The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly. "they don't owe us anything" has always been the weakest argument, IMO. 

Then they must be forging the numbers that services like Spotify are listening. 

Not just from labels but also indie artists.

A lot of people listen when they commute, while they work or when they are outside doing other activities. The way people listen is mainly background noise. When they are at home their focus is most likely elsewhere 

21 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

Ive always hated that "they dont owe us anything" argument too.  NO BAND owes us anything, but all other bands write and release music.  Its not asking for anything that any other band does. And to your point, stop talking about new music if you dont want to release any

It's a ludicrous argument that negates all critical commentary of any art form whatsoever in the same way that 'well unless you can do better you shouldn't criticize' does. 

• Like 1

Also people stream by 'mood' playlists like "Romantic dinner" and "Back yard BBQ." All manner of things that arent taking place either. Im sure the AI will drum up some "Forget about the zompoc" and "... And I feel fine" playlists in a jiffy!

I bet this is a great chance for parents to bring out the old cd/vinyl collections to show the kids, too. Which would reduce streaming numbers.

Edited by soon

Bearing in mind they’ve always wanted to do these things "their way", I don’t think they’d go for something like an online-only release. It’s not merely about the new music in our computers or phones. It’s the stuff you can buy in shops, it’s collecting physical things, it’s events that surround a new release, people gathering, flashing around new merchandize, plus brand new tour supporting it, obviously. And none of these things are possible now. Even if you look at it strictly from the business side, it would be poor. 
What they can do though is work on it, while they have shitloads of time for now. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WildStar said:

The new Pearl Jam album is out this Friday. They've probably had a good few pre-orders

Also the new Dua Lipa, which is a way bigger release than Haim. 

I think I understand what Slash said regarding the release. It's like: "are we gonna release a full album now or just drop singles all year?". I've been saying this for some time now, I think Hard School being the only new song in the setlist tells a lot more than people give credit for. 

Also: a new GNR album is a HUGE deal for them. It's not just another release like it is Pearl Jam. Of course it's not a big deal outside the rock world anymore, but new songs from Axl/Slash/Duff would certainly make the headlines. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

Also: a new GNR album is a HUGE deal for them. It's not just another release like it is Pearl Jam. Of course it's not a big deal outside the rock world anymore, but new songs from Axl/Slash/Duff would certainly make the headlines. 

Yes that's what I was saying earlier. This isn't your average record release.

2 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yes that's what I was saying earlier. This isn't your average record release.

Exactly (BTW, you're 100% right about SOYL).

I'm a big Fiona Apple fan. She's just as messed up as Axl, and she sure takes her sweet time to release records - the last one was back in 2012. But she has a new record done now, and it deserved attention with a huge profile-like interview on The New Yorker magazine. Actually because she takes her time, any new release is an event. The same logic would work for GNR.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I think I understand what Slash said regarding the release. It's like: "are we gonna release a full album now or just drop singles all year?". I've been saying this for some time now, I think Hard School being the only new song in the setlist tells a lot more than people give credit for. 

That's true a GNR album is huge. But there's only one way to release it. And that's Release It! 

All this down time really does provide them with a lot of extra time they didn’t have to really think about how they want to go about releasing the album (i.e. promoting it, marketing it, etc). Will they actually make use of it and come to a consensus? ...probably not, but time will tell. Once this is all over and there is still no sign of any progress from them, then that’ll tell us all we need to know. But I think having Hardschool on the setlist and rehearsing it with that new intro is a good indicator that something has to be coming. 

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

There's no way a new GNR album is a bigger deal than a new Taylor Swift or Lady Gaga album in 2020. Neither in sales or media attention.

This idea that a new GNR album is some sort of sacred monument that couldn't possibly be released in a normal way because it's just too important and valuable etc etc is just more excuses for not doing anything. They're an old rock band with a rapidly dwindling small hardcore fanbase and an audience made up of people who couldn't give a fuck about them beyond buying a ticket to play mass karaoke for two songs and dressing up like it's 1989 for a night. 

We wildly overestimate how much the general public cares about this band because we're in a bubble on here. 

This is wrong, quite frankly. I'm not justifying excuses, but the idea that a new GNR album will not be a big deal is wrong.

Taylor Swift's Fearless album in 2010 was at number 1 on Billboard for 11 weeks(non consecutively, couldn't find the weeks in a row stats). 1989 at the end of 2014 was number 1 on Billboard for 10 weeks(once again, non consecutively). Taylor's most recent album, Lover(which based on what I've read was the best selling album in the US in 2019, correct me if I'm wrong) was knocked off the number one spot after a week by Tool's first album in 13 years, Fear Inoculum. Honestly, I haven't listened to Tool and hadn't heard of them before this news came out but if Tool can beat out Taylor Swift I'm sure the fist GNR release with Slash and Axl in 30+ years can.

November Rain is also the first video made before YouTube's creation to reach 1 billion views (end of 2018), and the first video before the 2000's to reach that many views. SCOM is the first video from the 1980's to reach 1 billion views at the end of 2019(and I believe the third music video released before 2000 to get there, behind November Rain first and Bohemian Rhapsbody second), beating out all Michael Jackson video's from the 80's by a long shot.. Billie Jean, his most viewed, has 750 million views as of today. I can't exactly remember where I read it, but I recall reading that GNR had the largest band presence on YouTube, it said South America was helping GNR achieve this where it was hugely popular. 

And no insult meant, but I think your taking a kind of superior attitude by presuming that there isn't GNR fans in the general public and that people are just getting tickets for two songs(would seem strange to have one of the highest grossing tours of all time based on two songs). Sure we're in a bubble here, but there's plenty of hardcore GNR fans out there that have no interest/knowledge in this message board. Clearly based on Youtube views alone the general public cares. And I've met a good few at the two shows I've been at, and have plenty of friends people interested in GNR beyond that. The new album, if it ever happens will absolutely be a big deal 

Edited by registra
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I think Slash could have meant 2 things: if they're going to release a full album, do they go digital release only or old school and: maybe a full album is not the way to go cause they can release an EP or drop singles like you've mentioned (like Bumble did a few years ago)

the problem with that is I personally don't see Axl going that route. Purely a guess based on nothing but what if he likes that whole old school thing of the physical copy, event kind of thing. He did say he cared about booklets and shit like that. If you release just 1 tune every month, just an EP, and not a full LP first, it's a different thing and if you're into the experience of listening to a full album and your goal is to absorb the listener in your musical vision, maybe that dilutes your artistic intentions.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, GNRfanJen said:

All this down time really does provide them with a lot of extra time they didn’t have to really think about how they want to go about releasing the album (i.e. promoting it, marketing it, etc). Will they actually make use of it and come to a consensus? ...probably not, but time will tell. Once this is all over and there is still no sign of any progress from them, then that’ll tell us all we need to know. But I think having Hardschool on the setlist and rehearsing it with that new intro is a good indicator that something has to be coming. 

Depends who’s actually available to work at the label right now. Takes two to tangle in this situation...Also the lawyers. Throw on top that summer US tour is now in jeopardy. It doesn’t make a good situation. A lot is in the air industry wide and unpredictability is a huge factor when planning these things 

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Ah.....ok, I figured this was coming back to the tired old "they don't owe us anything" argument. 

I didn't want to jump the gun and say that first, but I figured that's where this was heading. 

As a reminder: it's not the fans who have continually promised new material is coming. It's Axl and every other member of GN'R who's done that. 

So if the "they don't owe us anything" argument is going to hold any water, then every member of the band needs to stop telling us music is coming. 

Who says new music is not coming? I don't understand what the argument is. You seem to have it in your head that bands have to act according to what is normal or standard in your mind. But that is not how it works.

It's going to take them as long as it's going to take them. Just because most bands release a lot more music, doesn't mean that it will be the same way for this particular band. 

What is exactly the argument here? That it sucks that Axl has released so little music? That Slash has been back in the band for 4 years and we're still waiting for a record? Yeah, it does suck, but that is how this band operates apparently and they have every right to do whatever they want or take as long as they want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

If they did release an album, what would keep us coming here? A new Axl/Slash album is their ace card, and they're gonna keep dangling that carrot cuz it's really the last move Axl has left to make. 

I don't understand this argument at all. So if GNR releases a new album, you think people would suddenly stop coming to this site or talking about the band generally? Makes zero sense. I bet the site would crash just on the announcement of an album. Then people would be here regularly for years discussing the songs. They still do with CD. Among the many nonsensical things in the last 123 pages, this claim ranks pretty high up there. 

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Exactly (BTW, you're 100% right about SOYL).

I'm a big Fiona Apple fan. She's just as messed up as Axl, and she sure takes her sweet time to release records - the last one was back in 2012. But she has a new record done now, and it deserved attention with a huge profile-like interview on The New Yorker magazine. Actually because she takes her time, any new release is an event. The same logic would work for GNR.

Thank you

Yeah if they announced a new release they could do all the big interviews, Rolling Stone etc. All those journalists would be lined up to interview them (especially if it was an interview with all 3 of them).

51 minutes ago, registra said:

This is wrong, quite frankly. I'm not justifying excuses, but the idea that a new GNR album will not be a big deal is wrong.

Taylor Swift's Fearless album in 2010 was at number 1 on Billboard for 11 weeks(non consecutively, couldn't find the weeks in a row stats). 1989 at the end of 2014 was number 1 on Billboard for 10 weeks(once again, non consecutively). Taylor's most recent album, Lover(which based on what I've read was the best selling album in the US in 2019, correct me if I'm wrong) was knocked off the number one spot after a week by Tool's first album in 13 years, Fear Inoculum. Honestly, I haven't listened to Tool and hadn't heard of them before this news came out but if Tool can beat out Taylor Swift I'm sure the fist GNR release with Slash and Axl in 30+ years can.

November Rain is also the first video made before YouTube's creation to reach 1 billion views (end of 2018), and the first video before the 2000's to reach that many views. SCOM is the first video from the 1980's to reach 1 billion views at the end of 2019(and I believe the third music video released before 2000 to get there, behind November Rain first and Bohemian Rhapsbody second), beating out all Michael Jackson video's from the 80's by a long shot.. Billie Jean, his most viewed, has 750 million views as of today. I can't exactly remember where I read it, but I recall reading that GNR had the largest band presence on YouTube, it said South America was helping GNR achieve this where it was hugely popular. 

And no insult meant, but I think your taking a kind of superior attitude by presuming that there isn't GNR fans in the general public and that people are just getting tickets for two songs(would seem strange to have one of the highest grossing tours of all time based on two songs). Sure we're in a bubble here, but there's plenty of hardcore GNR fans out there that have no interest/knowledge in this message board. Clearly based on Youtube views alone the general public cares. And I've met a good few at the two shows I've been at, and have plenty of friends people interested in GNR beyond that. The new album, if it ever happens will absolutely be a big deal 

Those are good stats. 100% agree.

31 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Who says new music is not coming? I don't understand what the argument is. You seem to have it in your head that bands have to act according to what is normal or standard in your mind. But that is not how it works.

It's going to take them as long as it's going to take them. Just because most bands release a lot more music, doesn't mean that it will be the same way for this particular band. 

What is exactly the argument here? That it sucks that Axl has released so little music? That Slash has been back in the band for 4 years and we're still waiting for a record? Yeah, it does suck, but that is how this band operates apparently and they have every right to do whatever they want or take as long as they want.

None of that is argument so much as it is fact. And again, if they're not going to release music they should just say that instead if continually telling fans that music is coming. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, EvanG said:

t's going to take them as long as it's going to take them. Just because most bands release a lot more music, doesn't mean that it will be the same way for this particular band. 

That's true, apparently this is a band that is only capable of releasing material after every 15 years minimum lol I have long accepted that unfortunate fact

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

None of that is argument so much as it is fact. And again, if they're not going to release music they should just say that instead if continually telling fans that music is coming. 

right but I can't figure out that Axl are not proud of some song he has and want just to keep for him

49 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Since the reunion Slash released an album with Myles. Duff released a solo album. Dizzy released an album featuring Fortus and Frank. 

So all the members (except Axl) can release albums. But they just can't do it all together? That doesn't make sense. 

They have mentioned, in interviews, that they have come up with new stuff for over a year at least. Then Slash comes out with they don't know how to release it? But they have so they do know. 

Put some teasers on all social media platforms, do the poster thing like for Locked N Loaded, release a single then set a date for the release. Put pre-order packages together with a shitload of options with merch. Easy

Judging by the USA ticket sales for 2020 they need this

2 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Since the reunion Slash released an album with Myles. Duff released a solo album. Dizzy released an album featuring Fortus and Frank. 

So all the members (except Axl) can release albums. But they just can't do it all together? That doesn't make sense. 

They have mentioned, in interviews, that they have come up with new stuff for over a year at least. Then Slash comes out with they don't know how to release it? But they have so they do know. 

Put some teasers on all social media platforms, do the poster thing like for Locked N Loaded, release a single then set a date for the release. Put pre-order packages together with a shitload of options with merch. Easy

Judging by the USA ticket sales for 2020 they need this

The US tour dates are in serious jeopardy of being cancelled/postponed. Even if they had plans, this situation changes things 

6 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Why doesn't it make sense? Every band is different. I summed a couple of reasons earlier. Maybe they don't make sense, maybe they do. And again... who says that there is no new record coming out? It might take ages, as you can expect with this band, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

34 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I agree. Look, I don't read this sub-forum every day, so maybe I am missing something, but has it been confirmed that there won't be a new record coming out? If not, then everything I said still applies.

23 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Why doesn't it make sense? Every band is different. I summed a couple of reasons earlier. Maybe they don't make sense, maybe they do. And again... who says that there is no new record coming out? It might take ages, as you can expect with this band, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

I agree. Look, I don't read this sub-forum every day, so maybe I am missing something, but has it been confirmed that there won't be a new record coming out? If not, then everything I said still applies.

It doesn't make sense because GNR members are releasing albums. But they won't release an album with everyone together. 

Every band is different but every band releases albums because they are musicians and that's what they do. But not GNR. It shouldn't take ages and judging by the USA ticket sales they need to stop pissing about and release the fucker. It doesn't have to be complicated 

Just now, WildStar said:

It doesn't make sense because GNR members are releasing albums. But they won't release an album with everyone together. 

Again, there can be reasons for it that you and I know nothing about. I don't think it's fair to judge when we simply don't know anything about it.