Jump to content
jacdaniel

The "New Album" Thread

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Who says new music is not coming? I don't understand what the argument is. You seem to have it in your head that bands have to act according to what is normal or standard in your mind. But that is not how it works.

It's going to take them as long as it's going to take them. Just because most bands release a lot more music, doesn't mean that it will be the same way for this particular band. 

What is exactly the argument here? That it sucks that Axl has released so little music? That Slash has been back in the band for 4 years and we're still waiting for a record? Yeah, it does suck, but that is how this band operates apparently and they have every right to do whatever they want or take as long as they want.

 

Since the reunion Slash released an album with Myles. Duff released a solo album. Dizzy released an album featuring Fortus and Frank. 

So all the members (except Axl) can release albums. But they just can't do it all together? That doesn't make sense. 

They have mentioned, in interviews, that they have come up with new stuff for over a year at least. Then Slash comes out with they don't know how to release it? But they have so they do know. 

Put some teasers on all social media platforms, do the poster thing like for Locked N Loaded, release a single then set a date for the release. Put pre-order packages together with a shitload of options with merch. Easy

Judging by the USA ticket sales for 2020 they need this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Since the reunion Slash released an album with Myles. Duff released a solo album. Dizzy released an album featuring Fortus and Frank. 

So all the members (except Axl) can release albums. But they just can't do it all together? That doesn't make sense. 

They have mentioned, in interviews, that they have come up with new stuff for over a year at least. Then Slash comes out with they don't know how to release it? But they have so they do know. 

Put some teasers on all social media platforms, do the poster thing like for Locked N Loaded, release a single then set a date for the release. Put pre-order packages together with a shitload of options with merch. Easy

Judging by the USA ticket sales for 2020 they need this

The US tour dates are in serious jeopardy of being cancelled/postponed. Even if they had plans, this situation changes things 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WildStar said:

Since the reunion Slash released an album with Myles. Duff released a solo album. Dizzy released an album featuring Fortus and Frank. 

So all the members (except Axl) can release albums. But they just can't do it all together? That doesn't make sense. 

Why doesn't it make sense? Every band is different. I summed a couple of reasons earlier. Maybe they don't make sense, maybe they do. And again... who says that there is no new record coming out? It might take ages, as you can expect with this band, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

34 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

None of that is argument so much as it is fact. And again, if they're not going to release music they should just say that instead if continually telling fans that music is coming. 

I agree. Look, I don't read this sub-forum every day, so maybe I am missing something, but has it been confirmed that there won't be a new record coming out? If not, then everything I said still applies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Why doesn't it make sense? Every band is different. I summed a couple of reasons earlier. Maybe they don't make sense, maybe they do. And again... who says that there is no new record coming out? It might take ages, as you can expect with this band, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

I agree. Look, I don't read this sub-forum every day, so maybe I am missing something, but has it been confirmed that there won't be a new record coming out? If not, then everything I said still applies.

It doesn't make sense because GNR members are releasing albums. But they won't release an album with everyone together. 

Every band is different but every band releases albums because they are musicians and that's what they do. But not GNR. It shouldn't take ages and judging by the USA ticket sales they need to stop pissing about and release the fucker. It doesn't have to be complicated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WildStar said:

It doesn't make sense because GNR members are releasing albums. But they won't release an album with everyone together. 

Again, there can be reasons for it that you and I know nothing about. I don't think it's fair to judge when we simply don't know anything about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, registra said:

This is wrong, quite frankly. I'm not justifying excuses, but the idea that a new GNR album will not be a big deal is wrong.

Taylor Swift's Fearless album in 2010 was at number 1 on Billboard for 11 weeks(non consecutively, couldn't find the weeks in a row stats). 1989 at the end of 2014 was number 1 on Billboard for 10 weeks(once again, non consecutively). Taylor's most recent album, Lover(which based on what I've read was the best selling album in the US in 2019, correct me if I'm wrong) was knocked off the number one spot after a week by Tool's first album in 13 years, Fear Inoculum. Honestly, I haven't listened to Tool and hadn't heard of them before this news came out but if Tool can beat out Taylor Swift I'm sure the fist GNR release with Slash and Axl in 30+ years can.

November Rain is also the first video made before YouTube's creation to reach 1 billion views (end of 2018), and the first video before the 2000's to reach that many views. SCOM is the first video from the 1980's to reach 1 billion views at the end of 2019(and I believe the third music video released before 2000 to get there, behind November Rain first and Bohemian Rhapsbody second), beating out all Michael Jackson video's from the 80's by a long shot.. Billie Jean, his most viewed, has 750 million views as of today. I can't exactly remember where I read it, but I recall reading that GNR had the largest band presence on YouTube, it said South America was helping GNR achieve this where it was hugely popular. 

And no insult meant, but I think your taking a kind of superior attitude by presuming that there isn't GNR fans in the general public and that people are just getting tickets for two songs(would seem strange to have one of the highest grossing tours of all time based on two songs). Sure we're in a bubble here, but there's plenty of hardcore GNR fans out there that have no interest/knowledge in this message board. Clearly based on Youtube views alone the general public cares. And I've met a good few at the two shows I've been at, and have plenty of friends people interested in GNR beyond that. The new album, if it ever happens will absolutely be a big deal 

I don't think a couple of 'wedding party classic' songs getting loads of youtube views mea s anything really. I'm sure the likes of Huey Lewis and the News or Frankie Goes To Hollywood have masses of views for their big hits....but it really means very little. 

I see your points but it really is mad to think the likes of GNR are a bigger deal than today's pop stars. They really are, to most people, a retro nostalgia act....I'm really not saying any of this to be superior, just pointing out that us on these forums have a natural tendency to think they're a bigger deal than they are. That's only natural. I'm sure people posting on any bands forum are in a similar position. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Why doesn't it make sense? Every band is different. I summed a couple of reasons earlier. Maybe they don't make sense, maybe they do. And again... who says that there is no new record coming out? It might take ages, as you can expect with this band, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

I agree. Look, I don't read this sub-forum every day, so maybe I am missing something, but has it been confirmed that there won't be a new record coming out? If not, then everything I said still applies.

The entire history of this band tells us no music is coming anytime soon. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

The US tour dates are in serious jeopardy of being cancelled/postponed. Even if they had plans, this situation changes things 

New plan needed then. Do a mini gig live stream of 6 songs and finish with a new song or do a snippet of a song like Madagascar at MTV Awards. At the end the new album cover can appear with release date. 

What are GNR paying their management team to do? I can do it for free

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Again, there can be reasons for it that you and I know nothing about. I don't think it's fair to judge when we simply don't know anything about it.

Why are they a band then? A band that can't play new music? That would be odd. 

I think it's perfectly fair to judge and be disappointed as a fan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GNRfanJen said:

Metallica announced they're going to stream a concert on their YouTube and Facebook channel tonight, and will be doing it every Monday night moving forward. Must be nice. 

Fantastico 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I don't think a couple of 'wedding party classic' songs getting loads of youtube views mea s anything really. I'm sure the likes of Huey Lewis and the News or Frankie Goes To Hollywood have masses of views for their big hits....but it really means very little. 

I see your points but it really is mad to think the likes of GNR are a bigger deal than today's pop stars. They really are, to most people, a retro nostalgia act....I'm really not saying any of this to be superior, just pointing out that us on these forums have a natural tendency to think they're a bigger deal than they are. That's only natural. I'm sure people posting on any bands forum are in a similar position. 

 

Relax, I wanna a new drug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I don't think a couple of 'wedding party classic' songs getting loads of youtube views mea s anything really. I'm sure the likes of Huey Lewis and the News or Frankie Goes To Hollywood have masses of views for their big hits....but it really means very little. 

I see your points but it really is mad to think the likes of GNR are a bigger deal than today's pop stars. They really are, to most people, a retro nostalgia act....I'm really not saying any of this to be superior, just pointing out that us on these forums have a natural tendency to think they're a bigger deal than they are. That's only natural. I'm sure people posting on any bands forum are in a similar position. 

I'm not necessarily saying GNR(or Tool for that matter) are a bigger deal then Taylor Swift now a days-they're not- but was just looking to show that if there was demand for a Tool album who also hadn't released an album in 13 years, there'll be demand GNR. 

Just checked checked Spotify there out of curiosity. Justin Bieber is no.1 in the world with 62m monthly listeners, GNR are 151st with 17m monthly listeners which really is quite a lot relatively speaking. Above Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Nirvana. But well behind Queen who have 32m monthly listeners and are 39th in the world. Probably aided by the movie that came out last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Exactly. "they don't owe us anything" has always been the weakest argument, IMO. 

And that is not even true.

They wouldn’t be so rich, famous and all without us. Without us, fans, they would end up being nothing. Of course, their music is great, but there are a lot of talended bands with great music that don’t get attention.

 

Edited by sl4yer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

And that is not even true.

They wouldn’t be so rich, famous and all without us. Without us, fans, they would end up being nothing. Of course, their music is great, but there are a lot of talended bands with great music that don’t get attention.

 

I think the "they don't owe us anything" still applies with what you said though.  Not that I am happy they aren't releasing anything, however the only thing we as fans/customers are truly owed is the physical or digital copy of the album we trade money for during a transaction, or a show from a ticket purchase transaction, etc.  

GNR unfortunately is allowed to be as unproductive as they want to be, even if we don't like it - I know I don't but what can you do

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The entire history of this band tells us no music is coming anytime soon. 

I don't think people act in such a predefined patterns. By that standard, the band's history tells us that they could also release two albums worth of music at the same time. Or they could release nothing but a one-off like Oh My God already.

18 minutes ago, registra said:

I'm not necessarily saying GNR(or Tool for that matter) are a bigger deal then Taylor Swift now a days-they're not- but was just looking to show that if there was demand for a Tool album who also hadn't released an album in 13 years, there'll be demand GNR. 

Just checked checked Spotify there out of curiosity. Justin Bieber is no.1 in the world with 62m monthly listeners, GNR are 151st with 17m monthly listeners which really is quite a lot relatively speaking. Above Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Nirvana. But well behind Queen who have 32m monthly listeners and are 39th in the world. Probably aided by the movie that came out last year.

Yeah, I don't think anybody is really saying GNR is as relevant as any current pop artist like Swift or Gaga. But they are still relevant among rock listeners. 

Waiting for a perfect time to release an album shouldn't even be a thing with this band.

5 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I think the "they don't owe us anything" still applies with what you said though.  Not that I am happy they aren't releasing anything, however the only thing we as fans/customers are truly owed is the physical or digital copy of the album we trade money for during a transaction, or a show from a ticket purchase transaction, etc.  

GNR unfortunately is allowed to be as unproductive as they want to be, even if we don't like it - I know I don't but what can you do

 

Agree. We already paid for what we got, it's not like we're paying a subscription fee in the Nightrain. 

But they should be more open about their work and for sure be more respectful with the hardcore fanbase. At the end of the day, it's just music. If there's nobody to hear it, it's worthless. If they are fine with that, just say it and people will move on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, registra said:

I'm not necessarily saying GNR(or Tool for that matter) are a bigger deal then Taylor Swift now a days-they're not- but was just looking to show that if there was demand for a Tool album who also hadn't released an album in 13 years, there'll be demand GNR. 

Just checked checked Spotify there out of curiosity. Justin Bieber is no.1 in the world with 62m monthly listeners, GNR are 151st with 17m monthly listeners which really is quite a lot relatively speaking. Above Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Nirvana. But well behind Queen who have 32m monthly listeners and are 39th in the world. Probably aided by the movie that came out last year.

Oh don't get me wrong here- I do absolutely think there is demand for a new GNR album withing a certain demographic. The point I was trying to make really is that the notion that this is some sort of monumental album that needed to be handled in some mysterious and unique manner isn't accurate as in most people's eyes it really wouldn't be that special. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We pay their bills. Period. The fact that we can’t get an honest, real answer from these clowns is bullshit. Luckily most of us are seasoned fans and are used to it. 
 

What other bands act like this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

We pay their bills. Period. The fact that we can’t get an honest, real answer from these clowns is bullshit. Luckily most of us are seasoned fans and are used to it. 
 

What other bands act like this?

ACDC, Van Halen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, registra said:

I'm not necessarily saying GNR(or Tool for that matter) are a bigger deal then Taylor Swift now a days-they're not- but was just looking to show that if there was demand for a Tool album who also hadn't released an album in 13 years, there'll be demand GNR. 

Just checked checked Spotify there out of curiosity. Justin Bieber is no.1 in the world with 62m monthly listeners, GNR are 151st with 17m monthly listeners which really is quite a lot relatively speaking. Above Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and Nirvana. But well behind Queen who have 32m monthly listeners and are 39th in the world. Probably aided by the movie that came out last year.

So if GnR released an album their streaming numbers would go way up, both for the new record and their old material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MaskingApathy said:

So if GnR released an album their streaming numbers would go way up, both for the new record and their old material.

Presumably so, unless the new record is absolute shite, which could very well be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

Not just from labels but also indie artists.
 

A lot of people listen when they commute, while they work or when they are outside doing other activities. The way people listen is mainly background noise. When they are at home their focus is most likely elsewhere 

This is purely anecdotal to say that. A lot of my coworkers listen to music while working. I listen to music at home more than I watch TV. While chillin' and drinking, while cleaning, while working out, etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GNRfanJen said:

Metallica announced they're going to stream a concert on their YouTube and Facebook channel tonight, and will be doing it every Monday night moving forward. Must be nice. 

Metallica just announced they cancelled SA tour, them was play in Argentina in april 18. Maybe for this reason them will to occupy in doing streaming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I think I understand what Slash said regarding the release. It's like: "are we gonna release a full album now or just drop singles all year?". I've been saying this for some time now, I think Hard School being the only new song in the setlist tells a lot more than people give credit for. 

HardSkool being the only new song on the setlist tells me that what we’ll most likely get for now (if anything) is just another compilation of some kind, with that song as a bonus track.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GNRfanJen said:

Metallica announced they're going to stream a concert on their YouTube and Facebook channel tonight, and will be doing it every Monday night moving forward. Must be nice. 

GN'R could easily do the same. They'd have to give a remote shit about their fans first though, so probably not going to happen.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/3/2020 at 2:41 PM, gavgnr said:

I’d love it if some fucker just dropped in here with a link for the 2010 album. The band ain’t interested in releasing shit. We need someone with some big fat hairy balls and 3 pound of cock to come and save us from our frustration 🤣

I'm, here alas I have no link. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×