The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

No, don't start it. You know what I'm talking about, not the usual bullshit. Be fair, don't just throw away all the other points I made.

There's nothing more to say though really. I don't believe for one second that a new album is remotely imminent, and it would take the band, you know, actually MAKING ONE AND LETTING US HEAR IT to convince me otherwise. No amount of comments, rumour, speculation etc is going to do that for me any more. I don't believe 'plans changed' because I don't believe there were ever any plans. 

We've been here so many times. So, so many. It really is the usual bullshit.....until they show us otherwise. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

No, don't start it. You know what I'm talking about, not the usual bullshit. Be fair, don't just throw away all the other points I made.

6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

There's nothing more to say though really. I don't believe for one second that a new album is remotely imminent, and it would take the band, you know, actually MAKING ONE AND LETTING US HEAR IT to convince me otherwise. No amount of comments, rumour, speculation etc is going to do that for me any more. I don't believe 'plans changed' because I don't believe there were ever any plans. 

We've been here so many times. So, so many. It really is the usual bullshit.....until they show us otherwise. 

The big recent reveal is Slash confirming his AFD Les Paul was taken out of storage for studio work on GNR stuff. Can’t be any clearer than that IMO.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

The big recent reveal is Slash confirming his AFD Les Paul was taken out of storage for studio work on GNR stuff. Can’t be any clearer than that IMO.

What does it confirm though? That he's been in a studio. Recording guitar parts we could never hear, that could simply be 'ideas' to send to the vault alongside everything else? 

Fair enough. I just would like to remind you that until last year, people didnt even believe Axl had worked in other songs besides the CD ones. 

About the plan I was mentioning: I was talking specifically about the "new tour" and how the first and last show of that tour didn't happen in normal conditions. I was obviously not talking about the release itself.

6 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Yeah. I think people are so eager to not feel like fooled again that they rather ignore clear evidences.

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Fair enough. I just would like to remind you that until last year, people didnt even believe Axl had worked in other songs besides the CD ones. 

About the plan I was mentioning: I was talking specifically about the "new tour" and how the first and last show of that tour didn't happen in normal conditions. I was obviously not talking about the release itself.

Yeah. I think people are so eager to not feel like fooled again that they rather ignore clear evidences.

Got you. 

I think a lot of us have been around a very long time, and are naturally very inclined to cynicism when it comes to new material. To say the least. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

What does it confirm though? That he's been in a studio. Recording guitar parts we could never hear, that could simply be 'ideas' to send to the vault alongside everything else? 

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

Just my take on it. Granted I have not been on here for years and years like many have so haven’t had the ‘will they/won’t they’ discussions to make me ‘cynical’. From my POV (maybe naive) there are more indicators to say something will happen than not - having Slash and Duff in the band splits the pressure three ways regardless of ‘who owns the name/brand’ etc. It’s just a matter of when I think - I’d like to think the current state of affairs in the world may expedite any plans (not necessarily in the next few months). 

3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Got you. 

I think a lot of us have been around a very long time, and are naturally very inclined to cynicism when it comes to new material. To say the least. 

Pretty much taps into my post....😂

8 hours ago, djones1225 said:

Before he got taken, wasn't Frans working on remastering Saskatoon? What a shame, I could've spent hours watching his videos during times like these.

I think so. His stuff was great.

12 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I don't think Slash would go through the trouble of going to the studio and recording if he knew that it was just going to sit unheard somewhere. If he's involved then they have to be planning on releasing it at some point; it's just a question of when. I personally think that they've been hitting the studio periodically in secret, they just haven't been making a big deal of it because they know the press will run with it. And by big deal I mean posting photos on Instagram of them in the studio and stuff like that, not Slash mentioning in one interview that he had the AFD guitar out for recording.

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Got you. 

I've been a fan since 1988-ish. I know the feeling, trust me.

7 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Just my take on it. Granted I have not been on here for years and years like many have so haven’t had the ‘will they/won’t they’ discussions to make me ‘cynical’. From my POV (maybe naive) there are more indicators to say something will happen than not - having Slash and Duff in the band splits the pressure three ways regardless of ‘who owns the name/brand’ etc. It’s just a matter of when I think - I’d like to think the current state of affairs in the world may expedite any plans (not necessarily in the next few months). 

5 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I don't think Slash would go through the trouble of going to the studio and recording if he knew that it was just going to sit unheard somewhere. If he's involved then they have to be planning on releasing it at some point; it's just a question of when. I personally think that they've been hitting the studio periodically in secret, they just haven't been making a big deal of it because they know the press will run with it. And by big deal I mean posting photos on Instagram of them in the studio and stuff like that, not Slash mentioning in one interview that he had the AFD guitar out for recording.

I agree with both of you. Again, Slash saying anything or even going with the trouble to deal with Axl's studio antics is a very different thing than Richard saying anything, really. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, djones1225 said:

Before he got taken, wasn't Frans working on remastering Saskatoon? What a shame, I could've spent hours watching his videos during times like these.

I don't know if it was ever posted on youtube, but he did remaster the Saskatoon show. It's around 9GB, I'll send it to you. :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, WildStar said:

Why are they a band then? A band that can't play new music? That would be odd. 

I think it's perfectly fair to judge and be disappointed as a fan

I never said you can't be disappointed. I'm disappointed too that there is so little music.

However, they can do whatever they want, that's all I'm trying to say. Maybe they (Axl, Slash and Duff) only recently started working on new music. Maybe the songwriting process is going extremely slow for whatever reason. Maybe they only want to release something under the GnR name that is A material and if it's going to take them years to come up with songs that they deem good enough, then so be it. Too bad for the fans, but it is what it is. There's no law that says GnR has to release music every x amount of years because the fans expect it. It's not like they promised new music within a year or something like that.

Edited by EvanG
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Nah. The "the don't owe us anything" argument was presented again yesterday, which caused the thread to be really active. That's all. 

People were reacting to the covid-19 and the state of the music business right now for the context. Which to me is a pretty interesting discussion, but there's always the option to just not read, I guess.

29 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

People were reacting to the covid-19 and the state of the music business right now for the context. Which to me is a pretty interesting discussion, but there's always the option to just not read, I guess.

Huh? I read the thread. That was some of the content, yes but then most of it surrounded the "they don't owe us anything" argument. 

I really do think there were actual plans for 2020 in regard to something new releasing.

"Hard School" being in the main set in Mexico City is decent proof of that song becoming a mainstay live. And no, there weren't any other new songs played in rehearsals, but that doesn't mean much. 

We don't know how much time the band has spent recording (if any). Axl's surprise Looney Tunes recording is evidence that he can be in studio without anyone ever really hearing anything about it. And Duff helped write and record an entire Ozzy record recently.

But of course, covid-19 and "plans change" and without any touring, I think we won't get jack shit this year. They probably will drop "Hard School" off the set list too once the tour resumes in the fall.

Edited by GnR Chris

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They're working hard to give us official pro-shots from the UYI tour, but since Matt Sorum hurt Axl's feelings 20 years ago, Axl demanded that Matt be removed from all footage and that all his parts be re-recorded by Frank. Fernando is still trying to install photoshop. Soon is the word.

Darn, I was hoping they'd just have a shadow on drums, like WWE/Chris Benoit style lol.

• Haha 1

On 23.3.2020 at 7:10 PM, MaskingApathy said:

Nah it was definitely rerecorded. I'm not going to argue about it here but if you search you'll find other posts that myself and others have made in the past about it.

Lol what for? Saying it is definitely rerecorded is like saying God definitely exists, there's absolutely no proof, just amateur internet experts opinions who can't believe one of the best mixers on earth (Chris Lord Alge) wouldn't with modern technology be able to make Mike Clink recordings sound that good.

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Lol what for? Saying it is definitely rerecorded is like saying God definitely exists, there's absolutely no proof, just amateur internet experts opinions who can't believe one of the best mixers on earth (Chris Lord Alge) wouldn't with modern technology be able to make Mike Clink recordings sound that good.

When it comes to music and recording/production, I'm not an amateur. When listening to it, there's certain things that make it really obvious that it was recorded in 2018 or so and not 1986. Even though Fernando and the rest of the band says otherwise, it was definitely rerecorded within the last couple years.

• Like 1