The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Getting ready for disappointment once again.... the nature of the beast that is being a GNR fan. 

Few things do point to something happening though which is encouraging! Confirmation that recordings have taken  place, odd timing for the first show of 2020 with a 5 week break before the next gig, the leaks last year..... 

Thinking back to 2006, the leaks prompted songs to be included i  the set 2 years before Chinese actually came out. Not impossible the same scenario could play out again.... 

Hoping for Axl to drop the 'downloading motherfuckers' line before cracking on with Hardschool 😜🎤

You know I've been reading through Richard's endless list of interviews alluding to new music, and this line from December 2014 stood out: https://blabbermouth.net/news/richard-fortus-on-new-guns-n-roses-album-axl-rose-wants-to-create-stuff-and-release-it-when-its-ready/

"I know this week he's [GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose] recording a lot of stuff, vocally.

I don't remember reading this, though some speculated Axl was in the studio with Pitman at the time. The fact that Axl was working really hard in the studio as recently as a year before the reunion is actually a really good sign that he intends to put something out at some point.

5 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

You know I've been reading through Richard's endless list of interviews alluding to new music, and this line from December 2014 stood out: https://blabbermouth.net/news/richard-fortus-on-new-guns-n-roses-album-axl-rose-wants-to-create-stuff-and-release-it-when-its-ready/

"I know this week he's [GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose] recording a lot of stuff, vocally.

I don't remember reading this, though some speculated Axl was in the studio with Pitman at the time. The fact that Axl was working really hard in the studio as recently as a year before the reunion is actually a really good sign that he intends to put something out at some point.

We know Axl is quite prolific when it comes to creating songs, but is terrible with releasing them.

Just now, Live Like a Suicide said:

We know Axl is quite prolific when it comes to creating songs, but is terrible with releasing them.

Yeah, prolific in the 1997-2007 period, but I got the impression he kind of stopped giving a shit about working on music around 2011, so I'm pleased to see he was still working on stuff after that.

2 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Yeah, prolific in the 1997-2007 period, but I got the impression he kind of stopped giving a shit about working on music around 2011, so I'm pleased to see he was still working on stuff after that.

True. I think another quote from Fortus regarding his recording on Slash material before the reunion is also good. I imagine by that time, he already knew that Slash and Duff were rejoining the band.

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I think the big difference for me these days is that I really don't care that much any more. IF a new GN'R album is ever released... Sweet! If not, no biggie. 

I used to get really mad over GN'Rs complete inability to capitalize on so many perfect opportunities that have come and gone over the years. After a while, I wouldn't even get mad any more, I would just laugh at it when it happened. 

Now, here we are with yet another perfect opportunity for them to make a move. If nothing happens this weekend, I'm good. I've got concerts I'm looking forward to tomorrow night and Saturday night. Then I've got new albums from tons of other artists to look forward to starting next Friday. 

So if nothing happens this weekend with GNR, it just doesn't matter all that much to me anymore. 

Sounds like you're a stage ahead of me. 

I'm still very much at the "what a massive waste of talent" stage. It makes me quite sad really - and certainly frustrated - to think of the lost time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Sounds like you're a stage ahead of me. 

I'm still very much at the "what a massive waste of talent" stage. It makes me quite sad really - and certainly frustrated - to think of the lost time. 

I’m in your boat mate. I still sometimes wonder if Axl wakes up in the morning, looks in the mirror, and hates himself for throwing away 20+ years of his life and what could have been with Slash.

2 minutes ago, MattyIce3924 said:

I’m in your boat mate. I still sometimes wonder if Axl wakes up in the morning, looks in the mirror, and hates himself for throwing away 20+ years of his life and what could have been with Slash.

I guess not, because it's entirely within his hands to change things. Even if brand-new material isn't forthcoming, we know there is a wealth of music and ideas there that could be released tomorrow, and could have been released over the years as they were done. 

I truly believed, all through the CD years, that amazing new material was just around the corner. I really don't want to hear all that stuff in sad circumstances (i.e. after Axl passes and everyone tries to make as much money out of him as possible). 

I don't know what causes his complete fear of letting people hear stuff, wither its a confidence thing or not,  but sometimes I think I'd just love the opportunity to try and persuade him what a truly great songwriter he is, and how just opening the doors a little bit might not be as bad as he seems to think it is. 

I love so much other music, but nothing as much as I love GNR, which makes it so frustrating that there's so little to go on. 

In 2020 i strongly believe all the “Axl was recording stuff” was purely damage control. The guy probably had some fire between 1998-2002 but then everything start to fall apart for him and his vision and everything got canned.

This band is over creatively.

What pisses me off about today is that even this is not definite. I mean, if nothing happens, we can still say maybe it will only start in March. And if nothing happens then, we can say the "new chapter" was only associated with the European dates after all, wasn’t it (i.e. May)... and then maybe they'll hint something during summer and it could go on like this...

But it’s bullshit. If they wanna do something new, they need to start today. I still believe something will happen rather sooner than later.

Edited by jamillos

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I think the big difference for me these days is that I really don't care that much any more. IF a new GN'R album is ever released... Sweet! If not, no biggie. 

I used to get really mad over GN'Rs complete inability to capitalize on so many perfect opportunities that have come and gone over the years. After a while, I wouldn't even get mad any more, I would just laugh at it when it happened. 

Now, here we are with yet another perfect opportunity for them to make a move. If nothing happens this weekend, I'm good. I've got concerts I'm looking forward to tomorrow night and Saturday night. Then I've got new albums from tons of other artists to look forward to starting next Friday. 

So if nothing happens this weekend with GNR, it just doesn't matter all that much to me anymore. 

I am almost at your point.  I am going to the show in 12 hours, I have really good seats.  If they play the same NITL set list I have seen 5 times already, I will still enjoy the show, but than I officially will graduate to your point of view.  I won't get mad anymore, I just won't give a shit anymore either.  Weirdly I enjoy seeing them so much live, that similar set lists don't bother me much.  would I love a new song, or another deep cut put in ? Sure, but I also realize 97% of the audience is seeing them for the first time this tour and the band wants to give them the best possible show. They are not going to cater to the 1% ( us ) who care about if they add 1 more song to the set.  However, if there is no announcement, or nothing amazing happening tonight, I am finished hoping anymore. 

• Like 1

It is all so simple when you stop expecting anything from the band. When everything that happens is just an positive surprise. Then you can't get disappointed and you can actually take some pleasure knowing the band is still active and touring, at least. Better than if they just quit. Just don't expect anything. It will save you a lot of frustration and disappointment.

• Like 2

We would’ve heard something by now. Probably a website rebrand, leaks or heavy rumors, more favorable interviews with band members, not to mention it’s come Friday without any new single drop or announcement. I think the ship has officially sailed.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1