What Made Guns N' Roses Special?

These guys were as real as it got. Yeah of course Motley Crue has its decadence—but the music is largely stylized, formulaic. GN’R really had a good influence of multiple bands, some genres that blend well and were missing from the sound at the time. Look at the top records, stadium rock like Journey (although I love Journey), Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson, cheesy ‘80s pop. They were and still are so real to me; musicians who are unapologetic, and for the most part actually have something to say.

the songs connected to real life and feelings. All of appetite, and a large portion of UYI are so relatable. Plus Izzy and Slash could have been Mick and Keith if everything kept going. Wishing I could go back in time, or just see an alternate timeline where GN’R continued to rule the world and hit their full potential.

or at least have CD release early, with the superior leak versions; have Axl get his catharsis he needed and have the reunion in 2006 😬 I’m glad you guys exist, because GN’R was such a flash in the pan for a lot of people that I don’t really have friends who are fans... I’m only 25, so it’s understandable, but god I can’t stand my chemical romance and the shit other people my age like.. (p.s. I’m not one of those grumpy-picky bitches) 😂

Edited by UsedYourIllusion
  • Thanks 1

I agree with everyone on page 3 . I like, liked Poison, Def Lrppard, Motely Crue, BonJovi, and other bands or just done of their songs of rock bands of the 1980s.  What set GnR apart was the 5 guys had chemistry to make it happen. They were the right mix of each . Then, AFD, what hell !!  Where did THAT come from ? WHO are these people? They didnt even look right, you know, like the others. No big hair. No leathery , cut outs pants, stuff like that. GnR early years finding  their niche did the makeup, stuff. Just different.  That AFD album cover had skeletons on it that lookrd like them. No syrupy sweet ballads. SCofMine ain't all that sugary sweet. Axl was singing and screaming.  No poppy rock and roll. It was not hard, heavy metal Motorhead stuff, but not Winger. And GnR weren't like pretty boy KipWinger and others. GnR was different and just stood out.                                                               Off topic. DefLeppard, Poison,  Joan Jett n Blackhearts, and Motely Crue are touring  together.  Go figure  that one out. The Stadium Tour is the name of it.      GnR 3/5 alone , well you know the 584 million story. Unbelievable.  Why is Motely going back out there with Mick Mars being sick and Vince is in way worst shape than Axl ever was over his NITL,  go figure that out. DefLepard stays on the road  part of the year every year just about since 1985  and their audience is forever faithful. 

44 minutes ago, fantomas said:

For me it's their reverence for their fans.  The constant output of music and the way they interact with the fan base is great. You can tell they value us.

Haha. It's funny, because it's a miracle there are even some of us still around. 

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

Unpredictability. They might come on late, or not at all, or play an amazing show. They might be drunk or sloppy. 

That and obviously the talent. Great musicians with great songs. And their style made them appeal to different genres such as metal, pop, punk.

A band like Guns probably wouldn’t be popular today. We’re too PC now and people like things on time and to stand just recording a whole show. 

• Like 1

The Melrose Place-esque soap opera drama set them apart. A bipolar redhead diva who spent 25 years eating pork rinds in bed. The legend of Paul Tobias and his abduction by aliens. Mr. Buckethead. The ghost of Izzy Stradlin'. That's what sustained interest through the 90's up till 2006. Since then, there's been nothing special about the band.

Maybe their specialty now is inducing boredom in their dwindling fanbase.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

The Melrose Place-esque soap opera drama set them apart. A bipolar redhead diva who spent 25 years eating pork rinds in bed. The legend of Paul Tobias and his abduction by aliens. Mr. Buckethead. The ghost of Izzy Stradlin'. That's what sustained interest through the 90's up till 2006. Since then, there's been nothing special about the band.

Maybe their specialty now is inducing boredom in their dwindling fanbase.

I, at least, thought the band was interesting between '06-'10. Afterwards it seemed bloated in all the wrong ways. Just tiresome. 

• Like 1

In the age of 80s guitar tapping and whammy bar dives, and pinch harmonics, Slash said "fuck all that" and went back to some sleazy and dirty riffs and blues based leads

In the age of 80s guitar wankery Izzy decided "fuck all that" and did Keef-esque laid back guitar scratch rhythm that complimented the guy next to him

In the age of 80s hair metal, GNR decided to write songs with their own voice and style rather than trying to be another Cinderalla

Really, what made GNR special is that they made the music they wanted to make, and the great songs that came as a culmination of their influences

On 12/18/2019 at 4:22 PM, WhazUp said:

In the age of 80s guitar tapping and whammy bar dives, and pinch harmonics, Slash said "fuck all that" and went back to some sleazy and dirty riffs and blues based leads

In the age of 80s guitar wankery Izzy decided "fuck all that" and did Keef-esque laid back guitar scratch rhythm that complimented the guy next to him

In the age of 80s hair metal, GNR decided to write songs with their own voice and style rather than trying to be another Cinderalla

Really, what made GNR special is that they made the music they wanted to make, and the great songs that came as a culmination of their influences

I believe GNR pretty much produced all their own albums. That is rare. These are truly thier songs.