MYGNRFORUM YouTube Policy

1 minute ago, Powderfinger said:

that “puts (posters) on the same legal ground” as some dude who did shit I know fuck all about.

No, I think you're confused here.  The opinion wasn't that those who posted about it were in legal hazard, but the forum for allowing discussion and hence promotion of said leaks.  Again, it completely fails to understand the very basics of copyright law and freedom of expression.  If that legal attitude were to be accepted, every major newspaper would be shut down for reporting on a crime.  

19 minutes ago, downzy said:

Whether it's GNR related or not, we can no longer allow links to content that wasn't provided by the rights holder.  

So the various threads in the 'My World's section can no longer have anything posted that isn't from the artist's official YT channel? 

3 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

So the various threads in the 'My World's section can no longer have anything posted that isn't from the artist's official YT channel? 

Yes, unfortunately that would appear to be the case.  The fuckhead responsible likely doesn't care if we limit this policy to just GNR related videos.  We have had a pretty big target on our backs for years for not allowing various people who may or may not be responsible for the recent events.  Many banned members have claimed it was their mission to see this forum go down.  This is simply one of the many tactics they are employing.  

• Thanks 1

I wish a music media outlet would pick this story up, it seems ridiculous enough to be interesting to music fans in general, GNR fans or not. Maybe that would spur management to act. I don't know. It's just so hard to fathom that this is the end result.

I do agree that this is more of an annoyance than a heavy burden for the community, Mygnr will be fine of course. It's only the absurdity of the situation that is so frustrating.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Wow, this is somewhat murky.  I posted a youtube vid of me performing a cover song, is that ok?

Yes, since a cover of a copyright song is not susceptible to the same copyright claim process.

4 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

I wish a music media outlet would pick this story up, it seems ridiculous enough to be interesting to music fans in general, GNR fans or not. Maybe that would spur management to act. I don't know. It's just so hard to fathom that this is the end result

If I had the free time and the inclination I would write something up about my experiences about this situation and send it to some news outlets where I have some connections.  I do agree that it's an interesting development that will likely get more attention as the Internet and content rights figures things out.  

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Yes, since a cover of a copyright song is not susceptible to the same copyright claim process.

Just word filter any YouTube URL's to display the text "DON'T POST YOUTUBE VIDEOS, IDIOT" and be done with it

Way too confusing otherwise - we can survive without them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Just word filter any YouTube URL's to display the text "DON'T POST YOUTUBE VIDEOS, IDIOT" and be done with it

Way too confusing otherwise - we can survive without them

Part of me agrees, but there are legitimate reasons to continue to allow YouTube links to licensed content.  There's still a lot of activity in the Various sections, and it's fun to see people posting film and video game trailers as well as official videos from non-GNR artists.  There's also news clips in Anything Goes that's worth having.

So I don't think we need or should cut it off completely.  

• GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, downzy said:

Part of me agrees, but there are legitimate reasons to continue to allow YouTube links to licensed content.  There's still a lot of activity in the Various sections, and it's fun to see people posting film and video game trailers as well as official videos from non-GNR artists.  There's also news clips in Anything Goes that's worth having.

So I don't think we need or should cut it off completely.  

What if you just did the word-filter thing in the GNR-specific forums

34 minutes ago, downzy said:

The area I would push back on a bit is your concluding remarks.  As much as the fans enjoyed the leaks, I also understand why GNR/TB would be upset at fans hearing music that was never meant to be heard.  I've always believed that an artist gets to decide what they want to do with their art.  If they want to bury it, that's their right.  Its existence doesn't give fans the us the right to consume it.  I do feel bad for Axl that music he never intended to release in the format that it's in was released.  Some people put their heart and souls into their work and I feel for them if they unwillingly lose agency over it.  

Fair. May not have been the best take. Just angry and upset at this band honestly.

• Like 3

Doesn't it seem like at this point it would be inappropriate at all to discuss any leaks or downloaded content then? I completely understand the legal limitations, and legal gravity that is possibly at stake; so I empathize. But, it just seems like it might not be in the best interest of the forum to continue discussing something, that for all intents and purposes is illegal. 

alright guys, only official material huh

let's talk about the official video that just went out called "sweet chuild of mine". What a cute dog

i mean, is this band serious? We haven't had absolutely nothing "official" to discuss about for over a decade. There must be something we could do about it, a dumb hashtag like the one who brougth back Estranged, a mass cancel of that "Nightrain" ass kissing crap... SOMETHING

16 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Doesn't it seem like at this point it would be inappropriate at all to discuss any leaks or downloaded content then? I completely understand the legal limitations, and legal gravity that is possibly at stake; so I empathize. But, it just seems like it might not be in the best interest of the forum to continue discussing something, that for all intents and purposes is illegal. 

No.  I completely reject the notion that discussion of a crime or unlicensed material is akin to having a hand in it.  We allow discussions of mass shootings, assassinations, abuse, theft.  For the same reasons that newspapers don't get shut down for reporting on these matters, we should not be at risk for allowing people to discuss songs that leaked.

Moreover, considering members of management were entertaining and fielding questions on a platform (cough, reddit) that allowed for (and still does) open discussion of GNR leaks, it's not something I'm worried about.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, downzy said:

No.  I completely reject the notion that discussion of a crime or unlicensed material is akin to having a hand in it.  We allow discussions of mass shootings, assassinations, abuse, theft.  For the same reasons that newspapers don't get shut down for reporting on these matters, we should not be at risk for allowing people to discuss songs that leaked.

Moreover, considering members of management were entertaining and fielding questions on a platform (cough, reddit) that allowed for (and still does) open discussion of GNR leaks, it's not something I'm worried about.  

Fair enough, good luck with this endeavor sir. Also, wish this headache would go away. No other fan base deals with this bullshit

1 minute ago, -W.A.R- said:

I find it ridiculous that they except forum owners to police YouTube videos.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. 

What tripped us up was that one of our mods posted a link to a video.  I don't fault the mod at all since we've always operated on the fact that the platform hosting the video is responsible, not us.  But our hosting provider took this as evidence that we weren't serious about enforcing copyright and had apparently received numerous other complaints relating to violations of the DMCA and sent me the warning.  I get their position because I would assume the last thing they want to deal with is constant and annoying copyright complaints.  Too many complaints and it hurts their relationship with AWS.  

This is what the internet is now.  It's susceptible to abuse and no one seems able or interested in doing anything about it.  It's a shame we didn't know how good we had it for the last ten to fifteen years.  But our issue is a reflection of what is going on as a whole with respect to copyright and enforcement.  

Just now, UsedYourIllusion said:

No other fan base deals with this bullshit

Not yet, but I believe we're likely the point of the spear.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You know what pisses me off the most?

That nobody gets a chance or has the balls to directly confront Axl, Slash, Duff about this. They're just people like the rest of us. Someone like Howard Stern maybe would, but they won't talk to someone like that right. What a disgrace.

Yesterday, I saw a video of Henry Rollins interviewing Duff. Guess what, it was Duff talking up his punk roots for the gazillionist time. Not a single real question by Rollins. I was about to puke.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, downzy said:

At the end of the day, it wasn't YouTube videos that built this forum (YouTube didn't even exist when this forum first started).  It was the community of passionate GNR fans who wanted a place to discuss anything related to the band and the music.  

It's was a lot easier to be passionate about gnr back then though.

The only reason I'm still a part of the gnr fan community is the community itself. The band and its management can go fuck themselves. This whole situation is just pathetic. Best way to deal with it is to completely stop spending money on gnr. Thankfully, that's easy too. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

You know what pisses me off the most?

That nobody gets a chance or has the balls to directly confront Axl, Slash, Duff about this. They're just people like the rest of us. Someone like Howard Stern maybe would, but they won't talk to someone like that right. What a disgrace.

Yesterday, I saw a video of Henry Rollins interviewing Duff. Guess what, it was Duff talking up his punk roots for the gazillionist time. Not a single real question by Rollins. I was about to puke.

Even Howard probably wouldn't care enough to ask about why youtube videos of them are being taken down a ton since it isn't really a big media story or anything.  Howard has softened up too, he doesn't really facilitate confrontational interviews in general anymore, he usually tries to be a therapist in recent times lol

Sadly in the grand scheme of things, the people who suffer the most from this situation are such a tiny portion of even the GNR fanbase who buys tickets and makes them money so I guess in TB's eyes we are just a non-entity which is a shame

Edited by WhazUp

23 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

directly confront Axl, Slash, Duff about this.

Lol all due respect but I think that, if most people meet A, S or D (omg I just had an unrelated thought: imagne if Duff's name started with an F, instead?  If instead of Duff he was like... "Fuff" or something... than the trio would be known as the almighty A...F...D! lol)- but yeah, I think if most people meet one of the three of them for the first time, they'd probably want to talk about other things besides this situation lol. 

edit: whoops, I fucked that up.  Not Duff being Fuff... It would have to be Slash.  Flash... Axl, Flash and Duff.   AFD haha. 

Edited by there is no dana only zool
goddamnit
  • Haha 2