The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

GNR isn’t a nostalgia act yet however they are dangerously close to it if they tour again with no new material.

Not to be an asshole, but you don't seriously believe that GNR isn't a nostalgia act.... right? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

GNR isn’t a nostalgia act yet however they are dangerously close to it if they tour again with no new material.

I started thinking of them as a nostalgia act probably around 2011/2012

At that point, the release of Chinese Democracy wasn't a "recent event" any more as it has been 4 years then, and they kind of just started coasting without doing much new or any indication that any new material would happen anytime soon

In 2016/2017 I truly believed in the band after Slash and Duff came back into the mix because of their track record for releasing new stuff often.  But to me it became clear around 2018 that ultimately this is a band that just isn't interested in releasing new stuff anymore.  

36 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Not to be an asshole, but you don't seriously believe that GNR isn't a nostalgia act.... right? 

I can totally understand why folk would think that. Constant touring, no new material yet etc. In my mind I don’t see them that way - maybe the fact I got into other bands over the 20 years and didn’t follow this website as I do now (so didn’t have the constant letdown of material not arriving). I think it has a lot to do with believing we will get new material albeit not sure when (Slash’s comments/known existing material/confirmation he recorded at Axls studio) - for me a nostalgia act will openly admit to not creating new music. Maybe misplaced optimism re new music but can’t help thinking we will get something.

Plus - maybe there is an element of denial that I am old enough to see a band of my youth being classed as ‘nostalgia’ - I always saw those bands as properly old! 😂

• Like 1

Most bands their age are nostalgia acts.  Nostalgia is a huge part of music.  Cranking up classic tunes that bring you back.  99% of people that go to shows go for the music the band played in their heyday and songs that can "bring them back".  And for the most part tolerate any new songs.. More often than than not the new songs aren't any good anyway.  I don't see that being much different with Guns. Especially in Axl's current state. Thing could have been different 10-20 years ago though. 

People throw around the term nostalgia to shame them. I see nothing wrong with it. I love nostalgia and the older I get the more I appreciate it. 

Edited by Tom-Ass

6 hours ago, k12 said:

it would have been hyped up if it was like the late 90s or early 2000s, GNR fans are in their like 40s and 50s, they are not going to go ga-ga over a new Axl and Slash album, all of the buzz over Axl and Slash was the first leg of NITL, now it is like who cares, die hard fans on here want to hear it but the casual fan is like whatever, if anything it could be a deterrence as fans like to hear the songs they like in concert, and a new album will mean those new songs are going to be played, so it will be a put off, go to any "nostalgia" act concert and when they play their new songs the crowd is just dead, they want to hear the stuff they know and grew up with

I see your point but GNR is kind of in a league of their own. Yes, they're a nostalgia act, but they're one of those rare bands with very broad appeal (like Metallica, or Zeppelin) and very iconic members. The first album from a reunited Axl and Slash will be exciting for rock fans whether they're 20 years old or 50 years old.

Where did this myth come from that casual fans aren't interested in hearing new music?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@Tom-Ass I agree, I always listen to old GNR stuff. I always prefer the classic era with most bands.

TBH though isn't all GNR now old stuff, even CD? :)

i don't listen to CD era ever

I will still buy new music from some bands here and there.. More often than not I forget about it pretty quick though even if I am into it first.  

I really liked most of the songs of Metallica's Hardwired and a handful off Black Sabbath's 13 as well.  Sabbath played 2 songs live that tour and I enjoyed them.. Metallica played 4 off Hardwired I think and I liked three of them.  If I had a choice I would have picked the classic shit all day though..

I just can't see Axl releasing anything good these days.  I would like to be wrong but I doubt it. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Most bands their age are nostalgia acts.  Nostalgia is a huge part of music.  Cranking up classic tunes that bring you back.  99% of people that go to shows go for the music the band played in their heyday and songs that can "bring them back".  And for the most part tolerate any new songs.. More often than than not the new songs aren't any good anyway.  I don't see that being much different with Guns. Especially in Axl's current state. Thing could have been different 10-20 years ago though. 

People throw around the term nostalgia to shame them. I see nothing wrong with it. I love nostalgia and the older I get the more I appreciate it. 

Im with you on the nostalgia. Why?. Because there are no new rock bands that are as big as what gnr was between 87 to 93. Gnr were the last of their kind. I still crank dust n bones and love hearing like i did when i first heard the illusion albums when they were released when i was 16.

I dont beleive that rock not being popular is the reason why there is no new band even to the same level that gnr was when scomfirst broke. When gnr broke in 87 they came out of nowhere. 

• Like 3

I’m starting to think that we will only get a new GnR album long after the band is too old to keep touring (and that this has been axl’s secret intention for awhile now). In the meantime, we might get the occasional song here and there, but that’s probably it.

Edited by rocknroll41

22 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Pasting myself from another GN'R forum where someone said people only like the classic albums and want to hear hits at shows:

There are artists and bands who always treated their audiences like music-loving adults who were capable of growing and changing with them. There are songs from every single Iron Maiden record which are treated with the same reverence live as all but a couple core classics like Trooper/Hallowed. Every album since Brave New World in 2000 through Book of Souls, hell even the Blaze albums have bare minimum one song which is greeted with a thunderous roar. 

Springsteen has played over 100 different songs on some tours. People will go mental for a River outtake like Ain't Good Enough released 30+ years later on a box set. 

You get the audience you deserve. Prince constantly challenged and pushed his audience. So has Dylan.
Between album releases in 1998 and 2005 the Stones did The Licks tour in 2002-2003 where in every city they played small, medium and large venues with sets catered to different audiences in each. 

Then you have Bon Jovi who has literally tried to re-write some version of Livin' On A Prayer almost every album and cater to the lowest common denominator with turgid, shallow lyrics and Springsteen-lite themes full of cliche about the working man and as a result has a flacid audience of the sort of housewives who only listen to one band and have no discerning musical taste or interest of knowledge and will happily pay to see him flash his cheesy grin, do the same 3 'moves' and barely manage to sing. 

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Pasting myself from another GN'R forum where someone said people only like the classic albums and want to hear hits at shows:

There are artists and bands who always treated their audiences like music-loving adults who were capable of growing and changing with them. There are songs from every single Iron Maiden record which are treated with the same reverence live as all but a couple core classics like Trooper/Hallowed. Every album since Brave New World in 2000 through Book of Souls, hell even the Blaze albums have bare minimum one song which is greeted with a thunderous roar. 

Springsteen has played over 100 different songs on some tours. People will go mental for a River outtake like Ain't Good Enough released 30+ years later on a box set. 

You get the audience you deserve. Prince constantly challenged and pushed his audience. So has Dylan.
Between album releases in 1998 and 2005 the Stones did The Licks tour in 2002-2003 where in every city they played small, medium and large venues with sets catered to different audiences in each. 

Then you have Bon Jovi who has literally tried to re-write some version of Livin' On A Prayer almost every album and cater to the lowest common denominator with turgid, shallow lyrics and Springsteen-lite themes full of cliche about the working man and as a result has a flacid audience of the sort of housewives who only listen to one band and have no discerning musical taste or interest of knowledge and will happily pay to see him flash his cheesy grin, do the same 3 'moves' and barely manage to sing. 

I think its just about the music but i guess of certain bands think the core of any band is its members and to some fans once one leaves it never feels the same.

There are some bands i liked to listen to their old stuff but want to hear new stuff to.

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 1:11 AM, Tom-Ass said:

I agree.

However I think the issue is there's nostalgia acts, and nostalgia acts.

I think everyone would be happy if 95% of this was nostalgia, as long as they dribbled out something for the hardcore now and then.

5 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I agree.

However I think the issue is there's nostalgia acts, and nostalgia acts.

I think everyone would be happy if 95% of this was nostalgia, as long as they dribbled out something for the hardcore now and then.

Everyone sees things different but I would say songs like Locomotive, SOYL, Coma, Estranged, Dead Horse, DTJ and I guess even CD stuff are for the hardcre fans. I do realize you were referring to new music though.  

Edited by Tom-Ass

@Tom-Ass.  @Sydney Fan.  Well said. :lol:Just facts and to the point.        May I add, repeating myself, there is no market, no buying audience,  no radio play. They can never capture AFD to UYIs be write those kind of songs. Leave your great catalog be your work.  Age, times, lifestyles, of course, are different. I think too, legally, that is just a too complicated headache so not worth it to mess up the professional vibe they have.                           @RussTCB @Its Tino. Well said. :PThey should just be honest. Just say no. Not in the plans. They are not an honest 3 ,lol, as you know. I get the 568 million business and counting, but it would vastly reduce sales to no new product.          I AGREE with everyone, they have enough of their own product to mix up the set lists. A must is play all radio hits. Then mix it up with everything else.  Yeah I get about how song list is working lighting and sound director, time frame, etc. They still could mix it up. Have 4 concert song lists. Like football plays, elementary Kindergarten lesson plans, opps. Personal here. :P

• Like 2

How long have we been strung along with the follow up to CD? I get lineup changes have thrown a wrench into the works but you have to question they're true intentions when touring becomes there main focus for almost five years & completing previously recorded material, if they have recorded between tour legs then fair enough but who really knows!