The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

34 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

Of course it would be. What we heard on Rough Mixes are like the title says just early demos. And think about how many people even heard it.. Few thousands propably, maybe a little bit more but GNR fanbase is so large that it means nothing. And Hardschool is cool af, I don’t think they could do something better than this considering SMKC and Tenderness

I wouldn’t mix it with Slash’s solo. These guys undoubtedly had – and I believe they still have – some special chemistry, it’s different. And as much as I like HS (one of the best ones off the Village), what you’re saying still doesn’t change anything about the fact that it would be better if they released a completely new song rather than a revamped 20-year old track. Casual fans might not know the song, but the information would spread immediately, wouldn’t it? "Can’t the band come up with something new?" Etc. No point.

23 minutes ago, Lio said:

Hardschool is new. Who cares when it was written? Plus relatively very few people have heard it.

Don't Cry was written and performed in the 80s. No one was crying about that being an old song when it came out early 90s.

Seriously, people who would complain about Hardschool being on a release just like to complain.

Honestly, i don't mind Hardschool, and i think it would be great if they trimmed it down a bit for an official release.

I can't believe the optimism. Its no different to any other year over the last decade, in fact prior to the reunion we actually had more reason to believe an album was on its way as multiple members were saying they were recording, rather then just vague comments from Fortus we get now

7 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I can't believe the optimism. Its no different to any other year over the last decade, in fact prior to the reunion we actually had more reason to believe an album was on its way as multiple members were saying they were recording, rather then just vague comments from Fortus we get now

Did we though?

Bumble made it clear how unhappy he was in the band. Even predating the last Vegas residency.

Pitman's infamous claim that "Guns N' Roses doesn't need to release music"

It just all pointed towards that band deteriorating. To be honest, it's maybe a blessing in disguise that it did because I don't know how everyone else would feel, but I would be sickened for a Guns N' Roses album to be released with DJ Ashba's guitar parts replacing Robin Finck's. Axl has made it clear in the past how much a big setback it was to have these guys that he was a nobody with up and leave him. We know as early as 2016 he let Slash and Duff hear the music he had recorded, so his intentions in the long run were clear early doors. Putting aside my frustrations with stale setlists and no communication, I'd say it's safe to say that Axl is a lot more comfortable creating music with Duff and Slash than he is with Bumble and DJ. I really liked Bumble, but I'm not a big fan of his solo material, and he mentioned how Axl rejected a few of the songs that ended up on his album "Big Brother is Watching". I mean no disrespect when I say I don't blame him. 

I've got a lot of faith in these cunts to release great music and I will be absolutely scunnered if they drag their heels and don't beef up that back catalogue. 

• Like 4

I honestly hope they don’t release a bunch of 20+ year old stuff. Hardschool, Atlas, State of Grace, Silk Worms etc. Those songs sound like Chinese type stuff to me, and I don’t really care for that album. 

I mainly want them to sound like GNR again. Bring back the guitar riff. Bring back some fast tempo stuff. Get rid of every instrument that isn’t a guitar, bass or drums. Ok, maybe a little piano. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dean said:

I don't know how everyone else would feel, but I would be sickened for a Guns N' Roses album to be released with DJ Ashba's guitar parts replacing Robin Finck's.

This wouldn't even register on the outrage meter.

When looked at in the context that an entire album of people purporting to call themselves Guns N' Roses was released without so much as one note from Slash on it (a borderline crime against music humanity) worrying about DJ  replacing Robin seems  beyond trivial.

Most of us knew this and said so at the time, but with the further we are removed from them getting back together initially it just puts into an even bigger picture what a true farce that that entire new GNR experience was.

Axl still lives that shame every day, and  he thinks that forcing Frank/Fortus to be in the reunion line-up some how justifies that that 20 year period was anything but the monumental waste and embarrassment it was.

I think part of what is holding back making new music with Slash and actually releasing it is that it will be overwhelmingly be positively received, and actually sound like  a GNR  record again.

This will naturally dredge up the memories of how ridiculous it was for him to try and pass off that Slashless band as GNR.

Billboard had an article last year that  said the post reunion take per show was an extra $3 million a show  average over what Axl was doing just because the cat in the hat was back delighting GNR  crowds again.

That has  to eat him alive considering he had thoroughly convinced himself (and tried to convince the public) that he alone was GNR. The public voted with their wallets differently.

Slash coming back may have padded Axl's bank account, but it undoubtedly killed his confidence and pride to have the public basically validate his biggest insecurity that no matter how hard he tried it really was all about Slash all along.

He was resentful the new line-up never got out from under Slash's shadow, and releasing a new album with Slash that would undoubtedly rock will only remind him daily that he  quite literally wasted 1/3 of his life essentially being the old man yelling at clouds during that dark Slashless period in GNR's history.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Naupis said:

no matter how hard he tried it really was all about Slash all along.

It was basically like The A-Team. George Peppard (Hannibal) was the main character but Mr. T (B.A.) was the star of the show. That's why Peppard (Axl) hated Mr. T (Slash).

Might be a weird comparsion on my part, but I just thought of it and thought it's quite fitting.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Naupis said:

This wouldn't even register on the outrage meter.

When looked at in the context that an entire album of people purporting to call themselves Guns N' Roses was released without so much as one note from Slash on it (a borderline crime against music humanity) worrying about DJ  replacing Robin seems  beyond trivial.

Most of us knew this and said so at the time, but with the further we are removed from them getting back together initially it just puts into an even bigger picture what a true farce that that entire new GNR experience was.

Axl still lives that shame every day, and  he thinks that forcing Frank/Fortus to be in the reunion line-up some how justifies that that 20 year period was anything but the monumental waste and embarrassment it was.

I think part of what is holding back making new music with Slash and actually releasing it is that it will be overwhelmingly be positively received, and actually sound like  a GNR  record again.

This will naturally dredge up the memories of how ridiculous it was for him to try and pass off that Slashless band as GNR.

Billboard had an article last year that  said the post reunion take per show was an extra $3 million a show  average over what Axl was doing just because the cat in the hat was back delighting GNR  crowds again.

That has  to eat him alive considering he had thoroughly convinced himself (and tried to convince the public) that he alone was GNR. The public voted with their wallets differently.

Slash coming back may have padded Axl's bank account, but it undoubtedly killed his confidence and pride to have the public basically validate his biggest insecurity that no matter how hard he tried it really was all about Slash all along.

He was resentful the new line-up never got out from under Slash's shadow, and releasing a new album with Slash that would undoubtedly rock will only remind him daily that he  quite literally wasted 1/3 of his life essentially being the old man yelling at clouds during that dark Slashless period in GNR's history.

Respectfully disagree, though as always everything is subjective and a matter of opinion.

There was a lot of potential for a Chinese era Guns N' Roses, mostly from 1998 to 2002. I feel that had certain decisions been made in regards to the record/release and ensuring the happiness and productivity within the camp, that it was NOT impossible for them to match the success that the band enjoyed following the release of Appetite all the way through to the end of the Illusion tour. Axl at one point had the motivation and desire to achieve that, but whatever happened behind the scenes, this gradually waned. Had their been a record/material available for the turn of the millennium, there would have been a new generation of listeners, built up a new following of people finding the band and investing into that incarnation of the band. There was always a market for a GN'R album, with or without Slash, and at that point in life, the world would have benefited from a new Guns N' Roses album, especially everything under the 'Rock' umbrella. The series of events that occurred on the build up to and after Chinese Democracy's release was disappointing and done the record no favours when it appeared to be seemingly 'dropped' like a hot potato on Axl's part after he realised his hand was forced. That, along with the delays, are the only things I grudge from everything post 1996.

The casual listener would have thrown money at Axl and Slash if it was the Monkees backing them or 4tus and Frank, so long as it was advertised with Axl and Slash they were seeing, it would have made money regardless of the lineup. I don't see it as 4tus and Frank being in it in order to validate whatever, but considering these guys never left, why wouldn't they have a place? Two vacancies were filled by Slash and Duff and from there, were able to breathe life into something that was stagnant for a considerable amount of time. I do think Axl has always looked for the thoughts and opinions on Slash and Duff in regards to his music, so having them back in his life, will, hopefully, revitalise his artistic creativity.

Chinese Democracy is very much a Guns N' Roses record and Axl has mentioned that he's proud of the record and happy with the success that it had. He recorded a lot of music in that time too, so what you mention as 'wasting' a portion of his life, may end up benefiting our ears all these years later, just with Slash and Duff thrown in for good measure. 1998 to 2014 provided a lot of frustration, but it also provided a lot of great shows and I'm grateful that we finally got Chinese as it, in my opinion, showcases Axl Rose at the very top of his game. As I've mentioned before, I've got a lot of faith in these guys releasing more great music as it is a great injustice for them not to, and to be able to perform the new material while they are still able to put on a great show. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lio said:

Hardschool is new. Who cares when it was written? Plus relatively very few people have heard it.

Don't Cry was written and performed in the 80s. No one was crying about that being an old song when it came out early 90s.

Seriously, people who would complain about Hardschool being on a release just like to complain.

It's not necessarily about the age, I may have written it badly. It's about the fact it was composed by a different band. 

59 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

It was basically like The A-Team. George Peppard (Hannibal) was the main character but Mr. T (B.A.) was the star of the show. That's why Peppard (Axl) hated Mr. T (Slash).

Might be a weird comparsion on my part, but I just thought of it and thought it's quite fitting.

Duff is Dirk Benedict I guess.

46 minutes ago, jamillos said:

It's not necessarily about the age, I may have written it badly. It's about the fact it was composed by a different band. 

We don't really known the origins of "Hardschool. We referred to it as "Jackie Chan" for the longest time. There is an old quote from the '90s about GNR working on a song for potential use in a Jackie Chan flick. Duff was still in the band at the time.

11 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

but what are some of the things we all love about GNR? Great solos? Huge codas? Ballads?

...and great riffs. Big fan of Chinese but a large percentage of old Gn'R tunes contain a great Slash or Izzy riff. Chinese didn't really have a lot of those. It also didn't have enough hard rock for a Gn'R album imo. The ratio between ballads and faster/harder material was all fucked up.

edit: Tommy did say in an interview the intention was to release more than just 1 cd so if Axl's original plan was to release a double album, maybe it was supposed to be a more balanced record.

Edited by Rovim

13 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

We don't really known the origins of "Hardschool. We referred to it as "Jackie Chan" for the longest time. There is an old quote from the '90s about GNR working on a song for potential use in a Jackie Chan flick. Duff was still in the band at the time.

I still consider it a NuGNR song until proven otherwise. Doesn’t really matter. I think the principle of what I’m saying here is quite clear – that they should release a new song as a single which was clearly composed by A/S/D. To show, as the first thing, that they still got it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

I still consider it a NuGNR song until proven otherwise. Doesn’t really matter. I think the principle of what I’m saying here is quite clear – that they should release a new song as a single which was clearly composed by A/S/D. To show, as the first thing, that they still got it.

I agree, that would be a lot better and more meaningful than dusting off some old shit. Especially if it's something like Hard School that already leaked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jamillos said:

Dont cry was written by a differemt band too, theres even a Tracii Guns recording of it if my memory is right.

5 minutes ago, default_ said:

Dont cry was written by a differemt band too, theres even a Tracii Guns recording of it if my memory is right.

Doesn't matter, this is a different situation. Is it really that hard to see my point? They need to show the world what they're capable of now, not what some former variant created two decades ago - that can be included in the record, but the single should be a representative of the current existence. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Doesn't matter, this is a different situation. Is it really that hard to see my point? They need to show the world what they're capable of now, not what some former variant created two decades ago - that can be included in the record, but the single should be a representative of the current existence. 

I see your point.  My feeling is why would anyone want leaked songs on a new album.  If we get say 12 tracks I'd rather have 12 songs I don't already have.  I'd be surprised if Hard School wasn't included though.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

I see your point.  My feeling is why would anyone want leaked songs on a new album.  If we get say 12 tracks I'd rather have 12 songs I don't already have.  I'd be surprised if Hard School wasn't included though.  

Thank you. Well, it's the annoying thing that we didn't get to hear the "CD 2" apart from these 5 leaks, so I understand people would love to get their hands on it at some point in time. The truth is though that if we're talking about 12 songs or so, they'd have to fit in new stuff, CD 2 stuff, and probably some old 90s material, which is quite a tight and tricky mixture for one record. But it would be the best solution imo. Obviously, my preference still would be as much new material as possible.