Jump to content
jacdaniel

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

 

Also - what does that say about the sonics if any new material? Slash going for a specific AFD tone? Pretty sure the whole ‘recording at Axls’ was in relation to his amp getting cleaned etc and was a modified one for ‘AFD’ tones?

the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI as well so I'm guessing it means Slash is just using what always worked for Gn'R. That classic Gn'R tone, doesn't mean he's going for an AFD vibe, it's just the album this guitar is most associated with and kinda the name that was given to it but of course it's possible.

Edited by Rovim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rovim said:

the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI as well so I'm guessing it means Slash is just using what always worked for Gn'R. That classic Gn'R tone, doesn't mean he's going for an AFD vibe, it's just the album this guitar is most associated with and kinda the name that was given to it but of course it's possible.

True - just going by the ‘AFD’ reference. As you say, at the very least going to a ‘classic’ tone regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Also - what does that say about the sonics if any new material? Slash going for a specific AFD tone? Pretty sure the whole ‘recording at Axls’ was in relation to his amp getting cleaned etc and was a modified one for ‘AFD’ tones?

 

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI as well so I'm guessing it means Slash is just using what always worked for Gn'R. That classic Gn'R tone, doesn't mean he's going for an AFD vibe, it's just the album this guitar is most associated with and kinda the name that was given to it but of course it's possible.

I think he used more than just the AFD guitar in the Illusions, but I may be wrong.

From what I can tell in his recent studio releases, I def think he's trying to emulate the AFD sound. The Illusions/TSI tone were my favorite, so I don't know how I feel about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Any updates regarding the EP march rumor?

An EP is better than nothing, but if all we get 12 years after Chinese Democracy is an EP, I might actually blow my brains out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

 

I think he used more than just the AFD guitar in the Illusions, but I may be wrong.

From what I can tell in his recent studio releases, I def think he's trying to emulate the AFD sound. The Illusions/TSI tone were my favorite, so I don't know how I feel about this.

Fair enough - the fact he is clearly working on GNR stuff is a big thing regardless!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

 

I think he used more than just the AFD guitar in the Illusions, but I may be wrong.

From what I can tell in his recent studio releases, I def think he's trying to emulate the AFD sound. The Illusions/TSI tone were my favorite, so I don't know how I feel about this.

"the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI". Not all the parts. Other guitars were used to record UYI like the BC Rich Mockingbird on YCBM for example.

The AFD guitar is just a big part of Slash's classic sound so it makes sense it will play a main role in a new Gn'R release, whatever the specific sound Slash and the band are aiming for. Even Slash's Appetite work wasn't recorded just with one guitar. My Michelle was recorded with an SG for example.

Edited by Rovim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess Mr. J from htgth saying that they definitely intend to play HardSkool live at some point on this tour is another baby step towards album confirmation... The question now is just how much will the virus get in the way, exactly? The European leg is still in jeopardy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rovim said:

"the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI". Not all the parts. Other guitars were used to record UYI like the BC Rich Mockingbird on YCBM for example.

The AFD guitar is just a big part of Slash's classic sound so it makes sense it will play a main role in a new Gn'R release, whatever the specific sound Slash and the band are aiming for. Even Slash's Appetite work wasn't recorded just with one guitar. My Michelle was recorded with an SG for example.

I don't think he used the BC Rich Mockingbird to record YCBM. Sounds pretty much like his regular LP to me, and def not a floyd rose bridge. I know he used it live back in the 90s.

I wasn't correcting you, I was just giving my opinion. But as far as I know, he only used his famous AFD Les Paul Gibson copy/knock-off for the leads in AFD. He used several others for the rhythm like you said. 

I was talking about other LPs besides his classic 58 gold top for the Illusions. Not sure if he used that tobacco burst (used in the video) for November Rain, but it sure sounded different to me. Guess the amp was not the same too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't think he used the BC Rich Mockingbird to record YCBM. Sounds pretty much like his regular LP to me, and def not a floyd rose bridge. I know he used it live back in the 90s.

I wasn't correcting you, I was just giving my opinion. But as far as I know, he only used his famous AFD Les Paul Gibson copy/knock-off for the leads in AFD. He used several others for the rhythm like you said. 

I was talking about other LPs besides his classic 58 gold top for the Illusions. Not sure if he used that tobacco burst (used in the video) for November Rain, but it sure sounded different to me. Guess the amp was not the same too.

I mentioned the SG that was used on My Michelle just to highlight the point the debut wasn't all recorded with just the AFD guitar. Leads sounds like a LP but I'm not sure. Slash stated in his book he did use the Joe Perry LP for UYI. Elsewhere he said he used a vintage Flying V on KOHD and the Travis Bean for Bad Obsession.

He even used a Musicman, used Strats for UYI. Dobro for You Ain't The First, a plethora of LP's of course. (vintage, Goldtops)

pretty sure you're right about the BC Rich. I guess it was only used for the YCBM music video.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rovim said:

 

Fitting that they finally interviewed him since they've been using his photo for the podcast since they started it.

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

the guitar was used to record many parts of UYI as well so I'm guessing it means Slash is just using what always worked for Gn'R. That classic Gn'R tone, doesn't mean he's going for an AFD vibe, it's just the album this guitar is most associated with and kinda the name that was given to it but of course it's possible.

That's always been one of his go to guitars for recording, GnR, SMKC, etc. It stays in storage when he's not using it because it's such a historical instrument.

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

 

I think he used more than just the AFD guitar in the Illusions, but I may be wrong.

From what I can tell in his recent studio releases, I def think he's trying to emulate the AFD sound. The Illusions/TSI tone were my favorite, so I don't know how I feel about this.

Yeah he used some others too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool interview. Sounds like he accidentally let it slip that he had been using the guitar for GnR recording then when asked more about it he was being vague haha. I think that he just can't confirm anything right now because if he does say "Yeah we're finishing up a record and it'll be out later this year" or something like that then all of the media will pick it up and run with it. They're not going to say anything for sure until GnR has officially announced a new single/album/whatever. Maybe it has to do with Axl/record label/TB but Slash knows that he can't say anything concrete until there's an official statement out.

I still think they've secretly been working on new music and plan to release it at some point; we just need to be patient. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Cool interview. Sounds like he accidentally let it slip that he had been using the guitar for GnR recording then when asked more about it he was being vague haha. I think that he just can't confirm anything right now because if he does say "Yeah we're finishing up a record and it'll be out later this year" or something like that then all of the media will pick it up and run with it. They're not going to say anything for sure until GnR has officially announced a new single/album/whatever. Maybe it has to do with Axl/record label/TB but Slash knows that he can't say anything concrete until there's an official statement out.

I still think they've secretly been working on new music and plan to release it at some point; we just need to be patient. 

He has always been upfront with SMKC recording and touring plans  so this quietness regarding gnr must be killing him. I just hope the material is worth the wait.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Cool interview. Sounds like he accidentally let it slip that he had been using the guitar for GnR recording then when asked more about it he was being vague haha. I think that he just can't confirm anything right now because if he does say "Yeah we're finishing up a record and it'll be out later this year" or something like that then all of the media will pick it up and run with it. They're not going to say anything for sure until GnR has officially announced a new single/album/whatever. Maybe it has to do with Axl/record label/TB but Slash knows that he can't say anything concrete until there's an official statement out.

I still think they've secretly been working on new music and plan to release it at some point; we just need to be patient. 

Sucks he didn't actually have his guitar and do the normal "No Guitar Is Safe" experience. The one with Phil Collen from Def Leppard and Steve Lukather are both really great for that. 

I liked how he was basically asking Slash "So why did you choose Frank Sidoris over me for SMKC?" haha....

Edited by Ant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s long been stated that releasing new music is no longer financially worth it for established acts and that touring the hits is where all the money is made.

Well...

All tours cancelled, consumers stuck indoors and looking for all the entertainment they can get. There will never be a better time this century to release new music. Digitally, anyway.

  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched a podcast the other day hosted by an Irish fella. He was interviewing Don Jamieson from That Metal Show and Don says nobody wants to hear Axl play a bunch of new songs - they are there for the hits etc. While there is an element of truth to this - for casual concert goers - it does disappoint me that this seems to be the widespread opinion throughout most that are involved in the biz. I seen The Darkness in December, the first hour was their new album from front to back then the second hour was dedicated to hits. Seemed to go down well with all in attendance. People who enjoy music will always be open to hearing new releases from their favourite artists IMO. 

  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dean said:

I watched a podcast the other day hosted by an Irish fella. He was interviewing Don Jamieson from That Metal Show and Don says nobody wants to hear Axl play a bunch of new songs - they are there for the hits etc. While there is an element of truth to this - for casual concert goers - it does disappoint me that this seems to be the widespread opinion throughout most that are involved in the biz. I seen The Darkness in December, the first hour was their new album from front to back then the second hour was dedicated to hits. Seemed to go down well with all in attendance. People who enjoy music will always be open to hearing new releases from their favourite artists IMO. 

Never hear of this Don Jamieson but he is talking pish. I’d much rather take the opinion of someone like Kirk Hammett who criticised the group for not releasing new material and touring in nostalgia - so he clearly wants new music.

You could argue the amount of time touring a similar setlist has enforced the nostalgia tag though. Pre-reunion the fans still in attendance at the gigs would be 100% all over new material - those fans are still there.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rovim said:

I mentioned the SG that was used on My Michelle just to highlight the point the debut wasn't all recorded with just the AFD guitar. Leads sounds like a LP but I'm not sure. Slash stated in his book he did use the Joe Perry LP for UYI. Elsewhere he said he used a vintage Flying V on KOHD and the Travis Bean for Bad Obsession.

He even used a Musicman, used Strats for UYI. Dobro for You Ain't The First, a plethora of LP's of course. (vintage, Goldtops)

pretty sure you're right about the BC Rich. I guess it was only used for the YCBM music video.

He used a strat to play Dust N' Bones live. Maybe that's what he used in the studio too?

Also, he must have used the BC Rich to record Reckless Life and maybe Move to the City for the Live Like a Suicide record. Not sure about the other songs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its the perfect time to release an album since people can't go to concerts.

Guess what GnR will do? Nothing.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Creed said:

Its the perfect time to release an album since people can't go to concerts.

Guess what GnR will do? Nothing.

It would also be uplifting in this depressing situation. A new GnR album would definitely light up my day, week, month....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a reason why movies are being delayed, it's because people have bigger things to worry about right now and are unlikely to spend money or go out in large gatherings (to purchase physical tickets). As much as i want a GNR album, they sure as hell won't release it during a pandemic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I still think they've secretly been working on new music and plan to release it at some point; we just need to be patient.

NITL blu ray release, they’re probably recording overdubs. Calm down peepz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

There's a reason why movies are being delayed, it's because people have bigger things to worry about right now and are unlikely to spend money or go out in large gatherings (to purchase physical tickets). As much as i want a GNR album, they sure as hell won't release it during a pandemic.

It's just an album. Nobody would have to go out to buy anything, it would be available to listen on Spotify or even download in Apple Music and/or Amazon. And if you really want a physical copy, that could be delivered (or maybe it would be sold later). 

The idle time we'll all have to endure will not be only for home office. Entertainment via digital will be more helpful than ever these days. It is the perfect time for people to hear new music.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

There's a reason why movies are being delayed, it's because people have bigger things to worry about right now and are unlikely to spend money or go out in large gatherings (to purchase physical tickets). As much as i want a GNR album, they sure as hell won't release it during a pandemic.

They could always just do an online-exclusive EP or something, tho. :shrugs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

They could always just do an online-exclusive EP or something, tho. :shrugs:

Or one new song/single

 

Even few upcoming Blu-ray releases were digitally released early this past weekend so people could enjoy something at home

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×