Next Gen Thread (Xbox Series X & PS5)

downzy

I had a PS4 Pro for a while, then switched over to Xbox One X currently just because I had more friends playing Xbox than Playstation.

Im going to sit out the next generation for at least 6 months. I'll wait to see where the friends fall and just start out with the one more of them have. 

I absolutely love the Uncharted games, but that's the only reason for me to lean towards Sony. Other than that, all I play is a bit of Madden and whatever multi player FPS' my friends might be into. 

On 12/13/2019 at 12:33 AM, DeadSlash said:

I'll tell you what my biggest concern is with what we are seeing from the new consoles, a lot of what is either being assumed/presented as in-game "real time" visuals isn't.

Sony has a long track record of this, I'm not as sure about Microsoft but here's the bottom line:

If you know PC hardware and console hardware, whatever is in the console is always a few years behind PC in raw power.  The console version is ALWAYS well optimized, and looks and performs better than it's PC counterpart, but visuals that are unattainable on CURRENT PC hardware WILL NOT be attainable on a console released next year.  I haven't looked it up yet, but the GPU in the next gen consoles will probably be the equivalent of the 9 or 10 series Nvidia chips, around 2020 of next year the 30 series should be out. The 30 series will probably be $1500 to $2k a card.  You will not get anything that powerful in a $400-$800 console.

There are visuals being shown (I didn't spend a lot of time on the XbX reveal posted here, but I've seen some PS ones) that are better than anything that is on the PC market.  Those are bullshit.  They won't happen.  There is some admission of this when companies say they are "anticipating" more powerful tech, but WE KNOW that the GPU will HAVE to be a few gens old in order to be affordable, it's a bit disingenuous for their marketing to hide behind the "It might be invented by next year" line, because even if it was, it wouldn't be priced to go with a console.

All tis being said, I'm still going to get one.  All I'm saying is it won't look it does in the hype package.

After FINALLY joining the PC gamer group, I can honestly say console gaming is a dying fanbase. Basically once you go PC, you'll never go back. I have a better CPU than will be put in either the xbox or PS next gen, and can easily upgrade my GPU to stay ahead of them as well. Not to mention all of the NONgaming things you can do with a PC. But when it comes to actual gaming, it feels EXACTLY like playing on a console. It's pretty remarkable in that aspect. 

Listening to Sony and Microsoft fanboys argue (when you are a member of the PC master race) is kinda like watching two dogs fight a half a bowl of kibble, while I am eating a steak. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

After FINALLY joining the PC gamer group, I can honestly say console gaming is a dying fanbase. Basically once you go PC, you'll never go back. I have a better CPU than will be put in either the xbox or PS next gen, and can easily upgrade my GPU to stay ahead of them as well. Not to mention all of the NONgaming things you can do with a PC. But when it comes to actual gaming, it feels EXACTLY like playing on a console. It's pretty remarkable in that aspect. 

Listening to Sony and Microsoft fanboys argue (when you are a member of the PC master race) is kinda like watching two dogs fight a half a bowl of kibble, while I am eating a steak. 

PC gaming will always be the platform where you can get the highest quality of visuals, but I think console gaming is here to stay simply cause for many gamers the console experience is good enough, they don't care about better visuals, plus there are exclusives on Sony's and Nintendo's platforms and other things that you can only experience on consoles like playing on the go with the Switch.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

... except for one thing. I'm still playing consoles from 1987 and 1991. Sometimes they don't always start up, but some blowing and they run just fine.

I wonder how many people still play on pc's from 1987, playing games from 1987

9 minutes ago, action said:

... except for one thing. I'm still playing consoles from 1987 and 1991. Sometimes they don't always start up, but some blowing and they run just fine.

Emulators. Perfect for old console games.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rovim said:

PC gaming will always be the platform where you can get the highest quality of visuals, but I think console gaming is here to stay simply cause for many gamers the console experience is good enough, they don't care about better visuals, plus there are exclusives on Sony's and Nintendo's platforms and other things that you can only experience on consoles like playing on the go with the Switch.

Well to be fair, I DO have a Switch and it's my preferred console at the moment. 

My overall feeling is that as consoles become closer and closer to PC's, at some point people need to ask themselves why that is? Plus when you add the sheer number of features that PC's offer that consoles NEVER will be able to, buying a console is essentially buying a less functional PC. Honestly most people have a PC at this point anyways, so they already see the need for one.

I think what keeps most people away from PC gaming is buying a prebuilt is expensive (for what you actually get), and building your own can seem daunting. So buying a console just seems easier. But what I would say is, watch some PC building videos (it's not that hard to do really). Then go to pcpartpicker.com and get your parts list together (that site will tell you what does and doesnt work together). So it's really rather easy to do is my point (a lot easier than people realize). 

So in the end you can buy the new consoles for $600 next year (I'm assuming) or build a PC for $800-900 that's more powerful than the console and can do SO MUCH MORE. Plus you will get that price difference back with steam sales (consoles have NOTHING on Steam sales), plus FREE ONLINE GAMING. I have a YouTube channel and use my PC to edit videos, I can't do that with a console...

Finally, if you are a Microsoft fanboy especially, their games come to PC anyways. 

6 hours ago, action said:

Never heard of emulation? I have 3 PC's (a Dell from 2004, a Dell from 2011, and brand new gaming PC) that can play games from the dawn of gaming all the way up to modern AAA titles (gaming PC). I own most of the best consoles of all time (except for Sony consoles, but that's a different discussion). Anyways I have (actual consoles) Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Switch, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, OG Xbox, and 360. I will tell you point blank, because of emulation I have RETIRED all of them from use except for the Switch and the 360. I openly play my switch, and the 360 my 4 year old plays Lego Dimensions on (but that's it). Literally EVERYTHING else we can play on one of my emulation PC's.

Let me also add that I NEVER have to blow anything to get the games to work either. They ALWAYS work, imagine that. If you want to talk controls... I have authentic arcade controls for these PC's as well. The original controlers dont have anything on arcade controls my friend. Have you ever played Sonic with arcade controls? Blows the controller away.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Well to be fair, I DO have a Switch and it's my preferred console at the moment. 

My overall feeling is that as consoles become closer and closer to PC's, at some point people need to ask themselves why that is? Plus when you add the sheer number of features that PC's offer that consoles NEVER will be able to, buying a console is essentially buying a less functional PC. Honestly most people have a PC at this point anyways, so they already see the need for one.

I think what keeps most people away from PC gaming is buying a prebuilt is expensive (for what you actually get), and building your own can seem daunting. So buying a console just seems easier. But what I would say is, watch some PC building videos (it's not that hard to do really). Then go to pcpartpicker.com and get your parts list together (that site will tell you what does and doesnt work together). So it's really rather easy to do is my point (a lot easier than people realize). 

So in the end you can buy the new consoles for $600 next year (I'm assuming) or build a PC for $800-900 that's more powerful than the console and can do SO MUCH MORE. Plus you will get that price difference back with steam sales (consoles have NOTHING on Steam sales), plus FREE ONLINE GAMING. I have a YouTube channel and use my PC to edit videos, I can't do that with a console...

Finally, if you are a Microsoft fanboy especially, their games come to PC anyways. 

All good points, but I think you might be underestimating the sheer number of gamers who are just not interested in building a PC and prefer the console experience for various reasons. Every console is a weaker computer with less applications going for it but that's kinda the point: it's there to do just one thing. That's also an advantage.

This is why the Playstation brand is so successful and why there is still a market for Xbox and Switch. You don't have to upgrade, you buy the box and you have 7 to 10 years of gaming life until you have to buy another one and the game company's imagination is the only thing that's in the way of making it unique which imo is what the Switch was able to do. I don't see it changing anytime soon cause demand is still very high for the console experience despite the superior power of a new PC.

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

All good points, but I think you might be underestimating the sheer number of gamers who are just not interested in building a PC and prefer the console experience for various reasons. Every console is a weaker computer with less applications going for it but that's kinda the point: it's there to do just one thing. That's also an advantage.

This is why the Playstation brand is so successful and why there is still a market for Xbox and Switch. You don't have to upgrade, you buy the box and you have 7 to 10 years of gaming life until you have to buy another one and the game company's imagination is the only thing that's in the way of making it unique which imo is what the Switch was able to do. I don't see it changing anytime soon cause demand is still very high for the console experience despite the superior power of a new PC.

Dont get me wrong, I understand that there is obviously still a market for consoles. Just look at kids 6-16, they (most likely) just plain can't build a PC. 

I'm more talking to the older folks, those of us in this thread, etc. If I can build a PC, so can you. I just view console gaming to be a waste of money for most people in their 20's and 30's. I'm just trying to get that person that's super excited about the new PS and Xbox consoles to stop and think "maybe I should think about PC gaming." You wont regret it. 

24 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Never heard of emulation? I have 3 PC's (a Dell from 2004, a Dell from 2011, and brand new gaming PC) that can play games from the dawn of gaming all the way up to modern AAA titles (gaming PC). I own most of the best consoles of all time (except for Sony consoles, but that's a different discussion). Anyways I have (actual consoles) Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Switch, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, OG Xbox, and 360. I will tell you point blank, because of emulation I have RETIRED all of them from use except for the Switch and the 360. I openly play my switch, and the 360 my 4 year old plays Lego Dimensions on (but that's it). Literally EVERYTHING else we can play on one of my emulation PC's.

Let me also add that I NEVER have to blow anything to get the games to work either. They ALWAYS work, imagine that. If you want to talk controls... I have authentic arcade controls for these PC's as well. The original controlers dont have anything on arcade controls my friend. Have you ever played Sonic with arcade controls? Blows the controller away.

pc's break over time. hard drives can fail. I'm still using my old snes, and it works like new.

pc's are a source of stress. I went through the hassle of installing a snes emulator on my laptop. bought an USB snes controller, which broke after a month of use. then, the emulator made my laptop crash. so I said fuck all of that. vintage consoles all the way, for me

in the unlikely event that my snes should fail (never happened), I have three spares for emergencies. then, it's just a matter of putting the cartridge in another snes. No need for reinstalling emulators and redownloading roms.

also, roms are illegal (not that I care about that, but still)

Edited by action
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, action said:

pc's break over time. hard drives can fail. I'm still using my old snes, and it works like new.

pc's are a source of stress. I went through the hassle of installing a snes emulator on my laptop. bought an USB snes controller, which broke after a month of use. then, the emulator made my laptop crash. so I said fuck all of that. vintage consoles all the way, for me

How's the resolution on your modern tv? Or do you have it hooked up to a CRT tv? Which those are fun lugging around aren't they? 

I can adjust the resolution to add scan lines (to simulate CRT), or can play in actual HD. Good luck with that with a SNES my friend. Even if you get special cables to adjust the resolution (which I tried that route as well), still doesnt match emulation. 

10 minutes ago, action said:

also, roms are illegal (not that I care about that, but still)

Not if you own a physical version of that game. I'm not going to sit here and tell you I own physical versions of every rom I own. But I DO own physical versions of a TON of them, especially the Nintendo titles that are the most "controversial." Or you can also own a collection game (like the Genesis Switch collection), that covers most of my Genesis games. 

So you can't just throw a blanket statement that "roms are illegal." Because that's not accurate.

16 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

How's the resolution on your modern tv? Or do you have it hooked up to a CRT tv? Which those are fun lugging around aren't they? 

I can adjust the resolution to add scan lines (to simulate CRT), or can play in actual HD. Good luck with that with a SNES my friend. Even if you get special cables to adjust the resolution (which I tried that route as well), still doesnt match emulation. 

just using my old CRT TV. it's all set up in my mancave.

I don't have a care on my mind. everything works fine, looks and plays just as I remember it.... because it effectively is on the old hardware. They can shut down all romsites for all I care; every game I care about I own physical, and on cartridge where available. These things can survive a nuclear war.

also, these games look better on a CRT than on a HD TV, even when using emulation. I have the best emulation available; the one on the snes classic, and these games look nothing compared to the originals; way too blocky on every setting.

Edited by action

5 minutes ago, action said:

just using my old CRT TV. it's all set up in my mancave.

I don't have a care on my mind. everything works fine, looks and plays just as I remember it.... because it effectively is on the old hardware. They can shut down all romsites for all I care; every game I care about I own physical, and on cartridge where available. These things can survive a nuclear war.

also, these games look better on a CRT than on a HD TV, even when using emulation. I have the best emulation available; the one on the snes classic, and these games look nothing compared to the originals; way too blocky on every setting.

To each their own. I've already derailed this topic enough I'm sure.

54 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Sorry but you’re not building a $900 gaming PC that will piss all over the new generation of consoles. I paid nearly that alone for my graphics card so by the time you’ve bought a decent motherboard, SSD, processor etc for a decent high end rig you could probably have both new consoles and change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

Sorry but you’re not building a $900 gaming PC that will piss all over the new generation of consoles. I paid nearly that alone for my graphics card so by the time you’ve bought a decent motherboard, SSD, processor etc for a decent high end rig you could probably have both new consoles and change. 

But when these consoles come out, it will lower the price of comparable GPU's. Even though these consoles will most likely be sold at a loss, it's all about supply and demand. Right now the demand and supply for high end GPU's isnt extremely high, hence why they can sell them for a premium. The demand and supply for mid range GPU's is where it's at currently (and these prices have been continually been falling). 

So when the new consoles come out, PC builders are going to demand these new GPU's. Which they will probably be fairly expensive at first, but they will slowly fall, as they became the current midrange cards. GPU makers will surpass the console cards, and they will become the new high end cards. So I stand by my initial statement, give it a year or so, but you will be able to build a $900 PC that will dwarf these consoles. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

26 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

But when these consoles come out, it will lower the price of comparable GPU's. Even though these consoles will most likely be sold at a loss, it's all about supply and demand. Right now the demand and supply for high end GPU's isnt extremely high, hence why they can sell them for a premium. The demand and supply for mid range GPU's is where it's at currently (and these prices have been continually been falling). 

So when the new consoles come out, PC builders are going to demand these new GPU's. Which they will probably be fairly expensive at first, but they will slowly fall, as they became the current midrange cards. GPU makers will surpass the console cards, and they will become the new high end cards. So I stand by my initial statement, give it a year or so, but you will be able to build a $900 PC that will dwarf these consoles. 

No you won’t. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

even if that would be true, it's still not proof that "consoles are on their way out, and the future is PC gaming"

do you see soccer moms buying a gaming PC for their kid at christmas? or busy dads spening hours behind a gaming computer, tweaking it for maximum performance?

So I think the following statements are closer to the truth:

- console gaming will always be the more convenient way to play games, as per definition

- console gaming will never take second spot behind PC gaming, since the market for console gaming is much bigger than the PC market. Also, almost as per definition.

• Like 1

I use to be a PC gamer from the late 80s to the mid 2000s.  Perhaps things are different now but there’s no way i would ever go back. Way too expensive and inconvenient compared to what i get with console gaming.  I also have very little time to play games, so spending $1k for a dedicated gaming machine has that i have to build and maintain is not appealing in the slightest. 

I do think console and PC gaming will become more alike as time wears on. The next gen machines will be capable of producing 4K at 60 frames per second. That’s good enough for me. Game streaming will further up the convenience and lower the cost factor. Why spend $1k on a mid to high level PC when you can spend $10 a month for ultra-level graphics and access to many top tier games without the worry of maintenance or having to upgrade every two to four years? 

It’s great that there are people out there who enjoy the DYI aspect and are fine with the significantly higher cost of PC gaming. But they will always be a niche sector of the market compared to console gaming and the coming game streaming services. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Anyone planning on pre-ordering a XSX or the PS5 (I've changed the topic title to include both PS5 and XSX)?

Reports are suggesting that supply will be very limited due to supply chain issues relating to COVID-19.  The PS5 in particular is sounding like it will be in short supply.

I'm thinking of pre-ordering both a XSX and PS5 and then selling one for whatever I can get for it to cover the cost of the other.  Might end up with a free console if prices on eBay go nuts.  

• downzy changed the title to Next Gen Thread (Xbox Series X & PS5)

I had a PS2 but switched over to Xbox when the 360 came out simply because it was cheaper than the PS3 and really all I cared about was having something that could play Rockstar titles. Most of the games I'm into are cross platform anyways.

I stuck with Xbox when the One came out for basically the same reason and overall I prefer the Xbox controller.

However, most of my gamer friends (and by most I mean pretty much all) are Sony users. I typically don't play online much but I recently picked up a PS4 Slim on a deal so I could game with them during isolation. I'm impressed with the console and it will be cool to grab some games I missed out on (Spider-Man comes to mind).

So on that note, I will likely stick with Sony now and get the PS5 because that's what my friends will be getting. It didn't take me long to get used to the PS4 controller either.

On 4/24/2020 at 9:42 AM, James Bond said:

So on that note, I will likely stick with Sony now and get the PS5 because that's what my friends will be getting. It didn't take me long to get used to the PS4 controller either.

Have you seen the new PS5 controller?  The good news is it looks like they've filled it out a bit and made it look more like the Xbox controller.  The only issue is that the left joystick is still near the centre of the controller.  I know PS faithful are likely use to it but it still makes less sense than having it where the current d-pad is considering most games now play better on the joystick.  

I've read the PS5 will be short supply for a long while due to part scarcity.  Considering you just bought your PS4 I don't think that will matter much to you.  I am thinking of buying a PS5 just to resell to help cover the cost of my XSX.  

56 minutes ago, downzy said:

Have you seen the new PS5 controller?  The good news is it looks like they've filled it out a bit and made it look more like the Xbox controller.  The only issue is that the left joystick is still near the centre of the controller.  I know PS faithful are likely use to it but it still makes less sense than having it where the current d-pad is considering most games now play better on the joystick.  

I've read the PS5 will be short supply for a long while due to part scarcity.  Considering you just bought your PS4 I don't think that will matter much to you.  I am thinking of buying a PS5 just to resell to help cover the cost of my XSX.  

It does indeed seem to be slightly larger but that's actually not my issue with their controllers. It's that they don't use the asymmetrical layout of either the Xbox or Nintendo controllers which, in my opinion, makes the left stick far more comfortable and accessible. I have small hands so I can accept the slightly smaller size of the Dualshock 4 overall but it seems silly for modern gaming to have such a pronounced d-pad when the left stick is what gets used the most. That said, I adapted fine after a few days to the Dualshock 4 so by the time I'm onto the Dualsense I'll be an old pro.

Yeah I mean who knows. As long as the peripherals are backwards compatible like the Series X then I might still get the PS5 at launch and just sell the Slim. No big deal if I miss the window though! I'll keep busy for a while.