Terror attack in London

dontdamnmeuyi2015

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What is your opinion on West Hampstead? That is where I stayed (and am probably staying again in September). The old Decca studio is somewhere there apparently where the Stones recorded; it is something else, a ballet school or something or other.

Nice little village.  As in with everywhere in London its not ever so far from some naughtyness if thats your inclination, Camdens right nearby but Hampsteads famously posh.  Regents Park, Primrose Hill and all that.  I was actually round that way last weekend, had a drink in The Good Mixer.  Hampstead in general is pretty posh, especially the eastern end, thats where all your popstars and that live. 

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Nice little village.  As in with everywhere in London its not ever so far from some naughtyness if thats your inclination, Camdens right nearby but Hampsteads famously posh.  Regents Park, Primrose Hill and all that.  I was actually round that way last weekend, had a drink in The Good Mixer.  Hampstead in general is pretty posh, especially the eastern end, thats where all your popstars and that live. 

My local was the Railway Arms.

Two Tube stops from St John's Wood, i.e., Lord's. Think it goes Baker St then St John's Wood. 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

McCartney lives up that way, St Johns Wood.  

I visited Abbey Rd but that was ages ago, around time of millennium. 

Have you ever drank in George Inn, just south of Thames, just south of one of the bridges (Tower or London)? It is a Shakespearean pub, probably the most historic pub I've been in. Bit of a tourist trap as a consequence but I still loved it.

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I visited Abbey Rd but that was ages ago, around time of millennium. 

Have you ever drank in George Inn, just south of Thames, just south of one of the bridges (Tower or London)? It is a Shakespearean pub, probably the most historic pub I've been in. Bit of a tourist trap as a consequence but I still loved it.

I haven’t, no Prospect of Whitby I have though, so I’m told Dickens used to drink there, which is why I went if I’m honest.  It has a fair bit of other history too.  There’s a few little historic spots like that along the river.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Londons always been a bit dodgy.  Depends where you spend your time, if you're in the central area you're safe enough.  The trick is to just be plain, blend in, don't look worth mugging.  I'm in London every week and have been for yonks, its my go to place, and I've not once been mugged or...anything but I'm just jacket and jeans and a pair of manky old Adidas.  If you go round dodgy manors then you are more likely to get done over but why would you want to go to some shithole council estate anyway?  Londons lovely, my favourite place in the world, when I'm away from it for too long I feel like I'm somehow not on planet earth anymore.  There's a lovely annonymous feeling to it.  With any busy metropolis you're gonna have those sorts of concerns, I'm sure there are unsafe aspects to your New Yorks and LA's and Romes, there certainly is to Paris when I went there earlier in the year...if you live your life afraid of bad people like that then you'll never have a laugh.  For the few people that get mugged there's also millions that go in and out of London every day and have an amazing time. 

And as for terror attacks, really and truly speaking how often are they?  It'd've been scarier in the 70s when the IRA were running rampant, now they were organised and ruthless and knew what they were doing, these islamic ones are just isolated prannies they more often than not make a balls up of it.  Thick cunts and thank God they are.  What are the odds of being in the big city and happening upon a terror attack, its got to be in the millions, there's people living in war zones that act less afraid than the way some people talk around here. 

The city always felt safe, to be fair. I worked near St Pauls Cathedral on Cheapside for a few years, never had any bother. I lived in Tooting, Balham, Stratford and Lambeth/Waterloo before moving out to Surrey. For most of the time it was great, apart from Stratford. I was only there six months, and got assaulted, and robbed, two separate occasions. Nothing really bad, but it was scary. When I worked at Wembley, a colleague got mugged outside the tube station, got knocked out. I also witnessed at least 4/5 other assaults and that not including pubs. I think compared to the rest of my life, it was definitely an experience. Even on my last trip to London, only went for three days, I saw one lad beat another one with a baseball bat, and that was up the West End. Don't get me wrong, I like London, but I would never move back, I'm too old for that now haha

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I haven’t, no Prospect of Whitby I have though, so I’m told Dickens used to drink there, which is why I went if I’m honest.  It has a fair bit of other history too.  There’s a few little historic spots like that along the river.

Here are the historic pubs I went to,

Aforementioned George Inn, Southwark 

The Red Lion, Westminster (Attlee and Churchill used to drink here)

The Dickens Inn, St Katherine's Docks (linked to Dickens? Huge old sprawling place)

The Bear and Staff, Leicester Square 

I also visited the Lord's Taverners, next to Lord's. Crickety pub.

3 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

The city always felt safe, to be fair. I worked near St Pauls Cathedral on Cheapside for a few years, never had any bother. I lived in Tooting, Balham, Stratford and Lambeth/Waterloo before moving out to Surrey. For most of the time it was great, apart from Stratford. I was only there six months, and got assaulted, and robbed, two separate occasions. Nothing really bad, but it was scary. When I worked at Wembley, a colleague got mugged outside the tube station, got knocked out. I also witnessed at least 4/5 other assaults and that not including pubs. I think compared to the rest of my life, it was definitely an experience. Even on my last trip to London, only went for three days, I saw one lad beat another one with a baseball bat, and that was up the West End. Don't get me wrong, I like London, but I would never move back, I'm too old for that now haha

Tooting, Balham, these are your naughty manors, I can imagine you getting into some shit there.

I was in a nice hotel in West Hampstead but where a lot of the other Durham fans were staying, a Premier Inn, was in some shithole, cop cars racing down the street. A chap I know said there was a guy getting beat up when he arrived. Let me think of the name...

Something -church or -gate?

Edited by DieselDaisy

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Here are the historic pubs I went to,

Aforementioned George Inn, Southwark 

The Red Lion, Westminster (Attlee and Churchill used to drink here)

The Dickens Inn, St Katherine's Docks (linked to Dickens? Huge old sprawling place)

The Bear and Staff, Leicester Square 

I also visited the Lord's Taverners, next to Lord's. Crickety pub.

I’m gonna fuckin’ go on a pub crawl to all of em now :lol:  Pretty sure I’ve been in The Red Lion, though I’ve been in scores of Red Lions.

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Tooting, Balham, these are your naughty manors, I can imagine you getting into some shit there.

They were both ok actually. I lived the Tooting Bec end which was better than the Broadway side at night. Balham is actually ok too, even at night. We tended to go out to the pubs in Balham at night, we never really had any trouble. Back then, we had quite a lot of the residents of Springfield Hospital being placed back in the community, which caused some murder and extreme crime in our area, but it never affected us. Mitcham was more dodgy at night and parts of Streatham, maybe parts of Morden. Colliers Wood up through Wimbledon were generally ok. Brixton was never a problem, Stockwell was dodgy though. Back then, East London, and South East London were bad, and parts of North London, up the Holloway Road

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I’m gonna fuckin’ go on a pub crawl to all of em now :lol:  Pretty sure I’ve been in The Red Lion, though I’ve been in scores of Red Lions.

I know more about your boozers than you do. The Red Lion is literally that little pub on the corner as you pass Westminster Bridge, but before you reach The Banqueting House. 

PS

redlionwestminster-w300.jpg

(Typical London thing with everyone spilling out onto the street.)

The Red Lion stands on the site of a medieval tavern – known in 1434 as the Hopping Hall. The tavern passed through various hands and traded under many names in its early years, before it was bought by the Crown in 1531. 

Centuries later, with the inn trading as The Red Lion, a young Charles Dickens became a regular visitor. Dickens’ noted that the pub’s landlady was a kind-hearted soul, whose attitude towards him was ‘admiring as well as compassionate’. 

Standing so close to Downing Street and the Houses of Parliament, The Red Lion also became a popular haunt for British Prime Ministers. Indeed, the pub served every British Prime Minister up until Edward Heath in the 1970s - welcoming the likes of Sir Winston Churchill and Clement Atlee for a drink. 

Situated between 10 Downing Street and the Houses of Parliament, the Red Lion is probably the best pub in the city for lovers of political history. There's every chance you'll catch a glimpse of some of our Government's elite in the bar, too. 

https://www.redlionwestminster.co.uk/about

Edited by DieselDaisy

30 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I was in a nice hotel in West Hampstead but where a lot of the other Durham fans were staying, a Premier Inn, was in some shithole, cop cars racing down the street. A chap I know said there was a guy getting beat up when he arrived. Let me think of the name...

Something -church or -gate?

Lancaster Gate? It says online there's also a Hampstead Gate. I don't know that area of London very well apart from the fact that any coaches going to London Victoria from the north go near Hampstead

Edited by Mysteron

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I know more about your boozers than you do. The Red Lion is literally that little pub on the corner as you pass Westminster Bridge, but before you reach The Banqueting House. 

PS

Yeah, I’ve definitely been there!  More than once too.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

PS

Why did it only serve up to Ted Heath?

1 hour ago, Mysteron said:

They were both ok actually. I lived the Tooting Bec end which was better than the Broadway side at night. Balham is actually ok too, even at night. We tended to go out to the pubs in Balham at night, we never really had any trouble. Back then, we had quite a lot of the residents of Springfield Hospital being placed back in the community, which caused some murder and extreme crime in our area, but it never affected us. Mitcham was more dodgy at night and parts of Streatham, maybe parts of Morden. Colliers Wood up through Wimbledon were generally ok. Brixton was never a problem, Stockwell was dodgy though. Back then, East London, and South East London were bad, and parts of North London, up the Holloway Road

How long ago are you talking?

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I've been to actual Whitby a lot. Cracking place it is. :thumbsup: 

whitby.jpg

Anybody been to the Churchill Arms in Kensington?

image.jpg

k94MbhkbSmqWTS3HsTaN_Screenshot_20180110

Edited by Dazey

1 hour ago, Mysteron said:

I lived in London during the 90s, but I have lived around London too, in Kent, Surrey, Herts and Norfolk. 

Ah, makes sense why Balham was more alright for you then.  Never lived in London myself, I just go there a lot, being from the home counties there’s nowhere else to fuckin’ go really :lol: Where abouts in Herts were you at?

14 hours ago, soon said:

This place always has plants growing on the outside of it, which seem to be tied to various current events?  (like World Cup maybe?)

It's a great little pub. They serve cracking Thai food as well. As odd as that might sound. :lol: 

3 hours ago, Dazey said:

It's a great little pub. They serve cracking Thai food as well. As odd as that might sound. :lol: 

Haha, I most certainly didnt anticipate that they specialized in Thai! England is full of odd surprises, it seems. Take this couple out front The Churchill Pub for example. Its the guy in the bright orange shoes that gets to chat up the lady in the deep blue cat suit?!?

AuR4eOIh.jpg?1

:lol:

I really havent seen a pub like it, with so much ornamentation - and living ones at that. Only thing that comes close here is Pub Italia/The Abbey. Every inch of it is framed with (mostly) real italian and catholic artifacts. Too the point its over the top cheesy. Theres also lots of murals and it can take a few visits to notice how many of the nuns and bar maids depicted in them are in fact vampires. Just lots of weird. Pics dont really do it justice though.

thXFdNq.jpg

(speaking of plants, I havent been there in a minute since my buddy tried to light one of those hanging planters on fire :lol:)

kY0f52b.jpg

more, including from outside

http://www.pubitalia.ca/pics.html