jacdaniel

The "New Album" Thread - Susan McKagan says album is coming

Fortus doesn't have the back catalogue or iconic stature of Slash, but he is undoubtedly on a par with him in terms of skill, to the extent that I'm actually surprised Slash is comfortable being in a band with another player who could easily match him playing lead. They've got a great symbiosis though. 

7 hours ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

Can’t wait till this hits 200 pages with still no concrete news contributing to the topic

Hey, as the Fox News slogan should be, "No news is good news" 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fowlerisgod said:

There are shitloads of technically skilled guitarists...take a look at youtube...the real skill comes from writing memorable songs, riffs, solos..making people emote...Fortus has no track record of doing that...it's absurd how he is highly rated by some on this forum

I agree 100%.

• Like 1

Fortus made a great job in Love Spit Love. Frank played drums there as well. But I have no idea if he composed anything after LSL 

21 hours ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

Can’t wait till this hits 200 pages with still no concrete news contributing to the topic

people waited for years for CD and when the album came out some people didn't even buy it, just added my 2 cents on the way to 200 pages

13 hours ago, Rovim said:

Fortus has a lot of feel as a player imo. Not just technical ability. This is so warm sounding and tasteful. One of the "real skills" is expressing emotion with your playing, not only writing memorable tunes. Not like Axl gave him a chance to show what he can do in Guns but I think Slash and Richard can be a killer combination in the studio.

That little jam sounded like he was getting ready to go into SOD

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

people waited for years for CD and when the album came out some people didn't even buy it, just added my 2 cents on the way to 200 pages

Naughty little scamps. 

7 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

That little jam sounded like he was getting ready to go into SOD

Nah, it went into Beautiful by Christina Aguilera ❤️ can't post it though. 

10 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Best from a skill level standpoint, not a celeb iconic standpoint. 

To this date Richard Fortus didn't create on single memorable solo. A random cover band guitarist can play better stuff. Watch 3:20.

Slash is mit only iconic because of his look, his solos in his prime were like a second voice next to Axl. Just epic stuff.

Robin Finck was in his primein 2006. He was the 2nd best guitarist GnR ever had. Perfect skills doesn't make a great guitarist. Steve Vai and others are boring as fuck. The perfect match for Slash was Gilby live and Izzy in studio. A combo of Slash / Finck and Ashba / Slash could have worked, too.

Fortus is an excellent technical guitar player. He has a nice style and tone, and a personality that meshes well with Axl Slash and Duff. That is more than enough for what they need in a non-Izzy guitarist.

On 03/05/2020 at 6:13 PM, Gimpy Hewitt said:

Imagine how thrilled you'll be when we get to 300! 

• Haha 2

On 5/3/2020 at 7:24 PM, fowlerisgod said:

There are shitloads of technically skilled guitarists...take a look at youtube...the real skill comes from writing memorable songs, riffs, solos..making people emote...Fortus has no track record of doing that...it's absurd how he is highly rated by some on this forum

I don’t think anybody rates him high as a player with solid musical contributions, I think people are just saying his skill set is high enough to play rhythm guitar in GNR. Seriously, Gilby is cool AF to me and I loved the guy, but what has he done? Frank is maybe the only weak link and I believe Slash and Duff rehearsed with him until they felt comfortable to go on stage with him as the drummer.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:24 PM, fowlerisgod said:

I have shut off many youtube performances half way through due to his solos deflating a song...

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

He was on the Spaghetti Incident and most of Live Era. He was an instrumental part in making those acoustic sets as amazing as they were. His backing vocals are greatly underrated.  I know he never contributed to Gn'R original studio material but all the evidence we have shows that he could have definitely had some song writing chemistry with the band.. Slash especially. Vocals aside most people agree that the first Snakepit album kicked ass musically. That was Slash, Matt and Gilby... His first solo album featured Axl, Slash, Matt, Dizzy.. Maybe Duff too.  The songs he did with Slash on that record were great as well as the Dead Flowers cover with Axl. 

Unfortunately we will never know, but I think he could have continued to evolve flawlessly with the band.. 

And there are some great tunes on Pawnshop Guitars.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

He was on the Spaghetti Incident and most of Live Era. He was an instrumental part in making those acoustic sets as amazing as they were. His backing vocals are greatly underrated.  I know he never contributed to Gn'R original studio material but all the evidence we have shows that he could have definitely had some song writing chemistry with the band.. Slash especially. Vocals aside most people agree that the first Snakepit album kicked ass musically. That was Slash, Matt and Gilby... His first solo album featured Axl, Slash, Matt, Dizzy.. Maybe Duff too.  The songs he did with Slash on that record were great as well as the Dead Flowers cover with Axl. 

Unfortunately we will never know, but I think he could have continued to evolve flawlessly with the band.. 

Pretty much all of this above :headbang:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I agree. Love Gilby and I think he's a great songwriter and guitarist.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Totally agree i thought Gilby was a good replacement for Izzy it’s  just a pity Axl didn’t see it that way. 

• Like 1

I'm wondering,  when this thread finally turns into this 'who is "real Gn'R" ' crap discussion. 😉 

I think we are very close...

8 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Seriously, Gilby is cool AF to me and I loved the guy, but what has he done? 

He made look Slash even bigger. His sound fits better than Fortus'. I never got Axl's idea to install Zakk Wylde or Huge next to Slash. It could have only worked if the other guitarist would have sounded like Slash himself.

Check out Gilby in Argentina 2015 or this one. Gilby simply has the GnR sound. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZODIAC said:

I'm wondering,  when this thread finally turns into this 'who is "real Gn'R" ' crap discussion. 😉 

I think we are very close...

Most threads go down that route eventually!