My Tommy Stinson living room concert/meet and greet experience

I would think that yes, he was speaking about Going Down, which Tommy wrote and sang lead on. The recently leaked version has got to be one of my favourite songs these days.

Rocks stars playing in living rooms these days. Bonkers. Sounds like the experience could have been better, but thats cool that you got to meet him like that!! :headbang: 

1 minute ago, soon said:

I would think that yes, he was speaking about Going Down, which Tommy wrote and sang lead on. The recently leaked version has got to be one of my favourite songs these days.

Rocks stars playing in living rooms these days. Bonkers. Sounds like the experience could have been better, but thats cool that you got to meet him like that!! :headbang: 

It was cool to stand in a kitchen with someone you have seen play in arenas and on MTV lol. It wasn't a totally bad experience. I wanted to ask about working with Buckethead and the leaks, but didnt want to go full GNR fanboy on him.  I do love his solo stuff out of all the GNR solo stuff. Worth it to see the concert in the living room, 70 or 80 bucks for the meet and greet, not so sure. But such is life. He did answer my questions lol

4 minutes ago, Sausagebrain said:

I can see how he would clash with RTB over methods. Tommy's roots are in punk and a one or two take recording philosophy, and Roy 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Baker is the ultimate overdub and rerecord merchant. 

I guess their personalities rubbed each other up the wrong way too. 

He said he "was just really an engineer on those records"  I'm assuming he meant the Queen records, but didnt ask him to elaborate 

The OP’s description of this event only further confirms how much of a bunch of fuckups the record label really all are. Hopefully things don’t end up this way with the NITL lineup now too.

so is Going Down just forever stuck in limbo now? Tommy can’t have it due to some weird record company clause, I’m assuming, and it doesn’t make sense for the NITL version of the band to use it now. Damn... thank fuck multiple versions of it have leaked now, at least!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lame ass security said:

That is really cool and weird.😄 I've actually had dreams where bands I like were playing strange places.  I remember one where Guns was playing at the church I went to when I was a kid.

And them played "Back off bitch" ❓ :D

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

He did a show like that in detroit. I had a wedding or I would have gone

I almost went to that one, waited a few days and it sold out.  I'd like to see him at a tavern or small club again. I went to see him open for the Lemonheads a few months ago but his set seemed it was like only 15 or 20 minutes 

Sounds like the gig was a lot of fun, I'd love to go to something like that over here :headbang:

I saw a headline today that NPR rated The Replacements reissue of Don't Tell A Soul/Dead Mans Pop one of the best reissues of the year, I'm definitely gonna have to pick a copy up as I haven't heard it yet :)

7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

The OP’s description of this event only further confirms how much of a bunch of fuckups the record label really all are. Hopefully things don’t end up this way with the NITL lineup now too.

so is Going Down just forever stuck in limbo now? Tommy can’t have it due to some weird record company clause, I’m assuming, and it doesn’t make sense for the NITL version of the band to use it now. Damn... thank fuck multiple versions of it have leaked now, at least!

Im certain the record company did not want to release any music by the CD lineup which only fuels my theory that the record company were wanting some sort of a reunion in whatever form come hell or high water. If that meant not wanting to release or promote music then so be it. Now that the record company have slash and axl together and the tour has been a money making exercide they will release whatever music sees the light of day, most likely as long as its reworked material and recorded by slash.

Edited by Sydney Fan

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im certain the record company did not want to release any music by the CD lineup which only fuels my theory that the record company were wanting some sort of a reunion in whatever form come hell or high water. If that meant not wanting to release or promote music then so be it. Now that the record company have slash and axl together and the tour has been a money making exercide they will release whatever music sees the light of day, most likely as long as its reworked material and recorded by slash.

I hear you, but I strongly believe at the end of the day, it's all up to Axl. Axl fucked up the old band, Axl made a new band, Axl fucked up release dates and Axl fucked up the new band.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I follow tommy on fb. And he posted an interview this week or last.

He told a bit about chidem and gnr. And said,. He couldn't go any deeper with it. So there is a sort of official gag placement about talking the chidem years. Which is weird cause its the most mysterious time of the band. I loved cd. The leaks. Etc. And to judt read everything. "the good stuff recording. Band getting in shape for the 01/06 tours. The more recording. Just behind the scenes. It would male such a timd more promineny. And official. 

To hear robin n Tommy or even Ron Thal talking would be killer.b

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I feel like, if that were the case, new music would’ve already happened by now.

17 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I prefer Tommy Demo #1 over Going Down.

Great tune as well. A standout in the leaks because its so much more raw. Imagine it on CD? Would have made it feel more expansive like UYI.

Going Downs lyrics are just hitting the spot with me since they speak to someone in my life :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gnrjanus said:

I follow tommy on fb. And he posted an interview this week or last.

He told a bit about chidem and gnr. And said,. He couldn't go any deeper with it. So there is a sort of official gag placement about talking the chidem years. Which is weird cause its the most mysterious time of the band. I loved cd. The leaks. Etc. And to judt read everything. "the good stuff recording. Band getting in shape for the 01/06 tours. The more recording. Just behind the scenes. It would male such a timd more promineny. And official. 

To hear robin n Tommy or even Ron Thal talking would be killer.b

I loved the 2001-2002 era of Guns.  I still love the MTV awards performance,  I know a lot of people didnt. The US tour was coming up, and I thought an album was coming out very soon. It was really a fun time for me personally. I went to see Guns for the first time in Detroit that November. i love Tommy's solo stuff and will always go see him if possible if he is nearby.  I'm glad i was able to shake his hand , tell him his album was great, and click drink glasses with him in the end.  

17 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Would be amazing to hear members of the band from that era talk openly about their experiences and what went on. Sounds doubtful this will ever happen though.....

Brain and Josh give some great looks into that world in each of their appearances on the I'd Hit That podcast. Mostly about band stuff and Axl, but Brain gets into management stuff a bit. But I would also like to hear lots more from Tommy - I think he's the one with the most insight and most contact with Axl and TB?

Brains interactions with Axl are incredibly limited. And he was there when the big money was still flowing. Im not sure what would be more salacious, the inevitable 'the only time I hung out with Axl we ate beluga caviar off of Russian hookers for 3 days' or the 'I went from being paid $100 000s of dollars, to being owed $100 000's? (a la Pitman)

13 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

In that scenario, I feel it was more likely that the record company wasn’t going to support a new GNR release under their current contract, the marketplace and how popular the band was at the time. This happens with other artists. They’ll will keep an artist in limbo if it’s not financially feasible to release something. 

The GNR contract most likely stipulates a pre-negotiated advance for every type of release (album, ep, live album, compilations, etc...) No one knows what that number is, but it could have been renegotiated countless times over the years. A new album advance could have simply just been too big of a risk to take on for new GNR in say 2010. Streaming wasn’t exactly making UMG $ yet, physical albums were hitting a severe decline. It was a weird time period... 

The reunion thing is certainly a factor, but I would believe if it were financially viable, the label would have been for it. It would have sold units. The question was whether they had to pay the band an amount that they could realistically recoup. UMG wasn’t going to take a hit on it. 

Then you have Axl who probably wants to release it, however wants to have the backing of the label and certain stipulations. The label probably wasn’t exactly going to push a release and spend big marketing $ on his album. So it’s a constant non-starter and here we are a decade later. 

This time the market is a bit different, and you have a reunion situation. In the end, the lawyers will win 

The guys from the original CD lineup will get GNR questions for the rest of their lives, might as well form their own band and do their own thing together instead of the underground artist route. They are more than capable of putting a decent album together, could get some nice major press coverage in no time and a couple of festival slots. By this they could get a twist on the CD era for them and pursue their solo carreers having that new band as a more upbeat reference point.