumped I was.  SOD (The Blues), TWAT, Prostitute etc....great songs.   I could opine more but it’s just hard to believe from UYI’s to 2019 that’s all we got out of Axl and or Guns.  

Considering its quality - thank god there wasn't more.

Would it had been Axl's solo record w/o GNR mokiner - I would have said whatever.

Cnsidering it actually hid behind the moniker - it dragged GNR from one of the world's greatest - to toilet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

What's really weird is that it's my favorite GNR album, but none of the songs apart from TWAT would make my top ten. It's still the album I enjoy the most and the album I go back to the most out of all their albums.

Better is my favorite GNR song, but I'd put TWAT in my Top 10 too. TIL has my favorite solo in any GNR song too. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Better is my favorite GNR song, but I'd put TWAT in my Top 10 too. TIL has my favorite solo in any GNR song too. 

Makes you wonder about all those other "guitar moments" Robin was talking about. If what got released isn't even his favorite solos and TIL solo is one of those, his unreleased work in Gn'R could be brilliant. I trust his taste. We almost didn't get TIL, almost didn't get to hear that solo. Crazy to think about.

I like all the tunes on Chinese. I think the centerpieces are Catcher and There Was A Time. It's cool to have an album that features Axl, Robin, and Bucket all on the same tunes. (for the most part)

Would have been amazing to have a trilogy from that era of the band.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I literally hate all those songs and that isn't me just being stubborn..  Aside of maybe the chorus of Better they have zero redeeming qualities for me.  There are a couple songs on CD that I find ok or have potential but definitely not those ones lol.  I liked the RIO versions of CD, The Blues amd Madagascar but I really don't care for what ended up on the album or what I have seen live this tour.. I thought Sorry was ok this tour and CITR had potential but way too much crap going on the album  in it and it was also terrible live. 

It really is too bad Axl didn't have the balls to release it as a solo album.  That would have been much more of a respectable move.  

46 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I literally hate all those songs and that isn't me just being stubborn..  Aside of maybe the chorus of Better they have zero redeeming qualities for me.  There are a couple songs on CD that I find ok or have potential but definitely not those ones lol.  I liked the RIO versions of CD, The Blues amd Madagascar but I really don't care for what ended up on the album or what I have seen live this tour.. I thought Sorry was ok this tour and CITR had potential but way too much crap going on the album  in it and it was also terrible live. 

It really is too bad Axl didn't have the balls to release it as a solo album.  That would have been much more of a respectable move.  

I think releasing Chinese as a Gn'R album took more balls compared to releasing it under his name as a solo album. Fortus really added a hard rockin' chorus to Better imo.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think releasing Chinese as a Gn'R album took more balls compared to releasing it under his name as a solo album. Fortus really added a hard rockin' chorus to Better imo.

I assumed someone would see it that way but releasing it under the Gn'R name got the album more attention, sold more records and got it more hype than it deserved. 

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

I assumed someone would see it that way but releasing it under the Gn'R name got the album more attention, sold more records and got it more hype than it deserved. 

True, which made it a smart business decision imo as well. But Axl did pay a price for that: he was hated for it by fans who refused to accept it as Gn'R without Slash (mainly, there are others who don't see it as real Gn'R without Izzy and/or Steven but they are a minority)

So from that aspect, it took balls is what I meant.

No one would give Axl 10+ million dollars and a decade to record a solo album. Thats GNR level shit. The solo album argument makes no sense with regards to the album Chinese Democracy.

Even if Axl released it in 2000, the salaries he was paying out to the band were GNR money. And the released album wouldnt have the single Better.

• Like 1