The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

4 hours ago, alangarcianr said:

Myles is a great singer but he’s been taking care a lot of his voice in the SMKC shows, maybe saving it for recording with Alter Bridge. He’s avoiding lots of high notes and singing them in a lower register 

... which was really comfortable for my ears when I saw them last year 

4 hours ago, dragan1978 said:

Myles is a fantastic guitar player and has absolutely great vocal, no question about it!!!

and I do understand if you do not like it, it is alright

just wanted to say anything positive about Myles as you all just bitch about him

Agreed. I think some of the harsher criticism of Myles on this board comes from people who are upset that their favorite frontman sings like Mickey Mouse now. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MidnightToker said:

Agreed. I think some of the harsher criticism of Myles on this board comes from people who are upset that their favorite frontman sings like Mickey Mouse now. 

He sings like Mickey Mouse on a good day, now.

Not that I could do any better.

• Like 1

I always never minded Myles vocally, he has a good range and sounds good with the material IMO

My main issue with SMKC is more the songwriting.  Songs like Anastasia are amazing and memorable, but to my ears songs like those have been an occasional instance rather than the norm.  Most of the SMKC material kind of all blends together in my mind and so many of the songs are just like "Generic Slash riff and chords #1", "Generic Slash riff and chords #2", etc.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Why is the "New Album" thread full of talk about Slash's solo band & Myles Kennedy's singing???? 

Because Axl is that bad... I was just trying to watch the Download performance again and his voice is just so unappealing.. It was actually a relief to hear Duff sing a song lol. The footage is top notch but Slash and Duff are the only ones worth paying attention to. Helps to drown out his voice a bit..

• Like 3

17 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

The whole SMKC project seems like the nuisance for a new GN'R record. That's why it feels like a drag to see another record from them before we get anything from GN'R. But SMKC isn't the actual problem, it's more of an escape for Slash to release anything new at all. The real delay is Axl & probably TB. Well I don't think TB would wanna delay a new record, a new record means more gain for them financially. 

At this point Slash will always go back to SMKC because he loves the guys and the control he has over everything that happens in the band. I also view it as "I'm going to go do this thing because I get to work at my rate, and not wait around". If GNR was firing on all cylinders Slash would row in, he loves to be busy and creating he would love to do that with GNR and make quadruple what he does from a SMKC tour.

• Like 1

John Frusciante just confirmed that the Chili Peppers will be recording their new album starting next week and into next month.

Even a recluse like Frusciante is getting shit done with his band, while also working on two different solo albums and even a radio show now. Axl has no excuse!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

John Frusciante just confirmed that the Chili Peppers will be recording their new album starting next week and into next month.

Even a recluse like Frusciante is getting shit done with his band, while also working on two different solo albums and even a radio show now. Axl has no excuse!

As much as he’s a recluse, he’s no slouch, a very hardworking dude, unlike somebody we know lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree. And for the people saying that they don't like the SMKC songs because they're too generic or whatever, I guarantee that if it were Axl singing on some of those songs and they were released under the GnR name you all would be all over them.

But thats exactly due to the Axl effect...He makes everything he sings on better.

You just said it right there...if Myles sings it we overlook it, if Axls there, well, the song becomes better immediatly

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree. And for the people saying that they don't like the SMKC songs because they're too generic or whatever, I guarantee that if it were Axl singing on some of those songs and they were released under the GnR name you all would be all over them.

It depends, would Axl be keeping the same vocal melodies as Myles had?  If so, I don't know if I would be impressed too much.  I am not a fan of Shotgun Blues for example, for that very reason - just a very paint by numbers GNR song that just is a bit forgettable in my opinion

But if Axl re-writes a melody that turns "Generic Slash riff song #1" into a more memorable tune overall I would say Axl-ifying it would make it all the more better.  Or if GNR takes Slash's initial idea and adds onto it like the band did back in the day

At least for myself, I don't consider me thinking that the songwriting in SMKC is lacking overall, to be a double standard in that sense.  My main gripe is the generic songwriting, not how Myles sings the songs tonally

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

But thats exactly due to the Axl effect...He makes everything he sings on better.

You just said it right there...if Myles sings it we overlook it, if Axls there, well, the song becomes better immediatly

Not when he's doing Mickey Mouse, then it's not better.

36 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Not when he's doing Mickey Mouse, then it's not better.

Of course it's not becoming better immediatly when Axl is singing something. So many CD songs already proofed that.

But I tend to believe that there is (or was) some kind of chemistry between Axl and Slash, that Axl is just the better fit for him. I said it earlier, I love many songs Slash has written and released over the last 3 decades, but I think Axl and Izzy could have improved all of them.

Axl's work ethic is another story...

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Link? 

On 6/21/2020 at 4:54 AM, Blackstar said:

I read that Myles is working on a new solo album currently - and, logically, he'll want to tour it when tours start again. So, I guess, there are no plans for SMKC in the near future (I won't pretend that I'm unhappy about this :D).

He confirmed it on Download TV. He said he has two albums basically written but hadn't decided which one he would be putting out. I for one quite enjoy SMKC but Myles solo show that I saw was frankly just a little bit better than that SMKC show I saw so I'm okay if it means another Myles solo tour. 

On 6/4/2020 at 9:50 PM, Live Like a Suicide said:

It's like Groundhog Day in here.

Groundhog Day was adapted into a broadway musical, for which there is an official cast album recording. Basically what I'm saying is Groundhog Day resulted in new music faster than GN'R.

• GNFNR 1