The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

21 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I personally think it is their best album since Binaural!  I suppose not every album will be liked by every fan.  I hear some amazingly different sonic stuff they are trying out on this album and it is fantastic to me

Lemme know what you think!  The artwork looks amazing blown up on the vinyl sleeves like that, tempted to get the vinyl from the Ten Club

Backspacer, LB and Gigaton are all pretty poor releases, imo. I understand that these guys are getting older and are pretty much making dad rock these days, but I expected more with this one. It's just so boring to me. I skipped songs halfway through on my first listen because there's just nothing exciting there at all. It all starts with Vedder. His songwriting is so stale and predictable, and his voice is a shell of what it once was...no power in it at all. Keep smoking 2 packs a day, Ed! I was pretty interested in this record when I heard Clairvoyant because it's at least a departure from what they've done in the past, but that was the only song in that vein. It just seems like the creative well has run dry, and that's a shame considering it took so long to release this. There are a few interesting layers to some songs, especially if you listen with headphones, but not enough to make the record anything more than a shelf filler addition to my PJ vinyl collection.
  • Like 1

If GNR were to release an album, who cares that some people here would find fault with it? Those same people found fault with Slash and Duff returning to the band too (ie, without Adler or Izzy, it isn't a "real" reunion). 

For me, the leaks alone from last fall show how positive and favorable the majority of folks on these boards were to the unreleased/new music. A few voiced their displeasure for the songs, but the majority opinion seemed to be more along the lines of "Sorry to have doubted you, Axl."

Some people will never get over that Slash and Duff didn't have a hand in writing those songs. So they will trash it the same way people trashed Chinese Democracy for not featuring Slash. They're out here demanding "all new" songs written only by the current band. 

22 hours ago, TheSlashrose said:

Snafu too

Totaly...if you miss the old school GnR sound, vibe and even lyrics and haven't heard em before...find these two Izzy tracks, "Bomb" and "Snafu"...both from the "Like a dog" album, I believe.

And then start crying because Izzy probably won't ever return at this point.

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

Totaly...if you miss the old school GnR sound, vibe and even lyrics and haven't heard em before...find these two Izzy tracks, "Bomb" and "Snafu"...both from the "Like a dog" album, I believe.

And then start crying because Izzy probably won't ever return at this point.

Like A Dog is easily the best Izzy album, IMO.

19 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

If GNR were to release an album, who cares that some people here would find fault with it? Those same people found fault with Slash and Duff returning to the band too (ie, without Adler or Izzy, it isn't a "real" reunion). 

For me, the leaks alone from last fall show how positive and favorable the majority of folks on these boards were to the unreleased/new music. A few voiced their displeasure for the songs, but the majority opinion seemed to be more along the lines of "Sorry to have doubted you, Axl."

Some people will never get over that Slash and Duff didn't have a hand in writing those songs. So they will trash it the same way people trashed Chinese Democracy for not featuring Slash. They're out here demanding "all new" songs written only by the current band. 

understandable as some Gn'R fans never connected with the post Slash and Duff material. If, for example, what you like the most about GnR's music is Slash's style of playing and it's just as important to you as Axl's voice or even more important, why would you want 20 year old material that was written by other musicians to be reworked by Slash? I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

I'll take anything, anything at all but I'm of the opinion that Axl won't release a shit Gn'R album cause I liked Chinese as an album but not every Gn'R fan liked it and that's just the way it is.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rovim said:

understandable as some Gn'R fans never connected with the post Slash and Duff material. If, for example, what you like the most about GnR's music is Slash's style of playing and it's just as important to you as Axl's voice or even more important, why would you want 20 year old material that was written by other musicians to be reworked by Slash? I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

I'll take anything, anything at all but I'm of the opinion that Axl won't release a shit Gn'R album cause I liked Chinese as an album but not every Gn'R fan liked it and that's just the way it is.

I think anything re-worked by Slash and Duff will add tremendously to that old GNR "feel" that many people claim to miss on Chinese. If I use the live version of "Better" as an example. The grimy intro is much different than the record version and all they did is rework the bridge to begin the song with it.  And the rehearsal of "Hard School" that we heard had a ton of groove to it (thanks, Duff) compared to the locker leak. You cater to it and make it your own. The entire band did this with covers. "Live and Let Die" is better than the original.

But the people who would complain that a new GNR record just features Axl-penned "solo project" songs, those are the ones who I truly believe would be dissatisfied at actual new material written in 2019 by Duff, Axl, and Slash. They would complain Slash's guitar sounds too "modern" like a Conspirators album, or that it's missing the old push-and-pull Izzy vs. Slash feel of the Appetite material.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

I think anything re-worked by Slash and Duff will add tremendously to that old GNR "feel" that many people claim to miss on Chinese. If I use the live version of "Better" as an example. The grimy intro is much different than the record version and all they did is rework the bridge to begin the song with it.  And the rehearsal of "Hard School" that we heard had a ton of groove to it (thanks, Duff) compared to the locker leak. You cater to it and make it your own. The entire band did this with covers. "Live and Let Die" is better than the original.

but it's still essentially the same tunes and they retain a lot of the original style/personality of the people who are responsible for writing and recording the shit. And I don't agree that LALD is better than the original. Just like I don't agree that Better has improved. I prefer Robin's solo and the original intro of the song.

My point is that there's still a difference between a song that Slash came up with and a song that anyone else brought in and Slash just reworked. People that don't like the direction Axl went with for the Chinese era probably miss the elements he brought to the sound. Axl talked about this in the 1999 Kurt Loader interview and said that no one else but Slash can come up with a riff quite like how Slash can come up with for Gn'R and it works both ways: a lot of people that really like what Robin and Bucket came up with did not like Slash's interpretation of their work like This I Love for example.

31 minutes ago, Rovim said:

but it's still essentially the same tunes and they retain a lot of the original style/personality of the people who are responsible for writing and recording the shit. And I don't agree that LALD is better than the original. Just like I don't agree that Better has improved. I prefer Robin's solo and the original intro of the song.

My point is that there's still a difference between a song that Slash came up with and a song that anyone else brought in and Slash just reworked. People that don't like the direction Axl went with for the Chinese era probably miss the elements he brought to the sound. Axl talked about this in the 1999 Kurt Loader interview and said that no one else but Slash can come up with a riff quite like how Slash can come up with for Gn'R and it works both ways: a lot of people that really like what Robin and Bucket came up with did not like Slash's interpretation of their work like This I Love for example.

I'm not saying the live "Better" is better than the studio version. Just saying the way they interpret or play it now adds slightly more of the "signature" groove that Duff is known for within GNR.

And to be clear, when I say "LALD" better than the original, I mean the studio cover by Guns vs. the Wings original. 

Slash didn't write "November Rain." He added to it. And it's tremendous. Without his solos, the song wouldn't be half of what it is, and that's an Axl Rose magnum opus. That is one example of Slash adding to the song but it becoming something grander/better due to the collaboration.

This is how many songs in the day used to be as well. One guy would write it and bring it to the band and they'd all add elements to it. Yes, that's a little different than if Slash and Duff got to work on finished songs in demo form from the Chinese sessions, but the point remains. They can still rework choruses, bridge, code, solos, main bassline, etc. Who knows what they will do. I'm excited as hell for it.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

14 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

I'm not saying the live "Better" is better than the studio version. Just saying the way they interpret or play it now adds slightly more of the "signature" groove that Duff is known for within GNR.

And to be clear, when I say "LALD" better than the original, I mean the studio cover by Guns vs. the Wings original. 

Slash didn't write "November Rain." He added to it. And it's tremendous. Without his solos, the song wouldn't be half of what it is, and that's an Axl Rose magnum opus. That is one example of Slash adding to the song but it becoming something grander/better due to the collaboration.

This is how many songs in the day used to be as well. One guy would write it and bring it to the band and they'd all add elements to it. Yes, that's a little different than if Slash and Duff got to work on finished songs in demo form from the Chinese sessions, but the point remains. They can still rework choruses, bridge, code, solos, main bassline, etc. Who knows what they will do. I'm excited as hell for it.

yeah, I prefer the Wings original. Like I said, I'll take anything. I trust Axl's strict quality standard. (I think it won't be a shit album no matter what)  I'll try to give a different example: Bumble's Catcher solos. What Axl had there was a fully formed and completed tune with Brian May's work. (who himself replaced Robin's work on it)

what if Axl decides to do the same with some Chinese era tunes that we've never heard before? so you've got Slash now, and let's say he still shares perfect musical chemistry with Axl but it's going to be something else, different. Could be better, could be worse and I believe it depends on the song/idea.

Slash's favorite released song from that era is Chinese Democracy and it sounds great when he plays it imo. It works. Other Chinese tunes - not so much. At least some of it is not as good to my ears.

I think the advantage with reworking unreleased tunes is that it's going to sound more like Gn'R and Slash is a rare talent. The risk is that the original material could be better as is simply cause the musicians that worked on it before had a style that worked better with that specific song.

Slash had 4 years to come up with his live Chinese interpretations. In the studio, he'll have better conditions to come up with solos for existing material but it's still indicative of his approach and personally I'm not entirely convinced it's all going to be automatically better just cause it's Slash. I still believe the current line up can produce a great album, but it's likely that some cool shit will get "lost in translation".

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

yeah, I prefer the Wings original. Like I said, I'll take anything. I trust Axl's strict quality standard. I'll try to give a different example: Bumble's Catcher solos. What Axl had there was a fully formed and completed tune with Brian May's work. (who himself replaced Robin's work on it)

what if Axl decides to do the same with some Chinese era tunes that we've never heard before? so you've got Slash now, and let's say he still shares perfect musical chemistry with Axl but it's going to be something else, different. Could be better, could be worse and I believe it depends on the song/idea.

Slash's favorite released song from that era is Chinese Democracy and it sounds great when he plays it imo. It works. Other Chinese tunes - not so much imo. At least some of it is not as good.

the advantage with reworking unreleased tunes imo is that it's going to sound more like Gn'R and Slash is a rare talent. The risk is that the original material could be better as is simply cause the musicians that worked on it before had a style that worked better with that specific song.

Slash had 4 years to come up with his live Chinese interpretations. In the studio, he'll have better conditions to come up with solos for existing material but it's still indicative of his approach and personally I'm not entirely convinced it's all going to be automatically better. I still believe the current line up can produce a great album, it's just not likely that some cool shit won't get lost in translation.

A song like Hard School whether it was from the 94-96 session or Nu-GNR can play up to Slash's and Duff's strengths. It's structured as  a classic GNR hard rock song.  Perhaps is another one that plays to their strengths. Atlas can be like Estranged where Axl created it and Slash added to it. 

Btw, I like the GNR version of Live and Let die. The Wings version just doesn't have that venom. 

28 minutes ago, Draguns said:

A song like Hard School whether it was from the 94-96 session or Nu-GNR can play up to Slash's and Duff's strengths. It's structured as  a classic GNR hard rock song.  Perhaps is another one that plays to their strengths. Atlas can be like Estranged where Axl created it and Slash added to it. 

Btw, I like the GNR version of Live and Let die. The Wings version just doesn't have that venom. 

yeah that little Hard School snippet is cool. Slash and Duff doing their thing. I'm just concerned that not every song they'll rework is gonna be as good as a fit musically as the original. It's all good though. They're all very talented musicians.

I just wish I wasn't in this weird position as a fan where I want to know what Robin,Bucket, and Tommy came up with for at least the second half of Chinese but of course I also want to hear what Slash and Duff can do with it and I just can't see Axl using anyone else but Slash now. (and for good reason)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Hard School would probably make a great first single, I just need somebody to explain where the expression came from.. 

(1)to be hardcore with attributes of an old schooler.
(2)to be gnarly as hell on a banana board/riding sheer ice/brutal choppy wake.
(3)Tony Hawk, Rodney Mullen, Shaun Palmer, JP Walker are all pretty fucking hardschool

It's like watching the kids who acted in "lords of dogtown"...they are doing old school tricks but doing them pretty fuckng hard core. Thus the name hardschool. learn it, live it, love it.
ex. "Man that dude is rippin it fuckin hardschool"

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hardschool

It's really an ode to Slash, as he was gnarly as hell on that axe, dude.

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

(1)to be hardcore with attributes of an old schooler.
(2)to be gnarly as hell on a banana board/riding sheer ice/brutal choppy wake.
(3)Tony Hawk, Rodney Mullen, Shaun Palmer, JP Walker are all pretty fucking hardschool

It's like watching the kids who acted in "lords of dogtown"...they are doing old school tricks but doing them pretty fuckng hard core. Thus the name hardschool. learn it, live it, love it.
ex. "Man that dude is rippin it fuckin hardschool"

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hardschool

It's really an ode to Slash, as he was gnarly as hell on that axe, dude.

Well how 'bout that. Thanks. I honestly had never heard the phrase in my life prior to that song. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Well how 'bout that. Thanks. I honestly had never heard the phrase in my life prior to that song. 

I never have either.  I assumed it was about long division bc that shit is impossible.

now that I know what it means, I will now use the term hard school it as much  as I use the eggplant emoji (that I was also late to the game to), but now i use it everywhere except for my signature on my corporate emails (that may change if I'm stuck in my house much longer)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Hard School would probably make a great first single, I just need somebody to explain where the expression came from.. 

Urban dictionary has a few entries dating back to 2003, saying it means you're both hardcore and old school at the same time. I had never heard the word before this song though.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

And the rehearsal of "Hard School" that we heard had a ton of groove to it (thanks, Duff) compared to the locker leak.

The locker leak didnt have a proper mix, and the live version will of course be raw and punchy. I don't think we should expect much based only on that snippet.