The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Just now, allwaystired said:

Yeah of course. There's always the stuff from the past sitting there rotting away we'd love to hear! I've lost all hope of hearing that, other than if it leaks. 

it is frustrating to think Axl could have easily released the second half of Chinese tomorrow as is and then used the rest of the unreleased material to rework with Slash and write some new tunes as well and release that album 2 years from now with the current line up.

my guess is Axl will probably use the second half for parts and incorporate what can still work into an album with Slash, Duff, and Melissa.

I'm still optimistic. I believe we'll get 1 more album from this band. If they can't complete and release 1 album with all that talent then that will be shockingly pitiful.

Just now, Rovim said:

it is frustrating to think Axl could have easily released the second half of Chinese tomorrow as is and then used the rest of the unreleased material to rework with Slash and write some new tunes as well and release that album 2 years from now with the current line up.

my guess is Axl will probably use the second half for parts and incorporate what can still work into an album with Slash, Duff, and Melissa.

I'm still optimistic. I believe we'll get 1 more album from this band. If they can't complete and release 1 album with all that talent then that will be shockingly pitiful.

Yep. It really would be, to piss all that up the wall. 

I listen to the leaks and I think about all the stuff similar to that just sitting there gathering dust, left to rot rather than being used to show what this band are capable of, and it's a crying shame. All the ideas and creativity in there, all the potential it holds. Why that would be thrown aside in favour of years plodding through SCOM will never, ever make any sense to me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ratam said:

I just hope that Axl realize in soon enough time that incompetent people is to robery his money. I'm can't imagine experts managers to post in Reddit......it isn' t serious.

While yes TB are mostly incompetent having reddit interaction would actually be a move in a good direction.

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Probably also worth noting.....the Rolling Stones track they made available yesterday is now available to order from their website on CD and vinyl physical singles. And (shock! horror!) in the middle of the lockdown. 

So there's a 'release strategy' for you right there guys. One song. Done.  

Yep, a very easy strategy to roll out. I'd suggested it way back that they should announce an album, drop a single and then open pre-orders (possibly with gig tickets attached as that's a good unit mover).

But they won't.

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Oh I'm absolutely sure we'll get at least one more album out of this band "eventually".

The best thing for this band will be when the last of the Chinese sessions are used up and gone. That era is Axl's baby and it clearly means a lot to him, He's at pains to make the most of those sessions but that it way past being an albatross for GNR's creative output.

Once they're gone I think any future work would be much more free.

Edited by GNR_RNR

27 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I assumed from that he was just referring to their touring plans? 

Someone asked him if they needed to be touring when the album comes out and he said "no but it helps". This is Fernando though, so, you know. 

9 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I listen to the leaks and I think about all the stuff similar to that just sitting there gathering dust, left to rot rather than being used to show what this band are capable of, and it's a crying shame. All the ideas and creativity in there, all the potential it holds. Why that would be thrown aside in favour of years plodding through SCOM will never, ever make any sense to me. 

while I absolutely think it's sad and counter productive, I've been trying to understand it for a long time and I think Axl thinks of studio albums as one thing and touring as another. It seems like touring doesn't mean as much to him maybe but the Gn'R catalog is different.

don't think he wants to ruin his perfect streak with work he won't be proud of. It's just speculation but if it's true then he is missing the whole point of being an artist imo. You kill the spirit of creativity by overthinking it.

You release shit by not caring enough, but it is possible to find the balance between taking the time to work on something and rushing it and Axl never found it on his own with all the time and resources at his disposal imo.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

Just now, Rovim said:

while I absolutely think it's sad and counter productive, I've been trying to understand it for a long time and I think Axl thinks of studio albums as one thing and touring as another. It seems like touring doesn't mean as much to him maybe but the Gn'R catalog is different.

don't think he wants to ruin his perfect streak with work he won't be proud of. It's just speculation but if it's true then he is missing the whole point of being an artist imo. You kill the spirit of creativity by overthinking it.

You release shit by not caring enough, but there it is possible to find the balance between taking the time to work on something and rushing it and Axl never found it on his own with all the time and resources at his disposal imo.

That's an interesting take. I think it could be somewhere near the truth. I also think there's probably tremendous pressure on him to tour rather than record and focus on new material. No-one is making money from him if he's spending his time tinkering around in a studio. If he's on the road, lots of people are making money from him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Someone asked him if they needed to be touring when the album comes out and he said "no but it helps". This is Fernando though, so, you know. 

No way in hell GNR would be allowed to not tour a new album release. To this day I' surprised Axl didn't get sued to hell for smothering CD's release in it's sleep.

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I do think Axl cares far too much about the work he recorded. Sure it has produced some great songs on CD but the rate of release is just beyond what is acceptable. 

Him and Slash are literally the pottery experiment 

https://excellentjourney.net/2015/03/04/art-fear-the-ceramics-class-and-quantity-before-quality/

Both have created great works between 1993 and 2016 but it was certainly a better time to be a Slash fan.

4 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That's an interesting take. I think it could be somewhere near the truth. I also think there's probably tremendous pressure on him to tour rather than record and focus on new material. No-one is making money from him if he's spending his time tinkering around in a studio. If he's on the road, lots of people are making money from him. 

Very true. 

Also I would think UMG would say any additional recording or production would have to come out of their pocket (maybe a little leeway given for having Slash back).

8 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

true, a lot of people depend on Axl financially but you'd think with the half a billion $ they've generated now will be a good time to make the art the number 1 priority. They're not getting any younger, there's the pandemic, and a new Gn'R album will be a pretty good excuse to do another big tour.

I think there is also the pressure of coming up with a good enough album with the Gn'R name on it with Slash and Duff back in the line up but they took 4 years to tour and make money (with some breaks)

it just feels like the right time to focus on an album. There are no acceptable excuses left for the band to make anymore.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

true, a lot of people depend on Axl financially but you'd think with the half a billion $ they've generated now will be a good time to make the art the number 1 priority. They're not getting any younger, there's the pandemic, and a new Gn'R album will be a pretty good excuse to do another big tour.

I think there is also the pressure of coming up with a good enough album with the Gn'R name on it with Slash and Duff back in the line up but they took 4 years to tour and make money (with some breaks)

it just feels like the right time to focus on an album. There are no acceptable excuses for the band to make.

I imagine 'the art' features very low on a lot of people's agendas, if the cash is rolling in for them.

It's short-term thinking too - run them into the ground while the money is coming in, with no regard for the longer term. It's actually a scenario that's been borne out many times in the world of music. It's never ended well or prettily for the artists themselves. 

The capitalist dream! 

Edited by allwaystired

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I imagine 'the art' features very low on a lot of people's agendas, if the cash is rolling in for them.

It's short-term thinking too - run them into the ground while the money is coming in, with no regard for the longer term. It's actually a scenario that's been borne out many times in the world of music. It's never ended well or prettily for the artists themselves. 

The capitalist dream! 

Slash did manage to go to Axl's house with his guitar so maybe they worked on something and it's not a concentrated effort but instead they're trying to get a feel for it here and there.

I guess if albums would still make millions of dollars it would have been a different story, but I believe if Axl truly wants to do it, no one will stand in his way.

13 minutes ago, Zinia_29 said:

whoa this thread is getting hot suddenly! But why?

maybe when the posting rate increases and reaches a certain number, it's tagged as a "hot" thread.

14 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've got an episode of my podcast coming out tomorrow that's somewhat focused on GN'R. My co hosts no nothing of the online GNR community, so I explained it them by saying "the GN'R online community is a passionate bunch" haha. 

So much passion 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

....but so 'entitled' and with such 'unrealistic expectations'. 

Haha, it's insane to think that anyone actually thinks that about the fanbase. 

In any case, my comments about the fan case on the latest episode of my podcast are honestly from a place of love :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

Slash did manage to go to Axl's house with his guitar so maybe they worked on something and it's not a concentrated effort but instead they're trying to get a feel for it here and there.

Oh, don’t worry. He just went to his house to eat some enchiladas and rehearse some new covers. Along with Wichita Lineman of course.

:lol:

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

This is my view entirely. There's nothing to release. 

To be fair to them though, they haven't really used Covid-19 as an excuse - it's only some people on here that have done that. People have presumed that the coronavirus is the reason we're hearing nothing about new material. The band have continued entirely as normal! 

To be fair - we do now there is material (CD2/Village stuff) - but they choose not to release anything. Hell - some random demo or something.

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

100% agreed - it boggles the mind how much I clearly meant to him and to have Slash and Duff back to help him realise it...and nothing so far. Although the Hardschool footage shows that's what they appear to be doing. 

Edited by DTJ80

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

I guess if albums would still make millions of dollars it would have been a different story, but I believe if Axl truly wants to do it, no one will stand in his way.

maybe when the posting rate increases and reaches a certain number, it's tagged as a "hot" thread.

Albums may not male millions of dollars, but tours do! The NITL tour can last a year max, people are hearing the same setlist for 4 years! With no new music there's not this band can do anymore.

5 minutes ago, Legendador said:

Albums may not male millions of dollars, but tours do! The NITL tour can last a year max, people are hearing the same setlist for 4 years! With no new music there's not this band can do anymore.

agreed. Maybe now that touring is not an option for this year and beyond, Axl will actually use the time to get some shit done in the studio. Slash always stays busy. Can work on Axl's tunes and send him riffs to work on. Axl can focus on writing lyrics as well. There is a bunch of shit they can do and that goes for every band member in Gn'R.

1 minute ago, F*ck Fear said:

As far as I am concerned ' The New Album' is this..

Hardschool

State Of Grace

Perhaps

Atlas Shrugged

Silkworms 

I highly doubt a REAL new album will happen, so this makes a killer EP.

Yeah, in the absence of them officially releasing anything I'm happy we have what we have! 

Looks like if anything happens, it's going to be 2021, and lets face it! they'll balls that up too, so 2022? I just hope Bon Jovi gets their 2020 album out in 2020, that name doesn't age very well :P 

• Like 1