The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

17 hours ago, dragan1978 said:

Myles is a fantastic guitar player and has absolutely great vocal, no question about it!!!

and I do understand if you do not like it, it is alright

just wanted to say anything positive about Myles as you all just bitch about him

Totally agree.

To preface, I am as hardcore a GN'R fan as anyone. IMO vintage AXL is the best rock & roll voice I've ever heard.

I had no clue who Myles Kennedy was until I went to one of SLASH's shows in 2010 at the Warfield Theater in SF for his solo album. At the show I then realized, "ok this is the guy that sings Starlight and Back to Cali". Which just happened to be among my favorite songs on that album.

After the show, I began investigating and listening to Alter Bridge, who I was only luke warm to for a while. But over time, I've grown to really love AB and, by proxy, Myles.

I've enjoyed each of the SMKC albums released to this point in time.

Myles isn't vintage AXL, of course. But I still really like his vocals on most songs. Like any vocalist, there are songs I'm not wild about. But on the whole he is very good IMO. When singing GN'R tunes, he offers a different (not equal, certainly not better) spin on the material. I'm very ok with it. I even like when Todd 'Dammit' Kerns sings WTTJ. It's different. And not terrible.

In reality, folks complaining about Myles singing GN'R material is no different than AC/DC fans complaining about AXL singing AC/DC's catalogue. While many were pleasantly surprised at the result, they still greatly prefer Brian Johnson. And rightfully so.

The other thing about Myles is that I greatly appreciate his guitar work. He's very underrated in that regard. His portion of the solo on Blackbird is phenomenal, as is Tremonti's. I really think he and SLASH work well together as guitarists and musicians. I greatly prefer AXl and SLASH, but in a world where we can have both, I'm quite alright with it.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, thunderram said:

Totally agree.

To preface, I am as hardcore a GN'R fan as anyone. IMO vintage AXL is the best rock & roll voice I've ever heard.

I had no clue who Myles Kennedy was until I went to one of SLASH's shows in 2010 at the Warfield Theater in SF for his solo album. At the show I then realized, "ok this is the guy that sings Starlight and Back to Cali". Which just happened to be among my favorite songs on that album.

After the show, I began investigating and listening to Alter Bridge, who I was only luke warm to for a while. But over time, I've grown to really love AB and, by proxy, Myles.

I've enjoyed each of the SMKC albums released to this point in time.

Myles isn't vintage AXL, of course. But I still really like his vocals on most songs. Like any vocalist, there are songs I'm not wild about. But on the whole he is very good IMO. When singing GN'R tunes, he offers a different (not equal, certainly not better) spin on the material. I'm very ok with it. I even like when Todd 'Dammit' Kerns sings WTTJ. It's different. And not terrible.

In reality, folks complaining about Myles singing GN'R material is no different than AC/DC fans complaining about AXL singing AC/DC's catalogue. While many were pleasantly surprised at the result, they still greatly prefer Brian Johnson. And rightfully so.

The other thing about Myles is that I greatly appreciate his guitar work. He's very underrated in that regard. His portion of the solo on Blackbird is phenomenal, as is Tremonti's. I really think he and SLASH work well together as guitarists and musicians. I greatly prefer AXl and SLASH, but in a world where we can have both, I'm quite alright with it.

Totally support your post :)

also, when I found about Alter bridge, it was a slow grower too but now it is in my top 5 bands, they are amazing!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

John Frusciante just confirmed that the Chili Peppers will be recording their new album starting next week and into next month.

Even a recluse like Frusciante is getting shit done with his band, while also working on two different solo albums and even a radio show now. Axl has no excuse!

Fernandos response "we're not RHCP, there are different circumstances at play" he didn't actually say that, but it's his cut and paste BS response to anything related to actually getting new music out.

As for Axl, I don't count he works on material... but I'm starting to think it's just another Prince vault thing, where he records for his own pleasure without intent of releasing anything, or if he does release something it needs to be the exact right time and band surrounding him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Myles is also very prolific - since 2004 he's released 6 Alter Bridge albums, 4 live Alter Bridge albums, 3 SMKC albums, 3 live SMKC albums, a solo album, and regularly toured all the above.

I was about to say this too. Myles has released 10 studio albums compared to one GNR album in the same time period. At least he delivers for his fans, unlike a certain other singer who seems to enjoy trolling his. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

They’re more energetic when Frusciante is around though!

Sorry! Not trying to shit on them, but I've watched them with Frusciante and and it's hit and miss. Anthony looks like he'd like to be anywhere but on stage a lot of the time, reminds me of Axl dragging his feet at the 02 in Dublin 2010. When I saw them in 2018, Flea was doing his schtick, and the rest of the band just looked bored... and completely separate from each other... didn't seem like there was much love, and almost zero interaction with each other. I remember when they used to be fun and energetic. The music they play just doesn't work if they are up their gritting their teeth until the end.

I love some of their music, and some of their live stuff from the early 90s late 80s was great, but they are an energy void for me!

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Sorry! Not trying to shit on them, but I've watched them with Frusciante and and it's hit and miss. Anthony looks like he'd like to be anywhere but on stage a lot of the time, reminds me of Axl dragging his feet at the 02 in Dublin 2010. When I saw them in 2018, Flea was doing his schtick, and the rest of the band just looked bored... and completely separate from each other... didn't seem like there was much love, and almost zero interaction with each other. I remember when they used to be fun and energetic. The music they play just doesn't work if they are up their gritting their teeth until the end.

I love some of their music, and some of their live stuff from the early 90s late 80s was great, but they are an energy void for me!

They were a more exciting live band in the late 80s and early 90s, I’ll give you that! I think a lot of it just has to do with age, tho. GnR look kinda bored these days too, to be fair.

Edited by rocknroll41

14 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

They were a more exciting live band in the late 80s and early 90s, I’ll give you that! I think a lot of it just has to do with age, tho. GnR look kinda bored these days too, to be fair.

Well at points every band is going to look a bit bored especially after 4 years of mostly the same songs. A gnr concert from 93 compared to now in terms of showmanship is relatively the same as a concert in 2020. As far as the actual musical bits go, that's another story. Kiedis is also flat as a pancake live, he makes JBJ look like an opera singer... but in his favour he still sounds like the records, which Axl is definitely struggling with.

Same goes for Pearl Jam! the music has all this energy and then you look on stage, there's zero in stage show, the band members look like they just finished their shift at the local college.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Myles is also very prolific - since 2004 he's released 6 Alter Bridge albums, 4 live Alter Bridge albums, 3 SMKC albums, 3 live SMKC albums, a solo album, and regularly toured all the above.

Not to mention wrote and recorded another solo album which he shelved and because he believes songs have a shelf life he won't release it. (Wrote 2 more during quarantine). In addition to 2 albums with The Mayfield Four in 1999 and 2002 which aren't half bad albums either!

He is quite the workhorse.

Edited by The Dissident
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 8:47 PM, MaskingApathy said:

I agree. And for the people saying that they don't like the SMKC songs because they're too generic or whatever, I guarantee that if it were Axl singing on some of those songs and they were released under the GnR name you all would be all over them.

Slash with Myles Kennedy reminds be of Black Sabbath with Tony Martin. Kennedy, like Martin, is technically a very good singer, but there are a lot of good singers out there. Both Martin and Kennedy are just really, really generic, there's nothing special about either one. I also think Kennedy is a much better fit in Alter Bridge. I'd take Axl in 2020 over Myles and it's not even close and I would never compare the two. 

If Axl sang on those SMKC albums it would be a huge improvement, but I think Axll and the rest of the band would work with the material and make it even better. 

Edited by RichardNixon

9 minutes ago, RichardNixon said:

If Axl sang on those SMKC albums it would be a huge improvement, but I think Axll and the rest of the band would work with the material and make it even better. 

Slash's 2008 solo album is pretty much his only solo work (non GN'R or VR) I enjoy. Nothing against the talented vocalists on that album, but I always thought it would have been killer with Axl on most of those songs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Slash's 2008 solo album is pretty much his only solo work (non GN'R or VR) I enjoy. Nothing against the talented vocalists on that album, but I always thought it would have been killer with Axl on most of those songs. 

To he fair with Josh drumming on that album there was more members of "Guns n Roses" on that album than there was in Guns n Roses by that point, as even MK2-3 Guns (Bucket lineup etc) had moved into MK4-5. 

Edit: Ain't Life Grand is a fantastic album, check that out.

Edited by ToonGuns
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

To he fair with Josh drumming on that album there was more members of "Guns n Roses" on that album than there was in Guns n Roses by that point, as even MK2-3 Guns (Bucket lineup etc) had moved into MK4-5. 

Edit: Ain't Life Grand is a fantastic album, check that out.

Will do, thanks! I had no idea Josh Freese was the drummer on Slash. So awesome!

After they get CD2 (or whatever) out, hopefully they make some great new stuff together.

28 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Will do, thanks! I had no idea Josh Freese was the drummer on Slash. So awesome!

After they get CD2 (or whatever) out, hopefully they make some great new stuff together.

Even Duff played on one song from memory!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Even Duff played on one song from memory!

That's not so surprising when you consider his friendship with Slash. Josh Freese, on the other hand, was a member of the CD recording process. 

36 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

The only place we'll get is an institute. 

I've always thought this is one here, damn, at the wrong place the whole time.

Edited by EricA