The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

7 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Axl will be dead in 15-30 years. We will hear new music then when Fernando needs to find another way to continue making money from Axl's legacy.

I've been afraid of that being a possibility for a couple of years now :/

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

The leaks back then had some type of affect on things. It’s def not the main reason yet you can’t dismiss it entirely. Anyone who had curious interest in the material had the means and probably did hear it. That was true for any artist during that time. If it had connected with people, there would have been more sales. Especially the first week regardless of the amount of Best Buy Stores compared to Walmart’s. Would it be substantially much more than what they did? Prob not, but maybe it gets them a number 1 release week 1. Anything after that you can contribute to the band not supporting the release with touring, press, etc... Maybe they could have helped it dropping off the face of the charts by supporting it. It’s true they had no help from UMG and Best Buy didn’t know what they were doing. However the band could have picked up some of that slack...and they didn’t. You just weren’t going to get steady sales after the first week in that music business climate. It happened the every artist not named Adele. You were just fighting to hold off the steep decline. Nobody in the GNR camp was bothered/ordered to try....

As far as these recent leaks? No one outside of the board community heard them or probably even cares to hear to them. Unless it’s streaming somewhere, no one is downloading files. It has little bearing on anything that gets released from it. 

The climate is a bit murky for what they need to release something through their label. A failed tour does not help things here. If they are forced to go on hiatus due to market over saturating/low sales, nothing is getting released until they can tour again. 

If that happens blame management/the artist. You can’t keep accepting tours and expect things to keep going. Sometimes you have to say no if you’re truly thinking about long term objectives to set them up. Something tells me it’s a bleed it dry situation 

Leaked material definitely affects the band and management. Just look at sales of the Locked N' Loaded set, and the Super Deluxe. True, they were both overpriced at the outset, but when no one wants to buy them because they'd already found all the unreleased tracks online years before, there's no incentive for the band to record anything new if they assume the same thing is going to happen.

All of you who heard the leaked songs a few months ago got instant gratification by hearing something "new", even if it was unfinished. To the band, though, it's a bunch of possible material for a new album that has lost it's element of surprise, because people will now judge the final version of a song to the demo they previously found and heard online. For free.

People like me, who didn't try to find the leaked tracks, and are willing to pay for a new record, are angry. I'd bet if music pirating didn't exist, GN'R would be promoting a new album right now, instead of leaving us to guess when/if we might ever get anything new from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr. address said:

Hmmmm we'll see how attendance this summer shapes that opinion.

To be fair, they are in a weird spot business-wise: their stature kind of dictates that they release on the same scale as AC/DC, Metallica, RHCP, or Rolling Stones. With such limited space in the mainstream for rock n roll, they need a slam-dunk single for it to be worth it. If a new GN'R single were to come and go like solo Slash, Iron Maiden, or Dream Theater it would be huge disappointment for everyone.

I still think they have either internally cancelled a release for this year, or still might release this summer. There's no other explanation as to why they would be playing the Super Bowl and booking a US stadium tour. Poor attendance this summer practically guarantees they will not be on the road next summer, and they certainly wouldn't release any 30th anni UYI packages alongside a new album.

So, no new music this summer likely means nothing until 2022 at least.

Well of course there’s a reason to book these shows....$$$ 

As far as reissues, poor attendance probably won’t stop them. If anything it keeps the name sort of fresh. UMG knows exactly how they would sell, and if it would be worth doing a reissue campaign 

Again as far as new music, if the tour doesn’t sell well, nothing is getting released until they at least tour again. Which would be after a hiatus until big markets have demand again. 

It’s pretty apparent that a release isn’t in their priorities right now. If anything, it’s a nice if it happens or maybe a scenario presents itself where it can help. Right now, new music isn’t selling more tickets 

1 hour ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Leaked material definitely affects the band and management. Just look at sales of the Locked N' Loaded set, and the Super Deluxe. True, they were both overpriced at the outset, but when no one wants to buy them because they'd already found all the unreleased tracks online years before, there's no incentive for the band to record anything new if they assume the same thing is going to happen.

All of you who heard the leaked songs a few months ago got instant gratification by hearing something "new", even if it was unfinished. To the band, though, it's a bunch of possible material for a new album that has lost it's element of surprise, because people will now judge the final version of a song to the demo they previously found and heard online. For free.

People like me, who didn't try to find the leaked tracks, and are willing to pay for a new record, are angry. I'd bet if music pirating didn't exist, GN'R would be promoting a new album right now, instead of leaving us to guess when/if we might ever get anything new from them.

I'm not one to avoid listening to leaks if I happen to come across one. I'm also not one that routinely looks for them nor is adept at finding them beyond say, Youtube (which is always removed quickly). But I do recall hearing many of the CD songs years before that album finally dropped. And would do so again if they did record new material.

That said, what you said makes a lot of sense to me. And I understand the POV.

Edited by thunderram

while on the toilet with poor ventilation and having eaten basically no fiber in the last 3 weeks, I just had a hallucination that I believe came from the year 2028: a new album came out followed by a tour and everyone bitched about the amount of new music being played vs. AFD songs and have started an internet riot demanding no more new music and that Adler and Izzy need to return.

I really need to start eating prunes.  

• Haha 4

Nobody outside of the hardcore fan base has even heard nor gives a shit about the “leaks.” The new material when released properly (doesn’t even have to be promoted properly) will sell like hot cakes because of the nostalgia that exists via Axl and Slash being on the same song after all many years apart yadda, yadda, yadda you know the drill. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr. address said:

Hmmmm we'll see how attendance this summer shapes that opinion.

To be fair, they are in a weird spot business-wise: their stature kind of dictates that they release on the same scale as AC/DC, Metallica, RHCP, or Rolling Stones. With such limited space in the mainstream for rock n roll, they need a slam-dunk single for it to be worth it. If a new GN'R single were to come and go like solo Slash, Iron Maiden, or Dream Theater it would be huge disappointment for everyone.

I still think they have either internally cancelled a release for this year, or still might release this summer. There's no other explanation as to why they would be playing the Super Bowl and booking a US stadium tour. Poor attendance this summer practically guarantees they will not be on the road next summer, and they certainly wouldn't release any 30th anni UYI packages alongside a new album.

So, no new music this summer likely means nothing until 2022 at least.

Or maybe they'll mess up the UYI reissue like they did the AFD one and release it a year late (in 2022). Then that might delay a new album further.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

The songs were mostly available to anyone who had interest years before the release. By 2007 most of it was available in high quality. To think it didn’t hurt things in some fashion just isn’t true. Not saying it was the main reason but it certainly had some affect 

The fact is these songs were available in some fashion for years and couldn’t be immediately purchased. By the time they were, the moment had passed. Whether that’s an impulse buy or someone who at that time wanted to support it. It was a lost opportunity on some level. 

I suppose this would be highly debatable. You’d need some sort of a major survey consisting of casual fans, die-hards, and anyone within and outside these hypothetical boundaries. And then start asking how much it affected them, and to what extent do they pirate stuff etc. Impossible.

In any case, I understand it would have had quite some impact if it happened differently. Not the way it did – individual songs being gradually added to the live playlist, with leaks successively arriving in better quality. If in fact there was nothing, not new tunes played, no leaks whatsoever, and then suddenly in 2007 or so, a bunch of leaks of great quality (like last year) would emerge – then I suppose a number of people would go nah, fuck that, it doesn’t sound like SCOM, and what the hell is this Shackler shit, it sounds like fucking Korn!

But the history was different, and people had time to get used to the new stuff, even if they didn’t hear a single leak. So, I don’t think it really hurt the band; besides, anyone still could have given it a go online before the actual purchase and then not buy it if they didn’t like it.

42 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Leaked material had me thinking and talking about Guns again, had me wanting and going to see a show last October, and has put me active on the forum again. What else does this band want us to talk about? If Axl rasps one line in Welcome to the Jungle?

All the band is interested in now is $$$$. They don’t give a rats ass what we talk about

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I gotta say, it'd be utterly depressing if the next album we get from GNR comes posthumously. I've seen a few fans speculate about Team Brazil cashing in after Axl dies (in hopefully many, many years from now). I have no doubt that folks like Fernando would do this, but as a big fan of a few deceased artists, I feel I can say with some authority that it's never the same once the artist has passed on. I've listened to all the posthumous material from MJ and even Prince (who has a tonne of unreleased material), but nothing beats the excitement of getting a new album from the artist when they're still alive. A musical statement which the artist oversaw and gave their stamp of approval over will always trump a posthumous cash-in release.

If Axl doesn't want something to be released I just suppose he will destroy it before he dies so someone doesn't release it posthumously against his will. Just imagine that, Axl burning the vault because he is not happy with it and don't want it out. He erased an early version of This I Love, didn't he? Maybe the vault is already gone.

13 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

If Axl doesn't want something to be released I just suppose he will destroy it before he dies so someone doesn't release it posthumously against his will. Just imagine that, Axl burning the vault because he is not happy with it and don't want it out. He erased an early version of This I Love, didn't he? Maybe the vault is already gone.

And yet part of the vault is on my hard drive.

And how would Axl know when he's going to die?

6 minutes ago, soon said:

And yet part of the vault is on my hard drive.

And how would Axl know when he's going to die?

I think we only have a fraction of the vault.

I meant, when he has given up any hope of finishing the music himself and realize their is a possibility it would be released posthumously. 

11 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I meant, when he has given up any hope of finishing the music himself and realize their is a possibility it would be released posthumously. 

I love how we talk about this vault like it’s this mythological object that’s under lock and key. We’re talking about a few hard drives and DAT tapes here that’s probably backed up on some server. 

Anyways, I’m sure there is a ton of stuff we haven’t heard that’s in various forms of completion. I find the posthumous talk is a bit too much. I don’t feel things are that dire. Nor should it be the focal point of discussion. 

They probably have stuff that can be ready for release in short order. Whether that’s a single, ep length, or album is another thing. It seems like they don’t want to release it for the sake of releasing something. It feels that there needs to be a purpose behind it and for it be worth their time/energy to let go (the same can be said for UMG). It takes two to tangle there. 

The focus for this band is obviously currently cashing in on touring revenue. It won’t last forever. We’ll see once things dwindle, how these guys look at the long term function of the band. If they release anything, it will be most likely that it’s time for them to do so strategically to set something up. Whether that’s a tour, to fulfill record contracts, try and get synch deals or other endeavors. 

Hearing new material is not lost. The thought of GNR and new material being some cultural revolution in music has most likely passed. The more those expectations dwindle, the more the reality of the situation reveals itself. 

27 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I agree that theres plenty more. And who knows, if Axl has gotten better at securing it from leaking, Axl might be the only one who can control if we ever hear whatever he's been up to post CD sessions. But I tend to think that there are both colleagues and fans who have a lot of the material too.

Just spit balling, but is there any reason for us to think Axl opposes posthumous releases? Because his actions almost point to him desiring that - he writes and records music with no sign of it being released by him. 

6 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

I love how we talk about this vault like it’s this mythological object that’s under lock and key. We’re talking about a few hard drives and DAT tapes here that’s probably backed up on some server. 

Anyways, I’m sure there is a ton of stuff we haven’t heard that’s in various forms of completion. I find the posthumous talk is a bit too much. I don’t feel things are that dire. Nor should it be the focal point of discussion. 

They probably have stuff that can be ready for release in short order. Whether that’s a single, ep length, or album is another thing. It seems like they don’t want to release it for the sake of releasing something. It feels that there needs to be a purpose behind it and for it be worth their time/energy to let go (the same can be said for UMG). It takes two to tangle there. 

The focus for this band is obviously currently cashing in on touring revenue. It won’t last forever. We’ll see once things dwindle, how these guys look at the long term function of the band. If they release anything, it will be most likely that it’s time for them to do so strategically to set something up. Whether that’s a tour, to fulfill record contracts, try and get synch deals or other endeavors. 

Hearing new material is not lost. The thought of GNR and new material being some cultural revolution in music has most likely passed. The more those expectations dwindle, the more the reality of the situation reveals itself. 

I agree that it is dire and I share your optimistic outlook. I am sure Axl will release some of this material. I just fear that if that happens, the hope of hearing it posthumously might be misplaced. But yes, that is gloomy and will hopefully never be relevant. Here's to music either while touring or as soon as they end it! Cheers!

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've been afraid of that being a possibility for a couple of years now :/

Sadly, I think that's exactly what will happen.  Right now, TB is doing what pads their bank accounts, and right now that's booking shows.  They're not GNR fans.  They don't give a fuck about new music....Until it suits them financially.  That could be when Axl kicks it and/or when he's unable to call the shots and tour for whatever reason. That vault is chock full of good stuff.  You can count on it. 

• GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, soon said:

Just spit balling, but is there any reason for us to think Axl opposes posthumous releases? Because his actions almost point to him desiring that - he writes and records music with no sign of it being released by him. 

We know he can be painstakingly perfectionist and opposed to anything being released before he considers it completed. But who knows? Maybe he will just go, "fuck it, I can't be bothered to work on this anymore and it is getting more and more dated and irrelevant to what Guns N' Roses is today, so I will just release it as is." If anything, Axl is quite incomprehensible to me and keeps on surprising me. 

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I gotta say, it'd be utterly depressing if the next album we get from GNR comes posthumously. I've seen a few fans speculate about Team Brazil cashing in after Axl dies (in hopefully many, many years from now). I have no doubt that folks like Fernando would do this, but as a big fan of a few deceased artists, I feel I can say with some authority that it's never the same once the artist has passed on. I've listened to all the posthumous material from MJ and even Prince (who has a tonne of unreleased material), but nothing beats the excitement of getting a new album from the artist when they're still alive. A musical statement which the artist oversaw and gave their stamp of approval over will always trump a posthumous cash-in release.

I agree

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think Fernando/TB is going to have sole possession of the vault though. I think Slash and Duff may also have a say in what happens to the contents.

3 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Sadly, I think that's exactly what will happen.  Right now, TB is doing what pads their bank accounts, and right now that's booking shows. 

I am quite certain they book shows because that's what Axl tells them to do. This idea that TB runs the show is quite amusing to me. I can't think of another artist as steadfast and fiercely independent as Axl and to think someone's got him wrapped around their fingers as some management's slave, doesn't at all seem plausible to me. 

2 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree

I don't think Fernando/TB is going to have sole possession of the vault though. I think Slash and Duff may also have a say in what happens to the contents.

I was thinking about the music created when they weren't in the band. Granted, they did record 7 songs in late 1996 when Slash was still in the band, but most of the current vault were created after this. What they have done since 2016 is anyone's guess, but I doubt it comprises an amount anyway comparable to what was created in 1997-2014.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am quite certain they book shows because that's what Axl tells them to do. This idea that TB runs the show is quite amusing to me. I can't think of another artist as steadfast and fiercely independent as Axl and to think someone's got him wrapped around their fingers as some management's slave, doesn't at all seem plausible to me. 

I was thinking about the music created when they weren't in the band. Granted, they did record 7 songs in late 1996 when Slash was still in the band, but most of the current vault were created after this. What they have done since 2016 is anyone's guess, but I doubt it comprises an amount anyway comparable to what was created in 1997-2014.

Sure, but I highly doubt that Ashba or whoever is going to suddenly be given part ownership of the vault. Far more likely that Slash and Duff will have a say in it.

9 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Sure, but I highly doubt that Ashba or whoever is going to suddenly be given part ownership of the vault. Far more likely that Slash and Duff will have a say in it.

There’s 2 GNR entities from my understanding.  One that exists with the 3 partners and then Axl’s GNR which consists of the CD era. 

Anything that includes Slash most likely is being done under the original partnership umbrella. Anything else that is from the CD era is probably still under Axl’s control. Tommy, Ashba, Finck, etc while still  have writing credits/royalties if stuff is released, don’t have the power to decide what’s done with the material 

Edited by guitarpatch

15 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

We know he can be painstakingly perfectionist and opposed to anything being released before he considers it completed. But who knows? Maybe he will just go, "fuck it, I can't be bothered to work on this anymore and it is getting more and more dated and irrelevant to what Guns N' Roses is today, so I will just release it as is." If anything, Axl is quite incomprehensible to me and keeps on surprising me. 

Speaking of Axl being incomprehensible, it strikes me as an 'Axl thought' to in fact plan a trilogy of albums to be released after his death, one album every Halloween or whatever, lol.

With NuGuns material sitting there and Duff and Slash back one option would be for Axl to release his NuGuns tracks as solo material. This would, in theory, remove the burden of needing to match Guns success/perfection with it. He can release a track or two whenever SMKC and Duff are doing their own thing. Hopefully some new Guns releases with Slash and Duff too, of course.

• Like 3