The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

21 hours ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

Can’t wait till this hits 200 pages with still no concrete news contributing to the topic

people waited for years for CD and when the album came out some people didn't even buy it, just added my 2 cents on the way to 200 pages

13 hours ago, Rovim said:

Fortus has a lot of feel as a player imo. Not just technical ability. This is so warm sounding and tasteful. One of the "real skills" is expressing emotion with your playing, not only writing memorable tunes. Not like Axl gave him a chance to show what he can do in Guns but I think Slash and Richard can be a killer combination in the studio.

That little jam sounded like he was getting ready to go into SOD

On 5/3/2020 at 7:24 PM, fowlerisgod said:

There are shitloads of technically skilled guitarists...take a look at youtube...the real skill comes from writing memorable songs, riffs, solos..making people emote...Fortus has no track record of doing that...it's absurd how he is highly rated by some on this forum

I don’t think anybody rates him high as a player with solid musical contributions, I think people are just saying his skill set is high enough to play rhythm guitar in GNR. Seriously, Gilby is cool AF to me and I loved the guy, but what has he done? Frank is maybe the only weak link and I believe Slash and Duff rehearsed with him until they felt comfortable to go on stage with him as the drummer.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:24 PM, fowlerisgod said:

There are shitloads of technically skilled guitarists...take a look at youtube...the real skill comes from writing memorable songs, riffs, solos..making people emote...Fortus has no track record of doing that...it's absurd how he is highly rated by some on this forum

I have shut off many youtube performances half way through due to his solos deflating a song...

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

He was on the Spaghetti Incident and most of Live Era. He was an instrumental part in making those acoustic sets as amazing as they were. His backing vocals are greatly underrated.  I know he never contributed to Gn'R original studio material but all the evidence we have shows that he could have definitely had some song writing chemistry with the band.. Slash especially. Vocals aside most people agree that the first Snakepit album kicked ass musically. That was Slash, Matt and Gilby... His first solo album featured Axl, Slash, Matt, Dizzy.. Maybe Duff too.  The songs he did with Slash on that record were great as well as the Dead Flowers cover with Axl. 

Unfortunately we will never know, but I think he could have continued to evolve flawlessly with the band.. 

And there are some great tunes on Pawnshop Guitars.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

He was on the Spaghetti Incident and most of Live Era. He was an instrumental part in making those acoustic sets as amazing as they were. His backing vocals are greatly underrated.  I know he never contributed to Gn'R original studio material but all the evidence we have shows that he could have definitely had some song writing chemistry with the band.. Slash especially. Vocals aside most people agree that the first Snakepit album kicked ass musically. That was Slash, Matt and Gilby... His first solo album featured Axl, Slash, Matt, Dizzy.. Maybe Duff too.  The songs he did with Slash on that record were great as well as the Dead Flowers cover with Axl. 

Unfortunately we will never know, but I think he could have continued to evolve flawlessly with the band.. 

Pretty much all of this above :headbang:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I agree. Love Gilby and I think he's a great songwriter and guitarist.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Totally agree i thought Gilby was a good replacement for Izzy it’s  just a pity Axl didn’t see it that way. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bassplayer1993 said:

Wow, 4tus hate outta nowhere? The guy is super respectful and does everything to make the BAND sound great and never tries to make it all about him, unlike some previous guitar players, especially ones with top hats who HAVEN'T performed on the classic albums. He actually adapted his gear and technique to better suit playing with Slash. Gilby did the same many years ago.

Do you know how annoying and embarassing it must be to change from your preferred gear to something completely different only so that another person can shine through in a band? Well they both took it like champs with no problems and never had any issues with it.

He's most of all a professional. He did not come from an "underground band making it big" background, but from "well known and respected session player" territory. He happened to have the right feel and find a great opportunity to do something that allows him to play music which is true to his roots with GNR. Funnily enough I remember him saying he never really liked GNR before he joined.

Dig into his material and you'll find many cool bits. Especially with the Compulsions if you don't believe in him as a rock player. The Dead Daisies were cool, but they're not really a band, just a rich Australian man living out his rock n' roll fantasy camp dreams with daddy's money. I lost interest in them the moment  the current lineup appeared, that was the moment where I understood that it never really was a band. And you can find my name in the credits of their last album with John Corabi... so yeah, was a fan.

And FFS... if you think he's an "Izzy lookalike" get better glasses. If every man with medium dark hair is an "Izzy lookalike" then I take it up to another level and say they're Ronnie Wood lookalikes. That statement is just as dumb.

To top it off, he's a nice and loyal guy. I've had the pleasure to talk to him once. Very respectful and kind. (Though out of GNR members I've talked to/exchanged messages with the highlights will always be Robin and Bumblefoot, who was the coolest guy ever, I feel bad that I hate his contributions to ChiDem because he's such a cool dude.)

Fortus is the right guy for the job. I hope he stays until GNR ends.

I don't really see any 'hate' to be honest. Just a discussion going on about his playing. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, bassplayer1993 said:

Wow, 4tus hate outta nowhere? The guy is super respectful and does everything to make the BAND sound great and never tries to make it all about him, unlike some previous guitar players, especially ones with top hats who HAVEN'T performed on the classic albums. He actually adapted his gear and technique to better suit playing with Slash. Gilby did the same many years ago.

Do you know how annoying and embarassing it must be to change from your preferred gear to something completely different only so that another person can shine through in a band? Well they both took it like champs with no problems and never had any issues with it.

He's most of all a professional. He did not come from an "underground band making it big" background, but from "well known and respected session player" territory. He happened to have the right feel and find a great opportunity to do something that allows him to play music which is true to his roots with GNR. Funnily enough I remember him saying he never really liked GNR before he joined.

Dig into his material and you'll find many cool bits. Especially with the Compulsions if you don't believe in him as a rock player. The Dead Daisies were cool, but they're not really a band, just a rich Australian man living out his rock n' roll fantasy camp dreams with daddy's money. I lost interest in them the moment  the current lineup appeared, that was the moment where I understood that it never really was a band. And you can find my name in the credits of their last album with John Corabi... so yeah, was a fan.

And FFS... if you think he's an "Izzy lookalike" get better glasses. If every man with medium dark hair is an "Izzy lookalike" then I take it up to another level and say they're Ronnie Wood lookalikes. That statement is just as dumb.

To top it off, he's a nice and loyal guy. I've had the pleasure to talk to him once. Very respectful and kind. (Though out of GNR members I've talked to/exchanged messages with the highlights will always be Robin and Bumblefoot, who was the coolest guy ever, I feel bad that I hate his contributions to ChiDem because he's such a cool dude.)

Fortus is the right guy for the job. I hope he stays until GNR ends.

I met him once, he seemed cool but didn't really wanted to talk a lot. 

He also played some cool leads on Tommy Stinson's Village Gorilla Head, which is an excellent album. 

How was your talk/messaging with Robin?

• Like 1