Best Live Recordings per era?

To try and get away from all the nonsense surrounding the forum at the moment, I was thinking about live recordings/boots and wondered what folk thought were the best representations per album/tour?

For example for the Skin and Bone tour, Saskatoon is the best quality recording you can get. But what about:-

Pre-appetite

Appetite tour

UYI tour

2000 up to Chinese release

Post-Chinese release to pre-reunion

Reunion

Im thinking about the best quality recordings (SBD/‘official’) that has killer performances. I know there are loads out there (quite a few on Amazon Music actually) but want the opinion of the forum!

NOTE:- not asking for links or anything like that. Just keen to know of the actual gigs so I ‘know what I’m looking for’.

Edited by DTJ80
Clarity

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Best show period was Bridge School in 2012- I cant provide video proof because of the people who got unofficial links banned on the forum, so you’ll just have to take my word on it.

Ha ha - I know full well that’s likely THE WORST GNR performance anywhere.......ever! 😂

37 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Roxy January 1986

Toledo 1988

Paris 1992

Rock in Rio 2001

Bridge School 2012 (you said “best representing,” right? Well this show “best represents” how much this era sucked)

Detroit 2016

Interesting. Are the Toledo 88 and Detroit 16 SBD? Never heard them mentioned although the others are pretty well known.

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

Interesting. Are the Toledo 88 and Detroit 16 SBD? Never heard them mentioned although the others are pretty well known.

Not that I know of, no. Just audience recordings. If you’re looking for soundboards and/or pro-shots, then I’d pick Ritz 1987 (the 1988 one is a little overrated imo) for the AFD era, and I guess whatever decent soundboards and/or pro-shots exist for NITL (just make sure to avoid Rock in Rio 2017!).

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

10 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Not that I know of, no. Just audience recordings. If you’re looking for soundboards and/or pro-shots, then I’d pick Ritz 1987 (the 1988 one is a little overrated imo) for the AFD era, and I guess whatever decent soundboards and/or pro-shots exist for NITL (just make sure to avoid Rock in Rio 2017!).

Ha ha - yeah, I’ll dodge RIR. I have the Forum and New York stream recordings and vocally they were patchy. The best I have heard is an IEM of a Vegas 2016 gig. Just wondered if there were any others. An SBD/IEM from the start of the recent leg would have been ace but no joy it seems!

• Like 1

Some consistent shouts here - Boston 02 and Tokyo/Osaka 09 look to be worth checking out (I have Rock Am Ring already). Houston 16 is another one - is there a SBD/IEM mix of this as the one I have is an audience recording which is decent quality?

Edited by DTJ80

Any 1986 show (I guess music machine has a bit better quality)

Ritz 88 (not the best show in vocal performance but I think it perfectly represents that era)

Indiana 1991/Chicago 1992/Paris 1992 (from rawer to less raw)

CD: Hob, rio, boston 2002 (3 cam mix sbd audio) rock am ring 2006

London 2012 (pro shot, Izzy guests on some songs)

Forum/ apollo 2017 (soundboard, you can find audience videos with sbd audio)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fanfzero said:

Any 1986 show (I guess music machine has a bit better quality)

Ritz 88 (not the best show in vocal performance but I think it perfectly represents that era)

Indiana 1991/Chicago 1992/Paris 1992 (from rawer to less raw)

CD: Hob, rio, boston 2002 (3 cam mix sbd audio) rock am ring 2006

London 2012 (pro shot, Izzy guests on some songs)

Forum/ apollo 2017 (soundboard, you can find audience videos with sbd audio)

Cool - will look into Indiana/Chicago/London. The Forum/Apollo gigs were such a wasted opportunity as the vocals are so patchy.

Pre-AFD: Music Machine

AFD: The Ritz ‘87 or any of the ‘89 Rolling Stones shows.

UYI: Wembley ‘91 (probably the best UYI show imo) and Bremen, Germany ’93.

I haven’t listened enough to the CD era to have any recommendations except for the 2001 HoB show :)

Marquee 87 - does anyone know if there is a SBD without the fake crowd (Niven disc has fake crowd). I think I have the audience version where you can hear the crowd is - eh - not as loud! I hate it when a fake crowd is planted on to recordings like that.

If we are talking “Best quality”, I’d consider:

Music Machine 86

Ritz 87 / Marquee 87 / Tokyo 88

Paris 92 / Argentina 92 / Saskatoon 93

HOB 01 / RIR 01 (DirecTV) / Boston 02 / Rock AM Ring 06 / Osaka 09

Vegas 16 / Apollo 17 / San Diego 17 / Forum 17

8 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Some consistent shouts here - Boston 02 and Tokyo/Osaka 09 look to be worth checking out (I have Rock Am Ring already). Houston 16 is another one - is there a SBD/IEM mix of this as the one I have is an audience recording which is decent quality?

Having heard "classic era" boots so many times, Boston 2002 and Osaka/Tokyo 2009 are some of my main listens these days; both periods were it seemed Axl had something to "prove". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Having heard "classic era" boots so many times, Boston 2002 and Osaka/Tokyo 2009 are some of my main listens these days; both periods were it seemed Axl had something to "prove". 

Cheers - these two definitely seem popular. If you had to choose a ‘classic’ era one - which would it be?