The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

20 hours ago, jamillos said:

It's not necessarily about the age, I may have written it badly. It's about the fact it was composed by a different band. 

Out of all the tracks that were on CD or those that were leaked last year, Hard School is the most classic sounding GNR song that had leaked. I have serious doubts that it came from the various CD lineups for Nu-GNR. I do think this might have been one of the songs that Matt Sorum mentioned regarding 7 completed tracks and 7 songs that they were working on during the mid 90s before Slash left the band. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

Axl should have created a new band with a different name. Heck, you had Audioslave, Velvet Revolver, and Alter Bridge at this time period that did so and had success with a name that that had core members. The casual fanbase, especially those in the 35-45 age range, sees Axl and Slash as GNR. 

If Slash and Duff had the rights to GNR, they may have started a new GNR and not called it Velvet Revolver. Axl chose the path of most resistance by continuing to call it GNR. He'd clearly have been more accepted had he called it something else. As for Alter Bridge ... the Creed name has no juice. It was better for them to call it anything but Creed, so that's not the best example. 

I don't understand why people have such a hard time enjoying music for what it is regardless of what it's called or who composed it.

• Like 2

In regard to "Jackie Chan" aka "Hardschool" ... It was likely born somewhere in the mid '90s (1996) with the core of the "big three" still in Guns N' Roses. There was a lot of material written then that was scrapped when Slash left the band in late 1996. I have no issue with some of those songs getting dusted off and reworked or mastered. A new record doesn't have to be all songs written between 2016 and present-day. New to me is still new. And just 'cause I heard a "Hardschool" demo or old version, I don't care. Give me proper studio-mastered official releases and I am copping in every format.

---------------

From Chinese Whispers:

(July 25, 1996) 

Duff: "We're in [the studio], writing new songs ..."
Stern: "And Axl's into it?"
Duff: "Yeah, totally. And, actually, today I have to fly back right after this. We were going to start recording for this Jackie Chan movie, the next one." 

---------------

"[Slash] also enthuses about the new material Guns N' Roses have been writing. Apparently, the band members are currently trading tapes amongst themselves [before the actual recording sessions]. 'It's amazing stuff,' [Slash] says. 'The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record.'" (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

---------------

"The majority of things are done on the phone, until we actually get in the studio. A lot of things over the phone and sending tapes back and forth. And we've done this for years." (Axl, Rockline, 01/03/94)

---------------

"With Guns, there's no problems with material. The problem has always been getting us in the same room. So now that we're in there, it's rockin'." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

---------------

"[The 1996 tracks are] not something I would want to approach (without Slash), because, at the time, there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way ... That's the reason why that material got scrapped." (Axl, press release, 08/14/02)

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

From Chinese Whispers:

(July 25, 1996) 

Duff: "Yeah, totally. And, actually, today I have to fly back right after this. We were going to start recording for this Jackie Chan movie, the next one." 

---------------

"[Slash] also enthuses about the new material Guns N' Roses have been writing. Apparently, the band members are currently trading tapes amongst themselves [before the actual recording sessions]. 'It's amazing stuff,' [Slash] says. 'The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record.'" (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

---------------

"The majority of things are done on the phone, until we actually get in the studio. A lot of things over the phone and sending tapes back and forth. And we've done this for years." (Axl, Rockline, 01/03/94)

---------------

"With Guns, there's no problems with material. The problem has always been getting us in the same room. So now that we're in there, it's rockin'." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

---------------

"[The 1996 tracks are] not something I would want to approach (without Slash), because, at the time, there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way ... That's the reason why that material got scrapped." (Axl, press release, 08/14/02)

It always amazes me how positive they all sounded in public, considering the band was about to implode

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

If Slash and Duff had the rights to GNR, they may have started a new GNR and not called it Velvet Revolver. Axl chose the path of most resistance by continuing to call it GNR. He'd clearly have been more accepted had he called it something else. As for Alter Bridge ... the Creed name has no juice. It was better for them to call it anything but Creed, so that's not the best example. 

I don't understand why people have such a hard time enjoying music for what it is regardless of what it's called or who composed it.

You are missing the point of my post.  It's not just about  having the rights to the name. It's about managing your brand and the expectations of that brand whether it's music, sports, corporate, etc. There's a certain level of expectations involved when that brand is very well established. Axl's vision of GNR when everyone left didn't have an ounce of a chance to  succeed  since there was already expectations built previously by the AFD 5 and UYI lineups.  

Additionally, GNR is a blues based hard rock band. People are not willing to go to  see a GNR that changed their music. The expectations are just not there. If I wanted to go see or hear  a different type of band or music, I would follow that. 

Creed is actually a good example since GNR didn't have much juice in the late 90s. Creed was HUGE when they released their album. You heard them on pop and alternative stations in the NYC area.  Scott then became a mess. Creed fired him and got Myles. They could have stick with the name like STP has done recently. They didn't. They chose a different  name and was freed up on expectations. 

Look at Audioslave. Even though RATM was popular, they went with a different name and produced a different type of music. 

The name of a band matters when it's an established brand. Axl nor Slash would have been able to continue with the success of GNR by themselves. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

In regard to "Jackie Chan" aka "Hardschool" ... It was likely born somewhere in the mid '90s (1996) with the core of the "big three" still in Guns N' Roses. There was a lot of material written then that was scrapped when Slash left the band in late 1996. I have no issue with some of those songs getting dusted off and reworked or mastered. A new record doesn't have to be all songs written between 2016 and present-day. New to me is still new. And just 'cause I heard a "Hardschool" demo or old version, I don't care. Give me proper studio-mastered official releases and I am copping in every format.

---------------

From Chinese Whispers:

(July 25, 1996) 

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

Also don't forget that Fortus alluded in 2015, a few months before the reunion was announced, that they are working on some stuff written way back in the 90s, when Slash was in the band. I think it being Hard School is a very real possibility. It does sound like a Slash riff after all.

On 11/1/2020 at 12:07 PM, Naupis said:

This wouldn't even register on the outrage meter.

When looked at in the context that an entire album of people purporting to call themselves Guns N' Roses was released without so much as one note from Slash on it (a borderline crime against music humanity) worrying about DJ  replacing Robin seems  beyond trivial.

Most of us knew this and said so at the time, but with the further we are removed from them getting back together initially it just puts into an even bigger picture what a true farce that that entire new GNR experience was.

Axl still lives that shame every day, and  he thinks that forcing Frank/Fortus to be in the reunion line-up some how justifies that that 20 year period was anything but the monumental waste and embarrassment it was.

I think part of what is holding back making new music with Slash and actually releasing it is that it will be overwhelmingly be positively received, and actually sound like  a GNR  record again.

This will naturally dredge up the memories of how ridiculous it was for him to try and pass off that Slashless band as GNR.

Billboard had an article last year that  said the post reunion take per show was an extra $3 million a show  average over what Axl was doing just because the cat in the hat was back delighting GNR  crowds again.

That has  to eat him alive considering he had thoroughly convinced himself (and tried to convince the public) that he alone was GNR. The public voted with their wallets differently.

Slash coming back may have padded Axl's bank account, but it undoubtedly killed his confidence and pride to have the public basically validate his biggest insecurity that no matter how hard he tried it really was all about Slash all along.

He was resentful the new line-up never got out from under Slash's shadow, and releasing a new album with Slash that would undoubtedly rock will only remind him daily that he  quite literally wasted 1/3 of his life essentially being the old man yelling at clouds during that dark Slashless period in GNR's history.

I imagine you have all the quotes that back up everything that you said here, right? 

6 hours ago, Draguns said:

Axl is one of my childhood idols, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. The biggest mistake that Axl made was not letting go of the GNR name. If he had done that and started a new band with a different name, he might have had success with it.  The casual fanbase didn't want to see Buckethead nor Finck in GNR. I had people asking me wtf happened to the band when they performed on MTV. I also had friends that went to the MSG show in 2002 and hated it due to BH being the guitarist and not Slash. 

Axl should have created a new band with a different name. Heck, you had Audioslave, Velvet Revolver, and Alter Bridge at this time period that did so and had success with a name that that had core members. The casual fanbase, especially those in the 35-45 age range, sees Axl and Slash as GNR. 

I see your point, but I agreed with Axl keeping the name going. Why should he throw in the towel when everyone had left? It took a lot of balls doing what he did and I have the utmost respect for him doing it. 

The casual fan would/could have changed over time had Axl been productive though. Different generations/new people being drawn in upon regular releases and building on what the previous incarnations of the band had started. It was all possible in my opinion. At this point, fuck the past and hopefully 2020 will provide new music for the fan base. 

GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Richard Fortus was asked in a new interview with Forbes for an update on fresh music from the band, as well as the possibility of varying up the setlist on this year's tour. He responded: "We love bringing new songs in. We always rehearse stuff up. It's just a matter of everyone sort of feeling comfortable to integrate it into the show. I hope that we have new music out this coming year."

Asked what he is excited about for GN'R in 2020, Fortus said: "I'm excited to go back to South America in March, then we'll be in Europe in the summer. And doing the festivals in Europe is always a lot of fun because you get to see lots of great bands and friends that you don't normally see.

So.... new album and or all new show, I think the odds are shite. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Richard Fortus was asked in a new interview with Forbes for an update on fresh music from the band, as well as the possibility of varying up the setlist on this year's tour. He responded: "We love bringing new songs in. We always rehearse stuff up. It's just a matter of everyone sort of feeling comfortable to integrate it into the show. I hope that we have new music out this coming year."

Asked what he is excited about for GN'R in 2020, Fortus said: "I'm excited to go back to South America in March, then we'll be in Europe in the summer. And doing the festivals in Europe is always a lot of fun because you get to see lots of great bands and friends that you don't normally see.

The "Axl's leeches drain as much $$$ as possible from the GNR name tour", December 2009-present.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

17 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I bet he is dying to say it’s just a matter of Axl feeling comfortable to do it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Richard Fortus was asked in a new interview with Forbes

Here's that part of the interview:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebaltin/2020/01/12/qa-guns-n-roses-richard-fortus-on-his-new-signature-guitar-playing-with-slash-and-more/#434408943a53

Baltin: Any update on new GNR music? I imagine as well for you guys it would reinvigorate the live show as well.

Fortus: We love bringing new songs in. We always rehearse stuff up. It's just a matter of everyone sort of feeling comfortable to integrate it into the show. I hope that we have new music out this coming year.

Baltin: Is there one song you guys haven't played live or that you haven't done in some time you'd love to bring into the live show?

Fortus: Over my tenure in the band, which is now stretching to like 18 years, there have been a bunch of songs we've rehearsed that we haven't done live. One I wish that we would, I really love the song, is "Perfect Crime." I've played that with this band for years and we've just never played it live for whatever reason. This last tour we did "Locomotive" a few times and that was really cool. I love that song. And it was fun to finally do that.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Here's that part of the interview:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebaltin/2020/01/12/qa-guns-n-roses-richard-fortus-on-his-new-signature-guitar-playing-with-slash-and-more/#434408943a53

Baltin: Any update on new GNR music? I imagine as well for you guys it would reinvigorate the live show as well.

Fortus: We love bringing new songs in. We always rehearse stuff up. It's just a matter of everyone sort of feeling comfortable to integrate it into the show. I hope that we have new music out this coming year.

Baltin: Is there one song you guys haven't played live or that you haven't done in some time you'd love to bring into the live show?

Fortus: Over my tenure in the band, which is now stretching to like 18 years, there have been a bunch of songs we've rehearsed that we haven't done live. One I wish that we would, I really love the song, is "Perfect Crime." I've played that with this band for years and we've just never played it live for whatever reason. This last tour we did "Locomotive" a few times and that was really cool. I love that song. And it was fun to finally do that.

With "this coming year" is he talking about 2020 or 2021? They're so vague LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, or the interview could have been done in December or something. But we're stretching it a little.

What's giving some kind of hope that something new is coming this year is that Jarmo is really optimistic about it. I don´t think he ever was this confident in the past years

Edited by Manfisman

6 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I bet he is dying to say it’s just a matter of Axl feeling comfortable to do it! 

Agree. More like "if axl joined us regulary for rehearsals and took the onerous in wanting to play different stuff, we would love to play something different".

7 minutes ago, siraddam said:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-guitarist-richard-fortus-i-hope-that-we-have-new-music-out-this-coming-year/

I hope there will be new music this year doesn't exactly sound like they're working on anything. 

I think like Jarmo, hes just being coy so not to be a disappointment.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, siraddam said:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-guitarist-richard-fortus-i-hope-that-we-have-new-music-out-this-coming-year/

I hope there will be new music this year doesn't exactly sound like they're working on anything. 

If there's going to be an official announcement for a new album, it's certainly not going to come from Fortus.