Europe 2020 Tour Announced

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Two stadium runs? Did I miss a second leg of the stadium tour where they played the same cities again? 

Does that matter? They played stadiums 2 years running. People went to the shows accordingly. They are also not playing the same cities in Europe (excemptions apply).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Flake said:

Yes two stadium runs but with different cities. That's very obvious. Just like they did in Europe. 

Haha, that's still one tour. Another "stadium run" would be if they were able to sustain hitting the same cities and stadiums again, but they were not, so they had to downgrade to arenas, which again, were not sold out. 

The point is: they can't sustain years of touring stadiums in the US with the same show and no new material, as evidenced by the fact that they've already had to downgrade to arenas once. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

What other bands want to do is beside the point. Arenas seat less than half of a stadium typically. That's a downgrade.

I disagree. All the bands I listed went from Stadium to arenas. It’s true the market will not support a rock band with two back to back stadium tours. With the Stones as an exception. It’s dismissive to characterize selling out arenas with little to no promotion as a downgrade. Having a stadium tour in the US market is huge accomplishment by any standard. How many bands in recording history play stadium shows in the US?

Edited by The Holographic Universe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I disagree. All the bands I listed went from Stadium to arenas. It’s true the market will not support a rock band with two back to back stadium tours. With the Stones as an exception. It’s dismissive to characterize selling out arenas with little to no promotion as a downgrade. Having a stadium tour in the US market is huge accomplishment by any standard. How many bands in recording history play stadium shows in the US?

Wait.... What? First of all, they didn't sell out all of the arenas. Second, what do you mean little to no promotion? The arena tour was promoted the same way the stadium tour was: billboards, TV ads, radio ads and internet ads..

The overall point I'm making is that GNR cannot sustain continued stadium tours without something new to offer fans. All the casuals and die hards have already seen what they wanted to, which was Axl & Slash on the same stage. 

• Like 1

I think this EU 2020 run will do ok its wrong  time year for lots of people who want tixs but its Xmas other things will be more important 

Its not like EU been soaked with shows 8 or 9 Stadiums in 2018 rest were festivals

They could easy do Arenas in EU thats what we want but Stadiums make more ££££££

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wait.... What? First of all, they didn't sell out all of the arenas. Second, what do you mean little to no promotion? The arena tour was promoted the same way the stadium tour was: billboards, TV ads, radio ads and internet ads..

The overall point I'm making is that GNR cannot sustain continued stadium tours without something new to offer fans. All the casuals and die hards have already seen what they wanted to, which was Axl & Slash on the same stage. 

Do you truly believe a new album will sustain a Stadium tour or continued touring? Metallica and U2 both were promoting new albums and I don’t believe many people attend those shows to hear new music unless you’re a huge fan of the band. I can’t see a new GNR album filling Stadiums. 

21 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don’t think anything new (members, music, etc) can bring back the fanfare that was there for the reunion. 

1 minute ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Do you truly believe a new album will sustain a Stadium tour or continued touring? Metallica and U2 both were promoting new albums and I don’t believe many people attend those shows to hear new music unless you’re a huge fan of the band. I can’t see a new GNR album filling Stadiums. 

I'm not saying a new album alone would fill stadiums, but I'm saying I'm certain they can't keep filling them without one. Not sure if what I'm trying to say makes sense lol 

19 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

18 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

There's truly no way to know how a new album would effect GNRs viability in the ticket selling market. I mean, it can only help matters, right?

Whilst it's an undeniable fact that a large percentage of concert goers are casual fans who probably don't own anything besides the Greatest Hits, I think it's a misnomer to act like the only people who care about new music from this band are the few thousand fans who frequent the forums. Not everybody is a forum person.

Add to that, some casual music fans are way more interested in new music than live shows. I'm one of those people. I rarely go to concerts and haven't seen any of the reunion shows, but if GNR put out a new record and toured in support of it, I'd be there with bells on. I think there exists a certain demographic of music fans who probably wouldn't even consider going to see Guns unless they were inspired to do so by a new record. Not everybody who bought Chinese Democracy was a hardcore GNR fanatic. I post on several different bands/artists forums and have seen CD praised numerous times by people who aren't hardcore GNR fans.

I think a new album with Slash would reignite a lot of people's interest in GNR. 

Edited by Towelie

12 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I’d love to see a GNR/Metallica tour again. That would be awesome. 

That's the other thing that GNR could do to sustain future stadium tours in the US: package tours. 

I got to see the first Metallica / GNR tour, but I would go again if they did another one. If nothing else, it'd be sweet to see them do the whole tour without all the drama and incidents of the first go round. 

No band on earth can sustain stadiums every year at these prices.  Bands like U2/Stones/ ACDC/ Metallica take long breaks between tours and come back with a totally new one.  Either a new gimmick, new album or just giving it some time.  Not just one never ending tour.  

A band like Metallica also engage with their fans by putting out new music, having an active youtube channel with loads of great pro shot footage that get millions of views that keeps people interested.  Then their fan club has lots of other stuff going on, the whole being on stage, snake pit etc in recent years  You could argue they are bigger now than anytime since the early 90's.  Their Worldwired tour came through my city twice, both shows were entirely different.  Venue, production and setlist all completely different. Then you have PJ having the Ten club really looking after their most dedicated fans.  We have Nightrain.

If they want to get back to reunion hype they will need a new gimmick or announce a farewell.  Appetite 5, or Appetite in full (which we almost get anyway but it's a gimmick that will sell to casuals) or the goodbye (whether legit or not) would all sell great.  One never ending tour isn't really a selling point after a while but the size of the brand and the songs will always keep steady numbers coming in and I'm sure they're still making plenty of money. 

Obviously the tour has been successful otherwise it wouldn't be carrying on in big venues but even first run... let's not kid ourselves they were reaching a little in stadiums in many places.  

29 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That's the other thing that GNR could do to sustain future stadium tours in the US: package tours. 

I got to see the first Metallica / GNR tour, but I would go again if they did another one. If nothing else, it'd be sweet to see them do the whole tour without all the drama and incidents of the first go round. 

I agree. It would be super cool now that GNR are a functional touring band. The only thing is I can’t imagine what a ticket to such a show would cost. GNRs ticket prices are borderline insane. Metallica is much more fan friendly with ticket prices. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

If we use Metallica as an example, they were playing stadiums after releasing a new album and bringing 2 (relatively) popular opening bands on the road.

The hype of a new GNR album would definitely help them sell tickets, but the easier (and therefore more likely) option would be a package tour, or a co-headlining tour, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

If we use Metallica as an example, they were playing stadiums after releasing a new album and bringing 2 (relatively) popular opening bands on the road.

The hype of a new GNR album would definitely help them sell tickets, but the easier (and therefore more likely) option would be a package tour, or a co-headlining tour, unfortunately.

There really is no other band other than Metallica that GNR could co-headline.

2 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

There really is no other band other than Metallica that GNR could co-headline.

Yea Metallica and Pearl Jam are the first bands that come to mind... it also wouldn't surprise me if they did a 'Crüe Fest' type of thing eventually, with some bands like Alice In Chains, A7X, Aerosmith, the Black Keys, etc.

19 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I agree. It would be super cool now that GNR are a functional touring band. The only thing is I can’t imagine what a ticket to such a show would cost. GNRs ticket prices are borderline insane. Metallica is much more fan friendly with ticket prices. 

Yes. And then we could buy a black ticket and wouldn't need to worry about ticket prices anymore. That's the most fan friendly thing any band has ever done. 

A package tour would be a good idea, I mean some of the supports have been ridiculous.  Fuck knows what Tyler Bryant has on somebody in the music business but he got to go out with AC/DC as well and the bloke has as many listens on Spotify as bands who literally play pubs.  Then the Kills when I went to London was just utterly bizarre.  

I get the financial reasons why they don't want to spunk loads of money on support acts but announcing a package from the outset clearly has some value.  That Crue reunion tour has sold amazingly well, some bloke from Def Leppard did an interview and basically said it was completely unexpected by everybody to sell like that

Edited by northernsoul

12 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yes. And then we could buy a black ticket and wouldn't need to worry about ticket prices anymore. That's the most fan friendly thing any band has ever done. 

Metallica was cheaper but it was hardly cheap, I paid £95 for a top seat in the UK and around £110 i think for a decent seat for the stadium leg. The stadium production also blew Guns out of the water.  Axl actually put together some half decent stage shows for 5k attendances in arenas for Nu GNR yet in the stadiums we didn't really get the production we deserved IMO.  Bands are doing amazing things these days with the production and Guns are miles behind in this and I think certainly for younger concert goers it is expected now.

Edited by northernsoul

16 minutes ago, northernsoul said:

Metallica was cheaper but it was hardly cheap, I paid £95 for a top seat in the UK and around £110 i think for a decent seat for the stadium leg. The stadium production also blew Guns out of the water.  Axl actually put together some half decent stage shows for 5k attendances in arenas for Nu GNR yet in the stadiums we didn't really get the production we deserved IMO.  Bands are doing amazing things these days with the production and Guns are miles behind in this and I think certainly for younger concert goers it is expected now.

Yes. But for 600 $/€ you can attend as many shows as you like. Front of stage and early entry included.

Not sure though how the Nu-Guns stage show could be considered better. Don't really see that.

Edited by PatrickS77

1 hour ago, northernsoul said:

The production for this tour is definitely underwhelming. I just believe GNR are just about the music.