Jump to content
Healy52003

Europe 2020 Tour Announced

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, LovelessNL said:

Pinkpop will be announcing their last headliner tomorrow, so that makes GnR more likely. Would assume Rock Werchter then as well, with a few stadium (/arena?) dates to fill it up. Something like 2018, although I'd expect a shorter run this time around. You can keep doing 20 dates in 55k+ venues if it's your 3rd summer in Europe in 4 years

That's actually sounding likely now....but I'm still astonished they'd be doing stadiums again. As you say, 3rd summer in Europe out of 4, playing the same set, and you're trying to do them again? It seems mad to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That's actually sounding likely now....but I'm still astonished they'd be doing stadiums again. As you say, 3rd summer in Europe out of 4, playing the same set, and you're trying to do them again? It seems mad to me. 

Yeah... don't really see the demand to be honest. This reunion is something I would have given my left nut for 5 years ago, but I'm not even going if they are playing Pinkpop in my country (hate the festival as well) and it's the same shit all over. I would have contemplated going to an arena gig, even without new music. But I'm not shelling out another 130€+ for a Golden Circle ticket to the same show I've seen a few times already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That's actually sounding likely now....but I'm still astonished they'd be doing stadiums again. As you say, 3rd summer in Europe out of 4, playing the same set, and you're trying to do them again? It seems mad to me. 

A few Stadiums in EU is nothing London Germany Spain France Gothenburg just 1 in each the last few shows in 2018 sold well Oslo Gothenburg & Iceland just look at Elton John hes going in too 2021 now so is being said i know its Arenas but hes still going & going

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LovelessNL said:

Yeah... don't really see the demand to be honest. This reunion is something I would have given my left nut for 5 years ago, but I'm not even going if they are playing Pinkpop in my country (hate the festival as well) and it's the same shit all over. I would have contemplated going to an arena gig, even without new music. But I'm not shelling out another 130€+ for a Golden Circle ticket to the same show I've seen a few times already.

I'm the same. I probably won't go to London, for the same reasons. And if people like us aren't too interested, who else is going to be?! 

I know this tour has attracted mainly 'casuals', but the very nature of casuals is that they see something then move on! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

A few Stadiums in EU is nothing London Germany Spain France Gothenburg just 1 in each the last few shows in 2018 sold well Oslo Gothenburg & Iceland just look at Elton John hes going in too 2021 now so is being said i know its Arenas but hes still going & going

Elton John is doing Arenas and he's only selling them on the back of it being his 'farewell' tour. He was struggling before that. 

I'm not sure 2018 did really sell that well - there's a lack of information available, which usually suggests they don't want to publicize. Anecdotally I heard of/saw a lot of empty seats, but it's hard to know https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_in_This_Lifetime..._Tour 

Booking agents will know more than me though of course, and they won't be booking venues they think aren't viable (unless they're being, as I see it, naive about the temporary spike in sales caused by the 'reunion').  I suppose one stadium per country could work, but I still think it's a stretch. I'm sure Ticketmaster will pull all their old tricks though to make people think things are selling out and drive them to their 'platinum' tickets! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm the same. I probably won't go to London, for the same reasons. And if people like us aren't too interested, who else is going to be?! 

I know this tour has attracted mainly 'casuals', but the very nature of casuals is that they see something then move on! 

Yeah totally agree, can't see the casuals shelling out that kind of cash to watch something again. I mean, it probably attracts some folks who want to see them at a festival, if you pay 90 bucks for a day ticket or something and there's some nice other acts on that day. But the standalone dates, really curious to see how well those sell. They sold out the Goffertpark in 2017 here, 65k tix. Played same venue a year later, think it was around 40-45k tix sold. 

 

11 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

A few Stadiums in EU is nothing London Germany Spain France Gothenburg just 1 in each the last few shows in 2018 sold well Oslo Gothenburg & Iceland just look at Elton John hes going in too 2021 now so is being said i know its Arenas but hes still going & going

Yeah but he's doing a farewall tour, and from the looks of it the 2nd euro leg has a heavy focus on the UK. He's in his 3rd US leg though, curious to see if he can still sell that out. From a quick glance at Wikipedia he has sold EVERY SINGLE TICKET on the first two US legs, that's obviously an achievement even GnR couldn't achieve with the first two NITL legs. Sure, if you count warm up and Vegas and as the first leg they managed to sell out those dates, but on the following US leg (starting June 2016) there were 10 dates not sold out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LovelessNL said:

Yeah totally agree, can't see the casuals shelling out that kind of cash to watch something again. I mean, it probably attracts some folks who want to see them at a festival, if you pay 90 bucks for a day ticket or something and there's some nice other acts on that day. But the standalone dates, really curious to see how well those sell. They sold out the Goffertpark in 2017 here, 65k tix. Played same venue a year later, think it was around 40-45k tix sold. 

 

There's basically three things that I think would shift tickets: 

Smaller venues

Cheapish tickets

A focus on new material 

The last one would probably have to combine with one of the others I think, to create a flow of interest from fans like us, alongside a bit of casual interest. 

I feel that stadiums+high prices+same setlist is a combination that's pretty toxic in terms of getting people to shell out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sure after 2 years away from EU Stadiums will sell just in the key citys see what 2mo brings & the only 2 London shows did very well im sure 1 more will as well after all UK has only had 2 Stadium shows in nearly 4 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

There's basically three things that I think would shift tickets: 

Smaller venues

Cheapish tickets

A focus on new material 

The last one would probably have to combine with one of the others I think, to create a flow of interest from fans like us, alongside a bit of casual interest. 

I feel that stadiums+high prices+same setlist is a combination that's pretty toxic in terms of getting people to shell out. 

Yeah, and it alienates the fans. I dont mind spending money on a band, I regularly pay 90-130€+ for bands like Rammstein, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Volbeat (ok they are still a bit cheaper) AC/DC if they do a show here. Thing is, all those bands have been releasing new music, or have at least an idea behind touring (Maiden for example alternates 'new music tours' with 'hits/history tours'). GnR gives us jack shit and continues with a tour that was finished 3 times already as soon as someone waves a bit of cash in front of them. Nobody in the band or their entourage seems to think 'Hmm, what would the fans like'. Sure; #1 answer would be new music, but if that's not an option or not happening yet, there's so many things you could do to keep the fans happy and interested, but they just dont care. And I mean, I understand basic economics, I can get they dont care if they still sell out across the board, because apparently people are still hot for it, but I'd expect this tour to be a turnaround on the European front. They will have played a bunch of major festivals after this, they hit a lot of 'main markets' three times, there's not gonna be a lot of interest in them or promotors willing to pay millions for a single show unless there's new music or the tour is 'something special' (small venues or whatever).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really, really, can't belive how many times a day pple write the words 'new music' and how many times a day they are devestated there is no news of such.

Face it once and for all - there is no new music in forseeable future! When there is work done, there is usually some sort of build up.  There is not a vague sign they are doing something other than rehearsing new covers here and there.  This is solely a touring band that stands there to keep the cash flowing in.

will there be new music?  possibly.  when?  god knows.

fact is, this line up can't produce anything UYI worthy, for there would be something here by now and they obviously don't want to record another epic failure just for the sake of touring when they can do that anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LovelessNL said:

Pinkpop will be announcing their last headliner tomorrow, so that makes GnR more likely. Would assume Rock Werchter then as well, with a few stadium (/arena?) dates to fill it up. Something like 2018, although I'd expect a shorter run this time around. You can't keep doing 20 dates in 55k+ venues if it's your 3rd summer in Europe in 4 years

Where was it mentioned that the announcement will be made tomorrow? Can’t wait to see them again, regardless whether there is new music...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

I really, really, can't belive how many times a day pple write the words 'new music' and how many times a day they are devestated there is no news of such.

Face it once and for all - there is no new music in forseeable future! When there is work done, there is usually some sort of build up.  There is not a vague sign they are doing something other than rehearsing new covers here and there.  This is solely a touring band that stands there to keep the cash flowing in.

will there be new music?  possibly.  when?  god knows.

fact is, this line up can't produce anything UYI worthy, for there would be something here by now and they obviously don't want to record another epic failure just for the sake of touring when they can do that anyway.

Isn't it pretty normal for fans of a band to want new music? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Isn't it pretty normal for fans of a band to want new music? 

Isnt it pretty normal for a band to release new music? I personally think this line up has the potential to deliver a good album, not Appetite quality, but atleast close to the Illusions, and like you said its especially normal for GNR fans to want new music it's been 11 years since CD, 28 since a album of original material with Slash n Duff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zqyx123 said:

Some people talking about show in Warsaw (Poland) too. Nothing confirmed.

What people and where?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps instead of playing in larger stadiums that may not sell out this time like the Olympic stadium they could announce dates in smaller stadiums like the Liberty stadium or Anfield. bigger capacity than arenas but not too ambitious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A show in the North will sell well Manchester or Liverpool & Glasgow or Edinburgh i bet there is loads of people who could not get all the way down too London from way up North.

Also Dublin Croke or RDS  will sell  they only had 1 show whole tour.

38 shows in EU in nearly 4 years aint much 

Edited by Gavin82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flake said:

I don't think they play concerts at anfield.

They do again now. I know Bon Jovi played there this summer as well as a few others

 

55 minutes ago, Gavin82 said:

A show in the North will sell well Manchester or Liverpool & Glasgow or Edinburgh i bet there is loads of people who could not get all the way down too London from way up North.

Also Dublin Croke or RDS  will sell  they only had 1 show whole tour.

38 shows in EU in nearly 4 years aint much 

Yeah I think a couple in the north of England and Scotland would sell fine and also Wales, don't think they've ever played in Wales though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×