Best Live Recordings per era?

‘86 music machine

’87 Ritz and Marquee

’88 Tokyo show (show where you’re crazy from live era is taken)

’91 Philadelphia show (fight interrupts jungle), Stockholm shows, forum (pick any night)

’92 Chicago

’93 Hartford, Saskatoon, Texas, first night in argentina

02 Boston 

06 rock am ring

all the 09 shows

2010 rose bar, St. Petersburg 

2016 Atlanta, Detroit 

2019 Charlotte 

• Like 1

Chinese Era: House of Blues, Boston 2002 and Rock AM Ring

Post Chinese: Philadelphia 2012 (probably my favorite Rocket Queen ever), L’Arc 2010, Rose Bar 2010, London 2010, Osaka 2009.

NITL: Houston 2016

Edited by Dean

14 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

‘86 music machine

’87 Ritz and Marquee

’88 Tokyo show (show where you’re crazy from live era is taken)

’91 Philadelphia show (fight interrupts jungle), Stockholm shows, forum (pick any night)

’92 Chicago

’93 Hartford, Saskatoon, Texas, first night in argentina

02 Boston 

06 rock am ring

all the 09 shows

2010 rose bar, St. Petersburg 

2016 Atlanta, Detroit 

2019 Charlotte 

I take it the 2010-2019 shows are all audience recordings?

34 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I take it the 2010-2019 shows are all audience recordings?

The Tokyo show from '88 only has 2 tracks on live era (soundboard), the '91 shows are all audience, the '93 hartford is audience, same with Texas, '09 shows as well--Tokyo '09 has Axl's IEM recording, the 2010 are audience, as well are the NITL tour. So yes, just wanted to be thorough if you haven't had the chance to view all these shows. I'm not sure if their is a complete Atlanta and Charlotte recording-those are just the two shows I attended during the tour. Both, at least compared to others i have heard, are great performances.

3 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

The Tokyo show from '88 only has 2 tracks on live era (soundboard), the '91 shows are all audience, the '93 hartford is audience, same with Texas, '09 shows as well--Tokyo '09 has Axl's IEM recording, the 2010 are audience, as well are the NITL tour. So yes, just wanted to be thorough if you haven't had the chance to view all these shows. I'm not sure if their is a complete Atlanta and Charlotte recording-those are just the two shows I attended during the tour. Both, at least compared to others i have heard, are great performances.

Appreciate the information - very helpful. 👍

On 12/9/2019 at 12:06 PM, TheSeeker said:

Ritz 1987

Ritz 1988

FOX's Late Show 1988

Farm Aid 1990

Rock in Rio 1991

Chicago 1992

Freddie Mercury Tribute 1992

MTV VMA's 1992

Buenos Aires 1992

Saskatoon 1993

House of Blues 2001

MTV VMA's 2002

Rock am Ring 2006

Reading 2010

Forum 2017

Man those are some good ones.  I remember recording the farm aid show on a vcr.  The welcome to the jungle at the VMA’s in ‘88 was another great one. 

• Like 2

On 09/12/2019 at 7:42 AM, fanfzero said:

Any 1986 show (I guess music machine has a bit better quality)

Ritz 88 (not the best show in vocal performance but I think it perfectly represents that era)

Indiana 1991/Chicago 1992/Paris 1992 (from rawer to less raw)

CD: Hob, rio, boston 2002 (3 cam mix sbd audio) rock am ring 2006

London 2012 (pro shot, Izzy guests on some songs)

Forum/ apollo 2017 (soundboard, you can find audience videos with sbd audio)

Do you know if there is an audio rip of the London 2012 gig?

1987: Marquee, Hammersmith, Ritz, Dane Couny

1988: San Diego, Late Show, Seattle, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Universal Studios, Nakano

1991: Noblesville, Philadelphia, the Euro shows, any of the December shows with a good quality recording.

Fuck 1992. Listen to any of the soundboards except Argentina I guess.

1993: Austin, Hartford, Saskatoon, Milton Keynes, first night of Argentina.

Shows that should be avoided at all cost: Ritz 1988 and Argentina 1992. Really weak performances from Axl. 

On 12/15/2019 at 5:31 PM, Waemoth said:

1987: Marquee, Hammersmith, Ritz, Dane Couny

1988: San Diego, Late Show, Seattle, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Universal Studios, Nakano

1991: Noblesville, Philadelphia, the Euro shows, any of the December shows with a good quality recording.

Fuck 1992. Listen to any of the soundboards except Argentina I guess.

1993: Austin, Hartford, Saskatoon, Milton Keynes, first night of Argentina.

Shows that should be avoided at all cost: Ritz 1988 and Argentina 1992. Really weak performances from Axl. 

I find it interesting you list the Ritz ‘88 show as one to avoid-but not the Noblesville show? Axl had a decent, but not great night at the Ritz— the recording of the show isn’t great either. But the 91 noblesville show has maybe 2 or 3 great Axl performances, and the show is a crappy recording as well. What do people appreciate about that Indiana show?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I find it interesting you list the Ritz ‘88 show as one to avoid-but not the Noblesville show? Axl had a decent, but not great night at the Ritz— the recording of the show isn’t great either. But the 91 noblesville show has maybe 2 or 3 great Axl performances, and the show is a crappy recording as well. What do people appreciate about that Indiana show?

First of all, I think Fransad's version of Noblesville sounds (and looks for that matter) really quite good. It's not a Tokyo or Paris, but I think it's at least comparable to Chile 1992.

I also think the setlist is solid, with RNDTH, first performance of NR, and Perfect Crime. Only songs that I really feel is missing is YCBM and perhaps Nightrain. 

Most importantly, I just like the way Axls' voice is really fucked up. He was still giving 110% which resulted in a unique sound. I can understand why people dislike it, but I do think anyone interested in boots should give it a go for sure. Some songs like Civil War do sound really bad IMO, but Rocket Queen and KOHD are great. I'm not saying that this is the one bootleg to end them all, just that I think that it's one of the relevant alternatives because it provides a bit of variety :)

Ritz 1988 is just San Diego 1988 with Axl singing worse, and a more limited setlist in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, Waemoth said:

First of all, I think Fransad's version of Noblesville sounds (and looks for that matter) really quite good. It's not a Tokyo or Paris, but I think it's at least comparable to Chile 1992.

I also think the setlist is solid, with RNDTH, first performance of NR, and Perfect Crime. Only songs that I really feel is missing is YCBM and perhaps Nightrain. 

Most importantly, I just like the way Axls' voice is really fucked up. He was still giving 110% which resulted in a unique sound. I can understand why people dislike it, but I do think anyone interested in boots should give it a go for sure. Some songs like Civil War do sound really bad IMO, but Rocket Queen and KOHD are great. I'm not saying that this is the one bootleg to end them all, just that I think that it's one of the relevant alternatives because it provides a bit of variety :)

Ritz 1988 is just San Diego 1988 with Axl singing worse, and a more limited setlist in my opinion. 

Frans has quite the ability to improve sound and image; I just dislike not hearing Izzy and his great riffs. The mono sound, and Izzy's tone doesn't separate well from Duff's bass bleed. Still though, it does have some of the essence of the '91 tour that is killer i suppose. Just wish we had more '91 footage, all the '91 footage seems flawed in some ways; whereas '92 has Chicago, Oklahoma, Paris, '93 has saskatoon and the two argentina shows. '91 is my favorite section of the UYI tour and I'd LOOOOOOOOOOOVe a high quality proshot.

4 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Frans has quite the ability to improve sound and image; I just dislike not hearing Izzy and his great riffs. The mono sound, and Izzy's tone doesn't separate well from Duff's bass bleed. Still though, it does have some of the essence of the '91 tour that is killer i suppose. Just wish we had more '91 footage, all the '91 footage seems flawed in some ways; whereas '92 has Chicago, Oklahoma, Paris, '93 has saskatoon and the two argentina shows. '91 is my favorite section of the UYI tour and I'd LOOOOOOOOOOOVe a high quality proshot.

If I had to pick a proshot out of all the shows they recorded, it would be one in July or August of 1991. Best period to me, it's so annoying that the complete proshot gigs lack in quality. But hey, at least there are some very respectable audience recordings. Sadly, I think 1991 be the least likely period for any proshot releases that might happen. I'd assume the band dislikes Izzy and Sorum more than they dislike Gilby and Adler. 

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

For people who have Osaka 2009 and Tokyo 2009, which is the better of the two - I think they are both IEM sources?

Is Osaka where he talks about Bob Dylan "picking up the vibes" before Knockin'?

I believe it was Tokyo that had the Destroyer release. I'd probably lean more towards that as I really liked the matrix they done of the sources available.

Just noticed I'd listed Osaka in my favourites. I haven't listened to either of them in years. Both worth getting though

Edited by Dean

39 minutes ago, Dean said:

Is Osaka where he talks about Bob Dylan "picking up the vibes" before Knockin'?

I believe it was Tokyo that had the Destroyer release. I'd probably lean more towards that as I really liked the matrix they done of the sources available.

Just noticed I'd listed Osaka in my favourites. I haven't listened to either of them in years. Both worth getting though

👍

18 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's why he sounds the way he does now, because he messed it up singing that way back then.

I was thinking that too. Neither wonder he has issues now when he was tearing through gigs like Indiana!

• Like 1

On 8 December 2019 at 10:49 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Best show period was Bridge School in 2012- I cant provide video proof because of the people who got unofficial links banned on the forum, so you’ll just have to take my word on it.

I know it's been much discussed, but having tortured myself with a watch of this show recently I still really can't fathom why on the name of suffering fuck Axl went ahead with this show.

He must have known beforehand, and during, that he totally was not going to be able to pull it off. 

It's almost like someone has threatened him into performing, like he had absolutely no choice but to make a complete twat of himself. 

Is there any reliable backstory, or any clue on why on earth Axl went ahead with this shambles? 

Because I don't think it was just complacency.. he must have known. 

Edited by Nice Boy

I can't believe no one has mentioned the June 13, 1991 Philadelphia AUD video? This is hands down the best performance from 1991 that I have ever seen.

A 3DVD set sourced from the master video has been floating around for 10 years.

On a related note, it put smiles on my face to see people recommend the Austin February 23, 1993 show.

Nearly 27 years later, that was hands-down the BEST concert I have ever seen by any band, EVER! :headbang:

And I have been to HUNDREDS of concerts since 1993...

Edited by rockphantom
  • Like 2