The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

3 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Read Towlie's sig from 2010. Watch China Exchange 2016. The Axl chats. The 2014 interview. It's constantly changed from the start. 

That quote was from 2014 (Revolver mag), not from 2010 or 2012.

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2494-2014-05-xx-interview-with-axl-in-revolver-magazine

That was the first time Axl actually talked about wanting to release a new album (CD II specifically) after 2008, and he was referring to the period after the Vegas residencies ended ("But after Vegas, we're going to start looking very seriously at what we're doing in that regard."). In the same interview he was asked about the possibility of continuing working with Duff, and he said it was open. I'd guess that at that point Axl had already the reunion in his mind.

The next time - and last, to this day - he talked about wanting to release new music was in China Exchange, where he added that, like, before, "soon is not the word."

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

Wasn’t it all but confirmed by sources new music was planned for 2015 but was cut when Ashba and Bumble left? Now that they’ve gotten a stable line up and Axl is working with Slash again, why in fucks name isn’t he excited to get new music out there? Was he really more dedicated to get music out with DJ on guitar? Legitimately asking

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

There are certain individuals coming up with ludicrous scenarios and basically starting mass hysteria over things that have zero percent chance of happening.

For the record, I don't actually think they'll do a surprise release, I just think it'd be the coolest option. I won't be disappointed when it doesn't happen. :lol:

10 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Wasn’t it all but confirmed by sources new music was planned for 2015 but was cut when Ashba and Bumble left? Now that they’ve gotten a stable line up and Axl is working with Slash again, why in fucks name isn’t he excited to get new music out there? Was he really more dedicated to get music out with DJ on guitar? Legitimately asking

Besides Zutaut saying it was coming out in 2016, I don't remember anyone else confirming it. Of course there was "Stay Of Execution" being trademarked in June 2014. But I feel like if Axl was really going to get the ball rolling on new music Ron wouldn't have left. He was a in a far worse place in regards to GNR in 2012 but still stuck around.

16 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

No? 'Sources' were probably someone like Walker tbh, and there's been 'finished' music in some form for like 20 years now so I really doubt that in 2015, after losing 2 more guitar players and his long-time bassist, Axl was planning to release the sequel to Chinese Democracy feat. DJ Ashba, Ron Thal, Buckethead, etc.

Ron was gone in 2014 and DJ was apparently 'gone' by then too but he waited for management's approval to announce his departure. :lol:

Edited by Gordon Comstock

6 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Personally I don't think Axl ever really wanted to release an album with Ashba and Bumblefoot. And, like I said earlier, he probably was already thinking about a reunion in 2014 (he even mentioned in the Globo interview that the discussion between his and Slash's "people" had started by then, before the two of them talked in person a year later) and of the distant possibility of reworking CD II with the reunited lineup, if the reunion finally materialised.

All the "noise" about new music with the Ashba-Bumblefoot lineup between 2010-15 mainly came from Fortus and Dizzy (who probably felt they had to say something when asked in interviews - unlike Tommy, for example, who didn't answer those question in a way that left much room for optimism) and from "sources" and rumours, which people ended up believing as facts.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

No? 'Sources' were probably someone like Walker tbh, and there's been 'finished' music in some form for like 20 years now so I really doubt that in 2015, after losing 2 more guitar players and his long-time bassist, Axl was planning to release the sequel to Chinese Democracy feat. DJ Ashba, Ron Thal, Buckethead, etc.

Ron was gone in 2014 and DJ was apparently 'gone' by then too but he waited for management's approval to announce his departure. :lol:

Yeah, Tommy said that that lineup had de facto disbanded at the Vegas residencies, long before each one of them announced their departure officially at different times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, Tommy said that that lineup had de facto disbanded at the Vegas residencies, long before each one of them announced their departure officially at different times.

I remember reading about the Las Vegas residencies on the HTGTH message board in 2014. From how Jarmo described the residencies, it felt like it was a goodbye to that lineup with something else happening behind the scenes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I'm pretty sure that without a reunion, 2015 would have came and went without CD II.

Guys, you’re severely overdramatizing it. If a main guitarist does an interview for a guitar magazine, it’s clear the journalist has to shoot the GNR question there eventually. However, if the band has some kind of a plan – and we know the guys have been keeping almost everything to themselves since the beginning – the musician obviously won’t expose it in a medium of such sort. It’s not like this was a mega interview strictly about GNR, conducted in the Rolling Stone or something.

He is asked questions, he has to say something. We’ll see on 01/31 and then in March. If that’s a shitter, we can say we’re fucked. This particular bit, however, meant nothing whatsoever.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 3

The logical thing to do would be to surprise drop a single out of nowhere bundled with the announcement that the album will be released 2 months later or something like that, sort of like how Metallica did. That would fit in nice with the gap between the Super Bowl show and the following tour dates as well.

But then again this is GnR... I still have a glimmer of hope though!

• Like 1

I also have a glimmer of hope! 

There is real interest in a new GNR album worldwide. Slash's comments were picked up by press of all kinds all over the place. Widely reported. 

It won't go away now, particularly because slash has confirmed that musoc has been recorded etc... The excuse about 'how to release' the album is ridiculous and surely isn't a true barrier to a release. Ultimately a decision will have to be made  by the record company.  If the music is good, it will do well irrespective of how it's released. Maybe that is what they are more worried about!! 

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Personally I don't think Axl ever really wanted to release an album with Ashba and Bumblefoot. And, like I said earlier, he probably was already thinking about a reunion in 2014 (he even mentioned in the Globo interview that the discussion between his and Slash's "people" had started by then, before the two of them talked in person a year later) and of the distant possibility of reworking CD II with the reunited lineup, if the reunion finally materialised.

All the "noise" about new music with the Ashba-Bumblefoot lineup between 2010-15 mainly came from Fortus and Dizzy (who probably felt they had to say something when asked in interviews - unlike Tommy, for example, who didn't answer those question in a way that left much room for optimism) and from "sources" and rumours, which people ended up believing as facts.

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I agree totally with you. I’ve always thought  that a new album talk back then was a distraction to take away the focus on a reunion now that Duff was kinda back in the lineup. There was rumour around then bumblefoot told a fan that Axl and Slash had already spoke by then and the then current line up was finished 

• Like 1

There is interest... There would be more few years ago when Axl was "biggest thing" in rock - reunion and AC/DC thing - all the world press talked about it...

Sure, they wont make big $$ like in 80s and 90s but would probably top the charts (specially if the do Metallica thing - attach the album with concert ticket - with 30-50 shows for 50-80000 people, that would be few mils copies)

Every month they stall, interest would be smaller and smaller...  And big promo? Today? Not needed - how many followers they have on facebook, instagram, twitter, youtube? Take Angus at some guest spot and promo is doing itself with few normal posts (not standard GNR f'n cringe bullshit)

If they want it - they can have no1 album just for releasing it.... it would be a novelty just like reunion was.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

And it wouldn't take that long to record either. 

Absoloutely true. I think i now get why slash has recorded all of SMKC next album....this is his plan b if things fall through with new music. There is no way slash and duff can continue playing the same old setlist.

Edited by Sydney Fan

28 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

There is interest... There would be more few years ago when Axl was "biggest thing" in rock - reunion and AC/DC thing - all the world press talked about it...

Sure, they wont make big $$ like in 80s and 90s but would probably top the charts (specially if the do Metallica thing - attach the album with concert ticket - with 30-50 shows for 50-80000 people, that would be few mils copies)

Every month they stall, interest would be smaller and smaller...  And big promo? Today? Not needed - how many followers they have on facebook, instagram, twitter, youtube? Take Angus at some guest spot and promo is doing itself with few normal posts (not standard GNR f'n cringe bullshit)

If they want it - they can have no1 album just for releasing it.... it would be a novelty just like reunion was.

a big album promotion still makes a difference, even if there is interest from fans. It's not needed to sell albums, it's needed to sell more albums.

Last time they lowered the risk significantly by doing the BestBuy deal. It wasn't really a standard release and it worked, at least for the record company and GH was a huge success before that so they got the money they invested and actually turned a profit.

if they do manage to release 1 more album I think they'll promote the shit out of it this time, but I don't believe they'll even break 3 million units sold but the value for them will be in creating a reason for touring and cause it's super artistic for Axl to release anything. With the profit they've made from touring for 4 years plus the shows they've booked for 2020, a new album will be a sensible investment of time, effort, and money imo.

I wonder what's the big hurdle here? is Axl up for it musically? will he tinker with it until Slash goes completely bald or is it mainly about just finding an acceptable way to approach a release cause they want to nail it?

• Like 1

It’s funny and sad that Duff has said that he created and recorded Ozzy’s new album in 4 days but can’t get Axl to do anything at all in as many years. And Ozzy sounds great. I think if 2020 goes by without a new album then I hope Slash and Duff say goodbye to Axl and get on with their lives. They’ve made enough money. Time to retire and bury Guns n’ Roses for good. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Rovim said:

a big album promotion still makes a difference, even if there is interest from fans. It's not needed to sell albums, it's needed to sell more albums.

Last time they lowered the risk significantly by doing the BestBuy deal. It wasn't really a standard release and it worked, at least for the record company and GH was a huge success before that so they got the money they invested and actually turned a profit.

if they do manage to release 1 more album I think they'll promote the shit out of it this time, but I don't believe they'll even break 3 million units sold but the value for them will be in creating a reason for touring and cause it's super artistic for Axl to release anything. With the profit they've made from touring for 4 years plus the shows they've booked for 2020, a new album will be a sensible investment of time, effort, and money imo.

I wonder what's the big hurdle here? is Axl up for it musically? will he tinker with it until Slash goes completely bald or is it mainly about just finding an acceptable way to approach a release cause they want to nail it?

Interms of your your paragraph. Axl.

1. His rebuttle to izzy that there was " no fuckin schedule" when releasing uyi.

2. Any axl demands of the record company....i hope they dont do a best buy deal. Gnr are a household name, they dont need massive promotion but i hope UMG go all out billboards etc. It doesnt matter how much UMG spend because they will recoup any expenditure.

3. How much creative control axl is willing to let go of.

4. Is axl motivated to do new music, considering there was no released new singles  off the CD album between 08 and say 2010.

7 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

It’s funny and sad that Duff has said that he created and recorded Ozzy’s new album in 4 days but can’t get Axl to do anything at all in as many years. And Ozzy sounds great. I think if 2020 goes by without a new album then I hope Slash and Duff say goodbye to Axl and get on with their lives. They’ve made enough money. Time to retire and bury Guns n’ Roses for good. 

Absolutely true to slash and duff walking. Im sure they have their thoughts without money being a factor in any decision.

Edited by Sydney Fan

2 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Why would Slash and Duff leave Gn'R when they can do what they want creatively with their solo projects/their own bands and still be a part of Gn'R with all the advantages that come with it (bigger shows,more money, being a part of something people care about more deeply?)

and the money thing... there are people who might look at their financial success and go: "surely that's enough money" but that's just the way you look at it from your perspective. These are rich celebrity musicians that lead a very lavish lifestyle. More money does make a difference even if you're already rich.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Why would Slash and Duff leave Gn'R when they can do what they want creatively with their solo projects/their own bands and still be a part of Gn'R with all the advantages that come with it (bigger shows,more money, being a part of something people care about more deeply?)

and the money thing... there are people who might look at their financial success and go: "surely that's enough money" but that's just the way you look at it from your perspective. These are rich celebrity musicians that lead a very lavish lifestyle. More money does make a difference even if you're already rich.

So duff and slash are happy to do another 4 year tour without doing any gnr new material knowing they are creative and the amount of instrumentals etc axl is sitting on and would like to expand the gnr discography?. Im sure deep down duff and slash know what the gnr name means to fans, even if axl doesnt.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gold top 78 said:

I agree totally with you. I’ve always thought  that a new album talk back then was a distraction to take away the focus on a reunion now that Duff was kinda back in the lineup. There was rumour around then bumblefoot told a fan that Axl and Slash had already spoke by then and the then current line up was finished 

Yeah... 

The only thing everyone agreed upon in the interviews of that time is that there was a lot of material accumulated through the years (some of it dating from Slash's last sessions) that was worked, reworked and re-recorded, which I believe is true. So I don't think Richard and Dizzy were lying;  they just chose to show the "bright" side talking about what they knew about the material that existed and generating hope. But they really had no idea if or when any of it was going to be released and what Axl was thinking. 

• Like 3