Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Dazey

I think it looks great. Also keep in mind that Bill, Dan, Ernie, Sigorney and Annie are all CONFIRMED. No word yet on Rick Moranis. 

Will it be better than the original? No. Better than GB2? Hopefully. Better than the crappy 2016 film? Absolutely. It also sets the stage for future films (by having a younger cast). The biggest thing... it's a SEQUEL not a remake. It exists in the same world as GB1 and GB2 (which that's all us long time Ghostbusters fans wanted). That's why we HATED the 2016 film SO MUCH. 

Would I have preferred a proper GB3 in 1998 (or sometime around then)? Yes. But it just wasnt meant to be. But now I can take my 4 year old son (who LOVES Ghostbusters) to see a new film (which will introduce new characters for him to latch on to). So that makes me happy. We will go and watch this film as father and son (but both be like little kids). 

20 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'll mark myself down as "cautiously optimistic". The tone seems way off from what I would expect from the franchise. 

It’s funny that you say that because I got the exact opposite take from it. I think they’ve pitched the tone pretty much perfectly.

I was a little apprehensive when I heard that the main characters were going to be kids but I’m getting a bit of a Goonies vibe here which can never be a bad thing. 

I really hope they get this right. The original was the first film I ever watched in a cinema all the way back in 1984 and I can still quote it line for line. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

13 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'll mark myself down as "cautiously optimistic". The tone seems way off from what I would expect from the franchise. 

Supposably it's going to be quite scary. Honestly, the comedy is what might be "missing." But given the slapstick nature of the 2016 film, a more serious tone is appropriate imo. 

If anyone is curious, I have heard potential leaks from this film. Which given what the trailer has shown, I can confirm as about 90% accurate. I dont know the entire film, but I DO know the basic plot (if anyone is curious?) 

The scene in GB1 where the Ghostbusters are in jail and are talking about Ivo Shandor and the building plays a HUGE role in this film. That's all I'm going to say unless people want to hear more.

4 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

If anyone is curious, I have heard potential leaks from this film. Which given what the trailer has shown, I can confirm as about 90% accurate. I dont know the entire film, but I DO know the basic plot (if anyone is curious?) 

The scene in GB1 where the Ghostbusters are in jail and are talking about Ivo Shandor and the building plays a HUGE role in this film. That's all I'm going to say unless people want to hear more.

I’d be interested. Just use spoiler tags. :) 

Weren’t the surviving members of the original Ghostbusters cast meant to play a role in this film? I’d have thought they’d have been in the trailer, unless they’re just cameos or such.

Other than that, not particularly outstanding from what we’ve seen but a million times better than the 2016 Ghostbusters. 

The only adult featured much is eternal man-child Paul Rudd. Among a cast of kido's, and given the traditional characters are adults, its like 'ok boomer' come to life. :lol: Will it bother Gen X that they are using retro gear? :P

Cinematography looks beautiful.

Just now, soon said:

The only adult featured much is eternal man-child Paul Rudd. Among a cast of kido's, and given the traditional characters are adults, its like 'ok boomer' come to life. :lol: Will it bother Gen X that they are using retro gear? :P

Cinematography looks beautiful.

Do I count as Gen X? :lol: 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Weren’t the surviving members of the original Ghostbusters cast meant to play a role in this film? I’d have thought they’d have been in the trailer, unless they’re just cameos or such.

Other than that, not particularly outstanding from what we’ve seen but a million times better than the 2016 Ghostbusters. 

Yes Bill, Dan, Ernie, Sigorney and Annie are ALL in this film. No word yet on Rick Moranis. From what I've heard, they have more than just cameos (the 3 Ghostbusters anyways, I'm not sure about Sigorney and Annie). Are they the stars? No, that's why they are not in the trailer. But will we see the 3 OG's suit up in this film??? Yes. But we probably wont see any footage of that until right before the film comes out. This is just the first trailer after all.

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, soon said:

Yeah, I was thinking you'd prefer them to use the streamlined and cordless digital version? And just like, store the ghosts in 'the cloud' or whatever :lol:

At least an unlicensed nuclear accelerator shouldn’t need charging every fucking five minutes. :lol: 

• Haha 1

Ok here is what I know seems pretty dead on from what the trailer has shown.

Spoiler

Ivo Shandor (the guy that made the building in the first movie), was the leader of this Gozer cult. You can just watch the first movie to hear about him, anyways... The building was made with unique metals, compounds, etc. Hence the scene "so what they don't make em' like they used to?" "No. Nobody EVER made them like this" etc. Well this town in Oklahoma is where the mine was that Shandor got the materials used to make the building in New York. You can even see in the trailer, when the girl and the boy are walking to the mine, it says "Shandor Mining Company" on the sign above them. So basically Gozer is coming back, possibly ZUUL, Vinz Clortho and all of that. Some members of the "Gozer Cult" might still be in the town, maybe they are whats causing all the new stuff, IDK? But we WILL hear more about the cult, etc. 

After the events of GB2, Egon was trying to figure more info out about he cult and what Shandor was up to. Thats why he bought this farm, he was researching Shandor. Well him and Ray supposedly. Well something bad happens (some kind of accident) and Egon gets killed. Ray kinda takes the blame for Egon's death, even Peter and Winston blame him for Egon's death. Ray isn't even technically a "Ghostbuster" anymore. So the 3 Ghostbusters are not even friends anymore. Whatever is left of the Ghostbusters business (which doesnt sound like much). Anyways... Winston and Jeanine are essentially in charge of the business now. Peter became a successful late night TV host, but he still owns his stake in Ghostbusters. Ray is most likely still in Oklahoma working on the Shandor stuff quietly, he will most likely be the first OG the kids meet. The "accident" that happened has something to do with the containment unit. Egon had a new idea for an improved containment unit, but something goes wrong, which must have been Ray's fault (this was probably sometime in the 90's). Jeanine and Winston become aware of these strange earthquakes in the town where Egon and Ray were working. They inform Peter and Dana (and thats what brings the OG's to the town). So my guess is we WILL see the Firehouse, in the Jeanine and Winston scenes. 

The director has stated that the theme of the film is "Forgiveness." The mother has to forgive Egon for being an absent father, the OG's have to forgive Ray for Egon's death, and us fans have to forgive Sony for the atrocity of the 2016 film (I threw that last part in, lol.) The family has to move to this farm because thats all they can afford (which it was the mothers inheritance). I'm not sure how close the Mother was with her father, Egon. But probably not very close at all. 

The ending WILL have the kids, Paul Rudd and the 3 OG's teaming up to stop Gozer again (I'm assuming its Gozer, but we did see a terror dog in the trailer). Probably NOT the same form as last time though. So new Destroyer and all of that. The containment unit idea Egon was working on will come into play. So basically, just like in the original film, Egon's idea is what will save the day. 

Overall I would say the original cast DOES have fairly decent sized roles, bigger than just cameos. No, they are not the stars, but seeing them all suit up again will be fun. I would guess around 80-90% of what I've said here is probably accurate based on the trailer. But take it all with a grain of salt.     

Okay, so are Bill Murray and Dan A coming back. Bernie Casey too. Otherwise, I'm not interested in the next generation of teens taking over. Sorry but I want the original Ghost members coming back.  Sigourney Weaver too and Rick M. Even Annie Potts.

That one kid is also in "The Turning" movie that's another horror movie.

8 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Okay, so are Bill Murray and Dan A coming back. Bernie Casey too. Otherwise, I'm not interested in the next generation of teens taking over. Sorry but I want the original Ghost members coming back.  Sigourney Weaver too and Rick M. Even Annie Potts.

That one kid is also in "The Turning" movie that's another horror movie.

They didnt show them in the first trailer no, but they ARE coming back. Especially Bernie Casey, he should get TOP billing.....:lol:

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Ok here is what I know seems pretty dead on from what the trailer has shown.

Reveal hidden contents

Ivo Shandor (the guy that made the building in the first movie), was the leader of this Gozer cult. You can just watch the first movie to hear about him, anyways... The building was made with unique metals, compounds, etc. Hence the scene "so what they don't make em' like they used to?" "No. Nobody EVER made them like this" etc. Well this town in Oklahoma is where the mine was that Shandor got the materials used to make the building in New York. You can even see in the trailer, when the girl and the boy are walking to the mine, it says "Shandor Mining Company" on the sign above them. So basically Gozer is coming back, possibly ZUUL, Vinz Clortho and all of that. Some members of the "Gozer Cult" might still be in the town, maybe they are whats causing all the new stuff, IDK? But we WILL hear more about the cult, etc. 

After the events of GB2, Egon was trying to figure more info out about he cult and what Shandor was up to. Thats why he bought this farm, he was researching Shandor. Well him and Ray supposedly. Well something bad happens (some kind of accident) and Egon gets killed. Ray kinda takes the blame for Egon's death, even Peter and Winston blame him for Egon's death. Ray isn't even technically a "Ghostbuster" anymore. So the 3 Ghostbusters are not even friends anymore. Whatever is left of the Ghostbusters business (which doesnt sound like much). Anyways... Winston and Jeanine are essentially in charge of the business now. Peter became a successful late night TV host, but he still owns his stake in Ghostbusters. Ray is most likely still in Oklahoma working on the Shandor stuff quietly, he will most likely be the first OG the kids meet. The "accident" that happened has something to do with the containment unit. Egon had a new idea for an improved containment unit, but something goes wrong, which must have been Ray's fault (this was probably sometime in the 90's). Jeanine and Winston become aware of these strange earthquakes in the town where Egon and Ray were working. They inform Peter and Dana (and thats what brings the OG's to the town). So my guess is we WILL see the Firehouse, in the Jeanine and Winston scenes. 

The director has stated that the theme of the film is "Forgiveness." The mother has to forgive Egon for being an absent father, the OG's have to forgive Ray for Egon's death, and us fans have to forgive Sony for the atrocity of the 2016 film (I threw that last part in, lol.) The family has to move to this farm because thats all they can afford (which it was the mothers inheritance). I'm not sure how close the Mother was with her father, Egon. But probably not very close at all. 

The ending WILL have the kids, Paul Rudd and the 3 OG's teaming up to stop Gozer again (I'm assuming its Gozer, but we did see a terror dog in the trailer). Probably NOT the same form as last time though. So new Destroyer and all of that. The containment unit idea Egon was working on will come into play. So basically, just like in the original film, Egon's idea is what will save the day. 

Overall I would say the original cast DOES have fairly decent sized roles, bigger than just cameos. No, they are not the stars, but seeing them all suit up again will be fun. I would guess around 80-90% of what I've said here is probably accurate based on the trailer. But take it all with a grain of salt.     

The only thing that doesn’t quite ring true is that from the trailer you get the impression that there are no Ghostbusters any more. Like the kids don’t recognise what the trap is and all. Paul Rudd says there hasn’t been a ghost sighting in 30 years so I’m not sure how that ties in with some of the original crew still being active. 

Edited by Dazey

32 minutes ago, Dazey said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The only thing that doesn’t quite ring true is that from the trailer you get the impression that there are no Ghostbusters any more. Like the kids don’t recognise what the trap is and all. Paul Rudd says there hasn’t been a ghost sighting in 30 years so I’m not sure how that ties in with some of the original crew still being active. 

I agree. So the parts concerning what the OG Ghostbusters are up to might not 100% accurate. But I do think the majority of it is accurate, because that would explain why they would all come to this town all these years later. 

I'm trying to answer without giving anything away, because you can only do the spoilers on PC and I'm on my phone now, lol.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ