Europe 2020 Tour Announced

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Understand that to all intents and purposes they haven't even toured the United Kingdom yet, one of their biggest markets; two shows in London and a festival that was barely north of the Watford Gap is a tiny itinerary, barely covering the geographic spread of the country. 

If they're going to tour the UK though, they'd have to play smaller venues and charge less. The two shows in London were filled with people who were prepared to travel as it was regarded as 'an event'. I don't think many people who wanted to see GNR in the UK haven't seen them by this point. A 'tour' would have to be aimed at those not arsed enough to travel when they thought it might be 'the only opportunity' (i.e. people who really aren't too bothered to begin with), and the ticket prices would have to reflect that 'oh, they're in my city so I might pop along and have a look' mentality. I'm not convinced that GNR would be willing to accept a lower pay-day these days, looking at the sky-high ticket prices of the latest American shows.....

Can you imagine an Arena crowd in, say, Newcastle stumping up £100- £1300 for a ticket to see a band they're mildly curious about? Having said all that, I've absolutely no idea what sort of person keeps buying tickets for the American shows, given the prices and the fact it's the same show.....

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

If they're going to tour the UK though, they'd have to play smaller venues and charge less. The two shows in London were filled with people who were prepared to travel as it was regarded as 'an event'. I don't think many people who wanted to see GNR in the UK haven't seen them by this point. A 'tour' would have to be aimed at those not arsed enough to travel when they thought it might be 'the only opportunity' (i.e. people who really aren't too bothered to begin with), and the ticket prices would have to reflect that 'oh, they're in my city so I might pop along and have a look' mentality. I'm not convinced that GNR would be willing to accept a lower pay-day these days, looking at the sky-high ticket prices of the latest American shows.....

Can you imagine an Arena crowd in, say, Newcastle stumping up £100- £1300 for a ticket to see a band they're mildly curious about? Having said all that, I've absolutely no idea what sort of person keeps buying tickets for the American shows, given the prices and the fact it's the same show.....

I don't agree in the slightest. Yes, tickets are lower than the United States but similar - even higher - than areas of (continental) Europe, which has been played extensively. Also, there is usually at least one northern date, usually Manchester but sometimes Glasgow. Looking at bands and tours of similar stature, AC/DC played Glasgow on their last tour. The Stones played both Manchester and Edinburgh. Metallica played Manchester, Glasgow and Birmingham on their WorldWired Tour. Guns N' Roses themselves, on the Illusion tour, played both Gateshead (Newcastle) and Manchester in 1992! Guns N' Roses omission of northern Britain on the NITL tour is completely inexplicable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't agree in the slightest. Yes, tickets are lower than the United States but similar - even higher - than areas of (continental) Europe, which has been played extensively. Also, there is usually at least one northern date, usually Manchester but sometimes Glasgow. Looking at bands and tours of similar stature, AC/DC played Glasgow on their last tour. The Stones played both Manchester and Edinburgh. Metallica played Manchester, Glasgow and Birmingham on their WorldWired Tour. Guns N' Roses themselves, on the Illusion tour, played both Gateshead (Newcastle) and Manchester in 1992! Guns N' Roses omission of northern Britain on the NITL tour is completely inexplicable. 

You're comparing bands there though who have cultivated loyal and dedicated fanbases over the years. GNR have done everything possible to erode theirs. I really don't believe they have many fans at all these days that you'd call anything other than 'casual', and those people have ticked their 'GNR' box for now. Their money will be difficult to take again. 

I agree that it is weird they haven't been to the north, but the moment for that has passed I think, in terms of it being big shows. Something would have to give- either in terms of venue size or ticket price. Arenas, at reasonable prices- sure. That would flush out some curious casuals that didn't travel to London. But will they be prepared to play smaller shows for less money? America tells us that any show in a smaller venue is compensated for by sky-high prices. 

I think we're also probably not considering another money aspect here - GNR will have been paid extra to NOT do other shows in the UK. Ensuring Download was the only show in 2018 will have cost the festival. I'd wager that the London stadium payout was probably equally lucrative in order to secure them not playing elsewhere. It all boils down to money, sadly. 

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

You're comparing bands there though who have cultivated loyal and dedicated fanbases over the years. GNR have done everything possible to erode theirs. I really don't believe they have many fans at all these days that you'd call anything other than 'casual', and those people have ticked their 'GNR' box for now. Their money will be difficult to take again. 

I agree that it is weird they haven't been to the north, but the moment for that has passed I think, in terms of it being big shows. Something would have to give- either in terms of venue size or ticket price. Arenas, at reasonable prices- sure. That would flush out some curious casuals that didn't travel to London. But will they be prepared to play smaller shows for less money? America tells us that any show in a smaller venue is compensated for by sky-high prices. 

I think we're also probably not considering another money aspect here - GNR will have been paid extra to NOT do other shows in the UK. Ensuring Download was the only show in 2018 will have cost the festival. I'd wager that the London stadium payout was probably equally lucrative in order to secure them not playing elsewhere. It all boils down to money, sadly. 

They could have just played Manchester like every other band.

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

They could have just played Manchester like every other band.

Oh I agree, but 'like every other band' - there's the rub! We're probably trying to impose rationality on the irrational here! 

I do think though that there might well have been extra cash in the London Stadium show for them by making it the only UK ones.  I also think they wouldn't have been able to do two nights there if there were other UK shows on the run, from a demand point of view. 

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

To put this in perspective it would be quicker and cheaper for me to fly from Newcastle to somewhere like Prague or Northern Germany than it would be getting the train to London (3 hours plus) and seeing them in London Stadium.

I think that says more about the abysmal state of our public transport prices and infrastructure than anything else though! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I think that says more about the abysmal state of our public transport prices and infrastructure than anything else though! 

That is a fair point. I wasn't even factoring in train delays when I said ''3 hours plus'' which are basically obligatory!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mysteron said:

I'd rather they come to Edinburgh, Dundee or Aberdeen for a change. And if northern England, somewhere other than Manchester. 

Hampden is garbage as a venue (for footy AND concerts...) and reckon Hydro is too small. Murrayfield isn’t perfect but a better option.

5 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Hampden is garbage as a venue (for footy AND concerts...) and reckon Hydro is too small. Murrayfield isn’t perfect but a better option.

I just don't like driving or parking in Glasgow, and like you said, the venues aren't great. The other cities are better. For the SECC, we always park at the BBC now then walk across the bridge. Better than the multi storey, get away quicker at the end. 

Someone posted this on e-festival forum:

I work for Ticketmaster (LN) and we got an email today about an announcement coming this week for a huge Guns’N’Roses show in the summer at Tottenham Hotspurs Stadium...any chance they could be at Mad Cool being a Live Nation band? Or are we thinking they’re far too expensive? 

• Like 1