Video Games You Never Finished

AtariLegend

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I'm a little ocd on finishing games once I get into them, but Temple of Elemental Evil for example was one I never finished as a kid.

It's completely unplayable even with all the patches. There's a silly amount of unforgiveable bugs and crashes with no fixes. 

I used to be a completionist, growing up with Atari then Nintendo, games were not as easy to get, so when I did, I played the fuck out of them, even when I didn't like them that much.  These days, there are so many games, I have almost 400 on Steam alone and I have like a 30% completion average.

I still pass any game with a run through of 20 hours or so (unless I hate it) but all of the mega games, like GTA, Morrowind, etc, I almost never complete them.  My list would take multiple posts!

Tons, but one that comes to my mind this moment is Shenmue. Got the compilation disc for a good price on Xbox One, spent like 8 hours total trying to get through the first game and found it to be one of the most miserable, boring and unrewarding gaming experiences I’ve ever played. I tried to force myself to beat it but it was almost mentally painful to do so, so I had no problem giving up on it.

Ahh, good subject.

This is going to be old school, but one of the Jet Set Willys, and one of the School Daze on the Spectrum I got near the end but never finished. I finished Manic Miner, but JSW was odd, couldn't figure it out.

I could clock Asteroids, then Gorf, Hypersports and Tron (hard game), then Pacman once someone told me the formula. I completed Space Ace and Dragons Lair back in the day at the arcade. 

I never complete Final Fantasy 7 or Zelda, Ocarina of Time. Just because that is when I was in London and worked more, and moved onto other games.

More often than not it's FPS games I start but don't finish.  Other than the first Gears of War, I'm pretty sure I started playing every sequel only to get bored soon after.  

They're essentially the same game with just different packaging.  It's why I love games like GTA and RDR2.  Much more variety in gameplay.  

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

YOU HEATHEN!

I think it is when another game comes out, your attention gets taken away, I was close to finishing them both. I finished the recent Zelda, I actually accidently went into the fight early on after only beating one of the four big bosses and almost won. I have RDR 2, but I have not got far with it. I need more time in my life for a game that like. The good thing about Switch is you can take it with you.

Kane & Lynch 2. I may be one of the few that liked the first one even though it was a shooter with horrible shooting :lol: However the 2nd one was completely irredeemable.

K&L will always be wasted potential to me. I think the bones of iconic characters and a great game were there.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:06 AM, downzy said:

Last of Us - Tried three times to finish it and finally gave up.  Found it got repetitive and honestly couldn't care less about the story.  

Just finished it last night. Agree with you on it being somewhat repetitive.

I thought the story was great and I haven't been into zombie stuff since the original Night Of The Living Dead.

Edited by Ace Spade

On 2.12.2019 at 1:31 AM, -W.A.R- said:

Kane & Lynch 2. I may be one of the few that liked the first one even though it was a shooter with horrible shooting :lol: However the 2nd one was completely irredeemable.

K&L will always be wasted potential to me. I think the bones of iconic characters and a great game were there.

I agree, too bad the games pretty much sucked.

On 12/3/2019 at 11:21 AM, Ace Spade said:

I'll add Super Mario Sunshine to the list.

That was the first Mario game I never finished since the original 8 bit NES.

Then I didn't like Galaxy either! :lol:

Some people were not Galaxy fans cause the gameplay was a departure from Mario 64. Sunshine was a flawed game. Good ideas, but the execution was less than great.

On 08/12/2019 at 4:23 PM, Rovim said:

Some people were not Galaxy fans cause the gameplay was a departure from Mario 64. Sunshine was a flawed game. Good ideas, but the execution was less than great.

I wasn't a Galaxy fan, because the levels weren't that creative and varied. They went through the motions and made all the basics look pretty, but there wasn't that much there.

It did honestly feel like a backward step from 64. However, if you didn't play 64 as a kid in the late 90's, you might not feel the same. Unfortunately I never got to play Sunshine though.

On 01/12/2019 at 7:56 PM, Mysteron said:

I think it is when another game comes out, your attention gets taken away, I was close to finishing them both. I finished the recent Zelda, I actually accidently went into the fight early on after only beating one of the four big bosses and almost won. I have RDR 2, but I have not got far with it. I need more time in my life for a game that like. The good thing about Switch is you can take it with you.

Oh I understand things get in the way.

Just saying though, Ocarina on the N64 was really more than just a landmark. It was hyped as the Greatest video game of all time in the late 90's by some publications and I remember it being quite lengthy for a 3d game in the mid 90's. Quite alot of joy and attention was poured into it.

Alot of the big Playstation releases at the time only lasted 5 hours and if weren't rubbish at games, it was like watching a longer movie and could be finished as rentals. So when Ocarina just goes on instead of ending, it was really great. RD2 is a good modern example, for where you think it's coming to a close... but just continues on (except longer games are more common place now). Not everyone has 70 hours or what not to sit playing a game over a period of time.

Final Fantasy VII was similar, though I'd argue not as long as people perhaps remember.

On 29/11/2019 at 4:56 PM, Rovim said:

Superman 64

I remember giving up on this as a kid fairly quickly, although it was a rental. There's a flying through rings part early on that felt impossible. Really sloppy controls and design though. Pretty bad.

Edited by AtariLegend

• 6 months later...
On 11/12/2019 at 2:24 PM, AtariLegend said:

I wasn't a Galaxy fan, because the levels weren't that creative and varied. They went through the motions and made all the basics look pretty, but there wasn't that much there.

It did honestly feel like a backward step from 64. However, if you didn't play 64 as a kid in the late 90's, you might not feel the same. Unfortunately I never got to play Sunshine though.

Oh I understand things get in the way.

Just saying though, Ocarina on the N64 was really more than just a landmark. It was hyped as the Greatest video game of all time in the late 90's by some publications and I remember it being quite lengthy for a 3d game in the mid 90's. Quite alot of joy and attention was poured into it.

Alot of the big Playstation releases at the time only lasted 5 hours and if weren't rubbish at games, it was like watching a longer movie and could be finished as rentals. So when Ocarina just goes on instead of ending, it was really great. RD2 is a good modern example, for where you think it's coming to a close... but just continues on (except longer games are more common place now). Not everyone has 70 hours or what not to sit playing a game over a period of time.

Final Fantasy VII was similar, though I'd argue not as long as people perhaps remember.

I remember giving up on this as a kid fairly quickly, although it was a rental. There's a flying through rings part early on that felt impossible. Really sloppy controls and design though. Pretty bad.

Kudos for mentioning Final Fantasy VII, a great game

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/29/2019 at 5:21 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Arkham City and Dragon Age Inquisition are two games I started a few times

And all the GTA games

Finished Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Didn't finish Arkham Origins or Arkham Knight. I think I'm amongst the minority who think that the series peaked with the first game. Absolutely LOVED Asylum but the open world structure of all the subsequent games really detracted from the experience for me. I loved the constrained dungeon structure Metroidvania nature of Asylum and think the series lost its way after that. City was still good but Origins was very by the numbers and Knight was just shit with all the Batmobile nonsense.

Games I've bought and not finished in the last generation or so.

Last of Us

Metal Gear Solid 4

Fallout 4

Red Dead Redemption 2

Titanfall 2

Sunset Overdrive

Arkham Knight

South Park: Fractured But Whole

Hitman

Doom (2016)

Watch Dogs 2

Halo 5