The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

There's still hope. 

and that's my main thing when it comes to Gn'R: no matter how many times Axl doesn't release new albums, sometimes he does, but maybe only when the conditions are right for a big release and the latest musical statement from Gn'R is actually ready. Does seem like making as much money as possible first was added recently to the band's  rule book though but maybe cause they're older now and the temptation to hit the nostalgia note hard was too great to resist.

doing one of the biggest tours in history is such a Guns N' Roses thing. Maybe they'll do it backwards (lol): first the huge tour to celebrate they're back and then a double album with another huge tour in the future. And maybe not, but that's Axl. I totally believe that his preference is to go out with a bang with at least a final record with Slash and Duff.

Edited by Rovim

Release a new album isn't negative, it could be positive to get new fans, a lot of bans do that, and then touring only play some of the new tunes. I saw Bon Jovi in 2003 in Madrid, and they played their hits and two or three from the last album.

2 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

I just realized that we've been waiting for new GNR music way longer now than when we waited for Chinese Democracy. Oh my God was released in 1999, so the wait between that and CD was only 9 years. We've had no new GNR music in 12 years now. No, SOYL or Rock the Rock are not new GNR material. On top of that they played plenty of CD material live back then, so we could listen to those. We truly were spoiled back then compared to this crap.

This band has been creatively dead 12 years. To me the leaks are the only good thing that's happened with GNR since 2008. I never even cared about a reunion.

That’s one way of looking at it. If you take it as waiting for new material from "GNR" as a brand, then yes. If you look at it from the actual, real-life point of view, it’s only been some 4 years since these particular guys got together again. And that’s how I look at it. Whatever was or wasn’t going on before regarding new material doesn’t matter too much. Only in the sense that Axl already has a lot of material from that era. Sure, but it’s still "only" been 4 years since the reunion, and 2009–2014 has nothing to do with this line-up. Well, that’s the disadvantage of being a fan of a band that changes line-ups like clockwork.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

and that's my main thing when it comes to Gn'R: no matter how many times Axl doesn't release new albums, sometimes he does, but maybe only when the conditions are right for a big release and the latest musical statement from Gn'R is actually ready. Does seem like making as much money as possible first was added recently to the band's  rule book though but maybe cause they're older now and the temptation to hit the nostalgia note hard was too great to resist.

doing one of the biggest tours in history is such a Guns N' Roses thing. Maybe they'll do it backwards (lol): first the huge tour to celebrate they're back and then a double album with another huge tour in the future. And maybe not, but that's Axl. I totally believe that his preference is to go out with a bang with at least a final record with Slash and Duff.

Right, and I don’t even think this should be the final opportunity, Axl going with a bang etc. I mean, we can clearly see the problems of live shows, but at the same time we know he can sound awesome in the studio, and we’ve all heard Axl/DC. He needs to get to the point where he stops the never-ending touring and saves his voice for some serious work. There could be more albums coming in the future, provided they don’t tour like crazy for several years each time. There’s nothing making them do that. At least not any more. They can do like 20 shows a year and that’s that. Or release short EPs with intermittent concerting. And so forth, the possibilities are aplenty.

13 minutes ago, jamillos said:

That’s one way of looking at it. If you take it as waiting for new material from "GNR" as a brand, then yes. If you look at it from the actual, real-life point of view, it’s only been some 4 years since these particular guys got together again. And that’s how I look at it. Whatever was or wasn’t going on before regarding new material doesn’t matter too much. Only in the sense that Axl already has a lot of material from that era. Sure, but it’s still "only" been 4 years since the reunion, and 2009–2014 has nothing to do with this line-up. Well, that’s the disadvantage of being a fan of a band that changes line-ups like clockwork.

If you think that Axl's just gonna scrap all the material that he wrote during 2009-2014, then I don't know what to tell you. From Axl's point of view there's only one GNR. That's why they still play CD-era material live cause they are GNR songs just like the unreleased material is GNR material. Just like Hollywood Rose songs were released as GNR songs, so are the CD-era songs gonna be released at some point as GNR material.

But of course the reunion complicated things and that's the main reason why I never wanted a reunion cause I knew it would delay the release of the next album. Stuff has to be re-recorded and I guess they want to write some brand new songs as well. 

You can look at this as a brand new band that's been around only for 4 years. That doesn't change the fact that they have tons of material already written that we know that they're gonna use on the next album. I mean they keep talking about the songs that Axl wrote with the old lineup and not once have they suggested that they wouldn't use that material. So why is it so difficult to release the damn album when there's so many songs already written? The album was basically done before the reunion. Why do they have to tour all the time? Why not focus 100% on the album? We've been waiting for it 12 years already.

• GNFNR 1

35 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

If you think that Axl's just gonna scrap all the material that he wrote during 2009-2014, then I don't know what to tell you. From Axl's point of view there's only one GNR. That's why they still play CD-era material live cause they are GNR songs just like the unreleased material is GNR material. Just like Hollywood Rose songs were released as GNR songs, so are the CD-era songs gonna be released at some point as GNR material.

But of course the reunion complicated things and that's the main reason why I never wanted a reunion cause I knew it would delay the release of the next album. Stuff has to be re-recorded and I guess they want to write some brand new songs as well. 

You can look at this as a brand new band that's been around only for 4 years. That doesn't change the fact that they have tons of material already written that we know that they're gonna use on the next album. I mean they keep talking about the songs that Axl wrote with the old lineup and not once have they suggested that they wouldn't use that material. So why is it so difficult to release the damn album when there's so many songs already written? The album was basically done before the reunion. Why do they have to tour all the time? Why not focus 100% on the album? We've been waiting for it 12 years already.

I never said or even implied that Axl would scrap anything from that era. I was talking about the current band’s point of view.

And to be honest, even though the touring obviously delayed any prospect of new music, I’m not that obsessed with new records that I would prefer the NuGNR line-up to have stayed together just to get another album out of it. What I always wanted happened – Axl and Slash buried the hatchet, and the old band is, more or less, together again. To me, that thing itself is better than CD II, whatever that would have sounded like.

While I’m sure earlier stuff will be on the record, it will also consist of new stuff (and maybe even some old Guns material, who knows) that they’ve created together since 2015/16. If you think Slash would be satisfied with a new album where he’s only revamped existing songs made by someone else, you’d have to be crazy. There will be some Axl’s old lyrics plus perhaps some new ones, but there’s no way most of the album’s material wouldn’t be new (in terms of Slash’s and Duff’s contribution). Which means it takes time. 

And yes, the touring needs to stop, since the chance they’ll play anything new diminishes every day now.

Edited by jamillos

5 minutes ago, ZODIAC said:

"Within the next six months" 😂 Yeah, right...

Why is EVERY Gnr management bullshitting us?

To be fair, he said that when, at the end of September? Still time. Not that I believe it though; I think it'll take way more time. 

11 hours ago, Pinball Wizard said:

Sorry for the long post, but I had to take it out of my chest. Bands like gnr don't need to put an effort to release new music and risk losing 40k attendence per show during a tour if they have to replace the classics for new tunes the majority of the people won't care about. At least as much. Would they be ok to tour with the big three in 10k/15k arenas backing these songs that reflect more where they are today as artists and losing a lot of money in the process? Seriously, I don't think so. And I probably wouldn't too if I were on their shoes. Because the general feeling is "we don't need to prove ourselves anymore". If someone wants to risk something, go and release a solo record, play small clubs to have that rush and then come back to your day job at gnr to make more money to endorse your next project.

This is a good point, and Slash and Duff have been doing this (and will continue doing it regardless of whether there is new GnR music or not). The problem is that Axl wants to do everything under the GnR moniker and hasn't expressed any interest in doing something creative outside of it since 1994 (except for a couple of times where he mentioned he'd like to write movie soundtracks). So the only way to ever hear new music from Axl is if there is new GnR music. I don't know why that is - maybe it's lack of confidence, or that he identifies too much with GnR as an idea or as a brand, or a combination of both, or something else, too. But it is what it is.

Personally I'd be content if Axl released music as a solo artist or under another moniker. There's a lot of things he could do: a piano based album, a duets album... He could do an "Axl and friends" type of collaboration album on which he could also include stuff from the vault that he doesn't intend to release with GnR: there could be Down By The Ocean or another song with Izzy, Going Down with Tommy, Atlas Shrugged with Brian May, a song with Angus Young, songs featuring other musicians he would like to work with... Then he could do small tours for it and also big shows with GnR playing the back catalogue - and even better, release one last album with GnR, too.

I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone else, but I think if Axl did that, it would take away a lot of the frustration caused by the lack of new GnR material, at least as far as the fans who supported and liked the NuGnR lineups go (a minority within the GnR fanbase as a whole, but a big portion of the hardcore fans on the forums), as Axl's presence was enough for them to support the new endeavour, and they believed in the potential of the music made by him and the people he recruited. I think that what a lot of these fans want, basically, is new music from Axl. 

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Axl and Slash buried the hatchet, and the old band is, more or less, together again. To me, that thing itself is better than CD II, whatever that would have sounded like.

The reunion is cool and all. It's great that they buried the hatchet and I enjoyed seeing them on stage together, but at the end of the day what I got out of the reunion was just one single show. From CD2 I would have got years of enjoyment. I listen to music pretty much daily, all the time, so a new album would have given me infinitely more enjoyment than the reunion.

56 minutes ago, jamillos said:

There will be some Axl’s old lyrics plus perhaps some new ones, but there’s no way most of the album’s material wouldn’t be new (in terms of Slash’s and Duff’s contribution). Which means it takes time. 

I think I've been expecting an album with maybe 4 brand new songs, 8 CD-era songs and maybe 2 songs that Axl, Slash and Duff started working on in the nineties. Obviously the CD era songs would be re-recored by Slash and Duff. Some of the songs might change drastically from their original form. But I've been expecting something like that cause it just feels dumb to write everything from scratch when you got so much unreleased material in the vault. But of course the longer it takes for them to release a new album the bigger the portion of brand new songs is starting to feel.

The constant touring feels baffling to me. At some point I thought that they were trying to break some record with the tour, but now the NITL tour has ended and this new tour won't break any records. That's for sure! There's just no point in this tour unless it's about new music. So I don't get it. What are they doing? They don't even seem to enjoy this themselves, so why are they doing this?

If you reread my OP, I created this thread the day the European tour was announced. I was deflated that day as Slash had said in late 2019 that they’d only  have a few dates in SA in 2020 and they’d be focusing on a new album. So naturally, It sucked to hear European dates announced and then more US dates. 

I briefly got my hopes up that just maybe a new album was all ready to go for these dates. Especially with the “all new show” advertising. 

But now I believe that Slash was been truthful in 2019. New music is still far away and getting even further every time more dates are announced. The all new show is simply going to be adding a song or 2 to the set and switching the order a little. 

These new dates are not connected to new music IMO. New music may come at some point, but probably only when sales drop or they actually come off the road for a bit to focus on it. 

11 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

If you reread my OP, I created this thread the day the European tour was announced. I was deflated that day as Slash had said in late 2019 that they’d only  have a few dates in SA in 2020 and they’d be focusing on a new album. So naturally, It sucked to hear European dates announced and then more US dates. 

I briefly got my hopes up that just maybe a new album was all ready to go for these dates. Especially with the “all new show” advertising. 

But now I believe that Slash was been truthful in 2019. New music is still far away and getting even further every time more dates are announced. The all new show is simply going to be adding a song or 2 to the set and switching the order a little. 

These new dates are not connected to new music IMO. New music may come at some point, but probably only when sales drop or they actually come off the road for a bit to focus on it. 

I believe that it takes some time to book a tour, so when Slash talked about only the few SA dates as what was ahead for 2020, he most likely knew about the Euro and US dates but they just weren't "announceable" yet.

I had noticed that in some of Slash's post-show tweets in October 2019, he said "See you sooner than later":

It could have been a typical "thank you" tweet phrasing, but in the light of what we know, he probably meant that there would be a new US tour coming soon.

So Slash must have already known the schedule for the rest of 2020. The question is if these new dates were planned to be in support of new music and if the plan still stands.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

The reunion is cool and all. It's great that they buried the hatchet and I enjoyed seeing them on stage together, but at the end of the day what I got out of the reunion was just one single show. From CD2 I would have got years of enjoyment. I listen to music pretty much daily, all the time, so a new album would have given me infinitely more enjoyment than the reunion.

I think I've been expecting an album with maybe 4 brand new songs, 8 CD-era songs and maybe 2 songs that Axl, Slash and Duff started working on in the nineties. Obviously the CD era songs would be re-recored by Slash and Duff. Some of the songs might change drastically from their original form. But I've been expecting something like that cause it just feels dumb to write everything from scratch when you got so much unreleased material in the vault. But of course the longer it takes for them to release a new album the bigger the portion of brand new songs is starting to feel.

The constant touring feels baffling to me. At some point I thought that they were trying to break some record with the tour, but now the NITL tour has ended and this new tour won't break any records. That's for sure! There's just no point in this tour unless it's about new music. So I don't get it. What are they doing? They don't even seem to enjoy this themselves, so why are they doing this?

As for the either reunion or new album, I think we can have both, the question is when ofc. 

As for the touring, I don't understand it either. I've always been saying NITL should have ended with the end of 2017. We got more, but ok. But now? What's the point? There's still a chance something will happen as of March. Otherwise I don't know, really. 

Edited by jamillos

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I believe that it takes some time to book a tour

With a band this big, it can quickly be 2-3 months for itinerary & contracts and another 2-3 months for presales.

That's six months of varying types of (office) work before they belt out the old hat setlist all over again.

Plus, there's likely ongoing talks with various promoters who want seconds (or thirds) out of the NITL pie.

Guns get money thrown at them from these people, whereas an album today is an excuse to tour.

Apparently no-one with a say thinks CD2 (or some such) would boost ticket sales much further.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This is a good point, and Slash and Duff have been doing this (and will continue doing it regardless of whether there is new GnR music or not). The problem is that Axl wants to do everything under the GnR moniker and hasn't expressed any interest in doing something creative outside of it since 1994 (except for a couple of times where he mentioned he'd like to write movie soundtracks). So the only way to ever hear new music from Axl is if there is new GnR music. I don't know why that is - maybe it's lack of confidence, or that he identifies too much with GnR as an idea or as a brand, or a combination of both, or something else, too. But it is what it is.

Personally I'd be content if Axl released music as a solo artist or under another moniker. There's a lot of things he could do: a piano based album, a duets album... He could do an "Axl and friends" type of collaboration album on which he could also include stuff from the vault that he doesn't intend to release with GnR: there could be Down By The Ocean or another song with Izzy, Going Down with Tommy, Atlas Shrugged with Brian May, a song with Angus Young, songs featuring other musicians he would like to work with... Then he could do small tours for it and also big shows with GnR playing the back catalogue - and even better, release one last album with GnR, too.

I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone else, but I think if Axl did that, it would take away a lot of the frustration caused by the lack of new GnR material, at least as far as the fans who supported and liked the NuGnR lineups go (a minority within the GnR fanbase as a whole, but a big portion of the hardcore fans on the forums), as Axl's presence was enough for them to support the new endeavour, and they believed in the potential of the music made by him and the people he recruited. I think that what a lot of these fans want, basically, is new music from Axl. 

I think it is cause Axl is an insecure guy, then GNR moniker is his umbrella where him feel secure. Isn't same in Slash and Duff case.

• Like 3

I also find it a bit hard to think of when Slash could have worked on a new album... Over the last 4 years, he has toured the world more than once with Guns, released a full album and world tour with SKMC, contributed to albums such as Ozzy, many guest appearances at various shows, Lots of PR for SMKC, Guns rehearsals which apparently last a few weeks. Not to mention all the other things he must do... animal rights, family time etc. 

Difficult to see were he got the time to complete a Guns album. I mean, it is possible... but I would have thought they’d need to disappear for a few months to get it done. 

11 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I think new music will be a reality. Most likely matter of when not if. I think the band or maybe slash has mention their discography is small and it does nag at them.  I personally think if they arnt into releasing a new album a new song as part of a new tour woud be good. Release it digitally as a single, and would give the band some excitement putting the setlist together rather than relying on their old stuff. But the band are old school and want to do album tours.i remenber slash saying in an interview he wants guns to go back to doing album, tour, album tour cycle. We just have to be patient 🤷‍♂️.

I was sure it was actually Axl who said this.....which makes it odd that nothing has yet been released.

5 hours ago, Ratam said:

I think it is cause Axl is an insecure guy, then GNR moniker is his umbrella where him feel secure. Isn't same in Slash and Duff case.

Insecure guy, no Man, no, he Love money, This TOUR Could be called TOUR of BILLIONS, GNR never cares to fans. No would be a new album