What Made Guns N' Roses Special?

A band whose debut album was impossible to ignore. A real rock n' roll record in an era otherwise dominated by hair metal.

Swagger of the Rolling Stones, vintage guitar crunch of Aerosmith and AC/DC, attitude of The Sex Pistols. They took these elements and managed to be unique.

As said by others, a band greater than the sum of its parts.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

They just had that 'it' factor. As the previous post said, they were a real band in an era full of hair metal. Guns is my favorite band so I don't like to compare other bands but they blow any modern rock band out of the water. 

Ps- I'm half drunk right now so don't take any of this seriously :lol:

What made GNR special was the music and attitude. The opening riff of Jungle gets your adrenaline pumped followed by the bass line in ISE. They had that F u attitude. They were fights as well. GNR was, is and always will be my favorite all-time band!! Axl and Slash will always be two of my childhood idols!!

• GNFNR 1

More than one talented songwriter in the band, great songs, cool logos, a unique singer, a unique guitarist, the band had a lot of charisma in an era when MTV was still huge, the way they incorporated several rock genres into their sound, the danger and rawness they possessed at a time when a lot of mainstream rock bands were kinda superficial. It was probably a combination of all those things together that made them stand out and special.

• GNFNR 1

It can ultimately come down to the two founding members. Axl and Izzy were the yin and yang that didn’t really belong in a band together but ended up creating a unique formula. Then you bring in the punk rock ethos of Duff and combine that with the showmanship of Slash and that’s another two dimensions.

GNR is the fourth dimension of rock.

• Like 1

They were young n poor. And they were hungry and a lot to say.

Axl had it all. The (multiple) voices, the angry.... the show.

Slash have the tone, feeling, the blues...

And they used a lot of drugs n alcohol.... almost killed by that, but they had lucky too. The UYI was the highest. So sad that the egos, money and all the shit end ed the best band ever.

And Canter!!!! Release all your vault goddamm!!!! I will buy fkn all of it!!! 

FUCKING ALL!!!

• Haha 1

adlers not a great drummer but for GNR fucking perfect, 

duff said something in his book about the original 5 which leads credence to why the sound changed after adler 

all 5 original members could dance, they'd go out and anywhere they'd be all in on the dance floor,  had no qualms about dancing 

thats what a true band is all about, that swing and push 

anyone that came after were stiff as fuck with no moves with the ladies and had no swing or charm like the 5 did 

where do we start?

- Axl performance in Berlin 2018

- Axl's performance in Rio 2011

- musicians wearing more make up and mascara than girls in the entire average club on friday and a guitar player putting a McDonalds fries bucket on his head

- Frank's drumming

- Mel's green hair

- First 2019 Dead Horse performance

Fuck 86-93 GNR, that was just rock,  this is THE show! Doesn't get much MORE ridiculous than this

Shit!  ...I forgot...Team Brazil, my bad!  That is THE key ingrediant + laundry bags

Edited by shotsfired cro

They filled a void in between vapid hair metal and ridiculous leathery metal.

Their music combined styles that were popular at the time, rock, punk, metal, glam, and created something that everybody could like. At least one song or two. The music also veered between the aggressive and the sensitive, again offering something for everybody and breaking up the listening experience.

The musicianship was thoroughly excellent. Slash created solos and riffs that will go down in history. The guitar interplay between him and Izzy was exciting. They tried to avoid making the songs to simple but added codas and breaks that made the listening experience more interesting. Axl's amazing, stand-out vocals filled with emotions that felt genuine and real, tied it all together and lifted it to another level. You felt every word he sang came from a genuine place. And the vocals were raw and not operatic. 

The lyrics were earnest and refreshing since they didn't just deal with vapid love or themes people couldn't or wouldn't relate to (swords and fantasy or politics). 

Simply put, it wasn't a game, it was kids playing their hearts out. Trying to get a message across. Dead earnest about it. Well executed.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Team Brazil. Team Brazil made Guns N' Roses very special indeed. 

Inbefore Ralph Wiggum "I'm special!" pic gets posted. :D

It's hard to describe what made them so special back then and even harder to accept how little is left of it now.

If they somehow would be able to capture that magic one more time, man, that would be the best thing ever. Chances are very slim, imo. 

For me, it was the mix of styles, there was duff punk, izzy blues, slash rock, axl opera, and steven's offbeat drums. It was a great mix, and I thought Civil War showed progression after AFD. UYI was a lot to take in when it was released, but the dual release at midnight was exciting

Izzy's  Writing and Rhythm, Slash's Lead, Adler's unique Drumming, Duff's Bassline's, Axl's Voice and being so Hungry they had no choice but to put their all into making the best fucking music they could.  The way Izzy and Slash complemented Each other on Rhythm was also very special. The best Track on UYI is the one Adler played on... Civil War.

Once they got money it alll started to fall apart slowly. The music they wrote for UYI while writing for Appetite was the best.  They lost the pieces one by one.  When Izzy was no longer there to write, there was nowhere to go, except the Chinese Democracy Route.  The fact that Axl had the new band re-record Appetite shows you how important that formula is to GNR.   Hell, even the best VR stuff was the stuff that Izzy contributed.

We Need Down By The Ocean Axl... Make it Happen!

1 hour ago, War2k14 said:

Izzy's  Writing and Rhythm, Slash's Lead, Adler's unique Drumming, Duff's Bassline's, Axl's Voice and being so Hungry they had no choice but to put their all into making the best fucking music they could.  The way Izzy and Slash complemented Each other on Rhythm was also very special. The best Track on UYI is the one Adler played on... Civil War.

Once they got money it alll started to fall apart slowly. The music they wrote for UYI while writing for Appetite was the best.  They lost the pieces one by one.  When Izzy was no longer there to write, there was nowhere to go, except the Chinese Democracy Route.  The fact that Axl had the new band re-record Appetite shows you how important that formula is to GNR.   Hell, even the best VR stuff was the stuff that Izzy contributed.

We Need Down By The Ocean Axl... Make it Happen!

I think the only reason the Appetite was re-recorded was so he can sell the songs and not give the ex's royalty fees. GN'R material was high demand and unfortunately almost impossible to use at the time for movies and stuff.