The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 minute ago, registra said:

Yeah it's great, no need to worry. Just have to wait 20 years till they get leaked as unfinished demos :) 

Wait until Axl dies. Once that happens the vultures will be out in force to flog EVERYTHING they can possibly can, regardless of how it sounds. 

You know, they could have come out and said this in an interview months ago, Last thing we heard was "we all want to make a record" "we're going to make a record in the first part of the year", "there's no more touring until new music comes out". All we actually see though is new tour dates, and people dodging questions. At least the interviewer asked the question though! 

Bullshit answer and a bullshit band!

• Like 1

Btw if they didn’t seriously start until after the tour, that makes it basically the beginning of December, which is two weeks until the Holidays. Today is January 22. Do ya guys really think they’re already done when they’ve had like a month (not counting the Holidays ofc) since they’d "sat down" to do it? :lol:

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what to make from Slash's answer.

For one, I think it doesn't leave much hope for a new release any time soon.

But I don't know how to "translate" it in regards to what the problem is. My guess is that Axl still has a problem with Universal.

• Like 1

For Slash's perusal,

You walk into a shop; pick up the album; take it to the counter and buy! Or you select the thing online so it goes into your Amazon/ebay basket; pay with you debit card number; then wait a couple of days until it arrives through your letter box! 

The procedure of buying an album is basically the same as it always has been. It certainly hasn't ceased just because sales are poorer. 

Or if you are ''modern'', you go on Amazon (or somewhere else, Spotify or some bollocks), pay and download. You can put that on your gadget. 

(Or if you're Len, you go into a record store, stick the cd in your coat and filch the bugger haha).

• Like 1

I am so goddamn livid with those comments from Slash. I know he is typically vague about GNR-related goings-on. Probably because he doesn't really know how to answer and it's uncomfortable having to skirt around the issue. Just fucking say, "We've been working on a new record." It's not that hard. You don't have to say anything else. Why does that have to be a big secret?

I am completely deflated and sick of this shit. If they don't intend to release anything, then be honest about it and say they just want to tour right now because they're having a great time doing so.

We'll know one way or the other because Slash and Duff will eventually start recording material for their own "side" projects.  Watch in a few months we get word of Slash in studio with Kennedy and the Conspirators. Both shows I went to last year (Duff and Conspirators) were fantastic and chalk full of new material. Two of the best shows I attended last year.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That and the only other thing I can think of is that Slash is ALWAYS vague about everything. 

He was saying he didn't know anything about rejoining GNR all the way up until he posted the Coachella announcement on his social media. 

For me, 01/31 remains my "drop dead date". If nothing happens that date, I'm just done with GNR for the year. I've got all the other sections here, tons of other artists and now my own podcast to be concerned with :)

I think people need to calm down, it doesn't really change things that much. The same shit happened in 2015 when Slash was extremely vague and even straight up lying about the reunion happening, while propably rehearsing the NITL shows at the same time.

All he says is that GNR is kind of a different animal compared to their solo efforts. They know the stakes are high and want to do this the right way. At least that's how I intepret this, but what do I know. I mean, yeah they could just throw it on Spotify/Apple Music and call it a day. There are so many possibilities on how to release music these days. For all we know they have it ready to go and are just negotiating the details last minute :shrugs:

• Like 2

As much as I don't really care for Slash's writing since ALG, I'm a huge CD era fan and them reworking old stuff seemed to be our only chance to get the vocals/lyrics for Soul Monster, Quick Song, Zodiac, Berlin, ect. I can't get excited about brand new music from Axl/Slash but it's quite upsetting there doesn't seem to be a good chance of hearing Axl's parts to those songs any time soon.

Again it all comes down to Guns contract. What’s the advance to be paid for the album? What’s the realistic amount of sales/streaming the label is forecasting? Do those numbers make sense for everyone involved? 

Just because there may be songs completed, it doesn’t mean there’s an avenue for a traditional release. Nobody is releasing anything if it loses $. Nobody is releasing anything without it being worth their time/energy. 

Welcome to a legacy act in the music business in 2020...

Live Nation should just partner and buy a large amount of albums from UMG and include them with a ticket. Prob the easiest way to facilitate a release that makes sense for everyone. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

I am so goddamn livid with those comments from Slash. I know he is typically vague about GNR-related goings-on. Probably because he doesn't really know how to answer and it's uncomfortable having to skirt around the issue. Just fucking say, "We've been working on a new record." It's not that hard. You don't have to say anything else. Why does that have to be a big secret?

I am completely deflated and sick of this shit. If they don't intent to release anything, then be honest about it.

We'll know one way or the other because Slash and Duff will eventually start recording material for their own "side" projects.  Watch in a few months we get word of Slash in studio with Kennedy and the Conspirators.

Totally feel the same. Will be selling London tix if there’s no change come April 

You know, stuff like this makes me lose every bit of respect for a guy like Slash. He was a hero to me, the whole attitude from these guys meant a lot to me.

Now, Gibson releases another 6 (!) Slash signature Les Pauls. He's putting out boring records with Myles forever, he plays shitty, super long mindless, soulless solos all the time. Now he's Axl's bitch and  he's a cartoon figure. Same with Duff, punk as fuck? These clowns piss me off man, they're nothing like their former selves. Fucking hell, this is just sad and it pisses me off. I'm done until they earn my attention. 

I never thought Slash could  become this. Wow.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Btw if they didn’t seriously start until after the tour, that makes it basically the beginning of December, which is two weeks until the Holidays. Today is January 22. Do ya guys really think they’re already done when they’ve had like a month (not counting the Holidays ofc) since they’d "sat down" to do it? :lol:

It was confirmed a while back that Slash had his equipment at Axl's house, so they were working on something a long time ago. Didn't just start in December.

GnR are a nostalgia band, no point in taking any creative risks when your in year 4 of a mega tour that is STILL making them considerable money, and has made them by now probably something close to 3/4 of a billion. Why even bother when you could probably still go around touring and still probably easily enough sell out arenas in many places, and stadiums in others.

What absolute fkn horseshit! 

I stupidly, like an often burned idiot, decided to stick my hand back into the optimism fire and held out hope for something new next week. That interview has pissed all over that optimism fire, put it out and left a poxy, stinking puddle of molten smelly piss behind. 

Bunch of useless cunts, guess slash is now drinking uncle axl's kool aid

1 minute ago, IkaruFunk said:

I think people need to calm down, it doesn't really change things that much. The same shit happened in 2015 when Slash was extremely vague and even straight up lying about the reunion happening, while propably rehearsing the NITL shows at the same time.

All he says is that GNR is kind of a different animal compared to their solo efforts. They know the stakes are high and want to do this the right way. At least that's how I intepret this, but what do I know. I mean, yeah they could just throw it on Spotify/Apple Music and call it a day. There are so many possibilities on how to release music these days. For all we know they have it ready to go and are just negotiating the details last minute :shrugs:

All it really boils down to though is "market it, advertise it, promote it, package it nicely, sell it". Those who want it will buy it, those who won't, won't. 

There aren't really that many 'possibilities on how to release music' - it's all essentially done the same way as any other product in the world. 

3 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Again it all comes down to Guns contract. What’s the advance to be paid for the album? What’s the realistic amount of sales/streaming the label is forecasting? Do those numbers make sense for everyone involved? 

Just because there may be songs completed, it doesn’t mean there’s an avenue for a traditional release. Nobody is releasing anything if it loses $. Nobody is releasing anything without it being worth their time/energy. 

Welcome to a legacy act in the music business in 2020...

Live Nation should just partner and buy a large amount of albums from UMG and include them with a ticket. Prob the easiest way to facilitate a release that makes sense for everyone. 

Again though, EVERY OTHER band manages to release something. Any debate about money, or whether it's worth the 'time and energy' has to be placed against that. Even Ozzy is able to make and sell a new album! 

21 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I love the irony of worrying about selling a record to people who say "we don't even know what buying a record is any more"!

Essentially it's saying "there's no point in making something for someone who would never have wanted to buy it in the first place". How about thinking about, you know, making records for the people who DO want to buy it, rather than worrying about selling records to people who don't want to buy records?! 

It's utter bollocks. Why is he releasing albums with Myles and The Conspirators??? 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

All it really boils down to though is "market it, advertise it, promote it, package it nicely, sell it". Those who want it will buy it, those who won't, won't. 

There aren't really that many 'possibilities on how to release music' - it's all essentially done the same way as any other product in the world. 

Yeah but that's exactly what he's talking about. HOW to market it, advertise it, promote it and package it? Maybe they have a plan or not, but I take it as a positive that stuff has been done and something is brewing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Same way they market their $1000 box set or toy trucks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Except no one buys music any longer. People stream or listen off of YouTube. If you’re dealing with an old record contract from even 20 yrs ago let alone 30, it makes thing a bit more complicated. The numbers don’t necessarily  line up with the $ that is being advanced. 

There’s a reason record contracts are constructed differently these days. I could def see a scenario where they need to be a bit creative to make an album happen 

• Like 1

Just now, IkaruFunk said:

Yeah but that's exactly what he's talking about. HOW to market it, advertise it, promote it and package it? Maybe they have a plan or not, but I take it as a positive that stuff has been done and something is brewing.

Perhaps for how to do it they could look at ANY other band and just do the same? I see your point on the positive, but, you know, we've been here before with comments like that.....

4 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

It was confirmed a while back that Slash had his equipment at Axl's house, so they were working on something a long time ago. Didn't just start in December.

I know, but they said the serious work would only start after the tour. 

What I will hold Slash responsible for though is if they do the tour without at least playing anything new. That was a promise.

8 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I am completely deflated and sick of this shit. If they don't intend to release anything, then be honest about it and say they just want to tour right now because they're having a great time doing so.

We'll know one way or the other because Slash and Duff will eventually start recording material for their own "side" projects.  Watch in a few months we get word of Slash in studio with Kennedy and the Conspirators. Both shows I went to last year (Duff and Conspirators) were fantastic and chalk full of new material. Two of the best shows I attended last year.

Me too. Slash N Myles and Duff gigs were really great. I loved them and want more in the future. 

But fuck me what are GNR playing at? Release a Fuckn album like all other bands do and quit the bullshit comments

That’s Slash back pedalling. It must be so weird and frustrating for slash and feel like the mid 90s all over again for him. Slash and duff are not the problem.

after this tour ends they’ll probably disband and drop a greatest hits album then all gradually die.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1