Who is The King of Rock N Roll ?

oldnews

Elvis is the one who made it so that we're sitting here talking about rock n roll today, the face of it, the thing that was needed to make it an international cultural phenomenon.  The musical aspect Chuck covered, not just musical but lyrical too, teenage stories, teenage concerns, cars, birds and sex.  Little Richard is the soul and spirit of it.  None of em could belt out a tune like Rich.  In fact no one ever has been able to belt out a tune like Rich, Rich' took it to that place where like...the fuckin' nth degree, where it sounded proper subversive and rebellious, this raving flash poof screeching hollering at the top of his lungs like he's out of his mind.  People have come close to Rich'...but no ones topped him.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Hate to say it but I find the genre completely dead. But people will continue to listen to Elvis, Little Richard and Chuck - and their successors, Stones, Who and so forth - so in that sense rock n' roll will never die. 

dead as a fuckin’ doornail mate.  But thats OK, everything has its time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Elvis is the one who made it so that we're sitting here talking about rock n roll today, the face of it, the thing that was needed to make it an international cultural phenomenon.  The musical aspect Chuck covered, not just musical but lyrical too, teenage stories, teenage concerns, cars, birds and sex.  Little Richard is the soul and spirit of it.  None of em could belt out a tune like Rich.  In fact no one ever has been able to belt out a tune like Rich, Rich' took it to that place where like...the fuckin' nth degree, where it sounded proper subversive and rebellious, this raving flash poof screeching hollering at the top of his lungs like he's out of his mind.  People have come close to Rich'...but no ones topped him.

one can easily put cliff richard in that list. "the elvis from great britain", stealing many a woman's heart.

(I just came to realise that when your name is "richard" you're in for an exciting rock n roll career. Little richard, Keith Richards, Cliff Richard, eh... Richard Fortus. All of them became richard and famous.)

I remember finding this record in my dad's music collection when I was 9 years old or something. :lol: I thought it was pretty cool, but "dad's rock" nonetheless.

Edited by action

23 minutes ago, action said:

one can easily put cliff richard in that list. "the elvis from great britain", stealing many a woman's heart.

(I just came to realise that when your name is "richard" you're in for an exciting rock n roll career. Little richard, Keith Richards, Cliff Richard, eh... Richard Fortus. All of them became richard and famous.)

I remember finding this record in my dad's music collection when I was 9 years old or something. :lol: I thought it was pretty cool, but "dad's rock" nonetheless.

I gotta admit thats a pretty sick riff/tune.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

Cliff certainly had the occasional belter lurking away amongst a load of dreary shit.

don't all these artists mentioned?

little richard lost something after the 50s. I don't know what happened there.

Movie Elvis is best forgotten, 1968 marked a brief return to form, and from 1970 onwards he just got fed up with rock n roll, going for lamenting country pop in stead.

chuck berry, likewise, lost something in the 70s, becoming this strange bar entertainer 

These artists didn't really respect the music they helped create, as time went on. Increasingly, they made a mockery of it. 

• Like 1

Movie Elvis is best forgotten

There's some cracking tunes in those films y'know, Roustabout, GI Blues, Elvis sang so well his voice alone on whatever kind of track gives it something.  Rock a Hula and all that.

chuck berry, likewise, lost something in the 70s, becoming this strange bar entertainer 

He did a fair bit of work in the 70s too y'know.  I think when you get to a point where you like...embody an archetype you kinda don't need to do anything else.  He done a bit of bird at the end of the 70s that didn't help matters either.  There's a fair bit of range to his discography though, if you dig a little.

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

There's some cracking tunes in those films y'know, Roustabout, GI Blues, Elvis sang so well his voice alone on whatever kind of track gives it something.  Rock a Hula and all that.

He did a fair bit of work in the 70s too y'know.  I think when you get to a point where you like...embody an archetype you kinda don't need to do anything else.  He done a bit of bird at the end of the 70s that didn't help matters either.  There's a fair bit of range to his discography though, if you dig a little.

"pocketfull of rainbows" is quite enjoyable too. a nice little uplifting song. The problem here is, there was not much rock n roll.

don't get me wrong, elvis still had a great voice, brilliant even, but I'll always see the '60s as the period which destroyed his rock n roll career.

5 minutes ago, action said:

"pocketfull of rainbows" is quite enjoyable too. a nice little uplifting song. The problem here is, there was not much rock n roll.

don't get me wrong, elvis still had a great voice, brilliant even, but I'll always see the '60s as the period which destroyed his rock n roll career.

Elvis is almost like The Sex Pistols where like, in terms of impact, cultural significance, its that original document, that one album, that debut that just blew everything apart.  Everything that happened afterwards sort of showed the power of popular music and its effect on a culture, I agree with you really though I perhaps wouldn't put it as harshly as 'destroyed his career'.  I think any top 10 greatest albums of all time list is incomplete without Elvises debut on it, that album is pure fuckin' magic.  Its really incalcuable the effect it had on postwar popular culture, almost impossible to overrate it.  And this is all fuckin' sociological bollocks too, musically speaking its just full of cracking tunes with not a a hairs worth of filler on it.

• Like 2

this thread inspired me to ask little richards' greatest hits album for christmas. 

funny story, my wife called me from the store asking me if I wanted something else too, since the cd only cost 2.99 euro.

bloody hell, richard ain't exactly justin bieber in popularity these days, is he.

then my wife "who the hell is little richard anyway? some kind of rock kid or something, I can't find anything in the kids' section". lol

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, action said:

this thread inspired me to ask little richards' greatest hits album for christmas. 

funny story, my wife called me from the store asking me if I wanted something else too, since the cd only cost 2.99 euro.

bloody hell, richard ain't exactly justin bieber in popularity these days, is he.

then my wife "who the hell is little richard anyway? some kind of rock kid or something, I can't find anything in the kids' section". lol

You can’t blame her.  In actual fact we’re the odd ones here, the ones who act like these names are common knowledge nearly 70 years after the fact.  Sobering thought really, the idea that there’s people walking the streets these days that have more than likely never heard of The Beatles.

Edited by Len Cnut

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

You can’t blame her.  In actual fact we’re the odd ones here, the ones who act like these names are common knowledge nearly 70 years after the fact.  Sobering thought really, the idea that there’s people walking the streets these days that have more than likely never heard of The Beatles.

what do you say? the beatniks? beat boys? oh the beatles? what an odd name for a band.

they any good?