CBS 8 San Diego- Guns N' Roses play sold-out show at San Diego Sports Arena in 1992

18 minutes ago, Original said:

Credit Mitch Lafon from his Twitter.  This is cool. This is exactly how it was like back then.  Whatever city they were in it was huge.  I remember when they hit Mpls and it was all over local news too.  Such a kick ass time.  -  

Out of curiosity I went to gnrontour.com to read any tidbits about this show.  They actually played two shows on Jan. 27 and 28th.  Among other things Axl said; he could smell crystal meth,  that women are the only thing that can "fuck us men up", and that he spent 10 years watching Motley Crue rip people off.  Classic Axl.😄

Edited by lame ass security

Thanks for posting!

Axl was indeed late at the first San Diego show (according to reports, they took the stage 20 minutes before midnight). He also ranted quite a bit. In one of the rants he called Motley Crue "cockroaches" :lol:

http://www.a-4-d.com/t1891-1992-01-27-san-diego-sports-arena-san-diego-usa

(Axl's rants and a review from the Los Angeles Times)

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Out of curiosity I went to gnrontour.com to read any tidbits about this show.  They actually played two shows on Jan. 27 and 28th.  Among other things Axl said; he could smell crystal meth,  that women are the only thing that can "fuck us men up", and that he spent 10 years watching Motley Crue rip people off.  Classic Axl.😄

nice find i remember begging my parents to let me go see em in 92

08.17.92 - British Columbia Place Stadium, Vancouver, Canada
opening act: Faith No More
notes: This show was canceled.
ticket

anyone remember why this one was cancelled???

17 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

nice find i remember begging my parents to let me go see em in 92

08.17.92 - British Columbia Place Stadium, Vancouver, Canada
opening act: Faith No More
notes: This show was canceled.
ticket

anyone remember why this one was cancelled???

I wonder if it had anything to do with the riot in Montreal on August 8th?

Edit:  I assume they had to postpone the tour because of Hetfield's injury and Axl's throat issues.

Edited by lame ass security

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks for posting!

Axl was indeed late at the first San Diego show (according to reports, they took the stage 20 minutes before midnight). He also ranted quite a bit. In one of the rants he called Motley Crue "cockroaches" :lol:

Those rants:lol::lol:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Those rants:lol::lol:

03.30.93 - British Columbia Place, Vancouver, Canada
opening act: Brian May Band
audio/video recording?: no
notes: Towards the end of the show, Axl looked at a certain part of the crowd and said something to the effect of "You're all just looking at me, I don't know but it seems to me you're all a bunch fags."

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks for posting!

Good and fun review about the late shows :D

On 24/11/2019 at 9:59 AM, Original said:

Credit Mitch Lafon from his Twitter.  This is cool. This is exactly how it was like back then.  Whatever city they were in it was huge.  I remember when they hit Mpls and it was all over local news too.  Such a kick ass time.  -  

Theres vids on YouTube when they toured oz during 93 they were in the news. The band were massive between 91 and 93. Each show in each city of the world was an event in itself! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 24.11.2019 at 1:03 AM, double talkin jive mfkr said:

Towards the end of the show, Axl looked at a certain part of the crowd and said something to the effect of "You're all just looking at me, I don't know but it seems to me you're all a bunch fags."

Lol classic Axl 😂

On 11/23/2019 at 5:59 PM, Original said:

Man when I describe the zealous love I have for this band, and the energy they have, I’m reminded that I’m not alone by videos like this. I’d kill to have the experience from the UYI tour. They were the most dangerous band in the world, and rightfully rules the world during the tour. No other band had the spectacle or energy of these guys, it’s like the Beatles coming to the US for the first time, except amplified by drugs, sex, and an edge few bands have ever carried. Man I hope The illusion records get some love on the 30th anniversary 

• Like 3

They were the biggest band on the planet and it was the best time to be a fan. To actually see a prime Axl sprint across the stage in 1992 in person was something to see. The  videos don't do him justice on how fast he could tear it up.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ironmt said:

They were the biggest band on the planet and it was the best time to be a fan. To actually see a prime Axl sprint across the stage in 1992 in person was something to see. The  videos don't do him justice on how fast he could tear it up.

True, didn't he claim to have run cross country in high school?  His lung capacity must've been off the charts.

6 hours ago, ironmt said:

It is interesting how different our perspectives can be. To me, the best time to be a fan was in the late 80s when GN'R was a smaller and more cohesive band. When they just rocked without all the bells and whistles. When it was a gang of five, apparently tightly knit friends. The bloatedness, indulgences, Axl's primadonna behavior, loss of Izzy and Steven, all turned me off GN'R in the 90s. I remember watching the Paris show in 1992 and realizing my passion for the band had evaporated, it had just become an act. This was not the dirty, grimy, cool band anymore that I fell in love with. Of course, not saying any perspective is more right than the other, just that it is interesting how different we can look at things. I think it has a lot to do with what version of the band we first got into.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I think it has a lot to do with what version of the band we first got into.

That’s exactly what it’s about. I first discovered them in 1992, when I was 10. There was no internet and there weren’t many options as to how to get some 80s footage in then Czechoslovakia. Their UYI tour is what overwhelmed me and what I saw on TV all the time. Then I got Appetite and the rest, but no concerts from that older era were available. To me, it was Axl in the bandana, running across the stage and roaring SCOM. He was a dynamite. The whole original 5, the tight band without a drama, came later, sort of anti-chronologically.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jamillos said:

That’s exactly what it’s about. I first discovered them in 1992, when I was 10. There was no internet and there weren’t many options as to how to get some 80s footage in then Czechoslovakia. Their UYI tour is what overwhelmed me and what I saw on TV all the time. Then I got Appetite and the rest, but no concerts from that older era were available. To me, it was Axl in the bandana, running across the stage and roaring SCOM. He was a dynamite. The whole original 5, the tight band without a drama, came later, sort of anti-chronologically.

And then we have fans who got into the band in the 2000s, maybe discovering it from shows in 2006 or from CD in 2008/2009. 

This diversity among us fans is great and provides for endless forum discussions in the decades to come. 

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

And then we have fans who got into the band in the 2000s, maybe discovering it from shows in 2006 or from CD in 2008/2009. 

This diversity among us fans is great and provides for endless forum discussions in the decades to come. 

Yeah, it’s sort of... alien to me if I’m to imagine how I would perceive the band if I was a gen Z or whatever and discovered them as a teenager only in 2006 or so. The notion would be so much different. I mean, I didn’t see them live in their prime unfortunately, but I did experience that era and when they were all over TV and press. Today’s kids would look at 92 Axl and say, "what the hell was he wearing!?" The thing is, not only was it cool, but he sort of defined a part of rock n’ roll fashion with his (or his designers’) creations! Today’s kids will never understand etc. :D

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lame ass security said:

True, didn't he claim to have run cross country in high school?  His lung capacity must've been off the charts.

Yep.

Axl: "The chiropractor we work with on the road tapes my ankles professionally. I kept twisting my ankles during shows, and it still happens now and then. I have weak ankles, always have. I used to run cross-country, and that was one of the things that got in the way of that. So I work with a chiropractor. " [Rolling Stone, April 2, 1992].

An interview with Axl's cross-country coach, Phil Hurt, was also published on October 20, 1991, in Indianapolis Daily Star.