The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

27 minutes ago, Ratbrain said:

I think the new album is like a willy wonka ticket, hidden on a usb stick inside the merchandise they are flogging. Those toy trucks are the most likely place. Until everyone smashes them open to find the usb stick we won't have the new album. 

Wow, that would be cool!

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash said this 4 months ago (in September):

-----

Slash also talked about whether GUNS N' ROSES fans can expect to see new music from the band in the form of standalone singles or as a full-length record. He explained: "I think at the end of the day, everybody wants to have a full album released. I don't think that's really changed all that much. But there's a different way of putting stuff out initially nowadays more so than… I mean, there's always been the single, but now you sort of look at that preliminary release a little bit differently now. All things considered, it's like the Wild West out there; there is no formula for any of it. [Laughs] I haven't seen any routine kind of thing that works. I mean, you can do any one of a million different things to releasing a record. But at the end of the day, I think that we will ultimately release a full album."

http://www.a-4-d.com/t4222-2019-09-09-sirius-xm-trunk-nation-interview-with-slash

If you read between the lines, I think both comments indicate that there has been music recorded and done. To me, it just seems like they are trying to get the business portion of this. Some people have commented about Pearl Jam and Eminem releasing albums. It's big news. However, the first album between Axl, Slash, and Duff in 27 years will actually be much bigger. Expectations are high. You then have the contract from years ago that was signed. I'm sure that needs to be sorted out since a lot has changed. Laws and public relations  definitely have changed since then. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Are you actually comparing GNR to SMKC?? I like SMKC but it's just not the same level as GNR. Slash can actually discuss more freely about SMKC since there's not that much expectations compared to GNR. It's totally different. 

Musically no. I meant how vocal slash is when providing updates. I know SMKC isnt everyones cup of tea, but hes able to feel confident with saying whats going on. Able to give dates etc without having to be careful with his words because somone in the band might be annoyed if they read the interview.

Even going back to interviews pre 93 i dont think he was this coy.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Musically no. I meant how vocal slash is when providing updates. I know SMKC isnt everyones cup of tea, but hes able to feel confident with saying whats going on. Able to give dates etc without having to be careful with his words because somone in the band might be annoyed if they read the interview.

Even going back to interviews pre 93 i dont think he was this coy.

Slash has no one really to answer to but himself there. It’s his band. At best in GNR, there’s 2 other people he needs to keep in mind, so by design he’s not nearly as free to provide consistent updates  

• Like 1

Just now, surforia said:

My guess is that all this stems from that 20 year publishing deal Axl signed in 2005.  They're probably trying to figure out a way to circumvent having to pay someone else all the profits from the "new album."

Publishing is separate from album sales. It also wouldn’t include other songwriters, just Axl’s portion. He got his lump sum for the deal 

3 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Publishing is separate from album sales. It also wouldn’t include other songwriters, just Axl’s portion. He got his lump sum for the deal 

True, unless he had Slash/Duff sign a contract in connection with re-joining GN'R that required them to sign their rights in new material over to "Guns N' Roses."  Not exactly inconceivable.

4 minutes ago, surforia said:

True, unless he had Slash/Duff sign a contract in connection with re-joining GN'R that required them to sign their rights in new material over to "Guns N' Roses."  Not exactly inconceivable.

I highly doubt that when you consider how they split things on tour 

This might seem unrelated, but I assure it's not: does anyone know if any of the distribution services that allow independent artists to release music, such as CDBaby and DistroKid, etc. are the only way to upload to streaming services?; or do record labels such as Universal, etc. have their own like, license or something with Apple Music, Spotify, etc. (lotta etcs, lol) that allows uploading to said services?

edit: granted, I'm not implying GN'R ought to just upload the music themselves, seeing as how that would probably be some sort of contractual breach or something but I'm still curious.

edit #2: actually, I just remembered that Universal does have their own CDBaby sorta thing which, actually may only be for unsigned artists (I forget what they call theirs).  It's funny because they say that if you use their service as an unsigned artist, you are like, automatically noticed by Universal for potential scouting.  Ok, lol... (I have experience with it, too.  I would not recommend it to even an enemy.  Their customer service is absolutely atrocious)

Edited by there is no dana only zool
I'm forgetful

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Huh? Just release it. As others have said, it's not rocket science. 

I know everyone else has already commented on this, but this is complete bullshit. 

How is it that every other artist knows how easy it is to release music except for GNR? 

Sounds to me like Slash has caught the bug from Axl to just come up with any excuse at all to not release GNR music. 

Exactly. 

1) GNR could just release a surprise album without promotion and it would be huge 

2) they could use this PERFECT opportunity over the Super Bowl weekend to promote it

3) the could, at the very least, stop looking for reasons to not release new music. 

"All things considered" I think the ball is in Axl and TB's court right now to release the shit they recorded. Slash and Duff are probably feeling like '96 again. Fortus just probably wanna curse at Axl but can't 'cause he'll lose everything(well he can still get gigs elsewhere). Frank/Dizzy/Melissa are probably getting polished to get stored in the vault.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

Last time Slash got frustrated with GN’R like this was in 1996, and he later quit. I sure hope 2020 doesn’t go down that path again... 

If GnR doesn't release anything new, I want him to quit.

I'd rather have new Slash solo material, than no material at all.

• Like 4

You guys are definitely overreacting; the dude just has to say something to answer the question, and this is how you do it without disclosing basically anything. 

What pisses me off though is this "old contract problem" concept. I mean, whatever stupid shit they’ve gotten themselves into those years ago, any goddamn contract can be terminated, can’t it? Even if they had to pay some substantial wad, they’ve just made half of a fucking billion dollars ffs. Bigger contracts were extinguished; couldn’t they do something about this one, whatever it is? I mean, these things are like quarter of a century old. It’s ridiculous to think it couldn’t just get paid off once and for all and that this band would be constantly held back by some old nonsense like this. 

Edited by jamillos

1 hour ago, metallex78 said:

Last time Slash got frustrated with GN’R like this was in 1996, and he later quit. I sure hope 2020 doesn’t go down that path again... 

I don't think it will be the same thing this time around - unlike in '96 Slash has rejoined GNR with a solo career already long established and it has continued while he has been in GNR.  So even with no new albums, he has the freedom to still do his thing, and then hook up with GNR every once in a while for shows even if Axl still is Axl and is allergic to really getting the material out

And now, considering the money they are making as a reunited GNR, I doubt that Slash would ever say no to spending some time with GNR touring any given year for that amount of money lol

It would suck for the fans if no new album ever occurs, however I am not afraid of Slash quitting GNR again

• Like 4

This is turning into what happened when the Stone Roses reformed in 2012. They milked their fans to death with an endless touring cycle with a promise of a new album on the way.

In the end they split up again and the album never came out, and all we got was 2 pretty average songs. Will we even get that with this GNR reunion I wonder?

GNR seriously need to AT LEAST play one or two new songs live in this upcoming 'next chapter' to give fans some proper evidence that new material is being worked on. Otherwise there really should be utter outrage towards the band and management.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

This is turning into what happened when the Stone Roses reformed in 2012. They milked their fans to death with an endless touring cycle with a promise of a new album on the way.

In the end they split up again and the album never came out, and all we got was 2 pretty average songs. Will we even get that with this GNR reunion I wonder?

GNR seriously need to AT LEAST play one or two new songs live in this upcoming 'next chapter' to give fans some proper evidence that new material is being worked on. Otherwise there really should be utter outrage towards the band and management.

Slash has to find some way to pay child support and keep his income rolling. He can't do that without Guns. At this point, Guns is a symbiotic relationship between Axl and Slash, with Duff holding on in the middle.