The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

22 minutes ago, Michael Van Gerwen said:

2006 leaks of I.R.S 99 and Hard School snippet (known as Checkmate back then) were from the same source right? so does this mean DJ Razz was sent rough mixes #3 from the village discs in 2006?

He also leaked 1999 Catcher, which sounded almost the same as the Rough Mix 1 Version, but missing one of the guitar tracks.

Also, the version of IRS he leaked had a police siren sound effect that is missing from the Rough Mix 3 Version, if I recall correctly.

11 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Was the Reddit post exactly 6 months ago? 

Meh, he could now always say that the plans have obviously changed because of the world situation, so... a no win situation for us. 

I know buddy, sucks for us. There’ll always be a million reasons why there’ll never be a new record. I say drop the fucker now digitally and then release physical copies with a special bonus addition once all this shit has blown over 

• Like 1

I woke up at 4 am just to head to my nearest record store. The line is huge! COVID or no COVID people are determined to buy this much anticipated release!

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Was the Reddit post exactly 6 months ago? 

Meh, he could now always say that the plans have obviously changed because of the world situation, so... a no win situation for us. 

Don't be ridiculous, the fact that the manager himself said we're getting a release on March, means it was all planned beforehand. I mean come on, the album has been in the making for over 10 years, surely they have worked it all out. Have some faith!

Edited by Sonic Reducer
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gavgnr said:

I know buddy, sucks for us. There’ll always be a million reasons why there’ll never be a new record. I say drop the fucker now digitally and then release physical copies with a special bonus addition once all this shit has blown over 

I'm coming more and more to the view that the one and only reason we don't have a new record is that there isn't one, or anything near it. Nothing but elusive comments and "ask me another question quick and let's move on" interview answers suggests anything is seriously happening. 

I hope they prove me wrong, but nothing but cold hard evidence of new material will do for me anymore. It's actually taken me a lot longer than most to get this point of view, but 'm sure everyone will eventually end up feeling the same as me. 

• Wow 1

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'm coming more and more to the view that the one and only reason we don't have a new record is that there isn't one, or anything near it. Nothing but elusive comments and "ask me another question quick and let's move on" interview answers suggests anything is seriously happening. 

I hope they prove me wrong, but nothing but cold hard evidence of new material will do for me anymore. It's actually taken me a lot longer than most to get this point of view, but 'm sure everyone will eventually end up feeling the same as me. 

no way of knowing cause they're not talking but I imagine the way Axl's process works (going by what he has said in the past about working on some shit then leaving it and working on something else and going back to it) is trying different things until something works and kinda add it to the pile. He worked with a list for Chinese like Josh Freese said. There were AAA/AA/A tunes. So perhaps more methodical in nature compared to getting in the same room and just jam with the band.

and they don't have to start from scratch. So maybe Axl lets everyone come up with ideas and send it to him and this time he'll give Slash/Duff/the rest of the band a chance to rework some Chinese era tunes he still deems as relevant and good enough to be included.

I always describe the Axl's slow motion way of doing it like putting together a musical puzzle. I don't think Axl starts with a clear vision of how it's supposed to sound like or a specific criteria. Maybe he knows it's right when he hears it but this time existing material can provide a quality standard and at least in part some direction for the band.

Slash must have worked on something in Axl's house. Could be anything, something Slash brought in like a riff or something Axl thought could work well with Slash's style on it so it can start from virtually anything and take shape later. My guess is they're still on "search" mode.

Edited by Rovim

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

no way of knowing cause they're not talking but I imagine the way Axl's process works (going by what he has said in the past about working on some shit then leaving it and working on something else and going back to it) is trying different things until something works and kinda add it to the pile. He worked with a list for Chinese like Josh Freese said. There were AAA/AA/A tunes. So perhaps more methodical in nature compared to getting in the same room and just jamming with the band.

and they don't have to start from scratch. So maybe Axl let's everyone come up with ideas and send it to him and this time he'll give Slash/Duff/the rest of the band a chance to rework some Chinese era tunes he still deems as relevant and good enough to be included.

I always describe the Axl's slow motion way of doing it like putting together a musical puzzle. I don't think Axl starts with a clear vision of how it's supposed to sound like or a specific criteria. Maybe he knows it's right when he hears it but this time existing material can provide a quality standard and at least in part some direction for the band.

Slash must have worked on something in Axl's house. Could be anything, something Slash brought in like a riff or something Axl thought could work well with Slash's style on it so it can start from virtually anything and take shape later. My guess is they're still on "search" mode.

As reasonable a load of 'maybes' as any....but I've just gone beyond the 'maybes' now! Hey, it took them a LONG time to push me there, but they did it! 

I think 'search mode' is probably a good description of what is going on.....and I don't think they're doing much 'searching'. 

Again though, I want to be proved wrong! 

Axl told the source that he is trying to figure out how he could make the most profit, without putting too much time and effort in it. It comes down to a few business decisions that they will have to make, which may take a few years (probably around 3 tot 25 years). 

• Haha 2

I think the fact that they have even bothered to rework hardchool says that stuff is happening, when we'll hear it is another matter, especially with this band (and the corona situation obviously). As I've said before though I am no longer expecting anything to actually happen, so I'll be excited when it does. 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

Not the right thread, but IRS leaked in April 1st 2004 (or 2005? can't remember). It was in a shitty quality because it was recorded with a cell phone from the Eddie Trunk show. Not only the audio quality sucked, but it was also comped together because the cell phone could only record just some snippets.

But that was the 1st "studio quality" demo we heard from the Chinese Democracy. Before that, aside from the live performances, we only had some very small snippets (The Blues, Madagascar and Chinese) in that 2002 tour promo, which a lot of people back then disputed and said it was just a soundboard record from some show. And well, back then, there were people also saying they had absolutely no material. I remember Slash saying he knew "for a fact" that Axl didnt record vocals for anything.

17 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Not the right thread, but IRS leaked in April 1st 2004 (or 2005? can't remember). It was in a shitty quality because it was recorded with a cell phone from the Eddie Trunk show. Not only the audio quality sucked, but it was also comped together because the cell phone could only record just some snippets.

But that was the 1st "studio quality" demo we heard from the Chinese Democracy. Before that, aside from the live performances, we only had some very small snippets (The Blues, Madagascar and Chinese) in that 2002 tour promo, which a lot of people back then disputed and said it was just a soundboard record from some show. And well, back then, there were people also saying they had absolutely no material. I remember Slash saying he knew "for a fact" that Axl didnt record vocals for anything.

I.R.S first leaked in 2005. The Boston tour promo was discussed and some people said it was too crisp to be just a soundboard recording from a live show. I thought that promo was well made. The announcer sounded ridiculous though.

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I.R.S first leaked in 2005. The Boston tour promo was discussed and some people said it was too crisp to be just a soundboard recording from a live show. I thought that promo was well made. The announcer sounded ridiculous though.

It's not just about being too crisp. It's the production, the sound signature. I always said it was studio recordings, but people were so in denial (just like today) that they just couldn't believe it. 

In some ways, it's like how it is today. Even when we do have material proof of unreleased material, this is still not enough to believe that there is *something* happening. Which, of course, doesn't mean a release is around the corner.

42 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It's not just about being too crisp. It's the production, the sound signature.

yeah I'm aware, just thought it was an interesting comment to mention from back then.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I wonder how slash knew?. Who was axl working with in terms of recordings around this time?? i doubt it was anyone in slashs circle 🤔

Perhaps Slash was referencing material he had worked on just prior to not being in GN'R? We all clearly know there were vocals done by '99, if not earlier. Almost two albums worth of songs with vocals by the end of 2000 based on The Village leaks.

Edited by Sweersa

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Perhaps Slash was referencing material he had worked on just prior to not being in GN'R? We all clearly know there were vocals done by '99, if not earlier. Almost two albums worth of songs with vocals by the end of 2000 based on The Village leaks.

I guess Slash didn't know anything and was just talking out of his ass. Maybe trying to put a bit pressure on Axl, since their break-up wasn't that friendly.  

• Like 1