Jump to content
jacdaniel

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Slash's riffs have been mediocre at best since Snakepit. On the last SMKC release only the melodic stuff (TGP & TOYLGA) was interesting.

Driving Rain and Mind Your Manners both had really cool, GNR-esque riffs. Slash can still bring it when he wants to.

 

Edited by Towelie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Driving Rain and Mind Your Manners both had really cool, GNR-esque riffs. Slash can still bring it when he wants to.

 

Funny how the same is often said about Axl, and, yet, I still don't believe it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So, to put things in perspective:

November 2018: Alan Niven says Slash told him in September 2018 Axl is picking out CD II songs to be featured on the new release

April 2019:Slash says they will begin to work on new album after the mini tour ends

April 2019: Slash records in Axl's home studio

November 2019: Mini tour ends

January 2020: Slash says there's "recording" going on

March 2020: Slash says he's been doing Guns stuff in the studio

Despite the delusions of some, it's very unlikely Axl is going to write new lyrics to new Slash/Duff compositions. In 2016 Axl made it clear the next album was going to be CD stuff whether Slash and Duff played on it or not. How long could Slash replacing Robin/Bucket parts possibly take? This has to be finished by next year if the guys are telling the truth, right?

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually it should not take that long if it was just replacing some parts. Unless they're doing a lot of stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Towelie said:

Driving Rain and Mind Your Manners both had really cool, GNR-esque riffs. Slash can still bring it when he wants to.

 

I agree. There's lots of cool riffs on that record and on all the SMKC stuff in general.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree. There's lots of cool riffs on that record and on all the SMKC stuff in general.

I haven't listened to much of SMKC stuff so I could be wrong, but based on what I've listened to of what people on here point to as their best works, Anastasia being one them, it seems that Slash has a lot of badass riffs that don't really translate into good songs. Honestly I don't think Myles writes good enough melodies to work with the riffs, and I don't think the riffs work as songs anyway or they need an Izzy tpye to work them into proper songs. Kind of reminds me of Slither but Slither works as a song cause of the great melodies. World on Fire (the song, haven't listened to the album) is amazing though in fairness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, registra said:

I haven't listened to much of SMKC stuff so I could be wrong, but based on what I've listened to of what people on here point to as their best works, Anastasia being one them, it seems that Slash has a lot of badass riffs that don't really translate into good songs. Honestly I don't think Myles writes good enough melodies to work with the riffs, and I don't think the riffs work as songs anyway or they need an Izzy tpye to work them into proper songs. Kind of reminds me of Slither but Slither works as a song cause of the great melodies. World on Fire (the song, haven't listened to the album) is amazing though in fairness.

If you think the song World On Fire is amazing you should give the album a listen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

So, to put things in perspective:

November 2018: Alan Niven says Slash told him in September 2018 Axl is picking out CD II songs to be featured on the new release

April 2019:Slash says they will begin to work on new album after the mini tour ends

April 2019: Slash records in Axl's home studio

November 2019: Mini tour ends

January 2020: Slash says there's "recording" going on

March 2020: Slash says he's been doing Guns stuff in the studio

Despite the delusions of some, it's very unlikely Axl is going to write new lyrics to new Slash/Duff compositions. In 2016 Axl made it clear the next album was going to be CD stuff whether Slash and Duff played on it or not. How long could Slash replacing Robin/Bucket parts possibly take? This has to be finished by next year if the guys are telling the truth, right?

What is very unlikely is, that there won't be any Slash and Duff credits on a new release if there's ever coming one. Of course there will be CD stuff but there's no evidence it will be just CD stuff. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I did the same thing not long ago. That's a really good album. 

I enjoyed the second VR album as well. I wish it included Messages. Why it was not on a physical release, blows my mind unless it was a legal reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I enjoyed the second VR album as well. I wish it included Messages. Why it was not on a physical release, blows my mind unless it was a legal reason.

I just couldn't get down with Libertad, but I couldn't agree more about Messages. I've never purchased the album, but I would have if it had Messages on it. I'd even over pay for the album on vinyl if it had that one song. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

What is very unlikely is, that there won't be any Slash and Duff credits on a new release if there's ever coming one. Of course there will be CD stuff but there's no evidence it will be just CD stuff. 

 

Of course they will have credits, as the other players parts will probably be mostly removed and replaced with new stuff written by them. When I say it's going to be CD stuff, I mean Axl's lyrics and melodies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

How long could Slash replacing Robin/Bucket parts possibly take? This has to be finished by next year if the guys are telling the truth, right?

Sure it depends on how much Axl is willing to change the original arrangement. But I guess Bumblefoot contributed to CD (with some heavy contribution, may I say) in 1,5 year as far as I remember. I presume he first recorded between the 2006 European and UK legs, and then throughout the NA Tour. Then, he would add more stuff in 2007, but that could also be for other unreleased songs like those from the 2011 album (Going Down, OMG, Silkworms..). The recording was finished in 2007. Axl and Caram finished the mix sometime mid 2008 I guess. 

Maybe @Blackstar could help with the exact quotes and/or dates, but the timeline is more or less like this. 

If Axl was already sending out songs and getting ideas / potential changes on arrangement in 2018, we could very well have everything done by now. 

Of course, a regular band could make a record from the scratch in less than that. I'm just considering the context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I enjoyed the second VR album as well. I wish it included Messages. Why it was not on a physical release, blows my mind unless it was a legal reason.

Messages is the best VR song out of them all imo. I think the reason it wasn't included on the final album might've had something to do with the fact that the opening of the song is a direct copy of the intro to Interstate Love Song. Same chords and same lead guitar part. Just my personal theory. It was madness that they left what was by far the best song on the album as a bonus track.

Edited by Towelie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can this thread be renamed "No New Album Thread" like someone suggested earlier? That way it doesn't hurt as much to click it everytime and expect some news

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Messages is the best VR song out of them all imo. I think the reason it wasn't included on the final album might've had something to do with the fact that the opening of the song is a direct copy of the intro to Interstate Love Song. Just my personal theory. It was madness that they left what was by far the best song on the album as a bonus track.

I agree, the song is heavy emotionally too, written from the perspective of a father trapped and doomed in the twin towers on 9/11 signing about his family/kids. I'm rarely an emotional man, but this song gets me.

19 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I just couldn't get down with Libertad, but I couldn't agree more about Messages. I've never purchased the album, but I would have if it had Messages on it. I'd even over pay for the album on vinyl if it had that one song. 

I liked The Last Fight. I'd pay good money for that too, even a 1 track CD single. (For Messages)

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I agree, the song is heavy emotionally too, written from the perspective of a father trapped and doomed in the twin towers on 9/11 signing about his family/kids. I'm rarely an emotional man, but this song gets me.

Yeah, it's goosebump-inducing for sure. Both Slash and Scott shine on Messages. It had the potential to lift a fairly underwhelming second album up a few notches, it was that good. 

This would've been a fairly good album imo:

1. Let It Roll

2. American Man

3. Mary Mary

4. The Last Fight

5. For A Brother

6. Spay

7. Messages

8. Pyscho Killer

9. Don't Drop That Dime

10. Gravedancer

Edited by Towelie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, it's goosebump-inducing for sure. Both Slash and Scott shine on Messages. It had the potential to lift a fairly underwhelming second album up a few notches, it was that good. 

As crazy as this sounds, I have thought of it being a good gesture to have that song (exactly as it is with Scott on vocals) added to a future GN'R record or EP seeing how Slash is in the band now. Would obviously be out of place, but nice to have it on a CD and would be respectful to Scott (RIP) and a "bridge" if you will between VR and GN'R. Though seeing how they are not with Geffen/UMG and with Sony or RCA if I'm not mistaken, that could be an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Where was Messages made available? I've never heard it.....

I think it was an itunes bonus track.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Where was Messages made available? I've never heard it.....

I don't remember where or if it was made available officially. I've always just heard it on YouTube. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Where was Messages made available? I've never heard it.....

It was released as an i-Tunes bonus track I believe. You've gotta hear it. One of the best songs Slash has done outside of Guns imo.

Edited by Towelie
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Messages is an amazing track. Totally forgot about that one as it’s not on any streaming platforms either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Towelie said:

It was released as an i-Tunes bonus track I believe. You've gotta hear it. One of the best songs Slash has done outside of Guns imo.

Just had a listen - great track. Amazed it didn't make a proper release. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×