Europe 2020 Tour Announced

45 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

They'd be making a big thing about it, surely? New artwork, new website design, new fonts, new name for the tour, etc etc. 

It would make no business sense whatsoever to not really really stress something was changing, surely? 

I don't think they would. Why would they? Gnr always likes to keep things in the dark. 

50 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm not sure they would though, or if they'd care about that. 

Who would they be ridiculed by? Most people going to these shows want to drink an overpriced warm beer, buy some hideous food, dress up like they're living in 1988, and film 'SCOM' on their cameraphone. They're not going to say much, other than "BEST SHOW EVAAAH" on their Instagram account, before they fuck off to tick another box. 

It wouldn't go down well here and other forums, sure. But who gives us a damn about that, really? 

There’ll always be plenty of casuals but the band has a bigger following outside the forums. Plenty of big fans who don’t bother with forums. And even forums outside this such as reddit and people commenting on rock websites. 

A lot of people will be aware that this is marketed as a new show. 

Now perhaps Guns won’t really care anyways.  As long as the casuals attend and the bigger fans don’t kick off too much and the money is still coming in big.

42 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

There’ll always be plenty of casuals but the band has a bigger following outside the forums. Plenty of big fans who don’t bother with forums. And even forums outside this such as reddit and people commenting on rock websites. 

A lot of people will be aware that this is marketed as a new show. 

Now perhaps Guns won’t really care anyways.  As long as the casuals attend and the bigger fans don’t kick off too much and the money is still coming in big.

The last sentence sums it all up for me really. 

You can always claim "hey, it IS a new show, we've got different images, different visuals, different lights, what are you complaining about?" 

Do you HONESTLY think GNR still has that many 'big fans'? I genuinely don't. I found myself in Gold Circles surrounded by people who had no idea what Coma was and thought it might be a new song. I've said this before - GNR are the biggest band in the world to have so few fans, and the NITL ticket sales are a total anomaly, caused by hype and an industry-wide nostalgia surge generated by people who want a past they barely even remember themselves because they find the present too much hard work. 

That's why I come to these forums really - it's the only place you'll get to talk with people who actually care and are actually fans. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Have you ever been to a gnr show? Let me tell you: I've seen them all around the globe. Gnr has still a lot of die hard fans and those are pretty die hard. I don't think many bands these days have a core of die hards as guns do. 

Maybe 1% of them is on the forums.

Edited by Flake

56 minutes ago, Flake said:

Have you ever been to a gnr show? Let me tell you: I've seen them all around the globe. Gnr has still a lot of die hard fans and those are pretty die hard. I don't think many bands these days have a core of die hards as guns do. 

I don't think anyone is claiming that forum members make up the majority of a GNR audience. Or at least I hope no one is making that claim. 

However, I don't think there's enough "die hard" fans worldwide to continue to support tours without new material. The entire first run of NITL was supported by people excited to see Slash & Axl back together. 

Here in the US, they already had to downgrade the second run to arenas. I think it's bold of them to be doing stadiums again in Europe, so we'll have to see how that goes. 

7 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I think if that was happening there's no way they'd have missed the trick of advertising it as such. The more I think about it the more I think "all new show" is scratching about for a hook to hang the tour on, and will probably be 'justified' by a new stage set, lights and videos. 

New Lights! You've got me excited 

2 hours ago, Flake said:

Many thanks, through the years. 

I couldn't help but notice the absence of many of these 'die-hards' between 2001 and 2016! 

3 minutes ago, WildStar said:

New Lights! You've got me excited 

Hey, don't quote me on that! You might get the same lights! 

1 hour ago, SAU3R said:

So what is the start of the 'new chapter'? Miami, Mexico City or Lisbon? 

The adverts were with the European tour, it is anything goes beyond that. 

Are the South American dates a rearranged tour, and is the Miami date a cleverly scheduled date for promotional reason, that is up in the air.

2 hours ago, Flake said:

Ah, you'd be surprised. Every band has die hards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I don't think anyone is claiming that forum members make up the majority of a GNR audience. Or at least I hope no one is making that claim. 

However, I don't think there's enough "die hard" fans worldwide to continue to support tours without new material. The entire first run of NITL was supported by people excited to see Slash & Axl back together. 

Here in the US, they already had to downgrade the second run to arenas. I think it's bold of them to be doing stadiums again in Europe, so we'll have to see how that goes. 

Selling out Arenas is not a downgrade. Both Metallica and U2 followed stadium tours with arena tours. And Europe will sale just fine. This band can’t honestly have many tours left in the tank. See them every chance you get because when these bands (Metallica/U2/GNR) are gone there aren’t anymore Stadium rock bands being formed. The last great rocks bands came from the early 90’s and only Pearl Jam is left from that group. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Selling out Arenas is not a downgrade. Both Metallica and U2 followed stadium tours with arena tours. And Europe will sale just fine. This band can’t honestly have many tours left in the tank. See them every chance you get because when these bands (Metallica/U2/GNR) are gone there aren’t anymore Stadium rock bands being formed. The last great rocks bands came from the early 90’s and only Pearl Jam is left from that group. 

OK, so being able to sell out 50k seaters, then having to downgrade to 20k or less seaters because the market won't support the bigger shows is NOT a downgrade. Got it. 

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

OK, so being able to sell out 50k seaters, then having to downgrade to 20k or less seaters because the market won't support the bigger shows is NOT a downgrade. Got it. 

Dude, when they tour in the winter, they're not gonna play stadiums, since its pretty cold then. So they go to arenas. Every band does that.

2 hours ago, Flake said:

Dude, when they tour in the winter, they're not gonna play stadiums, since its pretty cold then. So they go to arenas. Every band does that.

Nah, there are plenty of indoor stadiums all throughout the US. Also, many of the arena shows weren't even sold out. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I said selling out arenas is not a downgrade. And it’s not. There many bands who would love to be able to fill arenas. 

14 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I said selling out arenas is not a downgrade. And it’s not. There many bands who would love to be able to fill arenas. 

What other bands want to do is beside the point. Arenas seat less than half of a stadium typically. That's a downgrade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23.12.2019 at 8:04 PM, RussTCB said:

What are you talking about? They did 2 stadium runs in the states. When they went for a third run (the second one in the same year and in the winter), they went into arenas. Perfectly normal. And the shows that have been reported, were sold out or at least close. Seriously, when you feel the need to argue against and deny the success of the band for which forum you are an admin, at least stick to to facts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

What are you talking about? They did 2 stadium runs in the states. When they went for a third run (the second one in the same year and in the winter), they went into arenas. Perfectly normal. And the shows that have been reported, were sold out or at least close. Seriously, when you feel the need to argue against and deny the success of the band for which forum you are an admin, at least stick to to facts.

Two stadium runs? Did I miss a second leg of the stadium tour where they played the same cities again? 

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Two stadium runs? Did I miss a second leg of the stadium tour where they played the same cities again? 

Yes two stadium runs but with different cities. That's very obvious. Just like they did in Europe. 

I don't get the need to belittle the band all the time.

Edited by Flake
  • Like 1