The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

So duff and slash are happy to do another 4 year tour without doing any gnr new material knowing they are creative and the amount of instrumentals etc axl is sitting on?.

no, Duff and Slash probably have no problem of banging out an album with Axl in 2 weeks and I'm guessing they will really love to do that and do a tour to support it with a new set list but it's not a deal breaker for them if it doesn't happen cause maybe they accept it's up to Axl to decide when/if this nostalgia machine turns to a real band. Slash still (for now) gets to play to huge crowds without Axl being late and he's getting paid. Duff too. They have their own projects for silly shit most people don't care about like creativity.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah... 

The only thing everyone agreed upon in the interviews of that time is that there was a lot of material accumulated through the years (some of it dating from Slash's last sessions) that was worked, reworked and re-recorded, which I believe is true. So I don't think Richard and Dizzy were lying;  they just chose to show the "bright" side talking about what they knew about the material that existed and generating hope. But they really had no idea if or when any of it was going to be released and what Axl was thinking. 

Yeah it was around 2014 when fortus spoke of playing “ an old Slash riff “ for the next album so I dare say there was truth in they’re comments ( pretty much what we’re seeing just now ) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rovim said:

no, Duff and Slash probably have no problem of banging out an album with Axl in 2 weeks and I'm guessing they will really love to do that and do a tour to support it with a new set list but it's not a deal breaker for them if it doesn't happen cause maybe they accept it's up to Axl to decide when/if this nostalgia machine turns to a real band. Slash still (for now) gets to play to huge crowds without Axl being late and he's getting paid. Duff too. They have their own projects for silly shit most people don't care about like creativity.

This will be unpopular but SKMC i do like. But LTD was boring and slash needs to be pushed creatively now.

I like SMKC based on,

1. The band cameraderie. The way he is onstage with this guys, in terms of chemistry, is different to gnr. I personally think hes not satisfied with the gnr lineup. I think its frank or mel. Maybe both. During the illusion tours and VR they didnt need to "teach"sorum what tempo to play in. Unlike frank.

2. He has complete creative control and has no dependancy on anyone. Slash calls the shots.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Haha 1

It would be great if by 'figuring out how to release the album' they meant like, how to make it a spectacle.

Wouldn't it be cool if they had a live streamed event to record stores around the world. So fans would pack the stores to watch and listen as Duff, Axl and Slash do talking head introductions to each new studio track. There could be some in-studio mini docs. Interviews with producer, the band. Debut the new video. Some tour highlight reels. But like hosted live by the band.

A few of the 'bigger' record stores in the metropolis' could even have live, in person, hosts. Lana Del Ray or whoever else go the tour jackets. Maybe Jonesey. 

It would be electric!!

It would be reminiscent of the UYI releases with the packed record stores. And the events at the record stores themselves get streamed (with like a million people watching from home) and local news covers it. And then the bands stream to the stores will be available on line in the following days for even more publicity. It trends on socials all day the next day. Radio plays clips from the live stream for weeks to introduce the new track they are about to play.

Something like that would be historical.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Speculating is entertaining (and free), but many times when we do it we forget that Slash and Duff know Axl (and they've known him for a long time and better than many other people) and we don't. They know what Axl is like, how he works and that he overthinks things, so they knew what they would have to deal with when they reunited. I'm also sure that Duff prepared Slash for the specifics he'd have to deal with, Axl's current mindset, TB etc., and that's probably how the "initiative" to play CD songs came about. Plus, they're big boys now. I think they all want the reunion to work (Axl included). So, even if the situation is not ideal for Slash and Duff in regards to new music, they'll stick around and there's no way it'll be 1994-96 again. 

This doesn't mean that Slash and Duff are the same as Fortus and Dizzy, and that Slash has taken over Fortus' role in interviews (which seems to be a popular opinion on here). With all due respect to the people who believe that (and to Richard himself), they're way off in understanding the history and the dynamics of the band, imho, if they think that Slash's word is as worth and has the same leverage as Richard's. Sure, it always comes down to Axl in the end, because Axl can't be forced to do anything (including releasing music) - not by Slash, not by TB, not by the label or anyone else. But that's how it's always been at least since 1988 (if not since 1985). At most, probably, if he's in a positive state of mind, motivated and trusts someone, he can listen to opinions and be influenced. Hopefully, he's in in such state of mind now.

Slash is not being Fortus. He's being Slash and does what Slash always did when in Guns N' Roses in regards to interviews, always being the one who did the most press (and literally having done thousands of interviews over the years): he's not speaking for himself, but for the "collective GnR mindset; which, a lot of times, was Axl's mindset (like with the trilogy videos or the 1992 big band, for example) that Slash and Duff agreed upon in order to keep things going. The only exception of that was 1995-96, when Axl and Slash were fighting or not talking to each other, and Slash was speaking for himself and antagonizing Axl in public. 

So the current mindset is, likely, that Axl (in classic Axl fashion) is overthinking what to release and how to release it in order to be successful and make an impact; and that's what Slash is expressing, putting it through a filter, in the interviews.

i think you are right, it that Slash says is most Axl  thought, and not Slash thought.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

So duff and slash are happy to do another 4 year tour without doing any gnr new material knowing they are creative and the amount of instrumentals etc axl is sitting on and would like to expand the gnr discography?. Im sure deep down duff and slash know what the gnr name means to fans, even if axl doesnt.

Duff and Slash continue to be creative in terms of musical output with their own solo projects or guest appearances (like Ozzy's latest album). No, they aren't gonna get "bored" with playing Appetite songs. Together, they play giant arenas and stadiums. Then they get to go play intimate music halls with their other projects. Best of both worlds.

5 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

1. The band cameraderie. The way he is onstage with this guys, in terms of chemistry, is different to gnr. I personally think hes not satisfied with the gnr lineup. I think its frank or mel. Maybe both. During the illusion tours and VR they didnt need to "teach"sorum what tempo to play in. Unlike frank.

When did the band have to teach Frank what tempo to play in? I'm genuinely curious. GNR plays a little more up-tempo now versus the studio recordings or old live stuff. That's a band decision. That isn't "teaching" Frank to play in tempo.

37 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

He plays to click track due to the on screen projections/light show. It’s all automated and planned out. Unlike the UYI era 

imagine what Frank the man would sound like w/o click track.

...and then there are actually a few that put him in the same sentance with Matt/Adler...

If they can come up with at least two songs worthy of being singles, (catchy hard rockers). The promo is pretty well done, maybe put one of them in a tv commercial for beer or something. I can’t put on the bloody radio or tv on right now without hearing dance monkey, and despite how much I hate that song it’s very hard to ignore.

im really really hoping that the time it’s taking to get a release is because they really want to put out a quality album that lives up to the legacy, which would explain a lot considering most of the CD era stuff is trash imo.

Edited by megaguns1982

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

LOL, are you suggesting that because Frank plays to a click that he's not a good drummer? 

And yeah, I wouldn't put him in the same sentence with Matt and Adler seeing as Frank is a far superior drummer to both :)

I thought it was pretty selfexplanetory...but I will explain it further.  Frank is so shit, imagine what he would sound like w/o click track.

ie. Unlike Sorum/Adler, it is all automated and planned out and Frank still manages to sound like one of the worst drummers the world has ever heard off playing in a half serious band.

Good now?

Frank, there had been stranger things said before, though, posters now do know who is hiding behind the nick.

Edited by shotsfired cro
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

I thought it was pretty selfexplanetory...but I will explain it further.  Frank is so shit, imagine what he would sound like w/o click track.

ie. Unlike Sorum/Adler, it is all uatmated and planned out and Frank still manages to sound like one of the worst drummers the world has ever heard off playing in a half serious band.

Good now?

Frank, there had been stranger things said before, though, posters now do know who is hiding behind the nick.

Ah, OK... It was just your usual gibberish about how you don't like Frank. Got it. 

17 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

If they can come up with at least two songs worthy of being singles, (catchy hard rockers). The promo is pretty well done, maybe put one of them in a tv commercial for beer or something. I can’t put on the bloody radio or tv on right now without hearing dance monkey, and despite how much I hate that song it’s very hard to ignore.

im really really hoping that the time it’s taking to get a release is because they really want to put out a quality album that lives up to the legacy, which would explain a lot considering most of the CD era stuff is trash imo.

Commercials are how music is sold now. GNR almost did it with Chinese and the Harley Davidson ad, but it got switched to Paradise City for some reason. 

My biggest hope about anything happening soon is that the next show is involved with the Super Bowl hype. I'm clutching at straws but I'm hoping that means they've got some sort of deal with the NFL for promotion of new music. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

ie. Unlike Sorum/Adler, it is all uatmated and planned out and Frank still manages to sound like one of the worst drummers the world has ever heard off playing in a half serious band.

Good now?

When the only detail of criticism is “sounds like shit”...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

My biggest hope about anything happening soon is that the next show is involved with the Super Bowl hype. I'm clutching at straws but I'm hoping that means they've got some sort of deal with the NFL for promotion of new music. 

Would be nice but I’m prepared for disappointment. We’ve all had many years of it (some half a lifetime or more) so why get our hopes up now lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Would be nice but I’m prepared for disappointment. We’ve all had many years of it (some half a lifetime or more) so why get our hopes up now lol

Nothing to be disappointed about. It’s business as usual in that case. If it happens, great. If not, there are plenty of other bands who are active. Learned long ago to anticipate nothing with this band  

Frank didnt use a click track in 2006-2007.

He sounded fine there. 

Even 2016-2019 i think he uses a clicktrack to count the songs in but i doubt they use one during the songs. 

Other wise double talking jive or coma wouldnt ever speed up towards the end.

Even some performance of locomotive had the outro speed up a little. Thats is pretty much impossible with click

Edited by rebeldhipi
  • Like 1