The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

6 hours ago, downzy said:

It was a twelve year gap between Axl's fax to MTV regarding Slash's departure from the band to the release of Chinese Democracy.

It's almost been a twelve year gap between the release of Chinese Democracy and today.

'96 to '08 felt like an eternity.  '08 feels not too long ago.  

08 plus allow for a medium 2yr tour cycle, and maybe a year off. Worst case scenario should have been album in 2015.

But yes, the time is almost the same! I guess he likes taking 12+ years to mull over material.

Problem is, unless he's writing in a vacuum where no other music is influencing him, whatever he writes and then releases 10+ years later is going to sound incredibly dated, like that god awful macdaddy, or even the slightly better but equally confused Hardschool! 

• Like 1

Within in the four years of 1987 to 1991 we got AFD, Lies, UYI I & II and B-Sides.

Within the four years of 2016 to 2020 we got a polished track originally released as a B-Side in 1991 but being presented as a „brand new single“ to us in 2018. 

This whole „reunion“ has become such an unbelievable joke. Honestly, I wish they had not reunited. Yes, I had some fun at the two NITL shows I joined. But this fun of around six hours in no way does outweight all the frustration and bullshit of the remaining four years.

After four years of the reunion I can clearly state that my 30 years lasting love for this band has heavily faded. NITL I would have thought this could happen one day. Well, GNR (or what is left) proved me wrong. Congratulations!

Edited by zigzagbigbag
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Within in the four years of 1987 to 1991 we got AFD, Lies, UYI I & II and B-Sides.

Within the four years of 2016 to 2020 we got a polished track originally released as a B-Side in 1991 but being presented as a „brand new single“ to us in 2018. 

B-sides. Plural?

SOYL fair enough. But what else? A few live cuts?

Yes, indeed the live cuts.

You are right,GNR has never been a typical B-Side band but back then there have been a few tracks released out of the full length album circle, eg Brownstone alt. mix, Don’t Cry demo, KHOD (Soundtrack version) or Civil War on a charity compilation one year prior to its album release. 

Edited by zigzagbigbag

20 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Yes, indeed the live cuts.

You are right,GNR has never been a typical B-Side band but back then there have been a few tracks released out of the full length album circle, eg Brownstone alt. mix, Don’t Cry demo, KHOD (Soundtrack version) or Civil War on a charity compilation one year prior to its album release. 

I just wish they were more like Oasis in the early years. Used to love their CD singles- 4 tracks, album quality. It meant for a typical album you would get 20-25 songs (13 track album + 12 b sides). Mansun was another band with great b sides.

16 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I just wish they were more like Oasis in the early years. Used to love their CD singles- 4 tracks, album quality. It meant for a typical album you would get 20-25 songs (13 track album + 12 b sides). Mansun was another band with great b sides.

Dude, besides GNR Oasis is my fav band of all time 😄

They were the kings of b-sides, especially in the 90ies. But to be fair, I don’t expect any band to be that extreme in terms of b/sides like Oasis. But at least every band should offer a little bit as long as they release physical singles. 

Interesting side fact regarding Oasis: I read somewhere that they had to cut down the amount of b-sides from 3 to 2 during the times of the Standing LP because of a change of the single chart regulations in the UK. In specific, allegedly 4 track releases did no longer count as singles but as EPs. Hence, if they wanted to chart with a single the physical release was not allowed to have more than 3 tracks in total. 

Edited by zigzagbigbag
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

They were the kings of b-sides, especially in the 90ies. But to be fair, I don’t expect any band to be that extreme in terms of b/sides like Oasis. But at least every band should offer a little bit as long as they release physical singles. 

Interesting side fact regarding Oasis: I read somewhere that they had to cut down the amount of b-sides from 3 to 2 during the times of the Standing LP because of a change of the single chart regulations in the UK. In specific, allegedly 4 track releases did no longer count as singles but as EPs. Hence, if they wanted to chart with a single the physical release was not allowed to have more than 3 tracks in total. 

I don't agree, I actually prefer bands to just release their main LP and a minimum amount of b-sides.. I think Oasis's quality standards are questionable, not to shit on your favourite band, that's just my opinion on their music... obviously lots of people love them though.

6 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't agree, I actually prefer bands to just release their main LP and a minimum amount of b-sides.. I think Oasis's quality standards are questionable, not to shit on your favourite band, that's just my opinion on their music... obviously lots of people love them though.

Yeah, everyone talks about the quality of their bsides, but almost all of their albums bar one are wildly inconsistent and full of filler. Bands/artists should only release bsides if they have enough quality material for their main albums imo.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

I'm with you! 

That's true about the change from 4 to 3 tracks. I think there was a drop off in b-side quality around the Standing time anyway though. They weren't bad songs....just clearly b-sides, whereas up to that point their b-sides were the rival, or better, of any a-side or album track. 

GNR have always been a remarkably bad b-sides band! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm with you! 

That's true about the change from 4 to 3 tracks. I think there was a drop off in b-side quality around the Standing time anyway though. They weren't bad songs....just clearly b-sides, whereas up to that point their b-sides were the rival, or better, of any a-side or album track. 

GNR have always been a remarkably bad b-sides band! 

There are arguably no true GNR b-sides because the SOYL was the only one that was and now it’s been released as a single.

47 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

There are arguably no true GNR b-sides because the SOYL was the only one that was and now it’s been released as a single.

The only other one I can think of would be the B-side to Jungle on vinyl being Whole Lotta Rosie live which also ended up on the Live From The Jungle EP, and that is just a live cover of an AC/DC tune anyways

I am now imagining a world where GNR used the B-sides to their singles as a way to put out tunes like Just Another Sunday that wouldn't have necessarily fit the albums they came out with and man that is yet another hugely missed opportunity for the band over the years

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, everyone talks about the quality of their bsides, but almost all of their albums bar one are wildly inconsistent and full of filler. Bands/artists should only release bsides if they have enough quality material for their main albums imo.

Yeah I agree! B-sides are great for deluxe editions. Like I love some of the deluxe edition b-sides on The Darkness albums, some of which I would have said were even better than some of the album songs!. 

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

That's a bit harsh...Definitely Maybe and What's the Story are all killer no filler....I fucking love the obnoxious cocaine fueled Be Here Now...My Big Mouth is incredible, Dont Believe The Truth was great as well..

Edited by fowlerisgod
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah I agree! B-sides are great for deluxe editions. Like I love some of the deluxe edition b-sides on The Darkness albums, some of which I would have said were even better than some of the album songs!. 

Oh no! Now you've let yourself down here with The Darkness! 

I absolutely dread to think what The Darkness rejected for their albums given some of the stuff they seemed to think acceptable for singles! I'm still recovering from hearing their 'comedy' Christmas song! 

Definitely not my cup of tea! I've just got a passionate dislike of any of these 'ironic' and 'funny' metal bands that popped up- Steel Panther etc.

Each to their own though....and at least they all seem to release new music. So the joke is on clowns like me, still clinging onto the idea that someone might make a classic rock I like ever again! Ha! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

The only other one I can think of would be the B-side to Jungle on vinyl being Whole Lotta Rosie live which also ended up on the Live From The Jungle EP, and that is just a live cover of an AC/DC tune anyways

I am now imagining a world where GNR used the B-sides to their singles as a way to put out tunes like Just Another Sunday that wouldn't have necessarily fit the albums they came out with and man that is yet another hugely missed opportunity for the band over the years

I forgot about Rosie cuz I listen to the NITL version so much lol.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:47 PM, zigzagbigbag said:

This whole „reunion“ has become such an unbelievable joke. Honestly, I wish they had not reunited. Yes, I had some fun at the two NITL shows I joined. But this fun of around six hours in no way does outweight all the frustration and bullshit of the remaining four years.

After four years of the reunion I can clearly state that my 30 years lasting love for this band has heavily faded. NITL I would have thought this could happen one day. Well, GNR (or what is left) proved me wrong. Congratulations!

I'm still glad they reunited but I wish they had ended the tour after 2017. Maybe made an effort to get Izzy and Steven for the AFD 30th anniversary, then moved on to something new. 

I agree with the last paragraph, I feel the same way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Oh no! Now you've let yourself down here with The Darkness! 

I absolutely dread to think what The Darkness rejected for their albums given some of the stuff they seemed to think acceptable for singles! I'm still recovering from hearing their 'comedy' Christmas song! 

Definitely not my cup of tea! I've just got a passionate dislike of any of these 'ironic' and 'funny' metal bands that popped up- Steel Panther etc.

Each to their own though....and at least they all seem to release new music. So the joke is on clowns like me, still clinging onto the idea that someone might make a classic rock I like ever again! Ha! 

I love Steel Panther but I don't like the Darkness, partially because of the guy's voice but also because I think their songs are just straight up stupid. Steel Panther is 100x better imo.