The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Again though, EVERY OTHER band manages to release something. Any debate about money, or whether it's worth the 'time and energy' has to be placed against that. Even Ozzy is able to make and sell a new album! 

Ozzy isn’t operating under a record contract from the 90’s 

Nowhere near the same situation

11 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Except no one buys music any longer. People stream or listen off of YouTube. If you’re dealing with an old record contract from even 20 yrs ago let alone 30, it makes thing a bit more complicated. The numbers don’t necessarily  line up with the $ that is being advanced. 

There’s a reason record contracts are constructed differently these days. I could def see a scenario where they need to be a bit creative to make an album happen 

That's just not true.

In the UK alone last year 4.3 million vinyl records were sold in 2019 and 23.5 million CDs. That's JUST in the UK. 

The BPI report from last year states that in 29 out of the 52 weeks physical accounted for over half of the sales of the number one album. It's a total fallacy that physical albums don't sell....they just don't sell like they used to in the 80s and 90s, for obvious reasons.  

Again, if the likes of Ozzy Osbourne can release a new album (or ANY OTHER band) then I don't buy any argument around "they need to be a bit creative to make an album happen". Even the fucking Who managed to put a new album out last year! You know, they toured it, promoted it, advertised it......and guess what? IT SOLD! 

The only realistic sticking point could be that  GNR are expecting the sort of mega-bucks that were floating about in the 90s of course, and refuse to acknowledge that there isn't as much money in the industry as there used to be. 

2 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Ozzy isn’t operating under a record contract from the 90’s 

Nowhere near the same situation

So that's the excuse? GNR can never release new material because of an old contract? Come off it! Any label would bend over backwards to get a new GNR album out! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

That's just not true.

In the UK alone last year 4.3 million vinyl records were sold in 2019 and 23.5 million CDs. That's JUST in the UK. 

The BPI report from last year states that in 29 out of the 52 weeks physical accounted for over half of the sales of the number one album. It's a total fallacy that physical albums don't sell....they just don't sell like they used to in the 80s and 90s, for obvious reasons.  

Again, if the likes of Ozzy Osbourne can release a new album (or ANY OTHER band) then I don't buy any argument around "they need to be a bit creative to make an album happen". Even the fucking Who managed to put a new album out last year! You know, they toured it, promoted it, advertised it......and guess what? IT SOLD! 

The only realistic sticking point could be that  GNR are expecting the sort of mega-bucks that were floating about in the 90s of course, and refuse to acknowledge that there isn't as much money in the industry as there used to be. 

If their record contract stipulates a 3 million dollar advance for their next album, how do they circumvent that? 

Say they need to renegotiate. That also takes lawyers, time and more $ thrown against a project that’s now costing you $ 

• Like 1

I don't think Slash's answer is as vague as if he said something like "Yeah, we want to do it, we've started it and we'll see what happens." He said something more specific here and provided a reasoning.

The reasoning doesn't make much sense, though, considering that the band and the label released the AFD box set - based on the assumption, I guess, that there are still people who  buy records and even overpriced ludicrous box sets. 

Unless Universal thinks there's a market for GnR mainly as a legacy act and there's not much interest in new music from them, so it doesn't want to invest much money on a physical release, packaging etc.

Edited by Blackstar
Grammar

3 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

If their record contract stipulates a 3 million dollar advance for their next album, how do they circumvent that? 

Say they need to renegotiate. That also takes lawyers, time and more $ thrown against a project that’s now costing you $ 

I see your point....but do we know if that's the case? I was under the impression they had fulfilled their contract with Appetite For Democracy and were essentially without one now? 

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think Slash's answer is as vague as if he said something like "Yeah, we want to do it, we've started it and we'll see what happens." He said something more specific here and provided a reasoning.

The reasoning doesn't make much sense, though, considering that the band and the label released the AFD box set - based on the assumption, I guess, that there are still people who still buy records and even overpriced ludicrous box sets. 

Unless Universal doesn't think that there's a market for GnR mainly as a legacy act and there's no much interest in new music from them, so it doesn't want to invest much money on a physical release, packaging etc.

Reissue stuff is easier to get out. Less overhead in expenses. Easier to forecast long term sales. The box set fiasco aside... 

Im not sure what the expectations are for a new GNR release in 2020. Im sure they have the numbers for the AFD reissue to go off of. Maybe it doesn’t line up great. 

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I see your point....but do we know if that's the case? I was under the impression they had fulfilled their contract with Appetite For Democracy and were essentially without one now? 

Live albums and compilations don’t count towards the deal. It needs to be new music 

I would think GNR would love to release stuff to finish their contract. It would open up possibilities such as a live archive and such. Doing that under UMG and their current contract just doesn’t make sense 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Reissue stuff is easier to get out. Less overhead in expenses. Easier to forecast long term sales. The box set fiasco aside... 

Im not sure what the expectations are for a new GNR release in 2020. Im sure they have the numbers for the AFD reissue to go off of. Maybe it doesn’t line up great. 

Live albums and compilations don’t count towards the deal. It needs to be new music 

I would think GNR would love to release stuff to finish their contract. It would open up possibilities such as a live archive and such. Doing under UMG and their current contract just doesn’t make sense 

"GNR would love to release new stuff" - now, now! Behave yourself! 

Just now, The Matinator said:

What I think is happening is that there was some truth to that whole "EP before the album" rumor from a couple months back but certian people in the group don't wanna do it that way, which is where all this how do we go about releasing it stuff came from.

'Plans changed' 

You know what the expectations were for Appetite? Bugger all. And Geffen were a weird little label in those days. But it was a band who wanted it released not solely for selling x number of units but for getting their music out there. If they thought they were good enough, people would follow irrespective. 

Well, what's even worse is the fact that they don't even release NEW, OLD music. Most of that stuff is being stored on analog media and will perish sooner or later.
Their management working hard to prevent fans from digitizing classic stuff for free to keep the legend alive isn't really helping too!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

"GNR would love to release new stuff" - now, now! Behave yourself! 

'Plans changed' 

Leaks happened...

Let me rephrase. GNR would love to release stuff under situations that mostly benefit themselves. I think the long term plan with most of it is to get out of that contract. It opens up a another revenue stream 

If the old contract from the '90s is what's holding everything up, and albums owed to Geffen, why not just come out and say that? Explain that they're bound by the old record contract and need to figure out the logistics and financials?

It isn't like GNR haven't had over eleven years since Chinese Democracy released to figure out the the best course of action for any new music.

I'm tired of the excuses and lack of transparency. If they would just come out and be honest about the situation, then there'd be less hope or fury and pushback from their diehard fan base.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2

Just now, guitarpatch said:

Leaks happened...

Let me rephrase. GNR would love to release stuff under situations that mostly benefit themselves. I think the long term plan with most of it is to get out of that contract. It opens up a another revenue stream 

They've had QUITE a lot of time now in which they could have got busy with getting out of that contract, haven't they? 

4 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

If the old contract from the '90s is what's holding everything up, and albums owed to Geffen, why not just come out and say that? Explain that they're bound by the old record contract and need to figure out the logistics and financials?

It isn't like GNR haven't had over eleven years since Chinese Democracy released to figure out the the best course of action for any new music.

Just a guess there...I’m sure it’s also been renegotiated countless times during the CD sessions 

Don’t think Slash/Duff like to get into those type of specifics. Business end is probably not that fun aside from the payout. 

Slash prob shouldn’t have even said that much. Keep it more vague and say you’re working on stuff... 

Edited by guitarpatch

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

They've had QUITE a lot of time now in which they could have got busy with getting out of that contract, haven't they? 

Well that’s certainly the crux of it. It’s a unique situation compared to some of their peers 

Well, they're doing it again. They're creating such an unreal anticipation for a new album that they won't be able to live up to people's expectations. The longer an album is in the cooker, the more likely it is people will think it must to be the best thing ever recorded. Then the pressure mounts. Chinese Democracy was awesome, but it grew to be such a mythological thing prior to release, that its final form was always gonna be a letdown regardless. 

• Like 1

Frustrating to say the least. 

It is better than an outright 'NO it isn't happening' statement. 

Confirms something is happening / recordings have taken place which is good news. 

If it is delayed for legal reasons / record label bollocks then its annoying but hopefully the music will come out at some point in the near future. 

it is an odd statement though... i'm suspicious that they may be closer than we think (optimistic i know!) and he is playing it down. 

We will find out soon enough. 

Had Slash said the same things he said in interviews last year then I would still have hope of something new coming out but this seems like a less optimistic answer from Slash. Axl /TB obviously are the problem. 

I don’t know if the leaks are going to be used as an excuse or not but had Axl released music like normal people then nobody would’ve made a deal from it. Axl only has himself to blame for that. I’m hoping Slash is just fucking with us.