Josh or Brain

Josh for sure. But to be fair Axl told Brain to play what Josh played, so who knows how he would have interpreted the songs if Axl just said "do whatever". Which oddly enough is exactly how Frank ruined the title track, by interpreting it as a boring song that needs the blandest beat ever

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Paging @Wagszilla.......

I have been paged.

New GNR is an attempted thoughtful recreation of the original lineup. The punk bassist that gels well with the punk pop drummer. McKagan/Adler and Stinson/Freese. Easy parallels.

Just like with original GNR and new GNR, when Freese left, something valuable was lost in the chemistry of the band. Was something gained? Debatable. I’d say yes, but more was lost than gained. Another debate, another day...

Josh’s fills and outros are heavenly. Thank god for these latest leaks that we finally get to hear them. Load up TWAT and take a listen to the outro. The drum version of Bucketheads solo... If you listen to Brains work it’s dumbed down and you can feel him being tentative because he’s a little out of his depth.

TL;DR: Dig em both but Josh is the better drummer by far and better drummer for Guns. Josh’s style lends towards the rock-oriented stuff and Brain lends towards the big arena rock stuff (just like Sorum). Just him away from ballads. “Good ol Brain... bash the hell out of a love song”.

• Like 3

Josh. Not only he was a great drummer with a style that worked with what Axl was trying to do, he also came up with song ideas that Axl actually used and released. You snooze, you lose.

Brain was no slouch though. Both are monster drummers. I'm of the opinion Axl should have released a double album with only Josh's work after he left but Axl doesn't do that. What he did with Brain was weird and kinda disrespectful to both drummers  imo. Either you keep the work or you rerecord it with new drum parts, give the drummer a chance to be a real part of it.

Instead we got a combination of 3 drummers in 1 album. Again, weird. You can't do that without losing the coherence of the drummer's style and I like Frank's work on the record. It's just... there was no real need for it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2